40 Yard Dash : 5.3 seconds
Bench Press : 29.0 reps
Vertical Jump : 24.0 inches
Broad Jump : 94.0 inches
3 Cone Drill : 7.87 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle : 4.89 seconds

Featured Prospects

Overview

When Urbik's streak of 45 consecutive starts came to an end when he injured his knee vs. Penn State in 2008, the Badgers' midseason struggles began. Without their offensive leader, Wisconsin lost five of six contests before a fully recovered Urbik, the right offensive guard, guided the team to a 3-1 record to close out the season.

Wisconsin has been known for developing quite a bit of offensive line talent for the NFL ever since former head coach Barry Alvarez arrived on campus. A member of that renowned coach's best recruiting class, Urbik was the first Badger freshman to start at offensive tackle since All-American Chris McIntosh did in 1996. Urbik would go on to start 16 games at right tackle and 34 at right guard during his career -- and that versatility has made him one of the most coveted linemen in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Coach Alvarez hit the "mother lode" when he went recruiting at Hudson High School, as he not only secured the services of Urbik, but those of his prep teammate, Eric Vanden Heuvel, who went on to start on the right side of the Badger's front wall for the last three seasons.

At Hudson High School, Urbik was named to Prep Star's All-American team and was rated one of the top 55 players in the Midwest, according to Super Prep, as a senior. He was rated the third-best player in Wisconsin by Rivals.com, earning first-team All-State honors from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The team captain and MVP was also a first-team All-Conference selection while starting every game as a junior and senior. Urbik lettered in basketball and track, in addition to playing football. As a senior, he placed fifth in shot put at the Division I state meet.

Urbik enrolled at Wisconsin in 2004, earning Scout Team Player of the Week honors for his performance on that squad prior to the Michigan State clash. In 2005, he started 13 games at right offensive tackle, delivering 66 knockdowns and nine touchdown-resulting blocks to earn second-team Freshman All-American honors. The team ranked 14th in the nation in scoring (34.31 ppg) and 11th in pass efficiency (149.51 rating) during his first year with the varsity.

In 2006, Urbik shifted to right offensive guard. He tallied 83 knockdowns and eight touchdown-resulting blocks to help the Badgers average 29.23 points and 373.2 yards per game in total offense. Even though the front wall allowed 30 quarterback sacks, only one was charged to its sophomore offensive guard.

As a junior, Urbik received consensus All-Big Ten Conference second-team honors. He started the first 10 games at right guard, closing the season with three more starting assignments at left tackle. He registered a team-high 104 knockdowns and led the Big Ten guards with 15 touchdown-resulting blocks. Behind his stellar performance, the team averaged 408.77 yards per game, finishing second in the league and 21st nationally with a rushing average of 200.77 yards. He also recorded the only tackle of his career, coming vs. Penn State.

Despite suffering a knee injury vs. Penn State that would sideline Urbik for two midseason games, he was named to Phil Steele's All-American first-team and chosen first-team All-Big Ten Conference by several publications. He made 72 knockdowns and 11 touchdown-resulting blocks, paving the way for the conference-leading ground attack that averaged 211.15 yards per game, the 14th-best figure in the nation.

High School

Attended Hudson (Wis.) High School, playing football for head coach Craig Jilek...Was a teammate of current Wisconsin Badgers offensive tackle Eric Vanden Heuvel...Named to Prep Star's All-American team and was rated one of the top 55 players in the Midwest, according to Super Prep, as a senior...Rated the third-best player in Wisconsin by Rivals.com, earning first-team All-State honors from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel as a senior...The team captain and MVP was also a first-team All-Conference selection while starting every game as a junior and senior...Lettered in basketball and track, in addition to playing football...As a senior, he placed fifth in shot put at the Division I state meet.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Your fist job.

PROTECT Big Ben!

Dino 6 Rings
04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
When in need, draft an Olineman from Wisconsin or Nebraska. Works every time.

IamTheSteelGod
04-26-2009, 11:09 AM
On the video on NFL.COM they said at times he has bad foot work, also looks like he was holding alot. Thats all we need, well as long as he doesn't jump offside too. :-|

kkeener16
04-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Absolutely love this pick!!! We need to dominate the this 3rd round.. How about dj moore ,tj lang, duke robinson, or even meredith

KeiselPower99
04-26-2009, 11:12 AM
He has the Steeler name...URBIK

IamTheSteelGod
04-26-2009, 11:14 AM

LOL so true. :tt:

billybob
04-26-2009, 11:15 AM
When in need, draft an Olineman from Wisconsin or Nebraska. Works every time.

Gotta agree with that , we located Mike Webser from out of Wisconsin. We all know how that turned out !!!!!!!

