PDA

View Full Version : OL: ignored for 4 straight years

thumper
04-26-2009, 05:04 PM
No matter how you slice it; they did it again: ignored the weakest unit, most important of the team: O-line.

I'm so sick of this. And don't give me any nonsense. Want to draft Hood in the 1st? Fine. But then draft one so so OG, and ignore the position for the rest of the draft?

Unacceptable. We have seen our last Super Bowl for a while, until they address the OL. Our OL not only fails to protect our QB but can't open ANY lanes for our backs to save their lives.

I have had it.

Who snuck into the Steelers offices and gave all the personnel staff retard pills?

Steelman16
04-26-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm sorry they ruffled your feathers. Here, have a cookie. :cookie:

thumper
04-26-2009, 05:09 PM

When Ben is getting creamed most weeks, and our running backs have no holes, I am sure you will think it's just hilarious.

They will never win another ring with an Oline that is that bad. Never again.

Steelman16
04-26-2009, 05:13 PM
When Ben is getting creamed most weeks, and our running backs have no holes, I am sure you will think it's just hilarious.

He gets creamed most weeks out of the season, so I don't see your line of reasoning.

It happened once. The catalyst is ready to become the machine. I'm sure you'll think it's just hilarious when we win number 7.

:coffee:

thumper
04-26-2009, 05:18 PM
He gets creamed most weeks out of the season, so I don't see your line of reasoning.

It happened once. The catalyst is ready to become the machine. I'm sure you'll think it's just hilarious when we win number 7.

:coffee:

Those hits take a cumulative toll. Just because he has survived them so far is no indication that future hits will be absorbed without injury. And #7 will never happen unless they improve their OL - and this draft is doing nothing to accomplish that. Not a damn thing.

bigjamesharrison2
04-26-2009, 05:24 PM
LoL....they also drafted a FB, which should help out a little bit if he's as good as I've heard.:tt:

SunshineMan21
04-26-2009, 05:29 PM
No matter how you slice it; they did it again: ignored the weakest unit, most important of the team: O-line.

I'm so sick of this. And don't give me any nonsense. Want to draft Hood in the 1st? Fine. But then draft one so so OG, and ignore the position for the rest of the draft?

Unacceptable. We have seen our last Super Bowl for a while, until they address the OL. Our OL not only fails to protect our QB but can't open ANY lanes for our backs to save their lives.

I have had it.

Who snuck into the Steelers offices and gave all the personnel staff retard pills?

I think we need to at least pay some type of cursory attention to the O-line in the draft (though I like the guys we got), but you're going a bit far.

We won the Super Bowl this year with one of the worst O-lines in the league. We haven't really lost anything, and the line will, if anything, get better, as they're all young.

I would've liked to see a Beatty or Robinson or Loadholt, but the sky is most certainly not falling--our FO knows what it's doing.

Crow-Magnon
04-26-2009, 05:34 PM

Hey, as a Ravens fan, I can tell you that we said the same exact thing about the Steelers during the 2005 season and especially during the 2008 season. :laughing: :noidea:

stillers4me
04-26-2009, 05:34 PM
I guess we'll have to suck this year and blow few division games so we can pick higher and pick up some good O lines guys. Otherwise, we'll never win another Superbowl. :banging:

Rek
04-26-2009, 05:36 PM
2005 was a SB win. 2008 was a SB win. I think I trust the FO.

stillers4me
04-26-2009, 05:37 PM
O line was ignored in the draft for 4 straight years. And we won the Superbowl in two of those. Life really sucks.

19ward86
04-26-2009, 05:37 PM
if the right guy isnt there then you just cant draft the next best guy, because he might not be good enough. be patient and wait for someone to fall.

Hapa
04-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Kinda sounds like people complaining last year, I guess they're right, it's not like we won a Superbowl or anything....

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Urbik suddenly makes our run game better. Kemo, Hartwig, Urbik, Colon.......are all road graders in the run game. Starks is good when motivated.

Add to that there is depth in Hills, Stapleton, Essex, Capizzi and maybe even Legursky and I am fine with it.

Plus, the 7th round is still there and you may see a solid RT there for the future. I am not normally rude, but if you dont like it .........just go away.

cubanstogie
04-26-2009, 05:52 PM
We used our 2nd pick on a lineman jack a--. We also needed a CB, D-line and a FB. Drafted a speedy WR to replace Nate. We have filled the holes and picked up 2 possible speedy return guys. Mack wasn't available or we probably would have taken him. Our line showed major improvement toward the end of the year. I am not a Carey Davis fan by any means and hope Summers can replace him in a short time. The glass is half full for me, I am pretty pumped.

CPanther95
04-26-2009, 05:53 PM
We drafted Roethlisberger so we wouldn't need an offensive line.

