View Full Version : Tomlin happy with intact offensive line

mesaSteeler
04-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Tomlin happy with intact offensive line
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_621682.html#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin likes what he sees from his young offensive line.

"The same starting five that walked off the field in Tampa (following Super Bowl XLIII) was at practice and in the huddle. That's encouraging," Tomlin said earlier this week.

"I'm optimistic about what they're capable of being, and that's probably why that group is together," Tomlin said. "They're growing, they're young guys -- either in age or playing-time experience, definitely in terms of group cohesion. I think the arrow is up on those guys individually and collectively. We're excited about what they're capable of being."

Left tackle Max Starks (27), left guard Chris Kemoeatu (26) and right tackle Willie Colon (26) all signed new contracts this offseason.

Center Justin Hartwig (30) is the oldest starter. Right guard Darnell Stapleton (23) is the youngest.

MVP present

Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes and inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons attended Tuesday's OTA session, reducing the number of players who didn't attend the two-day voluntary workouts to six.

Pro Bowl strong safety Troy Polamalu, running back Willie Parker, free safety Ryan Clark, inside linebacker Larry Foote, strong safety Tyrone Carter and defensive end Nick Eason were not present either day. Defensive end Aaron Smith, who attended Monday's session, was absent yesterday.

Draft doings

In 73 previous drafts, the Steelers have selected in the first round all but seven. The Steelers' 2009 draft class will make its first official visit to Pittsburgh on May 1-3 for the team's mandatory minicamp.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

ShutDown24
04-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I would be happy as well, and I am. The only spot that we would potentially need to update immediately would be center and Hartwig is still serviceable. I would say right tackle also, but the staff seems to be very set on Colon at right tackle so I won't argue.

Honestly, the offensive line issue gets blown way out of proportion. We won a title with the help of this group, and not despite them. They can survive another season.

Steel Head
04-22-2009, 09:06 AM
I would be happy as well, and I am. The only spot that we would potentially need to update immediately would be center and Hartwig is still serviceable. I would say right tackle also, but the staff seems to be very set on Colon at right tackle so I won't argue.

I disagree.

An easy immediate upgrade would be replacing Stapleton. If we draft Alex Mack or Wood, they can start at RG for a year and then replace Hartwig the following year

Stapleton is a decent backup but not starter material imo.

Hartwig gets a bad wrap imo. He played well more often than not. A lot of the sacks given up through the middle seemed to be from miscommunication between Hartwig and the Guards (both guards were 1st year starters and Kemo is dumb as a rock). Either way, Hartwig was a HUGE upgrade over Mahan......we dont win the SB with that scrub Mahan under center for sure

steelcurtain4392
04-22-2009, 09:26 AM
I like the idea of the drafting of an offensive linemen in the first round. Duke Robinson seems to be a perfect fit for the hard-nosed steelers

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2009, 09:31 AM
I disagree.

An easy immediate upgrade would be replacing Stapleton. If we draft Alex Mack or Wood, they can start at RG for a year and then replace Hartwig the following year

Stapleton is a decent backup but not starter material imo.

Hartwig gets a bad wrap imo. He played well more often than not. A lot of the sacks given up through the middle seemed to be from miscommunication between Hartwig and the Guards (both guards were 1st year starters and Kemo is dumb as a rock). Either way, Hartwig was a HUGE upgrade over Mahan......we dont win the SB with that scrub Mahan under center for sure Great Post!!!! I completely agree.

Think of a right side of Hartwig, Mack, Colon and Miller on the line of scrimmage and pulling Kemo from the left side on a running play. That would be a powerful run blocking line. :banana:

scsteeler
04-22-2009, 09:31 AM
I like the idea of drafting O-linemen but would be fine with the current line we have in tact. This line got better late in the season and should be much better this year with our RB's being totally healthy again.

KeiselPower99
04-22-2009, 09:45 AM
RG is a pressing need.

billybob
04-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I think most everyone knows how i feel about the o-line. To me they are the " MACH 5" baby. I think in the end they could make us very proud. All they need is time together , which they did not have much of last season. But as i had noted, when they needed to most they did pull closer together in the end.
They should only get better !

revefsreleets
04-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Oh boy...this has the potential to be a 300 post thread.

When some of the usual suspects get around to second guessing the coaches (who obviously know far, far less about their team than internet MB posters), we could be in for a long ride here...

Steel Head
04-22-2009, 01:01 PM

When some of the usual suspects get around to second guessing the coaches (who obviously know far, far less about their team than internet MB posters), we could be in for a long ride here...

