PDA

View Full Version : Sweed working hard to improve

mesaSteeler
04-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Sweed working hard to improve
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/04/22/sports/steelers/doc49ee957dc3125733623391.txt

By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:57 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH — The last man remaining on the Steelers practice field Tuesday was Limas Sweed. Already, he’s working hard to prove he’s not a bust.

As the rest of the Steelers headed to the locker room, Sweed stayed behind, catching deep passes thrown from a jugs machine. After all, the most vivid image of his rookie season was his drop of a long, would-be touchdown pass in the AFC Championship Game.

“I wouldn’t say I’ve been beating myself up because of that drop,” he said. “But I am using that as fuel this year.”

Nearly a year ago, Sweed became property of the Steelers when he was selected in the second round of the NFL Draft. At 6-foot-4, he was picked to provide quarterback Ben Roethlisberger with a tall target at wide receiver.

The pick was somewhat of a gamble. Sweed missed half of his senior season at the University of Texas with a wrist injury and finished with only 19 catches. His stock was definitely falling when the Steelers chose him with the 53rd overall pick.

As a rookie, Sweed struggled early. Pro ball was more difficult that he expected, physically and mentally. He only played in 11 games during the regular season and made only six catches.

Then late in the first half of that thrilling AFC title game, a 23-14 win over the rival Ravens, Sweed dropped what should have been a 50-yard TD pass.

Had Sweed made the catch, the Steelers would have led 20-7 at intermission.

Had the Steelers lost, Sweed would have been ridiculed unmercifully.

“I like Sweed,” Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor said. “I mean, you can say he dropped a couple passes last year. But if you look at the passes he dropped, he was behind DBs. I think his potential is sky high.”

Coach Mike Tomlin always says that he expects players to make significant progress in their second seasons. That’s what Sweed intends to do.

And this year, with wide receiver Nate Washington gone after signing via free agency with Tennessee, the Steelers’ need a new No. 3 wide receiver.

There’s speculation the Steelers will draft another wide receiver, possibly even Saturday in the first or second round. Even if that happens, Sweed wants to be the guy who complements starting wideouts Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes.

That’s why Sweed is already staying after practice.

When asked if there’s one area of his game that he needs to improve most, Sweed simply said “Everything.”

X’S AND O’s

Tuesday was the second of the Steelers’ 14 organized team activities, which are voluntary. Next up is the mandatory mini-camp on May 1-3. … OTAs continue May 19-21, May 26-28, June 2-4 and June 9-11. … After missing Monday’s OTA, Holmes and LB Lawrence Timmons returned Tuesday. … Missing both days were RB Willie Parker, LB Larry Foote, S Troy Polamalu, S Ryan Clark, S Tyrone Carter and DE Nick Eason. … Also missing Tuesday were DE Aaron Smith and LB LaMarr Woodley.

Steel Head
04-22-2009, 08:02 AM
work on catching the ball please

Dylan
04-22-2009, 08:11 AM
at least hes working and knowing he has to get better...from what i hear dwayne jarrett or mike williams never done that.

steelcurtain4392
04-22-2009, 08:40 AM
I had high expectations for Limas towards the beginning of the season but you can't drop passes like that. (Especially not in a AFC championship game against your bitter rivals.) Although he did take out his anger a few plays later by throwing a vicious block on a ravens player...looking much like Hines Ward.

:tt03:

lilyoder6
04-22-2009, 08:43 AM
evryone have dropped passes.. it's part of the game.. even the great randy moss and to drops passes... i think he be a lot better this yr getting more time as nate is gone

triphahn
04-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Work hard and good things happen for you. I thought he was looking at having a good year but now feel much more confident hearing he that he is there busting his ass.

thumper
04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Great news. Almost every single rookie WR sucks. Nothing new there. He was wet behind the ears. I think he is going to rock out this year. With Hines, Holmes and Sweed, they have a nice blend of skills there.

fansince'76
04-22-2009, 01:02 PM
evryone have dropped passes.. it's part of the game.. even the great randy moss and to drops passes... i think he be a lot better this yr getting more time as nate is gone

I agree - he already has the hardest part (IMO) of the pro game down, which is gaining separation. The kid knows how to get open. Glad to see he's putting in extra time after practice to improve.

Steelman16
04-22-2009, 02:00 PM
I never really watched him in college, but if he could work on adding a little "Fitz" to his game, in terms of getting up to reach the ball at its highest peak, he'd be an absolute beast IMO. (because he already has that separation)

Looking forward to seeing him shine this year. I think he can. :thumbsup:

scsteeler
04-22-2009, 02:05 PM
I never really watched him in college, but if he could work on adding a little "Fitz" to his game, in terms of getting up to reach the ball at its highest peak, he'd be an absolute beast IMO. (because he already has that separation)

Looking forward to seeing him shine this year. I think he can. :thumbsup:

Right now I would be happy to see him just catch the balls that are thrown to him.

stlrtruck
04-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Well the work ethic is there, now I just hope it shows up when it's time - say on game day starting in September!

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
04-22-2009, 03:29 PM
I like the fact that he is busting his ass, I respect that. I just hope it pays off this coming season. I was beyond pissed when he dropped that ball, and I still have a bad taste in my mouth about it. I am on the fence with him, I hope he shoves me over to his side this fall.

The Duke
04-22-2009, 03:30 PM
at least hes working and knowing he has to get better...from what i hear dwayne jarrett or mike williams never done that.

Jarrett. I was afraid sweed would become another DJ. his attitude definitely proves me wrong, so far....

He was the only player I wanted out of last year's draft. and I'm still amazed we got him :tt02:

truesteelerfan
04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeed.

devilsdancefloor
04-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Nice to see him busted his ass to get better! I really like the guy he had some bad luck or rookie mistakes but i think this yer the game will not be as fast for him and he wil have a really decent yr! im loking forward to hearing swwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddd!

Kaeg
04-22-2009, 07:56 PM
I have very high hopes/expectations for him. It's a shame there's so much dwelling on a rookie dropped pass, because the first time he drops one this year we're gonna see all these "bust" comments resurface in a heart beat.

X-Terminator
04-22-2009, 09:17 PM
He sucks. Cut him.

Well, that's what the consensus seems to be anyway...

Seriously, if he's working hard, that means he knows he needs to improve. The kid clearly has talent, and if he gets the hands to match, he will be absolutely lethal.

steelballs
04-23-2009, 08:11 AM
This is great to hear.
I know that Hines has kinda taken Limas under his wing and I'm sure that Ward has made it clear to him that this is his year to either make or break the team.

All rookie receivers struggle in their first year as we all know, but his ability to separate is something you either have or you don't....Sweed has it and I can't wait to see what he brings to the table this upcoming season.

cowboykilla
04-23-2009, 10:15 PM
He needs to work hard,i mean really hard.

Galax Steeler
04-24-2009, 02:46 AM
Good to see Sweed trying to improve his game. We should see a different Sweed this year and hopefully he won't make the same mistakes he made last year.

Dino 6 Rings
04-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I suppose having TWO Super Bowl MVP receivers on the team helps a kid realize, he's got a long way to go.

I'm a fan of this kid, and think as long as he stays focussed (which is a problem for kids out of Texas as far as I'm concerned) and knows his place for the time being #3 guy, he'll be a great asset for our team.

And we all, really want to yell his name.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!