Why protect a QB that has a better QB rating once contacted by the defense? Jeez - that's Football 101.

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 06:07 PM
troll is trolling

Agree

55BaileyFan
04-26-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm tired of everyone mouthing the line.

First, Ben himself said that only 40 to 50% of the sacks allowed should be put on the shoulders of his line.

Second, who are you gonna bench? The line is solid on the left side. Max and Kemo only allowed 9 sacks all season. Kemo and Smith was another story, but Smith whose pass blocking was poor is gone now. The problem side was the combination of Stapleton, Simmons and Colon.

They addressed the right side by drafting Kraig Urbik (guard/tackle) he's gonna surprise people. Who else do you wanna them to bench?

fansince'76
04-26-2009, 06:20 PM

I have had it.

Don't break an ankle jumping off the bandwagon. :coffee:

rbryan
04-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Urbik in the 3rd and now Shipley in the 7th sounds like we did just fine......at least compared to previous years.

I'm pretty happy with all the picks.

stillers4me
04-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Urbik in the 3rd and now Shipley in the 7th sounds like we did just fine......at tleast compared to previous years.

Don't forget about the TANK effect. :chuckle:

cubanstogie
04-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Urbik in the 3rd and now Shipley in the 7th sounds like we did just fine......at tleast compared to previous years.

We basically got Shipley for Mahan. That is a no lose situation. Mahan was horrible. A smart guy with good work ethic goes a long way at center. A good value pick no matter how it pans out.

tony hipchest
04-26-2009, 06:30 PM
steelers win SB in 2 of the last 4 years.

pardon mon francais sil vous plait, mais...

dumbass.

rbryan
04-26-2009, 06:31 PM
I was screaming at the TV when they passed on Shipley in the 5th for "Da Tank" not to mention the 6th rd but alls well that ends well.

steelerdave1969
04-26-2009, 06:33 PM
We used our 2nd pick on a lineman jack a--. We also needed a CB, D-line and a FB. Drafted a speedy WR to replace Nate. We have filled the holes and picked up 2 possible speedy return guys. Mack wasn't available or we probably would have taken him. Our line showed major improvement toward the end of the year. I am not a Carey Davis fan by any means and hope Summers can replace him in a short time. The glass is half full for me, I am pretty pumped.

Very nice post Cuban, I agree with you whole heartedly bud. I think the Steelers have a done a solid job in this draft myself. DE to start with and maybe moving to NT after Casey Hampton moves on I think that Hood is gonna be very valuable player for the Steelers. Maybe Not right away, but I think the Steelers have a solid choice in him myself. The OG from Wisconsin that some are saying OT.. he is strictly a OG according to most that are in the business of evaluating talent. He was a very nice inside lineman for the Badgers. WR Mike Wallace has great speed and is a nice return man that I think the Steelers needed So Badly. RB/FB Summers gives us a nice addition for a short yardage back in my opinion and maybe, just maybe we have seen the last of the most unneeded player on the Steelers offense in '08 in Davis.
Oh yeah, we just added another Olineman in C A.Q. Shipley from Penn State that makes a lot of sense to me also.

The Definiti0n
04-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Urbik now Shipley add Tony Hills to the mix. I think we have depth and competiton in the O line

The Duke
04-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Urbik now Shipley add Tony Hills to the mix. I think we have depth and competiton in the O line

yep, that's 8 linemen counting the starters and 9 counting Essex

I can't even make a prediction at this point....

bigjamesharrison2
04-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Good stuff...I think our o-line of the present/future is shaping up.

Kaeg
04-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm pretty happy with this draft overall. I thought we addressed needs pretty well for the position we are in. But then again, my join date on the board isn't April '09. :tt02:

steelerdave1969
04-26-2009, 06:44 PM
DT Evander Hood Missouri
Adds a very good player that can play DE or NT in my opinion for the Steelers
OG Kraig Urbik Wisonsin
This guy is a good road grader that helped the Badgers be one of the best running teams in the Nation last season.
WR Mike Wallace Ole Miss
Sounds like this guys has awesome speed and can be a big time player in the return game and the Steelers needed that.
RB/FB Frank Summers UNLV
This guy is a monster runner that loves to run inside and has good feet... sound familiar?
C A.Q. Shipley Penn St.
Steelers get this guy for depth and Mel Kiper said he is a poor mans Mike Webster.. I think that is pretty good company myself..

Over all I think the Steelers have done nicely in this draft considering where they drafted every round.

rbryan
04-26-2009, 06:45 PM
I think Urbik is the starting RG at some point this season. Shipley will take a year or two to develop and be the center here for the next ten years.

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Im not going to go as far as the OP is, but hes right about Ben taking hits..Guy was carted off the field on a stretcher. How many more years before he can't shake as many and just gets lit up by free rushers??

