PDA

View Full Version : Which Starter or Veteran gets released?

The Definiti0n
04-24-2009, 12:35 PM
With the draft coming up and the Steelers really tight against the cap which starter or vet gets the axe?

Hmmmm Fast Willie? Deshea? Foote?

zsheik22
04-24-2009, 01:01 PM
With the draft coming up and the Steelers really tight against the cap which starter or vet gets the axe?

thinking Foote

Dino 6 Rings
04-24-2009, 01:08 PM
thinking Foote

Foote in a trade on Draft day to move up and get a better pick in the first round.

lilyoder6
04-24-2009, 01:24 PM
i think that with the cap so close and still have 2 sign picls.. i agree someone will be gone...

i hope we can find a decent trade value for foote and at least get something for him...

billybob
04-24-2009, 01:35 PM
The draft looming tomorrow, somebody has to get that pink slip , defensive back signed via free agency , it looks bad for foot.
With his solid play since being here , i am just not convinced he will not be a Steeler this coming season.
I think the person that is going to get the axe is someone we least expect. He is expendable though , so who knows ?

SteelMember
04-24-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't think we'll have any cap casualties until training camp.

tyler289
04-24-2009, 01:51 PM
I think Willie will be shopped but ultimately not moved.

steelreserve
04-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker

The Definiti0n
04-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker

I feel the same way. He has been great but the injuries are starting to add up. The cap room we could save could be used to extend Miller

Fire Haley
04-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Bored with the draft already?

Steelers Since '75
04-24-2009, 03:07 PM
I have been thinking this for awhile... that Foote and Parker might get shopped to free up cap space and allow us to make a move on a more valued rookie in the draft at a higher position. Try to get Detroit to take our 32nd pick and Foote for their 21st would be nice... or send Foote and Parker plus our 32nd to the Saints for their 14th... yeah I'm dreaming but it's good to dream.

Steelman16
04-24-2009, 03:08 PM
I doubt Parker goes anywhere. Foote will only be traded if they really want somebody, otherwise, I don't see him going anywhere either.

I would vote for the release of our "Jack-of-all-Trades"... Carey "I can do everything, but nothing very well" Davis.

BlastFurnace
04-24-2009, 03:14 PM

No way Deshea gets booted.

Willie...unlikely, but you never know.

Foote...could be. I would be sad to see him go.

BlastFurnace
04-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker

I'm curiuos...why?

fansince'76
04-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Ben! He sucks and costs too much! Besides, I heard that he and Tomlin hate each others' guts! Not only that, but his teammates hate his guts too, because he's selfish - that's why he's never been voted team MVP! And he disses little kids when they try to get his autograph, particularly if they don't have "boobs!" :laughing:

Steelerfreak58
04-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Parker and Foote are the smart choices.

Parker did not produce much since breaking his leg. Maybe a bit of the O-Line issue but its just business.

Foote is up there in age and we signed Fox and have Timmons. It makes good business sense.

steelreserve
04-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
Please be Parker
I'm curiuos...why?

Because he sucks, that's why.

If you weren't being sarcastic, I think the offense will be a lot better off without him and it'll start to show from the first game after.

Steeldude
04-24-2009, 04:54 PM
here are some 2009 cap hits for a few veterans.

ward - $7,800,000

hampton - $6,652,000

keisel - $4,998,000

parker - $4,538,000

foote - $3,933,000

Preacher
04-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Because he sucks, that's why.

If you weren't being sarcastic, I think the offense will be a lot better off without him and it'll start to show from the first game after.

This is SO the "what have you done for me lately" fanbase. Nevermind he was coming off his FIRST major injury at the end of the previous season and couldn't really get his body ready for this season.

Here we go again.

The Definiti0n
04-24-2009, 05:02 PM
We have to create cap room. Does anybody know our cap number coming into the draft last season?

slippy
04-24-2009, 05:27 PM
if you shop willie, who's gonna run the ball? mendenhall is unproven (and with a season ending injury). i love mewelde, but not for 300 carries a year.

The Definiti0n
04-24-2009, 05:35 PM
if you shop willie, who's gonna run the ball? mendenhall is unproven (and with a season ending injury). i love mewelde, but not for 300 carries a year.

