PDA

View Full Version : Why Today Sucked

Crushzilla
04-25-2009, 10:22 PM
I figured I'd get the ball rolling on why today was so disappointing.

It's not what you think... :couch:

Soon, the WTFers will emerge and the entire Steelers FO will surely be on the chopping clock.

There are some things I would have LIKED to see happen today, but it didn't. No big deal. I'm a fan with an admittedly modest knowledge (in comparison to some of the people around here) of all of these prospects.

I am also sub-par at talent evaluation when compared to the guys who... you know... get paid to do it and win Super Bowls doing it (i.e. Colbert).

Being a Steelers fan, I know how the draft goes: unsexy.

So why am I feeling so unsatisfied?

The truth is the Steelers didn't suck today.

The offseason did.

The draft is probably such a big deal because of when it occurs.

It is really the one big moment of the football year that has barely any football before it and barely any football after it.

People are so deprived of Pittsburgh Steelers football that it's almost impossible to accept that we walked away from day one of the draft with a single DL that many think we reached for.

Maybe we did reach for Ziggy, but where are you supposed to get defensive linemen? It's not like the Steelers should expect to be picking in the top 10 in the next decade.

For many, the actual draft will never live up to the EXPECTATION of the draft.

So don't hate on the Steelers... hate on the process.... the offseason sucks.

Bottom line? The Steelers are lined up to get some quality talent for DEPTH.

I would be terrified if we were drafting three guys in the third round to step in and start week one. Terrified.

But, they won't be.

The coaching staff and veterans will have time to take these guys (and Hood) and teach them what being a Steeler is all about.

Some will be busts. Some won't.

The front office has proven itself. If you are getting geared up for an unwarranted flame... Stop... Think about this post... and be glad you're not a Raiders fan. :sofunny:

Steelman16
04-25-2009, 10:25 PM
:thumbsup:

Ain't much flash, but it's always solid.

I'm starting to like the Hood pick though, the more I think about it. I think he'll be a great addition for us.

jjpro11
04-25-2009, 11:06 PM
our flashy time is the Super Bowl.. let teams like the Browns enjoy their moment in the spotlight during the offseason. i could really care less what we do in the offseason any more.. i no longer get upset if we sign or cut a player, or pass on a free agent.. because i know in the end, more often than not, it is the right decision... and there is not a front office in the NFL i trust more than the Steelers' FO.

mulldog24
04-25-2009, 11:08 PM
I know what you are saying,but still I don't think that it was a reach for Hood in the first.But I did wish that we could've traded a late round pick to move up with the Giants to get William Beaty.You know just like a 5th or something.Then we could have adressed O-line and D-line today and still had a good draft tommorrow.:noidea::doh:

scsteeler
04-25-2009, 11:34 PM
I have learned over the Years that the Steelers know what they are doing. Their draft picks don't seem that great when they make them all the time but 3 years after the draft you find out the reason why they pick who they do.

BehindSteelCurtain
04-25-2009, 11:35 PM
I know what you are saying,but still I don't think that it was a reach for Hood in the first.But I did wish that we could've traded a late round pick to move up with the Giants to get William Beaty.You know just like a 5th or something.Then we could have adressed O-line and D-line today and still had a good draft tommorrow.:noidea::doh:

Yea but if we would have traded up to get Beatty we wouldnt have 3 3rd rounders tomorrow. There is still a lot of talent on the board.

billybob
04-25-2009, 11:36 PM
I'll toast to the front office , even though i was anticipating that second pick , the draft ended , at least for us today. That did suck a bit . I have always believed we are in the refreshing mode . Just the signing of all our o-lineman gave me a hint of what to expect in this draft. So far , so good . Tomlin has got to have at least a finger in this pie. Our organization is a model of durability , and we have never let up since the great "Chuck Knoll " came to town . I love the way our team goes about business as usual. I think it may be time to start thinking about # 7 .