I can understand how hard it is to pass block for Ben because how he holds the ball.........

What I can't accept is a 24th ranked rushing attack. I don't want to hear about FWP and Mendy being hurt either. Pretty hard to run when you have to shake guys 1-2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Ben gets put in 3rd and long far too much.

Oh yeah we were dead freaking last in Short yardage conversions:mad:

We're never going to dominate the league with a 24th ranked rushing attack, and its leaving us open for a fatal blow in the event of a B-Roeth injury. We can't play O like we did last year and hope to keep on winning championships or keep our Qb alive for another 5 years

Like all things in life, we have to adapt if we want to survive

The Duke
04-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Im not going to go as far as the OP is, but hes right about Ben taking hits..Guy was carted off the field on a stretcher. How many more years before he can't shake as many and just gets lit up by free rushers??

I thought that was cause he's a drama queen :hunch:

We're never going to dominate the league with a 24th ranked rushing attack, and its leaving us open for a fatal blow in the event of a B-Roeth injury. We can't play O like we did last year and hope to keep on winning championships or keep our Qb alive for another 5 years

well, we did win the super bowl with it :champs:

Like all things in life, we have to adapt if we want to survive

thanks darwin. here's your :cookie:

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2009, 07:08 PM
With all that said Im happy as hell we've done as much as we have the last 5 years. I just want us to see us take the next step

pepsyman1
04-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Two for the D-line, two for the O-line, two corners, a fast wide out and a fullback....I really don't think you can ask for much more than that out of this draft. Realistically, we don't need any of our draft picks to be starters this year, we have time to let them develop within the system and step in when ready. I think we potentially picked up some guys that long term will become strong contributors.

devilsdancefloor
04-26-2009, 07:14 PM

I have had it.

See ya heard the * need more bandwagon fans

X-Terminator
04-26-2009, 07:18 PM

I have had it.

It was probably you, since obviously you've been taking them all your life.

If you don't like rooting for the most successful franchise in the NFL, the team with the most Super Bowl titles, the team that is the current Super Bowl champion, well, New Cheatland* can always use another bandwagon fan.

X-Terminator
04-26-2009, 07:19 PM
With all that said Im happy as hell we've done as much as we have the last 5 years. I just want us to see us take the next step

Nothing wrong with that - we all want to see that. At least you aren't spouting the typical doomsday garbage like the OP has.

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2009, 07:26 PM
steelers win SB in 2 of the last 4 years.

pardon mon francais sil vous plait, mais...

dumbass. oh nooo....tony is speaking in tongues.....:doh:

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2009, 07:29 PM
i just hope arians is a lil more flexible in his blocking schemes, an actually USES the tank !!! i loved that pick !!!

as a side note....i hope not picking any tackles doesn't lead to a 9+ million dollar payday for starks next year.....:doh:

Hines0wnz
04-26-2009, 07:31 PM

I have had it.

I'm not happy with the lack of attention to the O-line in the draft either but the 2 SB wins in the last 4 years tells me the team knows a little more than me. I just accept that no quality OL will be drafted and hope Ben can take hits for a few more years. Other teams trade like crazy and collect FAs, the Steelers meanwhile, collect Lombardi trophies. I give them the benefit of the doubt.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fI6UD1qEGEg/SYDbZjAbOnI/AAAAAAAAAm0/m5tyLu_6Yps/s320/Steelers+Super+Bowl+Trophies.jpg

billybob
04-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Well i can't really get into this thread for now , because the " MACH 5 " has been displaced , out of honor and respect for Hines . But man oh man do i have some things i would like to add to this conversation. I gave the " MACH 5 " the draft weekend off , as i stated , it was a dedication to the sighning of Hines.
But you will hear more of the "MACH 5 " believe in that!!!!
I did hear Tomlins interview about that very question about the "MACH 5 " . Tomlin seems to feel the same as i and some others do about the topic. One difference , Tomlin does not refer to them as the "MACH 5 " .
PEACE OUT !

SteelersHoss
04-26-2009, 07:57 PM
What was Ben's quote after the Superbowl talking about all of the negative press about the O line?
It was something like, "Look who's laughing now"
Dude, you need to calm down and trust the Rooney's. They are obviously doing something right.

Godfather
04-26-2009, 07:57 PM
The O-line did a good job in the postseason. I would have liked to have Mack or Oher but they were off the board and there wasn't anyone at #32 who justified the pick. So we went with a long-term need, which was the right call. We need to start grooming Hampton's successor now.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-26-2009, 08:00 PM
We added an offensive line on our second pick (in the third round) but we addressed the OL situation. There was not an OL available that was worth 1st round pick.
This is what happens when you win SuperBowls........