Well Mendy could have came back, it was coaches decision to rest him. Plus Willie was nicked all season. I think Mendy, Moore, and maybe a mind round pick in the draft would be fine. Plus the money we would save by dumping Willie would allow use to re-sign Miller

Vincent
04-24-2009, 05:43 PM
here are some 2009 cap hits for a few veterans.

ward - $7,800,000

hampton - $6,652,000

keisel - $4,998,000

parker - $4,538,000

foote - $3,933,000

Extend Hines - 4 years - $20M - $7.5M SB - $2M 09, $3M 10, $3.5M 11, $4M 12. 09 Cap hit $5Mish.

Extend Big Snack - 3 years - $18M - $6.5M SB - $2M 09, $4M 10, $5.5M 11. 09 Cap hit $5Mish.

Right there you save $4Mish.

Then you resign Heath - 6 years - $30M - $9M SB - $1M 09, $2M 10, $3M 11, $4M 12, $5M 13, $6M 14. 09 Cap hit $2.5Mish

Trade Foote to Detroit. Save another $4M. Then extend Clark. But not too ridiculous.

xfl2001fan
04-24-2009, 05:46 PM
I, for one, am hoping it's Big Ben. That's what I'd do if I was management. :couch:

Don't bother replying to this one, I won't tread back into this neck of the woods again. Sniper attack and run baby! By the time you read this, I'm already gone! :flap:

Steel-Bryan
04-24-2009, 05:48 PM
I, for one, am hoping it's Big Ben. That's what I'd do if I was management. :couch:

Don't bother replying to this one, I won't tread back into this neck of the woods again. Sniper attack and run baby! By the time you read this, I'm already gone! :flap:

:laughing:

Steel_Bus_24
04-24-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't want to lose any of Parker,Foote,Townsend

cut davis or something

steelreserve
04-24-2009, 06:04 PM

Who cares? It's not like Parker ran the ball last season, and we still won the Super Bowl. I'm sure if we took part of that $4.5 million, we could find a normal running back who would at least be OK if Mendenhall turns out to suck.

Hell, we could find a guy like that with the million or so we'd save by cutting Davis, which I also strongly advocate.

Fire Haley
04-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Winning this year is the only thing that matters to me.

If it makes the team better now - I'm all for it.

Steely McSmash
04-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Extend Hines - 4 years - $20M - $7.5M SB - $2M 09, $3M 10, $3.5M 11, $4M 12. 09 Cap hit $5Mish.

Extend Big Snack - 3 years - $18M - $6.5M SB - $2M 09, $4M 10, $5.5M 11. 09 Cap hit $5Mish.

Right there you save $4Mish.

Then you resign Heath - 6 years - $30M - $9M SB - $1M 09, $2M 10, $3M 11, $4M 12, $5M 13, $6M 14. 09 Cap hit $2.5Mish

Trade Foote to Detroit. Save another $4M. Then extend Clark. But not too ridiculous.

Base salary can't grow more than 30% year to year. just restructuing Hines might make close to enough for the rooks.

The Definiti0n
04-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Winning this year is the only thing that matters to me.

If it makes the team better now - I'm all for it.

I hate when people take to high road on message boards

srk173
04-24-2009, 07:48 PM
we need to rebuild
big ben
willie
hines
holmes
miller
kiesel
smith
hampton
harrison
foote
farrior
taylor
troy
clark
townsend

these guys can all be traded away so we can rebuild. everyone on our team sucks. they couldn't beat slippery rock if they were all 100 % healthy. they are all bums.:rofl:

StainlessStill
04-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Why all the Willie hate? Are you people on crack? You want Willie to be traded and let an unproven back, who got hurt his rookie season, take over duties to run behind an average o-line? The reason we brought Mendenhall in was to have the one/two punch we so desperately need at running back, only to benefit Parker. Willie has been featured as our our feature back for a reason and every hand off he takes, he deserves. You think a Coach says a statement like "We are going to run him until his wheels fall off" because he wants to trade him? I don't think so. Willie and Mendy are just what we need this year in the backfield, and as far as I'm concerned, it's going according to plan.

