mesaSteeler
04-22-2009, 07:42 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_621681.html#

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Steelers' Miller also looking for new deal

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Count tight end Heath Miller among the Steelers who want to play their entire NFL career in Pittsburgh.

With Miller, though, his desire to finish what he started with the Steelers takes on more urgency, as he approaches his final season under contract with the team that selected him in the first round of the 2005 draft.

Miller is one of several Steelers who could be entering next season wondering when or if they will re-sign before becoming free agents.

"Obviously, I'd love to be a Steeler, and I'd love to spend my whole career here. But at the same time, I realize this is a business. You don't really know what's going to happen," Miller said Tuesday following the Steelers' final Organized Team Activity (OTA) of the week.

Miller is represented by Tom Condon, who is considered one of the top player agents and has a reputation for delivering big contracts for his clients.

The Steelers recently signed Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison to a six-year, $51.175-million contract. Like Miller, Harrison also was entering the final year of his deal.

Miller, 26, said he isn't aware of any Condon discussions with the Steelers on a new contract.

"There's really no point in focusing on it, because when it comes down to it, none of us really has control over what's going to happen," Miller said. "I'm just focused on becoming a better player and getting ready for the upcoming season."

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Monday the Steelers want to re-sign some of their players who will be entering their final year before the start of next season. However, Colbert also said the team is struggling to create room under the salary cap, as evidenced by the decision to release running back Gary Russell in order to sign quarterback Charlie Batch for the start of OTAs.

Signing Miller, who established a career-high with 48 receptions in 2008, to a long-term contract is the best option for both sides. The Steelers also could designate Miller the franchise player after next season while working on a new deal.

"We'll see what happens," Miller said. "I'll keep my fingers crossed, and we'll see what happens."

Miller noted the large turnout of players attending the voluntary workouts as a sign the Steelers are committed to defending their Super Bowl title.

"Every year, you set out to win the Super Bowl, and there's no better feeling when you accomplish that," he said. "The thing you cherish is the journey along the way and the memories you accumulate.

"It feels good to get back in the swing of things, get your mind on the playbook and see some of the guys you haven't seen in a while," Miller said. "I think it speaks to the character of our team. We've got a lot of guys who like to work, who enjoy being around each other. I'm not sure how much that will help in the fall, but it definitely can't hurt."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Images and text copyright 2009 by The Tribune-Review Publishing Co.
Reproduction or reuse prohibited without written consent from PghTrib.com

Steel Head
04-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Heath Miller is like the Aaron Smith of our offense....an underrated, unsung hero

scsteeler
04-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Heath Miller is like the Aaron Smith of our offense....an underrated, unsung hero

yes he is.

BlastFurnace
04-22-2009, 08:46 AM

Perfectly stated. This is so true.

lilyoder6
04-22-2009, 08:59 AM
miller needs to get his deal done.. i wouldn't mind giving him a nice 5-6 yr deal

DoubleSh0t
04-22-2009, 09:11 AM
No reason why he wouldn't be re-signed unless he wants too much money (which I doubt). He's still young and definitely one of the better TE's in the league.

BubbyBrister
04-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Agreed to all above.

He is quite possibly my favorite Steeler.

vasteeler
04-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Agreed to all above.

He is quite possibly my favorite Steeler.

Dude i have to ask why Bubby Brister?

Jackal
04-22-2009, 12:03 PM
I concur. His steady hands and solid blocking make him a cornerstone of this offense. I'm confident both sides will agree to terms when the time comes.

DuckSteelers
04-22-2009, 12:07 PM
I concur. His steady hands and solid blocking make him a cornerstone of this offense. I'm confident both sides will agree to terms when the time comes.

completely agree they will have something worked out before the start of the new season

triphahn
04-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Solid as it gets with great hands. I think most everyone sees him as the next priority to get signed.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
And Miller won't be asking for Kellen Winslow type jack because he doesn't have the same pass catching stats that Winslow, Gates, and Gonzalez have.