VegasStlrFan
04-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Pretty solid draft IMO, some immediate needs addressed. I like the mix of positions, especially the speed and power picks (Wallace & Summers). If Wallace can stretch the field and produce as a return man, he'll be an instant impact to the O. Same for Summers, shortyard pounder and lead blocker, another immediate need addressed.

Two for the oline is very good. I'm not sure there were immediate fix(es) available, besides there are more ways to improve oline performance than by simply changing bodies. It's pretty tough for any 5 to deal with 8 in the box. A deep threat and a pounder change defensive schemes which inturn affect line performance

tony hipchest
04-26-2009, 08:08 PM
oh nooo....tony is speaking in tongues.....:doh: :chuckle: yeah, i only break out with the potty mouth and the french for the dumbest of the dumb.

this may mark a first and definitely takes the cake. :dang:

SteelersinCA
04-26-2009, 08:14 PM
I am so angry we didn't spend all 7 rounds on O-line, we could have had a whole new O-line!!!!! WTFOMGBBQ!!!!!!!!! We could have traded Willie Parker for like a 1st round pick to get another O-lineman too!!! I hate the Rooneys, they never win more super bowls than any other franchise in the history of the.....oh wait....:doh:

billybob
04-26-2009, 08:39 PM
I am so angry we didn't spend all 7 rounds on O-line, we could have had a whole new O-line!!!!! WTFOMGBBQ!!!!!!!!! We could have traded Willie Parker for like a 1st round pick to get another O-lineman too!!! I hate the Rooneys, they never win more super bowls than any other franchise in the history of the.....oh wait....:doh:

Thats the spirit , now i can laugh at that. That was pretty good steel brother . I know you have to win every Superbowl year in and year out to have any shot at satisfying some people. I don't know if that has been done , has it ?
Sometimes you have to break out that MCguiver instinct and work with what you have available . Little piece of thread , and a match , we are good to go . That was a spirited post bro.

GodofGridiron
04-26-2009, 08:48 PM
How on earth could we NOT address the longsnapper position along with the Punter.

Classic Steeler FO fk'up again..........

Man !!! We'll never win any Superbo....... Wait !!!! We..........did........just win......

Nevermind.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Oh yeah we were dead freaking last in Short yardage conversions:mad:

Sorry, but not having a true blocking FB and scheme had a lot to do with that, as did Darnell Stapleton. Urbik will help, but remains to be seen if a decent lead blocker will help.

I still think we choose to pass on 3rd and 2 in the new Steeler offense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2009, 09:02 PM
i just hope arians is a lil more flexible in his blocking schemes, an actually USES the tank !!! i loved that pick !!!

as a side note....i hope not picking any tackles doesn't lead to a 9+ million dollar payday for starks next year.....:doh:

Yeah, I believe they think Hills or Capizzi can be the guy in 2010 if they are having to tag Starks again. I am loving the Ok St. LT already in the 2010 draft, but he wont fall to us at #32 either.

Psyychoward86
04-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Lmao, way to judge a book by its cover without giving it a chance. I can imagine what your reaction will be if any of the two O-linemen we drafted become starters for a decade?

tony hipchest
04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Sometimes you have to break out that MCguiver instinct and work with what you have available . Little piece of thread , and a match , we are good to go .

:chuckle: if i were into pasting posters comments into my sig, this would be 1 i would probably consider.

but im not, so i wont.... still funny (and true) though. :drink:

SteelersinCA
04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Thats the spirit , now i can laugh at that. That was pretty good steel brother . I know you have to win every Superbowl year in and year out to have any shot at satisfying some people. I don't know if that has been done , has it ?
Sometimes you have to break out that MCguiver instinct and work with what you have available . Little piece of thread , and a match , we are good to go . That was a spirited post bro.

Excellent excellent post Billybob!

devilsdancefloor
04-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Lmao, way to judge a book by its cover without giving it a chance. I can imagine what your reaction will be if any of the two O-linemen we drafted become starters for a decade?

His reaction would be I KNEW it the FO are genius :wink02:

lilyoder6
04-26-2009, 09:55 PM
getting 2 interior lineman.. is not bad when they gave kemo a 5 yr deal.. and trying to get starks 2 a long term deal

KeiselPower99
04-26-2009, 10:00 PM
No offense buddy but you could put 5 pro bowlers up there and they are gonna have a tough time protecting Ben. He is mobile and moves around alot. There for he is gonna get hit alot when he tries to extend the play. We took 2 guys today that will help us alot in the future.

billybob
04-26-2009, 10:09 PM
:chuckle: if i were into pasting posters comments into my sig, this would be 1 i would probably consider.

but im not, so i wont.... still funny (and true) though. :drink:

Thanks Tone , i think we all have a little McGuiver in us. We are a strong nation , well the "Steeler Nation " anyway , we ; all of us included , can never agree on everything , but we do agree on one thing , the Steelers are a passionate part of all our lives . No one on this board seems to take them lightly . Man that can open up a can of worms ,but it can add a lot of drama to your day. I think we all have a lot of things to be thankful for , our special team that brings a lot of people together , for good , or bad is one of them. FREAKIN STEELERS RULE ! ! ! ! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

billybob
04-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Excellent excellent post Billybob!

