PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania Men Attempting Record Send 217,000 Text Messages, Get $26G Bill

Galax Steeler
04-22-2009, 05:27 AM
PHILADELPHIA — Their thumbs sure must be sore.

Two central Pennsylvania friends spent most of March in a text-messaging record attempt, exchanging a thumbs-flying total of 217,000.

For one of the two, that meant an inches-thick itemized bill for $26,000.

Nick Andes, 29, and Doug Klinger, 30, were relying on their unlimited text messaging plans to get them through the escapade, so Andes didn't expect such a big bill.

"It came in a box that cost $27.55 to send to me," he said Tuesday. He said he "panicked" and called T-Mobile, which told The Associated Press it had credited his account and was investigating the charges.

The two Lancaster-area residents have been practically nonstop texters for about a decade since they attended Berks Technical Institute together.

That led Andes to search for the largest monthly text message total he could find posted online: 182,000 sent in 2005 by Deepak Sharma in India.

Andes and Klinger were able to set up their phones to send multiple messages. During a February test run they found they could send 6,000 or 7,000 messages on some days, prompting the March messaging marathon.

"Most were either short phrases or one word, 'LOL' or 'Hello,' things like that, with tons and tons of repeats," said Andes, reached by phone.

Andes sent more than 140,000 messages, and Klinger sent more than 70,000 to end the month with a total of just over 217,000, he said.

A spokesman for Guinness World Records didn't immediately return messages asking whether it would be certified as a record.

April came as a relief to Andes' wife, Julie, who had found his phone tied up with texting when she tried to call him on lunch breaks.

"She was tired of it the first few days into it," Andes said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517363,00.html

Hammer Of The GODS
04-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Just a couple of dumbasses with too much free time. :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
04-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Seriously...I hope they are forced to pay the bill or go to jail for not paying it.

People are So Dumb!

xfl2001fan
04-22-2009, 10:22 AM
They won't pay a dime...they had unlimited text...

This may cause a change in the policy by T Mobile...or at least a change in the rates for all users...but those two won't pay a penny.

tony hipchest
04-22-2009, 11:23 AM
:sissies: so gay. :dang:

fansince'76
04-22-2009, 12:03 PM

:iagree: What he said.

Preacher
04-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey TOny.. Let's start a Posting marathon on a message board!!!!

Who knows what we can talk about....

Politics?
Why Willie Parker Sucks?
WHy we can't trust the front office?
What to do with the OL?
Fire Bruce Arians?
Fire coach Z?

Any of those look good enough to start a marathon with me? Maybe we can be famous!!

xfl2001fan
04-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Wait, I want in. Have you not seen my sig? Ima :pw:

Dino 6 Rings
04-22-2009, 09:42 PM

Politics?
Why Willie Parker Sucks?
What to do with the OL?
Fire Bruce Arians?
Fire coach Z?

Any of those look good enough to start a marathon with me? Maybe we can be famous!!

Don't forget

Big Ben is Over Rated
Who is going to replace Hines
Our Secondary isn't good enough.

tony hipchest
04-22-2009, 10:40 PM

Politics?
Why Willie Parker Sucks?
What to do with the OL?
Fire Bruce Arians?
Fire coach Z?

Any of those look good enough to start a marathon with me? !!

sounds good to me! :thumbsup:

"i'll take politics for $100, alex"

Maybe we can be famousi'll have better luck with that, than being "tim lumber". :noidea:

KeiselPower99
04-22-2009, 10:54 PM
HAHA Jackass.

Steelman16
04-23-2009, 12:36 AM
i'll have better luck with that, than being "tim lumber". :noidea:

Seriously Tony, how'd you come up with "Tim Lumber"? He's now legendary fail in the annals of SF history. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
04-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Seriously Tony, how'd you come up with "Tim Lumber"? He's now legendary fail in the annals of SF history. :chuckle:

its easy (anatomically anyways). toe.. knee... hip... chest...
= middle name is "dick".

tim lumber = ravenfan tryin to ""lay tha wood" = dick.

:hunch: either way, it works for me. :chuckle:

dick....

:shout:..... DICK!!!!!!!!!!!

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 07:22 AM

AMEN! People will do just about anything these days to get their names in the spotlight. :shake01:

hindes204
04-23-2009, 06:22 PM
morons

steelreserve
04-24-2009, 03:06 PM
This may cause a change in the policy by T Mobile...or at least a change in the rates for all users...

Not likely. Text messages are piggybacked within the background "carrier" signal that maintains connectivity between your phone and the network. That's why they're limited to 160 characters -- it's the most that can fit in the background signal at once. They don't take up any bandwidth, and they don't cost the phone company anything at all to transmit.

There's already a congressional investigation underway against the three major cell phone companies for when they mysteriously all raised their rates to 20 cents per text message at the same time. They were already making billions when it was 10 cents per message, because text messages are basically free and unlimited for the phone company.