PDA

View Full Version : Taylor restructures contract

mesaSteeler
04-21-2009, 10:00 PM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/04/taylor-restructures-contract.html

Taylor restructures contract

Ian Whetstone, the resident capologist at SteelCityInsider.com, found that the Steelers have restructured the contract of cornerback Ike Taylor, freeing up $430,000 in cap space by giving him that money in signing bonus instead.

It's been something the Steelers have done a good job of doing over the years as a way to free up space.

SteelCityInsider.com's Jim Wexell has confirmed the rumors that were being bandied about the Steelers media room Monday that running back Gary Russell was released due to a run-in with the law.

Russell apparently was staying with a friend at a Columbus, Ohio home that was raided by police. A large stash of marijuana was found.

Russell apparently has not been charged with any crime, but the Steelers did not want the situation to become a distraction.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert did not deny that the Steelers talked to the Buffalo Bills about wide receiver/return man Roscoe Parrish, but said that they have contact with all teams leading up to the draft to find out who might be available.

That said, the Steelers are very tight against the salary cap and a trade is unlikely.

Hapa
04-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Didn't Taylor restructure his contract last year?

lilyoder6
04-21-2009, 10:12 PM
nice of taylor to do that for the team..
he such a nice guy...

ShutDown24
04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Taylor is awesome. He might be the most committed player the Steelers have to the organization. This is the second year in a row he's done this.

tyler289
04-21-2009, 10:36 PM
So Gary did have a run-in with the police. Huh. Had no idea.

steelwall
04-21-2009, 10:40 PM
So Gary did have a run-in with the police. Huh. Had no idea.

Well he should fit right in with his new team then...:hug:

BlastFurnace
04-21-2009, 10:46 PM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/04/taylor-restructures-contract.html

Taylor restructures contract

Ian Whetstone, the resident capologist at SteelCityInsider.com, found that the Steelers have restructured the contract of cornerback Ike Taylor, freeing up $430,000 in cap space by giving him that money in signing bonus instead.

It's been something the Steelers have done a good job of doing over the years as a way to free up space.

SteelCityInsider.com's Jim Wexell has confirmed the rumors that were being bandied about the Steelers media room Monday that running back Gary Russell was released due to a run-in with the law.

Russell apparently was staying with a friend at a Columbus, Ohio home that was raided by police. A large stash of marijuana was found.

Russell apparently has not been charged with any crime, but the Steelers did not want the situation to become a distraction.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert did not deny that the Steelers talked to the Buffalo Bills about wide receiver/return man Roscoe Parrish, but said that they have contact with all teams leading up to the draft to find out who might be available.

That said, the Steelers are very tight against the salary cap and a trade is unlikely.

A poster at steelernation.com broke this story about Russell the day he was released. It's a shame that it ended up being true.

tony hipchest
04-21-2009, 10:51 PM
taylor did restructure last year. im suprised the steelers keep dipping into the "bank of ike" as opposed to looking at hines, or ben.

but aside from ike and mr. dan rooney exchanging "fist bumps" before every game, i would say the 2 have a pretty close connection. i am almost certain there is a verbal commtment to eachother for the longterm future, based on nothing but trust.

it is the steelers way. im ptetty confident in ike recieving a 3rd contract tha t will probably enable him to retire as a steeler. he is the best CB we have had since r. woodson (and has more rings) and that is saying alot.

Steelman16
04-21-2009, 10:55 PM
So Gary was the inside dealer and got busted? :laughing:

Southern Steelers
04-21-2009, 11:27 PM
IF Ike had good hands he would be a top 5 in the NFL CB. As it stands he is in the top 10 and I love the guy.

ShutDown24
04-21-2009, 11:35 PM
IF Ike had good hands he would be a top 5 in the NFL CB. As it stands he is in the top 10 and I love the guy.

If Ike had good hands he wouldn't have left the offensive side of the ball in college, so really, he wouldn't be any better of a corner because he wouldn't be a corner :flap:

steelerguy26
04-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Gotta love Ike. Not only his he great at shutting up big mouth wide recievers such as Chad Johnson but he is a team player to boot.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2009, 12:20 AM
So, are they freeing up cap space to extend Miller, or something else?? I think a restructure/extension of Ward would be the next logical move.

Galax Steeler
04-22-2009, 03:30 AM
So, are they freeing up cap space to extend Miller, or something else?? I think a restructure/extension of Ward would be the next logical move.

I was just getting ready to ask who might be next to get restructured and you are probably right.

paw-n-maul-u
04-22-2009, 04:00 AM
with the little cap room we do have ... I see us doing a decent amount of wheeling and dealing in the later rounds.

I would love to see a first round trade down and a lot of late round trade ups.

GBMelBlount
04-22-2009, 05:24 AM
with the little cap room we do have ... I see us doing a decent amount of wheeling and dealing in the later rounds.

I would love to see a first round trade down and a lot of late round trade ups.

I dunno. It is usually such a crap shoot after the first two or three rounds imo. Plus, I wouldn't mind trading up if there was an o-line stud left in the mid/ladder first round. :noidea:

GBMelBlount
04-22-2009, 05:27 AM
taylor did restructure last year. im suprised the steelers keep dipping into the "bank of ike" as opposed to looking at hines, or ben.

ya, I wish Ben and Hines wouldn't be so greedy and selfish and..... :chuckle: (j/k)

stillers4me
04-22-2009, 05:50 AM
Well he should fit right in with his new team then...:hug:

That was the first thing I thought of...... :chuckle:

Who Dey! :popcorn:

Fire Haley
04-22-2009, 06:34 AM
We like Ike!

We like Ike!

bigjamesharrison2
04-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Way to take one for the team! (again)

Rek
04-23-2009, 03:19 PM
I Like Ike.

revefsreleets
04-24-2009, 09:00 AM

Could be. And it would go a long way towards what Ward said during his holdout (although many thought it was BS) when he talked about it not being about the money, but being appreaciated (or something in that vein).

If he restructures into some kind of hometown deal, he shows that he's stand-up and also that he's totally serious about retiring a Steeler. IMO he increases his HOF chances staying with one team, going out on his terms, and not "jumping the shark" signing some shitty 5 year backloaded deal to catch 40 passes a year for the Lions just to get paid.

steelreserve
04-24-2009, 11:48 AM

I bet they wait until next offseason to deal with a lot of the Ward/Miller/Keisel/Hampton/Holmes/Clark contract situation, if only because all the expiring contracts mean almost $50 million in cap space will be coming off the books (if there is a cap) and there won't be the 30% rule.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah, maybe the just freed up some room to sign Ratliff.

I think the signing priorities next year will be Miller, Holmes and either Hampton or Keisel, but not both.

lilyoder6
04-24-2009, 12:30 PM
or maybe they just making some more room for the incoming rookie contracts