Thanks goes out to you too sir. Sometimes you have to try wit to get through to some people. Thankyou.

Southern Steelers
04-26-2009, 10:38 PM
I was dissapointed that we didn't take an OLineman in the 1st also. But we are looking at more than the 1st game in the 09 season.

I think the best way to get thru to the OP is to look at it from another teams perspective, since I am in Redskins country let me put it this way. The Skins couldn't sack anyone to save their lives last year so they had Orakpo fall into their laps as a gift from God. Problem is that for the 1st year or 2 he will not be able to man handle guys like he did in college. Then Oline guys will double team him or they will bring in a fullback to slow him down as well. So their problem still exists because they didn't address this 2 or 3 years ago.

The reality is that 1 or 2 "great picks" in any one draft will not have a true impact until at least the 2nd season. And if we neglected the rest of the team and got 2 olineman with the 1st and 2nd picks then what happens when Hampton and Keisel retire in 2 or 3 years? Then we have to scramble and plug holes in our super D.

Just be thankful that you are a Steelers fan and that you do not have to have the insight into all of our picks. Sit back on Sundays and watch us demolish our opponents and think "man that Tomlin and Rooney braintrust is awesome".

I personally could not be happier with this draft. The Wisconsin kid is ok and the addition of Shipley in the LAST ROUND was a steal that I think we will be thankful for 5 years down the road. We addressed every need we had and added some great depth considering we had the last pick. I really think we will be contenders for the next 2 or 3 years at least.

I personally am pumped about September!

ricksteelers55
04-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Those hits take a cumulative toll. Just because he has survived them so far is no indication that future hits will be absorbed without injury. And #7 will never happen unless they improve their OL - and this draft is doing nothing to accomplish that. Not a damn thing.

loll wow why dont you jump on someone else's bandwagon ,you know that the Jags drafted 2 OL in the first 2 rounds right ?

We won the superbowl with the ''so-called'' worst offensive line of the league last year,specially with the toughest schedule since the 70's.So I really dont see why we couldnt do it again.

Hey why dont you buy a football club and draft OL players on all of your 7 picks?

SteelerFanInCA
04-27-2009, 12:48 AM
This guy's too much. :sofunny:

OneForTheToe
04-27-2009, 01:09 AM

:rofl:

Seriousy, some people would only be happy if we did spend our entire draft on o'linemn. It would be useless to draft many more linemen than can make the team.

Steelers & I
04-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Was there a draft sometime recently??

I'm happy with all the picks, they all made sense and we'll learn soon enough that a couple of those guys were absolute steals. :applaudit::hatsoff:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 01:15 AM
You know, if the Steelers stood pat and didnt trade down, they could have drafted
RD1 Eben Britton OT
RD2 Jarron Gilbert DE
RD3 Keenan Lewis CB
RD 4 Duke Robinson OG
RD5 Frank Summers
RD5 Joe Burnett

and the rest is the same. It could have worked, but they obviously liked Hood a lot better than Gilbert and the trade down got the extra pick in Wallace from Ole Miss.

I personally would have liked to see Britton in B&G, and my mock had Britton, Gilbert and Washington in the first 3 rounds......but I am still happy with this draft.

Think of the potential future O line of Tony Hills, Kemo, Shipley, Urbik, Colon and you have a good bunch of young guys, without overpaying an average LT. Besides, next year we can always hope for Russell Okung OT or Matt Tennant C and Sam Young RT to fill out the line.

Cheer up, we still have the best team in the AFC North!!

sherlock
04-27-2009, 02:19 AM
Well i can't really get into this thread for now , because the " MACH 5 " has been displaced , out of honor and respect for Hines . But man oh man do i have some things i would like to add to this conversation. I gave the " MACH 5 " the draft weekend off , as i stated , it was a dedication to the sighning of Hines.
But you will hear more of the "MACH 5 " believe in that!!!!
I did hear Tomlins interview about that very question about the "MACH 5 " . Tomlin seems to feel the same as i and some others do about the topic. One difference , Tomlin does not refer to the as the "MACH 5 " .
PEACE OUT !

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is MACH 5.?
I`ve done a search and know it`s something to do with the o-line but I`m still a little confused......as usual !!

steelreserve
04-27-2009, 03:30 AM

What, would you rather they ignored the D-line for the fourth year in a row? That'd be a problem too.