IamTheSteelGod
04-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Why all the Willie hate? Are you people on crack? You want Willie to be traded and let an unproven back, who got hurt his rookie season, take over duties to run behind an average o-line? The reason we brought Mendenhall in was to have the one/two punch we so desperately need at running back, only to benefit Parker. Willie has been featured as our our feature back for a reason and every hand off he takes, he deserves. You think a Coach says a statement like "We are going to run him until his wheels fall off" because he wants to trade him? I don't think so. Willie and Mendy are just what we need this year in the backfield, and as far as I'm concerned, it's going according to plan.

Couldn't have put it any better myself. Willie should stay! Foote could be traded.

steelreserve
04-25-2009, 06:12 AM

Willie Parker sucks. He runs for good fantasy football yards against shitty defenses, and that's all he's ever been able to do well. He can't block, he can't catch, he can't run between the tackles, and every time we play a team that knows what it's doing, he gets 29 yards on 18 carries. A running back's top speed alone canot get him around the outside linebackers, and speed really doesn't matter when his primary means of advancing the ball is to dance around in the backfield fooling no one, then fall sideways into the pile for no gain. We have never had a back so completely one-dimensional and so completely dependent on having good blocking to begin with to achieve even modest results.

Nobody respects our running game in and of itself, which is why defenses can come after the quarterback so often and we give up twice a many sacks as anyone else in the league. Parker is slowing down the offense and has been since the day he became the starter. We could put a sack of f***ing potatoes back there and seem more threatening.

Does it strike you as odd that out of the four seasons that Parker has been the "feature" back, we've been mediocre in the years when he's gotten most of the carries and won the Super Bowl in the years when he's been hurt or splitting time with someone else? The guy is holding our team back and there's nothing more frustrating than watching so much potential on offense go to waste because of him.

Rick5895
04-25-2009, 06:50 AM
Here's one for you, Steelers trade the 1st, 64th and foote to NE for the 34th and 47th and a 7th. Then selct Fili Moala and Eric wood with the 34th and 47th picks.

Rick5895
04-25-2009, 06:55 AM
Willie Parker sucks. He runs for good fantasy football yards against shitty defenses, and that's all he's ever been able to do well. He can't block, he can't catch, he can't run between the tackles, and every time we play a team that knows what it's doing, he gets 29 yards on 18 carries. A running back's top speed alone canot get him around the outside linebackers, and speed really doesn't matter when his primary means of advancing the ball is to dance around in the backfield fooling no one, then fall sideways into the pile for no gain. We have never had a back so completely one-dimensional and so completely dependent on having good blocking to begin with to achieve even modest results.

Nobody respects our running game in and of itself, which is why defenses can come after the quarterback so often and we give up twice a many sacks as anyone else in the league. Parker is slowing down the offense and has been since the day he became the starter. We could put a sack of f***ing potatoes back there and seem more threatening.

Does it strike you as odd that out of the four seasons that Parker has been the "feature" back, we've been mediocre in the years when he's gotten most of the carries and won the Super Bowl in the years when he's been hurt or splitting time with someone else? The guy is holding our team back and there's nothing more frustrating than watching so much potential on offense go to waste because of him.

WOW! Parker is still a very serviceable back, this team is undefeated in Playoff games he starts. This is very similiar to all the Ben bashing that went on last season.

Galax Steeler
04-25-2009, 07:10 AM
I say Foote will be gone and I still like him but I think he will be traded or cut. Davis should be gone as well he has not done anything for this team and I think he is a waste of a roster spot.

7/39/43
04-25-2009, 07:13 AM
foote or hopefully Taylor

BritishSteel
04-25-2009, 07:33 AM
I wonder if it might be Parker, if only because it seems obvious to me that Arians likes players who offer a multiple threat, which might include backs who can catch out of the backfield - Parker is a speedback but receiving is not really his strength so maybe they look to shop parker around and then look to take a back with ball catching skills in the 5th or lower - Frank Summers for example (though it makes our backfield a bit one-dimensional, but helps our short yardage running game).

I want Parker to stay because he offers a different option on the running side (unless that's why they picked up Stefan Logan) to our other backs, but it's a thought.

IamTheSteelGod
04-25-2009, 08:14 AM
foote or hopefully Taylor

Taylor! :-| as in Ike? are you on crack?

