PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS IN STORE FOR THE 3RD ROUND???

kkeener16
04-26-2009, 12:46 AM
I would like to know what you think our picks will be in round 3? My choices would be to take maybe gilbert an ol and maybe a wr like ramses barden!!!! Let me know what you think..

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 12:47 AM
I would like to know what you think our picks will be in round 3? My choices would be to take maybe gilbert an ol and maybe a wr like ramses barden!!!! Let me know what you think..

See article I just posted in the War Room - mesa

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=35443

fordfan485
04-26-2009, 12:52 AM
I wonder if the steelers are interested still in a CB, I'm kind of surpised Virginia Tech's Victor "Macho" Harris is still on the board, I would have thought we would have gone in the 2nd round

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2009, 12:55 AM
I could see the Steelers looking for interior line and there will be somebody available with pick 15 tomorrow.

I also think they will look for a WR with speed that is a vertical threat and might have some return value. Mike Thomas fits that bill.

and I hope I see a CB selected that likes to tackle. Mike Mickens, Donald Washington come to mind, but I still think Keenan Lewis can flat out cover, although he is not a big hitter. 3 picks in the 3rd round is a great move!! :thumbsup: especially in a draft with few stars, but solid depth.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2009, 12:57 AM
I wonder if the steelers are interested still in a CB, I'm kind of surpised Virginia Tech's Victor "Macho" Harris is still on the board, I would have thought we would have gone in the 2nd round

Macho is too slow and doesnt play off man coverage well. I thought he might go anywhere in the late 3rd to 5th round. We still might look at him later as a nickel back, but I dont think he can start anywhere but in a cover 2 defense.

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Hopefully we will get someone good. After all Hines Ward was a third round pick.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Jasper Brinkley...ILB from S.Carolina :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
04-26-2009, 01:27 AM
steelers lose leftwich, macfadden, washington, russell, and i think roye and possibly another. = 6

we gain z. hood and k. ratliff. you gotta think all our 3rd round picks will make the team which means about 5 other draft picks will not, or 5 people off the current roster will be shown the door.

our 3rd round seems to be really imp and anyone beyond that will just be gravy to make the squad.

i say gilbert, caldwell and a cb or vasquez, and we are set.

Avoid LLoyd1975
04-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Too hard too predict. I am still swoll over our first rounder? Caught me off guard. OL still a need. Darnell Stapleton starting on opening day gives me nightmares. I thought for sure that Beatty was going to fall into our lap until the G-men little giants stole his a$$. It would have been nice to get him and be able to move Colon to guard.

Steely McSmash
04-26-2009, 02:39 AM
steelers lose leftwich, macfadden, washington, russell, and i think roye and possibly another. = 6

Kendall Simmons, Marvel Smith of note. Batch has Lefty's roster spot though.

Steely McSmash
04-26-2009, 03:00 AM
I think we should look for G, C, OT, WR as priority. With the addition of another veteran corner, that's on the back-burner for a late rounder maybe.

Caldwell would be the obvious choice at C. He can also fill in at guard. Not sure if he'll last another 15 picks though

Plenty of Guards are available and of thrid round talent. Kraig Urbik, Fenuki Tupou, Duke Robinson are all still on the board

At tackle you have Meredith, Cadogan TJ Lang and Kropog

WR was hit kind of hard Juaquin Iglesias and Derrick Williams might be the top guys. Mike Wallace visited and can return kicks.

My guess is that we'll look for Caldwell first, a tackle second and a WR at the end. I think that if we don't get Caldwell, we don't draft a center this year.

steelreserve
04-26-2009, 05:15 AM
you gotta think all our 3rd round picks will make the team which means about 5 other draft picks will not, or 5 people off the current roster will be shown the door. our 3rd round seems to be really imp and anyone beyond that will just be gravy to make the squad.

Yeah, that's probably right. Our roster is still pretty full, even has a bit of a backlog from last year's draft, at least in terms of guys who can contribute. I doubt we'll let any of our third-rounders go right away, because after all, they're the majority of our top half of the draft. But I have a feeling even some of them could end up on the practice squad or as special teams backups playing like 8 snaps the whole year, because space is pretty tight.

Man, though, if we're probably cutting some of our picks before the season even starts, it just makes it all the more tantalizing that we could've traded up to snag someone like Laurinaitis or Maluaga since they were still there in the second. Kind of quality over quantity, since quantity isn't going to help much. Ahh well. We're in pretty good shape.

MongoSteeler
04-26-2009, 05:26 AM
Colbert has been saying that they tried to move up and couldn't find any takers.

I think that round three goes like this:

The BPA defensive lineman still on our board.
The BPA wide receiver/kick returner still on our board
The BPA O or D linemanstill on our board

The wide receiver/return man may be of a higher priority as it doesn't look to have a lot of good talent left.

Blackvette
04-26-2009, 08:59 AM
We are not as thin as tackle as most think.

We have Tony Hills and Jason Capizzi....which the Steelers are comfortable with.

I think they go with at least one, maybe 2, interior linemen with at least one of their 3rd Rd. picks and DB (even Safety is a consideration).

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Yes, these are the Steelers draft picks in the third round. At first I was happy that the steelers traded out to get more picks, But then realizing that we now have 3 picks in the third round, this is great.

I think it is fair to say though that the importance of these 3 picks can very easily be a measure of how well the FO does duriing a draft. Picking only one player during the first day means you better do something right on the second.

The FO has an opportunity to turn this draft into a great one. I dont think we necessarily believe that we have to pick for need (although it would be nice to pick up a OT and another DE) but I think it is more important to take te best possible player on the board.

Heres to a great day two at the Draft....... :tt03::tt03::tt03:

Texasteel
04-26-2009, 10:06 AM
There are still a couple of OTs out the and this is where I think the value at OG is. Some very good DBs and 3 inside LBs that I like.

If Gilbert is still there will the grab another DL.

This is gooing to be a very interesting day.

kkeener16
04-26-2009, 10:26 AM
MORNING EVERYBODY!!!! WHAT A DAY.. With todays picks I have slept on it and I think our best picks would be with the first of three. 1 would be gilbert to make our dl solid for the future. 2 tj lang or tupou or robinson. 3 go with best wr.. I like ramses barden reminds me of m. colston.. Tell me what you think