Trust me, as soon as someone other than Parker is the running back, it'll change the complexion of the offense completely and we'll give up half as many sacks. Of course, everyone will say it was because we had great foresight in re-signing guys like Kemo and Colon to let them develop as players, but really, even a sack of dirt would improve at OL if it was trying to pass block on third-and-5 most times instead of third-and-9.

ricksteelers55
04-27-2009, 04:26 AM
What, would you rather they ignored the D-line for the fourth year in a row? That'd be a problem too.

Trust me, as soon as someone other than Parker is the running back, it'll change the complexion of the offense completely and we'll give up half as many sacks. Of course, everyone will say it was because we had great foresight in re-signing guys like Kemo and Colon to let them develop as players, but really, even a sack of dirt would improve at OL if it was trying to pass block on third-and-5 most times instead of third-and-9.

totally agree...people are sold on Willie because of what he did in XL,but tend to forget that since big Dan left ...NOTHING !!! Kreider was better than people might think,dont want to take anything away from Willie but i think he's a bit overrated.

Galax Steeler
04-27-2009, 04:33 AM
loll wow why dont you jump on someone else's bandwagon ,you know that the Jags drafted 2 OL in the first 2 rounds right ?

We won the superbowl with the ''so-called'' worst offensive line of the league last year,specially with the toughest schedule since the 70's.So I really dont see why we couldnt do it again.

Hey why dont you buy a football club and draft OL players on all of your 7 picks?

Agreed if someone don't like the way the steelers draft they are other teams out there they can pull for.

billybob
04-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is MACH 5.?
I`ve done a search and know it`s something to do with the o-line but I`m still a little confused......as usual !!

No biggy brother, its a long story . Just a nickname i have for the front 5 0-line. It came from a cartoon " Speed Racer ". Guess being from uk you may not have seen it .

43Hitman
04-27-2009, 08:13 AM

Just like last year, right?

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm just excited we drafted a guy on the D Line with a cool name to shout out when he makes a play.

ZIGGY! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Yep. That'll be so Sweed! I mean Sweet.

Most of the experts agree, this was a very less than stellar draft class over all. So the good teams went in drafting Depth, the bad teams, they tried to draft Play Makers, in a class of not very many play makers.

We now added depth to our WRs, OLine, Dline, DBs and even a FB.

WTF is there to complain about again?

I got nonsense for you. Steelers have more Super Bowl Titles than any other Franchise in the NFL. I trust our front office.

stlrtruck
04-27-2009, 08:26 AM

I have had it.

Bitter much? I think with the way this organization has run over the last 25+ years, one would have a little more faith in the FO than you've displayed.

fansince'76
04-27-2009, 08:31 AM
I think with the way this organization has run over the last 25+ years, one would have a little more faith in the FO than you've displayed.

Yeah, right. :toofunny:

Curtain_of_Steel
04-27-2009, 08:49 AM
They will never win another ring again? That is a braod statement considering we just won with this line. Of course the odds in general are against most any teams of winning repeat or over the next couple years, so the line would dissolve by than. But its a way off comment to make based on variable that will occur.

I have been pretty hard on this olline, but we won a ring with them, and as bad as they seem to be at times, they should only get better. Now, yes that could be a funny line, lol.

But this line may in the end be one of 2 things.
1) The death of BB, sorry BB
2) The line that big ben actually fliourishes with, as it forces him to scramble and dodge which is what his game is.

Who knows, the bottom line is we are stuck with them and to be honest I do not see the Steelers anteing up on the FA for an OLINE player next year as the cost is to high.

scsteeler
04-27-2009, 09:17 AM
I am trying to see how the Steelers ignored the O-line we took Urbik in the 3rd and Shipley in the 7th. I am quite pleased with the draft myself. The Steelers took defensive players which is one of the main reasons we have won 2 super bowls in the past 4 years.

I am wondering if some think that the Steelers should have drafted o-linemen with 6 of their picks, not me. Even if you drafted 3 of what was considered the top linemen with your first 3 picks all of these guys would not be starting it takes time to come together on the O-line. I have seen improvement in the O-line play and I guessing the coaching staff feels what we have now is what is best for the team.

I will put my money on the Steeler FO & Coaching Staff!!!!!!!

fansince'76
04-27-2009, 09:25 AM
I am wondering if some think that the Steelers should have drafted o-linemen with 6 of their picks....

Yes, I truly believe that some would not have been satisfied unless the Steelers spent all 9 of their picks in this draft on OL. Another reason I'm glad fans are just that, fans, and the FO is the FO.

BubbyBrister
04-27-2009, 09:38 AM
The FO actually tried to trade up to get O-linemen, but were shut down on several occasions according to what I heard on the news last night and on DVE this morning.