We are definitely in for a long ride with pointless posts like these that add nothing to the discussion of the thread topic

billybob
04-22-2009, 01:10 PM
We are definitely in for a long ride with posts like these that have nothing to do with the thread

The " MACH 5 " has everything to do with this thread sir. Tomlins happy with them , i'm happy with them , i love it !!!!!!!
Only difference is , i'm sure coach mike doesn't refer to his o-line as the " MACH 5 ". You could see a mile away that this front office and the coaches, saw something in this group that "most" fans could not pick out.
Guess cause they know a little more than we do.

X-Terminator
04-22-2009, 01:11 PM
I like the idea of drafting O-linemen but would be fine with the current line we have in tact. This line got better late in the season and should be much better this year with our RB's being totally healthy again.

That, of course, is the reasoning behind the Steelers retaining all of their linemen - continuity. There's nothing wrong with that, but at the same time, you'd have to be blind or simply don't care to not realize that they need a major upgrade (NOT calling you out specifically). There's no guarantee that these guys will be any better than they were last year.

triphahn
04-22-2009, 01:13 PM
I think some of the criticism they get is due to the fact that the rest of the team is so solid that they really are the weakest link. They did win a Superbowl with these guys. Tony Hills is still waiting in the wings. Guys a beast and was an impact player at the college level.

Steel Head
04-22-2009, 01:16 PM
The " MACH 5 " has everything to do with this thread sir. Tomlins happy with them , i'm happy with them , i love it !!!!!!!
Only difference is , i'm sure coach mike doesn't refer to his o-line as the " MACH 5 ". You could see a mile away that this front office and the coaches, saw something in this group that "most" fans could not pick out.
Guess cause they know a little more than we do.

Nothing wrong with your post sir

I quoted that guy who started complaining for no reason

billybob
04-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Nothing wrong with your post sir

I quoted that guy who started complaining for no reason

Cool with that , sorry my bad. I get all pumped up on o-line threads. I'm a believer !!!!!!!!!!! in what we have starting to develope with our o-line. A little time together , and smart play calling i believe they have potential to make us proud.

WeegiesWarriors
04-22-2009, 03:47 PM
It still hasn't sunk in that we won the SB with the oline we had. For me those 5 guys are the engine of the team, and to have what I would consider a below average line and win the whole damn thing gives me chills to think what could be once we piece together a good line.

Fire Haley
04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Well that settles it - we're taking a sexy WR in the 1st rd.

Remember how Tomlin says adding weapons for Ben is just as good as upgrading the O-line.

Preacher
04-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Well,

Once again I am of the opinion that we replace the Center immediately with Mack and move Hartwig over to RG for a year. The coaches seem to thing that Colon is NOT Guard material, regardless of what anyone else thinks. So I don't see him moving inside. Am I happy with a line of Kemo, Mack and Hartwig? We'll see. As I said before, Hartwig didn't get a good push... but again, moving him to Guard may fix that, as he can come straight off the snap into a defender, instead of having to snap the ball itself, and then hit.

I think Mack would be a definite upgrade over Hartwig, and Hartwig would be a BIG upgrade over Stapleton. If Hartwig works out at RG, extend his contract and focus on the D line next year in the draft.

billybob
04-22-2009, 05:31 PM
I know that the o-ine is not elite , but as Tomlin stated , the fact that they are still intact for a second time around could make a world of difference. Some feel they are playing out of position , some say they are just totally inept period. I have never bought in to that line of thinking , and i refuse to until i see there is no potential there.
Obviously , what i think really makes no difference anyhow. I do have a positive view of thier potential , and the whole staff seems to think that also. The Steelers never really followed a certain script like many other teams seem to do. They have had a history of strong centers , and o-lineman though. What do they see in these guy's that most are missing?
I believe they can refresh both lines with this draft , and i would not be at all surprised if they knew it last year. The Steeler's scouts have got to be top notch .

steelerdave1969
04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I dont really think the Steelers will take a OL in the 1st round, I think that DLine and DBack will be the choices there, but I think we all know that they will select best player available as proven last spring.. That being said.. I hope the Steelers select C Alex Mack and he is the franchise Center that we have been lacking since Dermontti Dawson days.

