PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Ratliff

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
04-24-2009, 10:52 AM
According to PFtalk:

"Unrestricted free agent defensive back Keiwan Ratliff has agreed to a one-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to a league source."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/24/ratliff-to-steelers/

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I hope it is true. Now got a couple veteran guys like Ratliff and Bryant to add depth in camp.

I always liked the way Ratliff played in Cinci and HE CAN RETURN PUNTS!!!

The Definiti0n
04-24-2009, 11:28 AM
I hope it is true. Now got a couple veteran guys like Ratliff and Bryant to add depth in camp.

I always liked the way Ratliff played in Cinci and HE CAN RETURN PUNTS!!!

Its true http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4095551

KeiselPower99
04-24-2009, 11:33 AM
WOOHOO!!!!! We signed a free agent!!!

Dino 6 Rings
04-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Its been a very interesting off season to say the least.

No huge splashes, but Ryan Clark wasn't seen as a big deal when we signed him either. I'm still thinking, Trading up in the 1st to get a Solid D Lineman. That's what I bet they do.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
This is so much the small signing that will mean a lot in the long run.

Taylor, Townsend, Gay, Ratliff, Madison and a rookie pick to replace Townsend next season. Its a nice corps of youth and experience..........plus it adds a player with kick return skills. :banana:

lilyoder6
04-24-2009, 12:31 PM
the steelers keep there streak alive.. of signing at least someone not that major in evry offseason

Fire Haley
04-24-2009, 02:01 PM
I guess we weren't as broke as all our Madden GM's thought.

Steelers reach one-year deal with CB Ratliff

Terms of the contract weren't immediately available.

A six-year vet, Ratliff started four games for the Indianapolis Colts last season and finished with 32 tackles and two interceptions.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9494488/Steeler%20s-reach-one-year-deal-with-CB-Ratliff

Steelman16
04-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I saw Ratliff get those INT's with the Colts...believe he returned one for 6, if I recall...or close to it.

I wonder if they signed him because of the lack of corner talent in this draft?

Can we now focus on linemen on either side of the ball?

Good signing either way. :thumbsup:

St33lersguy
04-24-2009, 02:14 PM
A veteran that will provide depth & probably for a low price

Vincent
04-24-2009, 02:44 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2004/04/14/1/

Keiwan Ratliff, Florida (5-10 1/8, 194)

Ratliff's times in two 40 attempts were 4.60 and 4.60 (on grass). He had a 371/2-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-1/2 long jump, 11 strength reps, a 4.41 short shuttle and 7.10 three-cone drill. In high school, Ratliff played wide receiver and defensive back. He agreed to go to Florida in 1999 but didn't enter school until 2000. He did not become a full-time starter until 2002 and had nine interceptions in 2003. Ratliff is a player that plays faster than his timed speed indicates. He has good quickness and anticipation, but isn't real good against the run and is more of an offensive-minded player. He can also return kicks and will be a steady player as a third corner.

NEPAsteeler
04-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Nothing wrong with a good depth signing.

Texasteel
04-24-2009, 03:51 PM
This is so much the small signing that will mean a lot in the long run.

Taylor, Townsend, Gay, Ratliff, Madison and a rookie pick to replace Townsend next season. Its a nice corps of youth and experience..........plus it adds a player with kick return skills. :banana:

Might this show that the Steelers would like to wait till next year to draft a CB, or maybe plans to take a CB in the later rounds, and not the 1st 3.

Preacher
04-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Seems to me that Gay is the 2nd receiver, may battle Townsend. Townsend is the third, but will battle this guy for the forth.. and madison.

Hey, I am happy with that corp.

El-G.. you're right.. it allows us to focus on the lines-- and a WR if one falls to us in a good pace (when we have the line shored up a bit).

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Might this show that the Steelers would like to wait till next year to draft a CB, or maybe plans to take a CB in the later rounds, and not the 1st 3.

I still think they essentially only have Townsend and Ratliff on 1 year contracts. A CB being drafted and taking the roster spot of either Madison to play ST or Roye, since we might only keep 6 D linemen this year...makes a lot of sense.