Specifically in the second round

I posted about this in the War Room forum, however we were trying to trade up for Max Unger, C and/or Andy Lavitra, G (both for Ore. State I believe)

It isn't that we weren't offering enough either, Colbert was told that the other teams had someone targeted that they were wanting to take.

You gotta figure, if we didn't trade and get 2 more third rounders, and we moved up in the 2nd (we would've had to have some later round picks used to move up) that a very large percentage or our draft would have went towards O-Line. The FO was trying, but the for the value of the players available when they picked just wasn't there to justify passing up whoever they chose.

steeltheone
04-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Agreed if someone don't like the way the steelers draft they are other teams out there they can pull for.

Can't anybody have an opinion here without getting bitch slapped. If we were all yes men this board not be very interesting. I love the Steelers with all my heart. But our drafts have been very spotty in day 2 for a good many years.

fansince'76
04-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Can't anybody have an opinion here without getting bitch slapped.

So you felt that the "is everybody in the FO on retard pills" comment was a reasonable one?

BlastFurnace
04-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Did Goodell take away our trophies or something....just wondering.

truesteelerfan
04-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Lets remember who the professionals are.....here on this board we are plumbers, firefighters, hotel workers, teachers....and hopefully we are all pretty good at our jobs....The Steelers are a Professional Football organization...and they have proven 6 times (more than any other) that they are the best in their business.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Can't anybody have an opinion here without getting bitch slapped. .
I try very hard to be tolerant of other peoples opinions. The original post of this threat makes me think that the OP wanted a name they recognize like Oher, Unger, Mack, Britton. The fact is that I think Urbik was the best true guard in the draft. Mike Mayock had Andy Levitre ahead of him and that is fine, but Urbik.

I guess I posted my rebuttal at the frustration of fans that dont know the full depth of the O line or D line class, but then come in and post that the Steelers front office and scouts dont know what they are doing.

Last year the Steelers ignored the needs on the O and D line to take BPA. At least this year they got 1 solid player and potentially increased the line by 1 out of 5. If Shipley pans out, they just made their line better by 2 players and if Tony Hills progresses like I think he can, they have 3 solid young players in 2 years of drafting.

So, those of you that just think we can only improve our O line by drafting a guy you saw play on primetime TV like Herman Johnson, Michael Oher, Max Unger and hyped by Kiper or McShay are mistaken. You should have paid attention to some Big Ten football as Wisconsin had at least 3 games on nationally and URBIK LOOKED GREAT IN THEM!!!

revefsreleets
04-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Lets remember who the professionals are.....here on this board we are plumbers, firefighters, hotel workers, teachers....and hopefully we are all pretty good at our jobs....The Steelers are a Professional Football organization...and they have proven 6 times (more than any other) that they are the best in their business.

Be careful...posts like this that make a whole lot of sense will get you tagged with the "Fan Police" moniker...

fansince'76
04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Be careful...posts like this that make a whole lot of sense will get you tagged with the "Fan Police" moniker...

:cheer: :busted: :cheer: :busted: :cheer:

:chuckle:

steelerdave1969
04-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Yes, I truly believe that some would not have been satisfied unless the Steelers spent all 9 of their picks in this draft on OL. Another reason I'm glad fans are just that, fans, and the FO is the FO.

I couldnt have said it better myself Fansince... this was a nice draft by the Steelers in my opinion and I think they did things that are definitely gonna help us to try to win #7

thumper
04-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Urbik in the 3rd and now Shipley in the 7th sounds like we did just fine......at least compared to previous years.

Just like the last 3 years, there were plenty of wasted picks in there. And before you chirp in that we won a Super Bowl so it must not be broken, not single draft pick from last year made much of a contribution at all towards that end. Did Mendenhall? No. Did Sweed? No. How about from the draft before that? Woodley? Yes. And who else? Pretty much no one.

X-Terminator
04-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Just like the last 3 years, there were plenty of wasted picks in there. And before you chirp in that we won a Super Bowl so it must not be broken, not single draft pick from last year made much of a contribution at all towards that end. Did Mendenhall? No. Did Sweed? No. How about from the draft before that? Woodley? Yes. And who else? Pretty much no one.

Yeah, so because there were a few guys who didn't make it or didn't become All-Pros their rookie season, the sky must be falling, the Steelers suck and will never win anything ever again.

Yeah right.

You're just another typical, whiny bitch Steelers fan who will never be satisfied even if they went 19-0.

Talk to me when the clue hammer finally penetrates that giant frickin' shield protecting that pile of mush you call a brain.

revefsreleets
04-27-2009, 11:43 AM
So, let's take this argument and run with it a little further.

Since you're saying the Steelers don't know how to draft, how many players on the 2008 SB Champion team did the Steelers draft? I count 19 of 22 off the top of my head.