Preacher
04-22-2009, 05:54 PM
I know that the o-ine is not elite , but as Tomlin stated , the fact that they are still intact for a second time around could make a world of difference. Some feel they are playing out of position , some say they are just totally inept period. I have never bought in to that line of thinking , and i refuse to until i see there is no potential there.
Obviously , what i think really makes no difference anyhow. I do have a positive view of thier potential , and the whole staff seems to think that also. The Steelers never really followed a certain script like many other teams seem to do. They have had a history of strong centers , and o-lineman though. What do they see in these guy's that most are missing?
I believe they can refresh both lines with this draft , and i would not be at all surprised if they knew it last year. The Steeler's scouts have got to be top notch .

:jawdrop:

I think that is the first Billybob post I have read that was cohesive, articulate, and well, MADE SENSE.

Congrats!!

billybob
04-22-2009, 06:14 PM
:jawdrop:

I think that is the first Billybob post I have read that was cohesive, articulate, and well, MADE SENSE.

Congrats!!

Is that a compliment , or are you cutting on me "Preacher " ? Least you said you think.....that was the first one. Gotta love ya Preacher ! (LOL)

lilyoder6
04-22-2009, 07:36 PM
I think i read in an article a couple months ago that Troy doesnt attend these things because he goes to Jesus camp for his church.

i thought it was that and the fact he is his own orthodox of training that helps him the most

billybob
04-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Tomlin is like speed racer , and the o-line is like the " MACH 5 ". It is making sense how our young coach thinks.

billybob
04-22-2009, 08:14 PM
For those who don't know.

SunshineMan21
04-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I think the "we won a Super Bowl with these guys" argument is very poor.

We won a Super Bowl with these guys because we have one of the best defenses of the last quarter century, an excellent quarterback, and solid receivers.

Last year's O-line wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination--in fact, Hartwig and Starks were the only ones anywhere near average in their performance, while by any metric imaginable Kemo and Colon were abysmal.

We resigned them because we don't have a better option, but it's fairly obvious that O-line is by far the biggest need on our team. Their youth means they have the capacity to get better, but we shouldn't delude ourselves that because we managed to win it all with them we shouldn't strive to improve our area of weakness.

billybob
04-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Well again , i am not gonna sparr with what we know, and what the front office knows about our offensive line. You can not take away the lack of time they played together , and equate that to the results we achieved. Or could you?
God i love these o-line threads ! There are many more factors that went into Bens 47 or so sacks than just calling out the o-line.
I think it is simply the only weakness that fans and crytics say they have a legit case against.
Well news flash pal , the " MACH 5 " , yes , the "MACH 5 " did what was ask of them ,maybe not the way we all would have wanted them to , but none the less , did exactly what they needed to do , when they needed to do it.
I believe the # 6 is in the lobby now because of the way the offense pulled together on that winning drive, when they had to.
I must have watched a different super bowl. Least the front office and Tomlin saw the same game i was watching.

devilsdancefloor
04-22-2009, 09:05 PM
i hope another year together makes them better. But hta tbeing said we have to upgrade some how at any postion along the line especially center and LT. It would be nice if starks signed a deal to give us cap breathing space! it woud also be nice if we would know if capazzi,legursky, and hills are on the right track to be starters or are they gonna be insurance for the "mach 5" (all i can think about is shaving)? And if starks doesnt sign a contract this year i hope they send him packing!:tt03::tt03:

billybob
04-22-2009, 09:37 PM
i hope another year together makes them better. But hta tbeing said we have to upgrade some how at any postion along the line especially center and LT. It would be nice if starks signed a deal to give us cap breathing space! it woud also be nice if we would know if capazzi,legursky, and hills are on the right track to be starters or are they gonna be insurance for the "mach 5" (all i can think about is shaving)? And if starks doesnt sign a contract this year i hope they send him packing!:tt03::tt03:

I do too man , but i get exhausted sticking up for these guy's. They deserve a big welcome home in my book. I know they have a lot to learn , and we can use some refreshing on both of our lines. These guy's have been through a very educational season and managed to come out somewhat intact. Not only did we lose Faneca , we lost Simmons and Marvel to injuries. They were thrust into the positions they were in , and look what happenned. Now we may be thin , but if you ain't got faith what do ya have? Starks has been around now for a while , and he needs to man up. We actually need him to do that. He is the vet on that line as far as i am concerned . If these guy's get some reps together , i think they could be a very effective line for what our offense would like to achieve. Ben is a weapon on his own part.

