PDA

View Full Version : Critique my 1st steelers mock

tony hipchest
04-22-2009, 10:43 PM
this is my 1st venture in guessing what the steelers will do, and i am doing it to have fun with the board contests. keep in mind, most of my "research" is done with information i gather by visiting this site. i am pretty much in the dark when it comes to college prospects beyond the top 100 and any constructive critisizm will be taken for what its worth.

would you be happy with these selections?

am i way off base? ( i tried to balance team need with potenteial BPA equally - even though i have no clue as to who is the BPA beyond round 3.)

Steelers Picks

Rd 1, Pick 32....OT william beatty
Rd 2, Pick 64....DT jarron gilbert
Rd 3, Pick 96....C antoine caldwell
Rd 4, Pick 132...CB greg toler
Rd 5, Pick 168... OG Louis Vasquez
Rd 5, Pick 169...WR deon butler
Rd 6, Pick 205...FB Frank Summers
Rd 7, Pick 226...FS brandon underwood
Rd 7, Pick 241...NT antonio dixon
UDFA

1) SS derrick richardson
2) C robby felix
3) DE khalif mitchell
4) TE richard quinn

im thinking mack or beatty with pick 1, gilbert or miola w/ pick 2.

im thinking picks 2-5a are just wishful thinking and all these prospects will be off the board when we select.

im thinking 5b aND 6 may be a reach but players who could contribute as rookies.

7a & 7b was simply grasping at straws.

udfa's- richardson was a national leader in tackles. felix suffered a teddi bruschi stroke and has fully recovered. hes a risk, but may present value for nothing. mitchell- had some ganja problems and is a project but i liked his maturity level. quinn was brought in for a workout with heath and spaeth are going into their final years.

Steelman16
04-22-2009, 11:33 PM
I think I'd be happy, but I seriously doubt Gilbert will be available for us in round 2.

Aussie_steeler
04-23-2009, 04:46 AM
Its not often that you get a chance to take on Mr Hipchest in an area that he is not entirely comfortable in.

this is a mock that most steeler fans could come to live with. You have put together a mock that is both logical and desirable for some fans.

1. Beatty OT - some concerns but would develop into a servicely LT for the back half of his rookie contract.

2. Gilbert DE - most of, sorry all of us would be doing cartwheels if this pick came true. None of us would complain if we had to settle for Moala instead.

3. Caldwell OC - a bit light and maybe a bit under appreciated but kind of has Dermonti Dawson written all over him.

4. Toler CB - dont know much about this guy

5. Vasquez OG - Home run Tony

5b -- 7b all meet team needs and have chances of at worst being PS players.

Not sure if TE Quinn will last beyond the 4th.

Good Job Tony - but like most of us, if you manage to get one pick right you are entitled to be over the moon. ( The last high picks I got right were Kendrell Bell and Troy Polamalu.)

Best of luck riding all those picks this coming weekend.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Tony, it could all happen. The Summers and Dixon picks are the same as mine..........so stop the Jedi mind reading. I like Beatty, but think that Buffalo might take him before us.

I love Caldwell, but because I think it makes sense.....it wont happen. My 4 rounds are looking like #1 Britton, #2 Gilbert, #3 Washington CB, #4 Mike Thomas WR.

tony hipchest
04-23-2009, 01:31 PM
thanks guys. i guess i didnt reach too much, nor was blinded by wishful thinking. i wasnt sure where the tight end was projected so i just figured if he wasnt taken we would quickly replace sherrod with him.

i kinda struggled with the 7th rounders, so admittedly just stole antonio dixon off LLT's draft. makes a lot of sense and worth the long shot gamble.

toler is a small school late riser and alot of teams are showing interrest. reading about him reminded me of an ike taylor type who will need a few years, but develop into a solid starter. he is fast, but not the fastest cb in this years class like ike was.

i remember LLT and i being flabbergasted by the w. gay pick. i think this could be this years w. gay.

vasquez seems to be consensus so im rolling with it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Tony, if you were able to watch the Emerald Bowl, Dixon and Alex Mack waged a memorable war all game, but Mack tired him out. I think the kid can be a long term project or part of a NT rotation.

I hope you guys are right about Vasquez. I honestly dont think he gets to us in the 5th, but hope he does. I watched a few games and broke down his play. He looked good and now his postseason workouts have him rising.

One guy I think we may look at later is Greg Isdaner OG from WVU. Dude is a mauler, but might go around the 6th round or later because of poor measureables.

SunshineMan21
04-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I like Beatty a lot, and a LT has a ton more positional value than a C. There are also a bunch of C prospects (Wood, Caldwell, Shipley, etc . . ) in this draft.

I guess I'd be happy with either Beatty or Mack, but if the FO has them graded similarly I'd think that Beatty ends up being the pick.

Texasteel
04-23-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm happy with almost any draft, almost any, that gets Vasquez in Black and gold.

No Gonzo, I don't think he gets to us in the 5th, I don't even think he gets to us in the 4th, but I hope I am wrong.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm happy with almost any draft, almost any, that gets Vasquez in Black and gold.

No Gonzo, I don't think he gets to us in the 5th, I don't even think he gets to us in the 4th, but I hope I am wrong.