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 11:23 AM
ESPN analysis

Urbik is a blue-collar player who doesn't have the greatest athleticism but plays with an aggressive attitude. He shows good strength at the point of attack and works hard to finish blocks. However, his lack of lateral mobility brings up some concerns against quicker interior players.

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Ranked 3rd best OT by ProfootballWeekly
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Player+Rankings/2009/OffGuards.htm
Player rankings for offensive guards

April 23, 2009

Updated Wednesday, April 22
Rk. # Name School Grade Height Weight Speed Notes
1. 66 Andy Levitre Oregon State 5.75 6025 305 5.36 C, OT
2. 72 Duke Robinson Oklahoma 5.65 6050 329 5.37 X, OT, Ch.
3. 63 Kraig Urbik Wisconsin 5.45 6051 328 5.39 OT

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Pick Analysis NFL Network

Pick Analysis:The former Badger is a tough, blue-collar player with the ability to create a push along the line. Though he has limited athleticism, he gives the team a quality young player with the potential to develop into a versatile starter.

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 12:23 PM
NFL Combine Analysis

Analysis

Positives: Versatile player who could handle strong-side guard or tackle duties. Tall and strong with a solid punch. Very difficult to bull rush, as he uses his hands and anchors very well. Moves feet fairly well in pass protection, walling off tackles to create holes inside and getting to linebackers at the second level. Traps and pulls inside, usually finding a target to negate. Combos well, pushing with one arm on the tackle and reaching the linebacker. Willing to head downfield on pass plays to get to safeties and corners. Comes out of his stance with power and gets his hands up on his man's jersey quickly. Picks up twists and blitzes well.

Negatives: Plays a bit tall at times, and can get off balance. Loses the leverage battle at times as his pads aren't low enough in short-yardage situations. Best at trapping or pulling just outside the right tackle. Doesn't dominate smaller players in space as much as you'd think at his size. Tends to lean into his man a bit too much at the line, getting off balance and only adequately recovering.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

Rek
04-26-2009, 12:32 PM
ESPN analysis

Urbik is a blue-collar player who doesn't have the greatest athleticism but plays with an aggressive attitude. He shows good strength at the point of attack and works hard to finish blocks. However, his lack of lateral mobility brings up some concerns against quicker interior players.

:tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2009, 12:36 PM
On the video on NFL.COM they said at times he has bad foot work, also looks like he was holding alot. Thats all we need, well as long as he doesn't jump offside too. :-|

Yeah, but what did they say GOOD about him??

I watched at least 3 Wisconsin games this year and broke him down. Plus I watched him at the Senior Bowl. Urbik is a polished technician that is adequate with his footwork. Plus, he is a NASTY mauler in the run game and has played both OT and OG in his 4 years of starting at Wisconsin.

Closing your hands on a defender inside the breastplate of his shoulder pads (inside the frame) is not gonna be called holding. It happens every play.

Kraig Urbik/OG/#63/5Sr: Urbik is a four-year starter who's effectively played the guard and tackle positions. He's a workmanlike lineman who lacks the eye-popping athleticism, yet is just a good football player. He's worthy of a third-round grade but is likely to be drafted a frame later. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/12/18/bowl-prospects-1/1.html

Steely McSmash
04-26-2009, 12:40 PM
From BA's comments on Steelers.com. They're looking to possibly convert Urbik to center or at least make him a position flexible backup.

Whatís your take on Kraig Urbik?
I love him. Big, tough, nasty type of guy that has position flexibility. Heís played some tackle. Like they showed him on TV, if you just go out and play one-on-one you arenít picking him on your team. When you put him in a football game, on offensive line there a lot of guys that donít play good one-on-one. Itís learning how to play together. This kid understands football. Heís a big physical guy that we think can play guard or tackle. Weíll stick the ball between his legs and see if he can do that too, so he has the ability to dress on Sunday and be a guy that could possibly be a three position player for us.

Heís never played center before?
No, heís practiced it but thatís not something that he has done a lot of.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Here is a senior bowl report from Walter football that was posted on this website. It covers 2 of our picks.

# In the 1v1 battles going on at the North end zone, Ziggy Hood continued to dominate, but not if Kraig Urbik had anything to say about it. Urbik handled Hood's spin well and stood him up and displayed a nasty demeanor.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=31925&page=2

I am tellin you all. If you like a big O lineman with a nasty disposition......you are gonna love Urbik!!

Dino 6 Rings
04-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Urbik, O Lineman.Wisconsin.

Sounds like a Steeler Draft to me.

IamTheSteelGod
04-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but what did they say GOOD about him??

I watched at least 3 Wisconsin games this year and broke him down. Plus I watched him at the Senior Bowl. Urbik is a polished technician that is adequate with his footwork. Plus, he is a NASTY mauler in the run game and has played both OT and OG in his 4 years of starting at Wisconsin.