If they ignore CB in the draft, next year looks like Taylor, Gay, Madison and whoever is on the practice squad. Mind you, they did that with the O line last year and had to throw money at Starks, Kemo, Colon because of it......, so you never know.

Steelman16
04-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Gonzo changed his avatar! :chuckle:

Aussie_steeler
04-24-2009, 06:09 PM
I think Gonzo likes trucks???? MACK trucks????

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Gonzo changed his avatar! :chuckle:

Yeah, it was a tossup between Willie Colon or pimp my guy Alex Mack on draft day. If we dont end up with a Mack truck, then I'll of course have to change it. I'm hoping its good karma and will worship the football gods in hope for Mack. :nw:

Texasteel
04-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah, it was a tossup between Willie Colon or pimp my guy Alex Mack on draft day. If we dont end up with a Mack truck, then I'll of course have to change it. I'm hoping its good karma and will worship the football gods in hope for Mack. :nw:

Lets hope thats a Good Oman, and not a jinx.

MongoSteeler
04-25-2009, 03:15 AM
Its been a very interesting off season to say the least.

No huge splashes, but Ryan Clark wasn't seen as a big deal when we signed him either. I'm still thinking, Trading up in the 1st to get a Solid D Lineman. That's what I bet they do.

How about trade back,not a lot of difference except the price between #32 and # 33.

Texasteel
04-25-2009, 05:10 AM
How about trade back,not a lot of difference except the price between #32 and # 33.

If they trade up, I'll bet you it will be for Hood. If they trade back, probably Moala, or Gilbert. I would think that they may make another trade to try and get Wood as well.

Let the games begin. I love this stuff.

Galax Steeler
04-25-2009, 06:00 AM
The signing of Ratliff probably assures us that we don't take a corner in the first. I thought we would take Davis or Smith at 32 we still can but this signing changes alot.

Galax Steeler
04-25-2009, 06:01 AM
Let the games begin. I love this stuff.

I can't wait is it draft time yet.:popcorn:

lilyoder6
04-25-2009, 08:44 AM
if the steelers do trade down.,. get another 2nd rder.. and then they could still get gilbert.. and a center of mack or wood and another pick somewhere else... i like

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-25-2009, 09:32 AM

I have a suspicion that Mack goes to the Bills with their second pick in the first round...but that will depend on if the Eagles take Pettigrew. If the Eagles pass on a Tight End, then I think Bills grab Pettigrew and Mack slides to us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-25-2009, 10:01 AM
I have a suspicion that Mack goes to the Bills with their second pick in the first round...but that will depend on if the Eagles take Pettigrew. If the Eagles pass on a Tight End, then I think Bills grab Pettigrew and Mack slides to us.

Who knows. There is talk that the Bills like William Beatty and are in need of a LT with Peters gone. They could take him with their 2nd pick in the 1st. I just think most teams are thinking "the center class is so deep, why pick one with our 1st round pick?" But, since our pick is basically the same as a 2nd, I think we end up with Mack as BPA.

SteelMember
04-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally an UFA, Ratliff has NFL experience. Sound familiar. This will help give a better guage on some rookies...if we draft any. :wink02:

Rek
04-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Penguins game and NFL Draft and Pirates new series. This is like a Pittsburgh sports orgasm

steelerdave1969
04-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I think the Steelers make a little splash here, but the one that I am looking forward to is if DB Vontae Davis falls to the Steelers at 32... that would make my day..

Hines0wnz
04-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Solid signing. :applaudit:

55BaileyFan
04-27-2009, 04:12 PM
No one seems to be mentioning him. He was signed the day before the draft. What do you guys think of him?

139 total tackles 5 int 1 TD

I think he will make the team as a dime guy. Bryant will be cut and then we will have to see from there.

Psyychoward86
04-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I think talent wise, he'll be a nice addition. But im worried he'll have character issues because he was in Cincy so many years. I know it sounds biased but im worried lol. But im sure our FO wouldnt do that to us. Plus, going to the Colts must have whipped up any character issues. Dungy hates crybabies. I agree with your analysis. Ratliff gets the nod, Bryant gets cut.

CantStop85
04-27-2009, 05:57 PM
He's got good ball skills but he's also slow as molasses.