The Duke
04-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Taylor! :-| as in Ike? are you on crack?

7/39/43 has a weird hate on ike( you know, that team player who just restructured his contract to help the team) when he is in fact one of the best in the league

I just laugh at it. I mean, the #1 CB on one of the most complicated defensive schemes in the league, and he does an excellent job

Blind hate!!

btw, I do not want to see Foote cut/traded, but with the cap the way it is it could happen....

billybob
04-25-2009, 08:56 AM
Guess we will find out soon enough , but whoever it may be , you can bet it would be a clever , and well thought through decision. You can bet that all the repercussions will have been weighed very carefully.

IamTheSteelGod
04-25-2009, 09:09 AM
7/39/43 has a weird hate on ike( you know, that team player who just restructured his contract to help the team) when he is in fact one of the best in the league

I just laugh at it. I mean, the #1 CB on one of the most complicated defensive schemes in the league, and he does an excellent job

Blind hate!!

btw, I do not want to see Foote cut/traded, but with the cap the way it is it could happen....

Hummm.... really? I kind of credit DB who make as many tackles as most of the LB's in the league. Yeah ok after they signed him to that contract extension he was a bit poo for a bit but he has soon made amends.

BlastFurnace
04-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Getting rid of Parker makes absolutely no sense at all this season. He's at a low salary, he's highly productive, and we are going to need plenty of depth next season. We needed to be 3 deep at RB last season...we will need to be 3 deep again.

No to mention, we have no idea what Mendenhall will be...None. Optimistically, we hope he will be highly effective, but until we know that..we can't even entertain the thought of getting rid of Parker.

If Willie has a downside to his game it is as a pass receiver out of the backfield. Other than that, he's pretty darned good.

IamTheSteelGod
04-25-2009, 11:54 AM
I agree he has had nearly four consecutive thousand yard + season. Any RB would have been in the same state after that tackle in St Louis.

steelerdave1969
04-25-2009, 03:56 PM

The only person that I could see being gone after the draft would have to be Deshea Townsend if the Steelers go that route in round 1 at DB. No way Willie or Foote is going anywhere in my opinion.

7/39/43
04-25-2009, 06:04 PM
IKE Sucks!
re- structuring is just a form of saving his azz

Curtain_of_Steel
04-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Been saying Foote since the day after the Bowl.

We are not cutting FWP, or deshea. Don't see that happening.

MongoSteeler
04-26-2009, 05:36 AM
Foote is a possible trade with Detroit for improving their position and adding some extra picks going into the third round. I don't want to see him go, but it has been rumoured that he would like to go to Detroit and God knows that Detroit would wet themselves to get him.

OneForTheToe
04-28-2009, 03:06 AM
Davis comes to mind first. The Steelers won;'t need him on special teams or as a back-up FB, since Tank could likely fill in at FB if McHugh goes down. We could get more use out of Davis' spot with a guy like Stefan Logan.

The rumors of Travis Kirshke's demise have been exaggerated for years. Well, at least for the last few. Seems like every year somebody is going to replace him and every year he earns his roster spot back. I have been a supporter of Kirshke sticking around over the years beacuse he is a rarity among back-up 3-4 DEs. He's veteran 3-4 DE. There aren't many of those around the league. Seems like most of the back-up DE are either inexperienced players learning to play the 3-4 or veteran players that that are more suited for the 4-3, but can be ok in a 3-4.

This year I suspect Kirshke will stick around again. The one event that could see the Steelers cut him would be if Nick Eason makes a drastic approvement again (I thought Eason improved last year quite a bit). If the Steelers become comfortable with Eason, they might feel better about cutting the cord with the older Kirshke. Of course, if Eason doesn't improve he might be the one left out in the cold. One thing I'm sure about, the Steelers won't go with two rookies as the only back-ups at DE.

Those are about the only two realistic Veteran cuts I can see. The Steelers already got rid of two guy that would have been on the list in Russsell and Simmons. I know there has been some talk about Foote going, but at this point I am betting against that. Fernando Bryant could likely be cut as well. Oh, and naturally Ben.:popcorn:

Preacher
04-28-2009, 03:24 AM
Yep. I don't see Davis hanging around now. I liked the kid for what he was, but it seems the Tank is a MUCH better upgrade.