I agree. I think Vasquez will go in the 4th, but before our pick. I can see maybe trading a 4th and 5th to move up in the 4th for a player that they like like Vasquez. I'd be happy with Britton, Gilbert, Washington, Vasquez in the first 4 picks and bypassing a center since we already have Hartwig, Legursky, Stapleton on the roster.

I love draft time of the year. There are so many combinations and almost none of them ever happen the way we want. :thumbsup:

Texasteel
04-23-2009, 05:33 PM
I agree. I think Vasquez will go in the 4th, but before our pick. I can see maybe trading a 4th and 5th to move up in the 4th for a player that they like like Vasquez. I'd be happy with Britton, Gilbert, Washington, Vasquez in the first 4 picks and bypassing a center since we already have Hartwig, Legursky, Stapleton on the roster.

I love draft time of the year. There are so many combinations and almost none of them ever happen the way we want. :thumbsup:

If those were the only 4 players we got, I think I would be happy.

Just think Gonzo. Monday we can start on the 2010 draft.

tony hipchest
04-23-2009, 05:37 PM
:that really sounds good. anything else beyond that would be gravy. not getting a 3rd for 10 year vet faneca still burns me. :dang: stupid clause.

since i welcome giving up a 7th to move up for summers (and unlike bouchette, had no problem giving up an extra pick for a punter). we really only have 4 open spots on the final 53 anyways.

i feel even better about 2 of my prospects. to my suprise tim and pat had glover quin, and deon butler on for interviews. both were solid. unfortunately he didnt have time to review glovers highlight cd before they talked to him. they both seem to love butler and warned him not to get down if he slips into the 4th or 5th round.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2009, 07:33 PM
that really sounds good. anything else beyond that would be gravy. not getting a 3rd for 10 year vet faneca still burns me. :dang: stupid clause.

since i welcome giving up a 7th to move up for summers (and unlike bouchette, had no problem giving up an extra pick for a punter). we really only have 4 open spots on the final 53 anyways.

i feel even better about 2 of my prospects. to my suprise tim and pat had glover quin, and deon butler on for interviews. both were solid. unfortunately he didnt have time to review glovers highlight cd before they talked to him. they both seem to love butler and warned him not to get down if he slips into the 4th or 5th round.

What did Butler have to say about his punt returning skills?? He looks to be a good Kickoff returner, but struggled with punts all week of senior bowl. I think he is gonna definately slip where Tim and Pat are saying. Could be a nice pickup, but we could use a punt returner.

tony hipchest
04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
What did Butler have to say about his punt returning skills?? He looks to be a good Kickoff returner, but struggled with punts all week of senior bowl. I think he is gonna definately slip where Tim and Pat are saying. Could be a nice pickup, but we could use a punt returner.he didnt address that specifically. just said hes ready to go, try and fit in, hone his receiving skills and contribute on special teams.

he's been on their show before. they always tell a prospect "im a scout or GM. tell me the game film you want me to watch first to see what you have to offer".

on his previous appearance he told them to go watch the bowl game vs. USC.

right away (with a bold/brash manner) he asked tim if he went and studied the film.

pat and USC alum tim laughed and pat responded "we got you back on the show, didnt we?"

all in all, he sounded extremely confident, yet humbled by the gigantic step his life will take in the next few days.

only the browns and eagles have worked him out, but alot of teams have called his agent to get his numbers.

they asked him to call the show after the draft to tell how the draft day experience with his family went. he said he definitely would and sounded excited to do so. = commitment.

i came away with the impression that this kid definitely "gets it".

larry english was also on (for his 3rd or 4th time). wow. a smart prospect who also gets it. kinda reminds me of woodley when he was a pre-draft regular.

Steely McSmash
04-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Pretty good.

Antonio Dixon is a reach according to some sites. CBS sports has him rated #576 overall

Vasquez is rated all over the place, it'll be interesting to see where he goes.

Not sure why we need another center in camp as an UDFA. lots of good OG prospects might be better value. Might be good to bring in an UDFA for ILB as well.

Richard Quinn, as previously mentioned is a mid-round prospect and will most likely not be an UDFA.

Small school corner makes me a bit nervous.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2009, 09:49 AM
One such player who may be available and would be exactly what we're looking for at NT, in terms of filling space, holding ground, not getting blown off of the ball, and being stout against the run is Miami's Antonio Dixon. His draft stock has fallen because of a knee injury but gambling on his recovery with a 6th or 7th round pick is not unreasonable and could turn out very wise.

Antonio Dixon
6'3", 328 lbs.
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/3/24/809235/sleeper-nt-antonio-dixon

NFL Draft Scout also has Dixon as a 6-7 rounder at best, ranking him 42 out of 160 DT's.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57270&draftyear=2009&genpos=DT

Steely McSmash
04-24-2009, 10:01 AM
[B].... His draft stock has fallen because of a knee injury but gambling on his recovery with a 6th or 7th round pick is not unreasonable and could turn out very wise.

Interesting, another dented-can-discount guy.

Texasteel
04-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Antonio Dixon
6'3", 328 lbs.[/B]
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/3/24/809235/sleeper-nt-antonio-dixon

NFL Draft Scout also has Dixon as a 6-7 rounder at best, ranking him 42 out of 160 DT's.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57270&draftyear=2009&genpos=DT

Dixon is a kid I am really fascinated with. I hope we do get him whether it be 6th, 7th, or UDFA.