Dr. Steel
04-25-2009, 11:44 PM
I love the draft and the draft never sucks to me. I also like the pick of Ziggy Hood even though I wanted Gilbert at 32.lol

Ziggy seems like a Steeler type player and will instantly upgrade our inside pass rush in our sub package defenses. I'm confident that our coaches can mold Hood into a 3-4 DE that can maybe play some NT at times. Plus learning from the best 3-4 DE in the NFL in Aaron Smith isn't a bad thing.

The Steelers also have three third round picks. Caldwell, Mike Thomas, Duke Robinson, Fenuki Tupou, are players still out there for the taking.

Godfather
04-26-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm happy with the pick. If you're drafting 32nd you don't have any glaring short-term needs. (The OL leaves something to be desired but we overcame that).

It's nice to go for a mid to long-term need. Big Snack is getting old and broken down, so we can start grooming Ziggy to replace him :tt:

tony hipchest
04-26-2009, 12:21 AM
ziggy will replace a. smith or b. keisel. he4 will need a year to groom, and its a year we can afford to offer. its the steelers way.

it also adds incentive to the others to play up to their best and prove their worth.

plus, i think he was BPA. (regardless if the talking heads thought he was more perfect as a 4-3 DT)

SteelersinCA
04-26-2009, 12:27 AM
I was listening to the draft on NFL Sirius and the one guy mentioned Ziggy has a huge wingspan, something that is perfect for a 3-4.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-26-2009, 12:29 AM
count me as being happy...if tomlin loves hood, then i'm all for it (though i wasn't at first).

we lost a CB (mcfadden) and an overrated S (smith)...but we just picked up ratliff (a guy who will provide depth and probably saved us a draft pick).

we got harrison and ward new deals...we got our offensive line intact (not the most glamorous group, but a group that won a superbowl).

this team needs DEPTH...and having THREE third rounders in a draft that isn't great, but has solid depth (according to the "experts") the third round is where you want to be.

i bet the original poster would have been more excited if we came away with pat white and some other "glamor" spot (ie. WR, RB). but sometimes you draft a "boring" guy like hood who plays a more low-profile position (d-line).

but i think the front office has done a fine job and i'm excited for the season that awaits us because i think tomlin is the real deal, and i see nothing that says we're going to have a let down. i, for one, got tired of cowher's mantra...seemed like HE wanted to become the show. tomlin is an "others first" type of coach who isn't into hype. i believe that will carry this franchise and now that guys have won with him, they will really believe in him.

we have a franchise, most likely HOF, qb...and we have the best defense on the planet. to get discouraged because we didn't have a second round draft pick, but turned it into a pair of third rounders is a bit odd to me...

Crushzilla
04-26-2009, 01:25 AM
count me as being happy...if tomlin loves hood, then i'm all for it (though i wasn't at first).

we lost a CB (mcfadden) and an overrated S (smith)...but we just picked up ratliff (a guy who will provide depth and probably saved us a draft pick).

we got harrison and ward new deals...we got our offensive line intact (not the most glamorous group, but a group that won a superbowl).

this team needs DEPTH...and having THREE third rounders in a draft that isn't great, but has solid depth (according to the "experts") the third round is where you want to be.

i bet the original poster would have been more excited if we came away with pat white and some other "glamor" spot (ie. WR, RB). but sometimes you draft a "boring" guy like hood who plays a more low-profile position (d-line).

but i think the front office has done a fine job and i'm excited for the season that awaits us because i think tomlin is the real deal, and i see nothing that says we're going to have a let down. i, for one, got tired of cowher's mantra...seemed like HE wanted to become the show. tomlin is an "others first" type of coach who isn't into hype. i believe that will carry this franchise and now that guys have won with him, they will really believe in him.

we have a franchise, most likely HOF, qb...and we have the best defense on the planet. to get discouraged because we didn't have a second round draft pick, but turned it into a pair of third rounders is a bit odd to me...

I wasn't saying that I didn't like the pick.

I was saying that people would be calling Hood a reach. I don't think it's a reach at all. Like I said, you need defense linemen. Everyone is switching to a 3-4. If you get one at 32 that you think can fit your system, you take it. It doesn't matter if he was the BPA.

As for the moves I was kind of hoping they would make? I would have been super pumped to have nabbed Oher, but it wasn't that big of a deal when he came off the board.

