PDA

View Full Version : Rulon Davis

devilsdancefloor
04-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Do any of you thin we would spend one of our 7th on the guy? I know he has had some outburst but heis tough as nails and was a marine.

Vincent
04-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Do any of you thin we would spend one of our 7th on the guy? I know he has had some outburst but heis tough as nails and was a marine.

This is an 06 article, so he's probably 26 now. He's an unusual prospect, and at his age might go undrafted. But as all accounts say, he's tough as nails.

"I want to prove to myself that I'm a football player,'' he said, "that I can play at this level and that I can dominate." We can always use another football player.

My only knock is that at 275 lbs, he too light for DE in our scheme.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/11/SPGQOKGFJF1.DTL

REAL TROOPER
Cal's ex-Marine, Rulon Davis, is one tough guy

Rusty Simmons, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, August 11, 2006

When Rulon Davis stretches out his mammoth right leg, the scars start to tell his story.

It isn't until he starts weaving together thoughtful responses that you begin to understand that Cal's 6-foot-5, 275-pound defensive end is much more than just another amazing athlete in Division I-A football.

Davis served four years in the Marines, including a six-month tour in Iraq, and is gliding around the field without a hitch only a year after a near-fatal motorcycle accident.

He is an inspiration to those around him and has a chance to be a major contributor to an already stacked defensive line.

"I was able to mature faster and grow up sooner," he said. "The Marines helped me to become the man I am today."

The man he's become constantly thinks about bigger issues than most 23-year-olds. He was an avionics technician in the military, has studied philosophy and is pursuing a degree in mass communication.

It's been a bumpy and, at times, jarring road. The trials, however, have turned him into someone who thinks before he talks and communicates in a mature, articulate way.

Much of those characteristics were developed when Davis was stationed in Iraq from March to September of 2004. Deployed near Fallujah, he saw the despair of war that he still doesn't like to discuss.

"It was war, man," he said, before pausing to add. "It was combat, warfare."

Davis said "Jarhead," a story of one Marine's experience in the Middle East during Operation Desert Storm, is a good depiction of his own life overseas.

"That movie was perfect to the T," he said. "They call it the 'fog of war,' a state that enables you to operate at 110 percent capacity without the outside world affecting you."

Davis has the same mentality toward football, but that was almost taken from him last year.

A car hit Davis' motorcycle from behind on a July day in Los Angeles. He was knocked onto the cement of Interstate 10, and he landed underneath a truck.

"As soon as I hit the ground, my instincts said, 'Start moving, or you're going to die,' " he said. "I wasn't quite fast enough."

As Davis scurried from beneath the truck, the rear tires hit his legs. Miraculously, he didn't break any bones or tear ligaments or tendons. The swelling was stopped by surgery, and he was completely healthy in less than three months.

A doctor described Davis' recovery as a "medical marvel." For Davis, it was a necessity.

"I want to prove to myself that I'm a football player,'' he said, "that I can play at this level and that I can dominate."

In less than a week of training camp, the transfer from Mt. San Antonio College has impressed defensive line coach Ken Delgado.

"We knew coming in that his size and speed would be factors that could impact us," he said. "How soon he absorbs the defense is up to him."

Davis showed his size and speed at Mt. SAC as a freshman, when he had an unworldly 16.5 sacks in 12 games in 2004. Despite missing the 2005 season following his accident, he was rated the No. 21 junior-college transfer by Rivals.com.

"Watching him move and seeing that he's a voracious learner, makes you think he can make an impact ... sooner than I thought," Delgado said.

Davis' will to succeed -- to dominate -- works overtime. Following Tuesday's practice, he was one of the last players to leave the field.

"I want my opponent to completely quit and shut down," he said. "I want him to walk over to his coach and say, "I'm out of here.' "

Davis' teammates, jokingly call him "Sergeant" and "Old Man," but there's respect behind each laugh.

"He tells us some of his stories from the service, and we're all like, 'Whoa,' " senior defensive tackle Brandon Mebane said. "You have to respect his hard work and his ability to be a motivator."

"When I tweak an ankle or get a little injury, it doesn't affect me," Davis said. "I've been through worse."

He has the scars to remind him.
Rulon Davis file

Size: 6-foot-6, 275 pounds

Position: Defensive end

Born: San Diego

Hometown: Covina (Los Angeles County)

Timeline

1996-98: Spends 8th and 9th grade at Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, Tex.

2001: Graduates Charter Oaks High, Covina

2001: Enters Marine Corps reserves

Sept. 2002: Released from active duty

2003: Enrolls at Mt. San Antonio College

Jan.-Feb. 2004: Called to active duty, trains at Camp Pendleton

March-Sept. 2004: Deployed to Iraq, Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 775 (HMLA-775)

Sept.-Dec. 2004: Records 16.5 sacks for Mt. SAC (10-2)

July 2005: Injured in motorcycle accident on I-10 freeway in Los Angeles

Dec. 2005: Commits to Cal

Aug. 2006: Training camp begins

Source: Cal, www.collegefootballnews.com

E-mail Rusty Simmons at rsimmons@sfchronicle.com.