Steelers & I
04-23-2009, 01:36 AM
How can Tomlin be happy with the "worst offensive line in Steelers history"??? :rofl:

The Duke
04-23-2009, 07:18 AM
How can Tomlin be happy with the "worst offensive line in Steelers history"??? :rofl:

Yeah, he should just trade them now while their value is up since they haven't proven themselves :wink02:

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 07:32 AM
It is what it is and if Coach T is content with his OL, who am I to B & M? :noidea:

revefsreleets
04-23-2009, 11:30 AM
We are definitely in for a long ride with pointless posts like these that add nothing to the discussion of the thread topic

Thank you, kind sir, for following suit and adding an even MORE pointless post compalining about mine.

At least I was ALLUDING to the fact that I'm happy letting the coaching staff do their job, which has some value in that it perpetuates the divide between all the delusional people who post on this board who are convinced they are more knowledgeable than the coaching staff and those of us who know we aren't, which MAY lead to some nice debate.

But probably not.

Meanwhile, YOUR post did nothing but pad your count.

Anyway, Tomlin was clearly stating that he has a soild foundation upon which to build. They'll let these kids grow together for a year, and toss Hills, Capizzi and whomever they draft into the mix, which will promote healthy competition in camp. That should be aceptable to any fan who doesn't have their head shoved up their ass.

As far as the rest of the nonsense, do we REALLY need 400 more posts complaining about the OL?

Steel Head
04-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Thank you, kind sir, for following suit and adding an even MORE pointless post compalining about mine.

Meanwhile, YOUR post did nothing but pad your count.

This is a message forum to discuss issues involving the Steelers

I made an intelligent post stating my opinion and so did everyone else in this thread....and there you are at post #9 whining about the thread in which nobody was out of line at all.

If you don't like the thread subject then don't post in it, simple as that

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
This is a message forum to discuss issues involving the Steelers

I made an intelligent post stating my opinion and so did everyone else in this thread....and there you are at post #9 whining about the thread in which nobody was out of line at all.

If you don't like the thread subject then don't post in it, simple as that

Yes, you did make an intelligent post stating your opinion.

If you want to avoid more whining, just dont criticize Bruce Arians, James Laurinitis, Malcolm Jenkins or any OSU player and you should be fine. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 12:03 PM
do we REALLY need 400 more posts complaining about the OL?

I agree.

Mesa should be banned. All he does is stir up trouble.

steelreserve
04-23-2009, 12:22 PM

You know, I was going to post my thoughts, but then I saw this post and realized that since I'm not on an NFL coaching staff, I'm incapable of using even basic logic and reasoning, and I'm also completely blind. How dare I have my own opinion based on the observations I've made about a sporting event -- I should be concentrating on tasks more down to my level, like making sure I don't put my eye out with a fork, or remembering to put my pants on first, THEN my shoes.

Hell, I probably shouldn't even be watching football games at all, and it's pretty dangerous to be rooting for any specific team. I should just trust everyone else to do that for me.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOO YEEEEEAH FRONT OFFICE WAY TO GET IT DOOOOONE!!!

BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE PATRIOTS RUUUUULE

revefsreleets
04-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, you did make an intelligent post stating your opinion.

If you want to avoid more whining, just dont criticize Bruce Arians, James Laurinitis, Malcolm Jenkins or any OSU player and you should be fine. :chuckle:

I love when people criticize BA and Jenkins and Lil Animal.

But only when they actually say something interesting or insightful when they do it. It's usually just "They suck" or some reasonable facsimile thereof.

As for you, reserve, I certainly appreciate the versimilitude of your latest post. Interestingly, though, I could only find one post by you originally, and it was criticizing me. How does THAT have anything to do with Steelers football?

Back to the topic at hand. I stand by my "Anyway, Tomlin was clearly stating that he has a soild foundation upon which to build. They'll let these kids grow together for a year, and toss Hills, Capizzi and whomever they draft into the mix, which will promote healthy competition in camp."

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I love when people criticize BA and Jenkins and Lil Animal.

But only when they actually say something interesting or insightful when they do it. It's usually just "They suck" or some reasonable facsimile thereof.

As for you, reserve, I certainly appreciate the versimilitude of your latest post. Interestingly, though, I could only find one post by you originally, and it was criticizing me. How does THAT have anything to do with Steelers football?

Back to the topic at hand. I stand by my "Anyway, Tomlin was clearly stating that he has a soild foundation upon which to build. They'll let these kids grow together for a year, and toss Hills, Capizzi and whomever they draft into the mix, which will promote healthy competition in camp."

Revs, please mix in some decaf. My first post in this thread was agreeing with a poster of how I would love to see a strong run blocking right side of the line of Hartwig, Mack, Colon...with Miller as end.