Personally, I'm glad Baltimore got him. I'd rather they take him than a receiver or stud LB. James Harrison makes veterans look pathetic; he'll destroy Oher.

I would have liked to have gotten some of the talent available about 10-15 picks in front of our 2nd. I even like some guys that we could have drafted there at 64. They didn't like anything there. The more I think of it, the more I like it.

I'm very satisfied.

LVSteelersfan
04-26-2009, 02:11 AM
Don't worry. We already know all the naysayers who will be saying he is a bust because he doesn't do much this year. That is ok. Those of us who believe in the way the Steelers do things know that some players will be busts but usually the first rounders turn into pretty solid players. We already know that Mendenhall and Sweed are busts. NOT.

Steel-Bryan
04-26-2009, 02:13 AM
Even if he doesent Start his first year, or make an impact his first season, dont worry. It'll all work out in the end. :tt03:

Steel-Bryan
04-26-2009, 02:17 AM
Don't worry. We already know all the naysayers who will be saying he is a bust because he doesn't do much this year. That is ok. Those of us who believe in the way the Steelers do things know that some players will be busts but usually the first rounders turn into pretty solid players. We already know that Mendenhall and Sweed are busts. NOT.

haha wow we practically said the same thing at the same time

Rick5895
04-26-2009, 07:18 AM
I love the draft and the draft never sucks to me. I also like the pick of Ziggy Hood even though I wanted Gilbert at 32.lol

Ziggy seems like a Steeler type player and will instantly upgrade our inside pass rush in our sub package defenses. I'm confident that our coaches can mold Hood into a 3-4 DE that can maybe play some NT at times. Plus learning from the best 3-4 DE in the NFL in Aaron Smith isn't a bad thing.

The Steelers also have three third round picks. Caldwell, Mike Thomas, Duke Robinson, Fenuki Tupou, are players still out there for the taking.

Gilbert is still there and we could/ should get him with one of the picks in the 3rd, same with Duke Rbinson

Galax Steeler
04-26-2009, 07:24 AM
I am not disapointed in our first day I think they done good with what they had to work with. I don't think no one should be disapointed with this pick.

mulldog24
04-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Yea but if we would have traded up to get Beatty we wouldnt have 3 3rd rounders tomorrow. There is still a lot of talent on the board.

I agree with you BSC there is no guarantee that Beaty would be worth the picks to get him and today does look pretty nice with 3 3rd round picks:tt03: Maybe we can still get Jamon merrideth/Gerold Cadogan,Jarron Gilbert,and or Antoine Caldwell!!!!!:tt03::popcorn::drink:

steeltheone
04-26-2009, 08:11 AM
I disagree about ziggy not needing to make an impact. He is a first round pick. Kiesel and Smith are both injury prone and need a break now and then. I don't think he has to be a star. But he does need to make an impact.

stillers4me
04-26-2009, 08:15 AM
We are the World Champs, we nearly have a duplicate team returning next year, Hines and Harrison are Steelers for life and I believe our young O line learned a lot last year and will play with a chip on their shoulders this year. (and then there's our QB ....you know, the one that holds the ball too long :hunch:) We've got a top notch young guy coming onto our D line to learn from the best defensive coach ever seen in the NFL. (Lebeau! :tt03:) And he's got a great name...... (Ziggy!) :chuckle:

I'm a happy Steelers fan today.

I watched all the other teams spend money like drunken sailers for the last couple of months for other teams rejects and problems. We quietly signed back world champion football players.

It's the Steelers way. No flash. But like a stealth bomber, we'll hit ya and you'll never even know we're coming.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-26-2009, 10:04 AM
I disagree about ziggy not needing to make an impact. He is a first round pick. Kiesel and Smith are both injury prone and need a break now and then. I don't think he has to be a star. But he does need to make an impact.

Keisel is a bit injury prone, but Aaron Smith isn't. Smith's only injury that I can think of that kept him off the field was in 2007 when he tore his biceps against the Patriots...AND CONTINUED TO PLAY.

Does he get banged up during the year? Yeah, he's a freaking defensive lineman. But he's damn sure not injury prone.