WeegiesWarriors
04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
What do all the expensive TE's (Winslow, Gates, Gonzalez) have in common? No Super Bowls. I wouldn't agree to appropriate large sums of money to the TE position. I think it prohibits you from spending on other positions.

I like him, but I wouldn't give him anything near what Tampa gave Winslow. What scares me is that I think Miller is 100 times the all-around TE that Winslow is.

I'd rather give the money to Holmes.

The Duke
04-22-2009, 03:25 PM
i know I wouldn't want Matt Spaeth replacing heath

resign him!! he'd be above ward in priority list to me

Galax Steeler
04-22-2009, 03:26 PM
We need to get Heath resigned. He is a big piece of the offense that we need to click. Winslow kind of money no but he would be worth a good contract.

stillers4me
04-22-2009, 04:24 PM
What Big Ben wants, Big Ben gets. And I have a feeling Big Ben wants Heath.

This, too, shall get done. I'm not worried.

steelerdave1969
04-22-2009, 04:44 PM

No doubt in my mind that your right about that and I hope the Steelers can keep him in Black n Gold for many more years. But I still think the Steelers need to address this area with a better blocker to help him out.

Preacher
04-22-2009, 04:45 PM
He needs to be signed to a LOOOOONG contract. say 8 years with money spread out. Roster bonuses every year after 3 years to help put some of the money on the back end. Signing bonus to be spread out over all 8 years if possible.

This is where they need to go to Ward and say, Ok, you wanna finish out here? Take the Bettis route so we can resign our future.

bigjamesharrison2
04-22-2009, 04:57 PM
I would LOVE for Heath to come back for as long as possible. Being who he is, I don't think he will ask for anything outrageous and would like to finish out as a steeler. Good Luck Signing Him!

MasterOfPuppets
04-22-2009, 05:11 PM
"Obviously, I'd love to be a Steeler, and I'd love to spend my whole career here. But at the same time, I realize this is a business. You don't really know what's going to happen," .
translation - they may not be able to afford me.

DoubleSh0t
04-22-2009, 05:17 PM

I read that a different way. To me, that means that he understands that the Steelers could draft/pick up another TE and let him walk.

BubbyBrister
04-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Dude i have to ask why Bubby Brister?

haha..b/c I remember my dad b!tching about him as a kid growing up. And, all the clever names were taken.

Carolina Steelers
04-22-2009, 05:40 PM

I kind of read the same thing Heath's got his RIng now he wants to get paid. I think Spaeth could be a good TE, not that far of a drop off from Miller. He looked good last year when he got on the field

MasterOfPuppets
04-22-2009, 05:46 PM
I read that a different way. To me, that means that he understands that the Steelers could draft/pick up another TE and let him walk.
well that would all dependS on how willing miller is to compromise on his compensation.players just spout of crap like that so they don't look like the greedy bastards they are, and to get the fans on thier side. i mean who in the hell could possibly live off 3 or 4 mill a year.....they got familys to feed ya know.....:noidea:

Kaeg
04-22-2009, 06:22 PM
It seems every time I buy a jersey, that player ends up walking by the next season. Needless to say I am NOT planning on buying a #83 until after I see a contract. To me he's the next priority on the list of people to sign.

lilyoder6
04-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I kind of read the same thing Heath's got his RIng now he wants to get paid. I think Spaeth could be a good TE, not that far of a drop off from Miller. He looked good last year when he got on the field

heath got his ring in his rookie season...

so he got his 2nd ring now

stlrz fan
04-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Heath MIller is a cosostent and reliable player and he represents the Steelers very well. I hope it can be worked.

LVSteelersfan
04-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Miller is one of my favorite players on the team. It would be a sad day in Mudville if they let him go because Spaeth is not half the player Miller is. Hopefully he takes one for the team and can eke out a living on 3 or 4 million a year. (sarcasm smiley goes here as I struggle to pay my bills yet again this month)