PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gonzalez to Atlanta for 2nd round pick

tony hipchest
04-23-2009, 02:32 PM
as per sirius radio and a jay glazer report. time to change those mocks for everyone who had pettigrew penned in.

Steelman16
04-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Reported on nfl.com as well.

From rotoworld:

Falcons acquired TE Tony Gonzalez from the Chiefs in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.
KC got its asking price, just not this year. Gonzo is 33, but coming off a 96-catch, 1,058-yard, 10-touchdown season. He obviously has a lot left, and going to a dome can't hurt. Atlanta relies on the run more than the '08 Chiefs did, though, and while Matt Ryan can only get better Gonzo's numbers will likely dip some. He'll steer attention away from Roddy White, but could also cut into possession receiver Michael Jenkins' targets.

Nice job by the Falcons.

fansince'76
04-23-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm glad to see the Falcons rebounding so nicely from the Vick fiasco.

SteelMember
04-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Been hearing possibilities of this all week...Looks like they finally came to an agreement.

A 2nd seems high, but they needed a TE and gonzalez is proven. Problem is, we all should know Mularkey likes a guy that can block a little too. :wink02:

SteelersinCA
04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
The falcons could be dangerous with a good TE.

xfl2001fan
04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Wow...I think this is a good deal for both sides. Atlanta (and particularly their QB) could use the veteran presence on the offense to help things progress...and the Chiefs are already in rebuilding mode...so why not completely restock. Gonzalez wasn't going to win anything with them...and he's given the franchise a lot...this was about as good a parting gift as he could have received.

ShutDown24
04-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Haha, I knew Pettigrew wasn't going to end up in Atlanta.

J Dogg
04-23-2009, 04:38 PM
So when does Larry Johnson get moved?

There has to be SOMEBODY out there who wants a workhorse back like him. There has to be SOMEBODY who thinks they can fix his attitude. Maybe Denver can trade for him so they can two smug little pricks in the organization.

Dino 6 Rings
04-23-2009, 05:10 PM
I don't get why KC is dumping Tony. They finally have a QB, have a really young but very talented team and the AFC West is pathetic and winnable for anyone of those 4 teams. Why dump your best playmaker in the passing game?

Altanta, just laid the smack down on the NFC South.

Preacher
04-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't get why KC is dumping Tony. They finally have a QB, have a really young but very talented team and the AFC West is pathetic and winnable for anyone of those 4 teams. Why dump your best playmaker in the passing game?

Altanta, just laid the smack down on the NFC South.

I am not sure I would go that far. After all, we were hearing the same thing concerning the Browns last year in the AFCN, and we all know how that turned out.

Now I know you weren't going that far. Just that I am never really impressed with offseason moves until we see how the play out on the field.

J Dogg
04-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Two reasons that KC traded Tony.

1. Tony wanted out to a winner and KC wanted to accomdate him.

2. They get another 2nd round pick and those 2nd round picks are gold in today's NFL.

Dino 6 Rings
04-23-2009, 05:33 PM
I am not sure I would go that far. After all, we were hearing the same thing concerning the Browns last year in the AFCN, and we all know how that turned out.

Now I know you weren't going that far. Just that I am never really impressed with offseason moves until we see how the play out on the field.

Well KC did get rid of Herm Edwards, that's worth like 5 wins in itself :chuckle:

I know, I just like what KC Has done, with bringing in some Vets to go with their young talen.

AllD
04-23-2009, 06:02 PM
A good trade for Atlanta. NFC Championship now maybe.

BrandonCarr39
04-23-2009, 06:03 PM
FYI - the 2nd rounder Atlanta forked over was a 2010 2nd rounder, NOT this year's. So if anything - especially if they do well and make the playoffs this year again, the Chiefs will get nothing more than a low 2nd rounder.

Good for the Falcons not only b/c they get to keep this year's 2nd rounder, but now they don't have to worry about TE(i.e. Pettigrew), they can concentrate on shoring up their D in the first few rounds.

BTW - despite his age AND VERY bad personnel around him in KC, Gonzales had 96 catches and 1058 yards in EVERY game played. Just imagine him in an offense with Ryan, Turner, White, Jenkins, and Norwood.