Closing your hands on a defender inside the breastplate of his shoulder pads (inside the frame) is not gonna be called holding. It happens every play.

Kraig Urbik/OG/#63/5Sr: Urbik is a four-year starter who's effectively played the guard and tackle positions. He's a workmanlike lineman who lacks the eye-popping athleticism, yet is just a good football player. He's worthy of a third-round grade but is likely to be drafted a frame later. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/12/18/bowl-prospects-1/1.html

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/kraig-urbik?id=71495

Watch the video looks like holding to me. Although it does state that the senior bowl wasn't one of his finest moments.

Dino 6 Rings
04-26-2009, 12:45 PM

Watch the video looks like holding to me. Although it does state that the seniour bowl wasn't one of his finest moments.

Um they don't call that holding anymore apparently. So its a Solid Block according to the NFL Rules now. :wink02:

IamTheSteelGod
04-26-2009, 12:48 PM
LoL :applaudit: fair do's!:tt02:

The Definiti0n
04-26-2009, 12:53 PM
The guys on NFL Network said he is can play either guard and is goin to have a long career

Steelman16
04-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the Steelers Mr. Urbik! :tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2009, 01:06 PM

Watch the video looks like holding to me. Although it does state that the senior bowl wasn't one of his finest moments.

For some reason the video isnt working for me. maybe my Kaspersky is blocking it. I recorded Wisconsin games just to look at Urbik and Andy Kemp this year. I also recorded all week of senior bowl on my PVR and watched him and other linemen intently.

Urbik was a nasty mauler in the drills and in games. He even looked fine on short pulls for their RB's at Wisconsin. Again, if he is grabbing up top on the shoulder pads its gonna be called a hold, but if he is grabbing inside by the numbers, it will not be called.

I am telling you guys, he is a prototypical Steeler guard that is gonna have a 10 year career in the NFL. Might never make a pro bowl, but rock solid and probably replaces Darnell Stapleton at RG this year.

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 01:13 PM
From PFW 3rd round impressions
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2009/Round3Picks.htm

After failing to land the interior offensive linemen they were seeking in the first round, the Steelers found more help with their second pick, adding versatile Wisconsin OG-OT Kraig Urbik to shore up the offensive line. He played better outside as a junior than he did inside as a senior and may allow Willie Colon to kick inside to maximize the efficiency of the line.

19ward86
04-26-2009, 01:16 PM
im dont know much about him, and he seems like an overweight guy who will spend his first season or 2 in the gym.

KeiselPower99
04-26-2009, 01:23 PM
From PFW 3rd round impressions
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2009/Round3Picks.htm

After failing to land the interior offensive linemen they were seeking in the first round, the Steelers found more help with their second pick, adding versatile Wisconsin OG-OT Kraig Urbik to shore up the offensive line. He played better outside as a junior than he did inside as a senior and may allow Willie Colon to kick inside to maximize the efficiency of the line.

Either way it looks like this is an ugrade to our line.

Fire Haley
04-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I am tellin you all. If you like a big O lineman with a nasty disposition......you are gonna love Urbik!!

I love the big uglies on the Ol and DL. We needed depth badly.

That's what I said I wanted and they delivered. woo -hoo!

Now if our WR can return kicks and play with speed, I am thrilled.

Throw in another nickle corner too - looks like we're filling need - which ain't bad for the SB Champs. All have a chance to make the roster and get playing time to boot.

St33lersguy
04-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Not a bad pick, a guy who can play guard and tackle. I Like it. Welcome aboard Urbik

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2009, 02:42 PM
im dont know much about him, and he seems like an overweight guy who will spend his first season or 2 in the gym.

He was a 4 year starter at Wisconsin and knows where the Gym is. He bench pressed 225lbs 29 times and he was 2nd team all big 10. IMO, he was the best guard prospect next to Mack and Wood.

I bet Urbik is the starting RG this season by week 6 or earlier.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Now if our WR can return kicks and play with speed, I am thrilled.

From what I remember, Wallace is more of a kickoff returner than a punt returner. I could be wrong on that, but the kid is a burner that is more of a longer term project I think.

Fire Haley
04-26-2009, 03:13 PM
That's what we need. I shouldn't have to watch Carey frickin' Davis return kicks.

meelanova
04-26-2009, 10:30 PM

I thought the same lol

BozMan
04-26-2009, 11:09 PM

For some reason, it seems reminiscent of ILKIN.

Galax Steeler
04-27-2009, 05:17 AM
That's what we need. I shouldn't have to watch Carey frickin' Davis return kicks.

I don't think you will have to worry about that anymore I would say he is gone for sure.