I wasnt criticizing you, but rather having a little fun with a new poster and you, by telling him to basically lay off the buckeyes. But, with that being said, its kind of funny that you can comment on how some fans are dillusional, but in the next breath, continue to pimp anybody from OSU like they are cant miss prospects. That seems a bit dillusional, dont you think.

Lil Animal to me is a solid LB and a guy like Posluzny or Speilman that some downgrade for lack of speed, but I personally have him going to Atlanta in the 1st if not higher. Jenkins fits a cover 2 system and there are lots of teams playing that.

As for Tomlin endorsing the O line, we will see what plays out this weekend. To me, if somebody puts a microphone in his face and asks him about the O line, D-line or anything draft related, he is gonna tell them what they want to hear.

Isnt this the same Coach Tomlin that last year said we need to get bigger and younger on both lines, but then acquired Hills in the draft, Hartwig and Roye in Free agency as this master plan? Cant read much into comments at this time of the year.

SunshineMan21
04-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Winning the Super Bowl =/= every part of your team is good.

What do you think Tomlin is going to say . . . "Our O-line was among the worst in the league last year"?

I don't disagree with the coaching staff--because I guarentee you that the coaching staff wants to upgrade the O-line.

Steel_Bus_24
04-23-2009, 03:29 PM
A FFFing 24th ranked rushing attack won't cut it if we want to keep Ben alive till he's 30. Im hoping that seeing Ben carted off the field with a freaking spinal cord concussion would make them realize he can't keep getting hit like he does.

Hes scrambling for his life back there far too many times. We need a better run game to keep Ben out of those 3rd and longs. A 24th ranked rushing attack and being dead last in short yardage conversions is not going to cut it.

I don't want to hear about Willie and Mendy being hurt either.... 70-30 blame for the OL. Hard to run when your shaking guys 1-2 yards behind the line of scrimmage all the time

SunshineMan21
04-23-2009, 03:32 PM
According to Football Outsiders' metrics, our O-line is 25th in run blocking and 29th in pass blocking last year.

We won the Super Bowl despite a poor O-line . . . how hard is that to believe when every bit of evidence supports it?

Rek
04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
According to Football Outsiders' metrics, our O-line is 25th in run blocking and 29th in pass blocking last year.

We won the Super Bowl despite a poor O-line . . . how hard is that to believe when every bit of evidence supports it?

I pray their O-line is up to standard this year. When it sucks, everything sucks. Without a solid O-line, Fast Willie can't get the handoff and get to the outsides and Ben can't give his wideouts time to get open and deliver the ball with enough zip.

Busforever
04-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Every year, Superbowl win or not, the objective is to be a better team, because other teams are also moving. And we all know that our offensive line was the weakness of our team, no matter how good or bad they were. So keeping the same linemen is a good thing to give them a chance to progress as a group. But that doesn't mean the staff will not add young talent with the 1st round. Cause it will help, there's no debate about it.
So i think the Steelers will look at the best player available between OL or DL in the first round. But we won't predict the pick finding our most pressing need, because that's not how the Steelers draft. They like to pick the guy who best fit in Steelers schemes, and mold him for a year or two.
Personaly I would be happy with Alex Mack (C), Jarren Gilbert (DE) or William Beatty (T). There all are talented guy who will be solid starter in two or three seasons, no matter what they do next year. Duke Robinson (G) is also a possibility, but i think a first round is a little high for him.

LVSteelersfan
04-23-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't trust the front office to pick Oline or Dline in the first round. I wouldn't doubt for a second that they pick a CB or WR if they think he is BPA. Just the way it is. People will be bitching the rest of the offseason that they CAN'T BELIEVE who the Steelers drafted this year. It probably won't be any of the aforementioned players picked in the first round that everyone keeps saying we should draft. I am used to falling off my chair when the Steelers finally pick. And then when they picked Sweed second last year I thought my head would explode. But we won the Super Bowl. So I guess they know what they are doing.

billybob
04-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Getting back to this thread , Tomlin is the man . I'm not sure how much influence he has with the front office . I do know the effect he has on the players that he must coach.
For me , i am happy with where things are now . Of course i do not mean jack , but if Tomlin is happy , Who are we to question ?
Call them mediocre , scrubs , losers , sandlot football players , he sees them a whole lot more than each of us.
The thing that really gets to my crawl , is that not one person on that Superbowl winning team , including Ben , has ever called out the o-line for being subpar.
Could they be better ? Who knows ? They have set their own standard now , I , for one am willing to see if they can surpass what they were able to accomplish last season. It may not have been pretty , but it was sure sweet in the end !
Considering the odds , and how the defense lapsed in the "big show" , i feel nothing but respect , for that group that helped to bring home an unprecidented # 6 superbowl ring for us all to enjoy. And we do enjoy it , don't we ?
Long live the " MACH 5 " !