J Dogg
04-23-2009, 06:06 PM
A good trade for Atlanta. NFC Championship now maybe.

Slow down there Turbo. Chicago is better, the Giants are still good, the Cowgirls wil be better without TO, and Arizona brought bout trigger-man Kurt Warner.

BrandonCarr39
04-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Slow down there Turbo. Chicago is better, the Giants are still good, the Cowgirls wil be better without TO, and Arizona brought bout trigger-man Kurt Warner.

The NFCS will still be good too - the Saints have shored up their D, Panthers will continue to be good(despite their playoff disaster), and the Bucs under their new coach will play alot better.

Galax Steeler
04-24-2009, 04:22 AM
He will be a good fit in Atlanta. They will have several good offensive weapons now.

Aussie_steeler
04-24-2009, 06:52 AM
FYI - the 2nd rounder Atlanta forked over was a 2010 2nd rounder, NOT this year's. So if anything - especially if they do well and make the playoffs this year again, the Chiefs will get nothing more than a low 2nd rounder.

Good for the Falcons not only b/c they get to keep this year's 2nd rounder, but now they don't have to worry about TE(i.e. Pettigrew), they can concentrate on shoring up their D in the first few rounds.

BTW - despite his age AND VERY bad personnel around him in KC, Gonzales had 96 catches and 1058 yards in EVERY game played. Just imagine him in an offense with Ryan, Turner, White, Jenkins, and Norwood.

I agree 100%

IMO he is a guaranteed HOF player with 4 years left in the tank. He has the desire and motivation to keep playing at the benchmark he has set for pass catching TE's in the NFL (a level higher than any other TE in the history of the game)

I think that Atlanta have ridden out of KC laughing all the way to the bank.

Can you think of the experience and poise that he can bring to the huddle? How much better is Matt Ryan going to be for the time alone he will spend with Tony Gonzalez let alone what he can bring to the offence as far as production.

Atlanta were going to be better with Brandon Pettigrew if they drafted him this year. They are much better off at TE immediately and all for a 2nd round pick in 2010.

SteelMember
04-24-2009, 08:18 AM
I agree 100%

IMO he is a guaranteed HOF player with 4 years left in the tank. He has the desire and motivation to keep playing at the benchmark he has set for pass catching TE's in the NFL (a level higher than any other TE in the history of the game)

I think that Atlanta have ridden out of KC laughing all the way to the bank.

Can you think of the experience and poise that he can bring to the huddle? How much better is Matt Ryan going to be for the time alone he will spend with Tony Gonzalez let alone what he can bring to the offence as far as production.

Atlanta were going to be better with Brandon Pettigrew if they drafted him this year. They are much better off at TE immediately and all for a 2nd round pick in 2010.

I think he's a great player, and going to be good in Atl., but inheriting the contract for the highest paid TE (recently restructured), I don't think they'll be laughing. At least I never do when I have to write a big check. So maybe more like...Smile. :grin:

lilyoder6
04-24-2009, 09:35 AM
matty ice just got himself a te 2 throw the ball too...
that offense seems to be set for this upcoming yr.. now they canwry bout getting def in the draft

revefsreleets
04-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Gonzalez has been unhappy for awhile...this works out for both clubs.

Dino 6 Rings
04-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Gonzalez has been unhappy for awhile...this works out for both clubs.

Yeah, I guess you can't blame the guy for wanting to be on a better team. And Atlanta seems to be the next Arizona/Giants/Panthers/Bears in the NFC.

You know, that team that rebuilds for a year or two, makes a run, then falls off the planet because the NFC really sucks.

The_WARDen
04-24-2009, 02:46 PM
a disgruntled receiver who talked his way out of a city and has never won a playoff game?

If you said TO...you are wrong. Yes, I said receiver cause Gonzalez is a TE in name only.

The Duke
04-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Only non-steeler I want to see end up having a ring

White, Jenkins, Norwood, Gonzalez....Ryan is going to have a great season

Hines0wnz
04-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Great pick up for Atl and Matt Ryan. It really appears the loss of Vick was the best thing that could have happened to that team.