I don't see Foote going at this point. He will now stick around, and will even battle for the starting position at LB. If the guy is smart, he will sign a contract and stick around as a backup. It would be GREAT FOR US and he could earn another ring or two.

Looking at it from positions... We cut two lineman, and brought two in via draft. We lost a WR, and brought one in via draft. We lost a CB, and drafted one and brought one in via FA. I think one of them will get cut.

Davis like I said, gets cut, which means we have room for both the Tank and the kid from BC.

No, I think we see very few roster moves from this point on. A couple cuts that surprise no one. Except for Baker, I think he may be gone if he doesn't impress this spring.

SunshineMan21
04-28-2009, 03:27 AM
I would actually see Bryant as the most likely. We didn't sign Ratliff just to cut him, and we just drafted two corners, giving us seven+Roy Lewis. There's just not much of a need for him. It's possible that one of the DBs will become the new FS backup, but we'll see . . .

I doubt Kirschke will be cut--he's a solid backup, and they like to keep a bunch of D-line subs. He might get bumped down the depth chart a bit, but I can see them keeping Hood, Kirschke, Eason, and Hoke as the DL backups. Roye is gone.

I think Carey Davis may be on the block as well. He was upstaged by McHugh last year, and with Summers' emergence there isn't much Davis really brings to the table.

steelwall
04-28-2009, 04:01 AM
[QUOTE=Preacher;598413]

I don't see Foote going at this point. He will now stick around, and will even battle for the starting position at LB. If the guy is smart, he will sign a contract and stick around as a backup. It would be GREAT FOR US and he could earn another ring or two.

QUOTE]

I hope so...

Galax Steeler
04-28-2009, 05:08 AM
I think we have seen the last of Davis as well.

Steel Head
04-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Davis comes to mind first. The Steelers won;'t need him on special teams or as a back-up FB, since Tank could likely fill in at FB if McHugh goes down. We could get more use out of Davis' spot with a guy like Stefan Logan.

Stefan Logan is going to have a tough time making the team now that we drafted a good kick returner and a good punt returner

It will be interesting to see which DB's make the team now that we have drafted a couple of corners, signed Fernando Bryant and Kaiwan Ratliff and we have Mundy and Roy Lewis coming back from last year. Should be a good competition

devilsdancefloor
04-28-2009, 09:15 AM

Im very patient i will find you ..... :tt03::tt03::tt03: :wink02:

The Definiti0n
04-28-2009, 02:31 PM
I guess it was Larry Foote. Who said I was dumb for starting this thread?

Steely McSmash
04-28-2009, 09:23 PM
It's not over yet...

The Foote thing is not a cap issue primarily. Not sure whay the Steelers are compelled to be so accomodating to the guy.

steeltheone
04-28-2009, 09:43 PM
He wants to start....Not gonna happen here. Tim should not have started last year. Timmons is a ton better. Good luck Larry.

bigjamesharrison2
04-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Unfortunately, it's looking more and more like Foote. I would like to see Davis gone because he didn't provide us with very much.

atlsteelers
04-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Carey Davis and matt spaeth - both will have a hard time making the team.

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 09:17 AM
I think that Carey Davis gets cut if Tank has a good camp and Fernando Bryant will get cut after drafting two and getting one in FA.

madtowndrunkard
04-30-2009, 10:14 AM
You people are nuts.

Parker is not getting cut. After he got healthy last year he started to really shine at the end of the season. The O-line was the problem....not Parker.

Foote is gone. The next move is to sign Starks to an extension. He's the fat cat who's eating up all of our cap space right now. He's one of the top paid OT's in the NFL and he's not that good. If Starks refuses to sign an extension....then we should look for a solid FA OT (expect some good veteran OT's to get cut this summer) and then cut Starks.

Cutting Starks will free up a bunch of cap space, plus it will send a message to agents and players like Starks...if you F@#$ with the steelers you will get burned. If we cut Starks he'll take a major pay cut signing w/ someone else in the middle of the summer.

The other two vets I think could be on the hot seat...Hartwig and Kemo.