SunshineMan21
04-24-2009, 01:59 AM
Getting back to this thread , Tomlin is the man . I'm not sure how much influence he has with the front office . I do know the effect he has on the players that he must coach.
For me , i am happy with where things are now . Of course i do not mean jack , but if Tomlin is happy , Who are we to question ?
Call them mediocre , scrubs , losers , sandlot football players , he sees them a whole lot more than each of us.
The thing that really gets to my crawl , is that not one person on that Superbowl winning team , including Ben , has ever called out the o-line for being subpar.
Could they be better ? Who knows ? They have set their own standard now , I , for one am willing to see if they can surpass what they were able to accomplish last season. It may not have been pretty , but it was sure sweet in the end !
Considering the odds , and how the defense lapsed in the "big show" , i feel nothing but respect , for that group that helped to bring home an unprecidented # 6 superbowl ring for us all to enjoy. And we do enjoy it , don't we ?
Long live the " MACH 5 " !

And as a good coach, do you really think he's going to say "we're looking to upgrade from our current O-linemen" to the media? I don't know that they'll go O-line in the first, but that isn't really what's being discussed here.

lilyoder6
04-24-2009, 02:10 AM
well the line did go thru some growing pains when starks became the new lt and then again when stapleton became the new rg...

i just hope that w/ the same line again next yr.. they are more comfortable and can go out and just play ball

revefsreleets
04-24-2009, 10:07 AM
I wasnt criticizing you, but rather having a little fun with a new poster and you, by telling him to basically lay off the buckeyes. But, with that being said, its kind of funny that you can comment on how some fans are dillusional, but in the next breath, continue to pimp anybody from OSU like they are cant miss prospects. That seems a bit dillusional, dont you think.

I'm no lemming.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=35393

And most of my condemnation is directed towards reserve. He's fast becoming my own private MB stalker...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm no lemming.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=35393

And most of my condemnation is directed towards reserve. He's fast becoming my own private MB stalker...

Nice post. Funny thing about Robiske, is that I think he could slide into the bottom of the 1st if the Ravens, Giants or Titans really like him. Big target, been around lots of NFL teams already with his dad as WR coach, solid hands, good route runner.........but not great stopwatch speed. THE KID IS ON THE TRACK TEAM!?!?!?!?

I'd rather have Robiske than Harvin any day. Its like 2001 selecting Koren Robinson #9 and Reggie Wayne at #30 because Wayne didnt have a great 40 time.

revefsreleets
04-24-2009, 10:40 AM
My favorite "knock" against relying on combine 40 times will always be Jerry Rice.

He ran a 4.6 at the combine, so people were shying away from him. In fact, Al Toon (Jets)and Eddie Brown (Bengals) were selected ahead of him because he was "too slow".

The rest, of course, is history...

billybob
04-24-2009, 10:42 AM
And as a good coach, do you really think he's going to say "we're looking to upgrade from our current O-linemen" to the media? I don't know that they'll go O-line in the first, but that isn't really what's being discussed here.

Tomlin has a knack for not throwing fuel into the media fire , but from what i have seen , and heard from him , he does not , for any reason what so ever mince his words. If he says he is happy with the o-line , then believe you me brother , i am ok with it.
I never heard him say there is no way they could be better . I have heard him say that there is always room to improve any aspect of a football team in general.
I feel proud to have him in the position he is in , i think he has great charactor , and was "one" of the most dynamic moves our great team has made since drafting Ben.
By him saying he is comfortable with his "MACH 5 ",he still recognizes the need to always improve. How else could he have gotten one of the most desirable positions in proffessional sports otherwise.

steelreserve
04-24-2009, 02:18 PM

Dude, that's pretty weak. It's the down time on a relatively small message board -- you're bound to run into the same people because it takes like 15 minutes to go through all the new threads in a day. It's not like I go around picking people out or keeping track of how many times I respond to each person or something. I guess you just had a lot of shit to say lately that I didn't agree with.

billybob
04-24-2009, 02:28 PM
And that is the essence of our offensive line.

billybob
04-24-2009, 02:32 PM
I want to shake things up a bit. I will bet anyone on this site , that A.Q.Shipley will be a member of our offensive line in the near future.