BlastFurnace
04-27-2009, 11:44 AM

2007 was a solid draft with Woodley, Timmons, Spaeth, and Gay making significant contributions. Sep would have, but he was hurt. Don't forget Stapleton in this mix as well.

Keep in mind, that the speed and flexibility of what Timmons can do, allowed Troy to stop freelancing so much in the secondary and allowed him to play a more natural Safety.

2008's story is not complete. Give it another year, then we will see.

X-Terminator
04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
2007 was a solid draft with Woodley, Timmons, Spaeth, and Gay making significant contributions. Sep would have, but he was hurt. Don't forget Stapleton in this mix as well.

Keep in mind, that the speed and flexibility of what Timmons can do, allowed Troy to stop freelancing so much in the secondary and allowed him to play a more natural Safety.

2008's story is not complete. Give it another year, then we will see.

4 starters, a starter-in-waiting and a solid backup from the '07 draft alone. You'd think a real fan would know that...but let's be honest. Dumber isn't a real fan now is he?

So, let's take this argument and run with it a little further.

Since you're saying the Steelers don't know how to draft, how many players on the 2008 SB Champion team did the Steelers draft? I count 19 of 22 off the top of my head.

Please, let's not confuse him with those things called "facts." Dumber might not understand...no, he won't understand.

SteelMember
04-27-2009, 11:56 AM
OL Ignored?

I think they all got more than enough in their check envelopes? :noidea:

fansince'76
04-27-2009, 12:46 PM

Send your résumé in to the Rooneys, please. Our FO needs you. How this franchise has even survived, much less won 2 SBs in the last 4 years, without your all-encompassing, hindsight-is-20/20, armchair GM, Madden Franchise Mode wisdom is beyond me. :coffee:

LVSteelersfan
04-27-2009, 01:14 PM

Some people just don't understand that the Steelers draft for the "FUTURE". Sweed was brought in for this year as was Mendenhall. I am betting that Timmons, Sweed and Mendenhall all break out this year, . Frank "the Tank" will pave the way to the end zone for Mendenhall and Ben's tall receiver will finally get up to NFL game speed and be one of the best WRs in the league over the next few years. As far as Timmons goes, you have no clue what you are talking about. He is a beast in waiting and Foote is probably expendable this year and will be the backup or won't even make the team.

I LOVE THE DRAFT THIS YEAR. The only thing I hate is that Colon will probably still be stuck at Tackle. Stapleton's replacement has been drafted. I think Kemo is going to be great as we get our running game going again next year with Frank the Tank leading the way. The Steelers draft for the future at "ALL NEEDED POSITIONS". We have a possible kick returner, tall physical CB, a monster DT and another DT to give us depth on the D-line, a TANK. I think this draft was excellent considering the talent overall just wasn't there in this draft.

sherlock
04-27-2009, 01:37 PM
No biggy brother, its a long story . Just a nickname i have for the front 5 0-line. It came from a cartoon " Speed Racer ". Guess being from uk you may not have seen it .

Thanks billybob,of course if it was an AF reference I would have instantly known what you were getting at,ahem,cough,cough.:chuckle:

steelreserve
04-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Send your résumé in to the Rooneys, please. Our FO needs you. How this franchise has even survived, much less won 2 SBs in the last 4 years, without your all-encompassing, hindsight-is-20/20, armchair GM, Madden Franchise Mode wisdom is beyond me. :coffee:

Hey, all I know is that in Madden 07, Parker still sucks.

fansince'76
04-27-2009, 01:42 PM

:buttkick: :chuckle:

Hines0wnz
04-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Can't anybody have an opinion here without getting bitch slapped. If we were all yes men this board not be very interesting. I love the Steelers with all my heart. But our drafts have been very spotty in day 2 for a good many years.

I have to disagree and say day 2 is typically a better day.

2007: Matt Spaeth, William Gay, Dan Sepulveda
2006: Anthony Smith, Willie Colon
2005: Kemo, Trai Essex
2004: Max Starks
2002: Chris Hope*, Verron Hayes*, Brett Kiesel
2000: Clark Haggans*
1999: Joey FREAKING Porter!*, Aaron Smith, Jerame Tuman*
1998: HINES WARD!, DeShea Townsend

*no longer with team

Hines0wnz
04-27-2009, 02:18 PM

Rookies typically do not make significant contributions to any team so your point is moot.

billybob
04-27-2009, 02:26 PM

Some of us are ceramic tile , hardwood , vinyl , laminate , and carpet installers too .
(LOL)

Rick5895
04-27-2009, 02:34 PM

I have had it.

Well I am sure you know so much more than the Steelers coaching staff and scouts. They tried to move up in the 2nd but were unable to manage a trade. The OL left at 32 weren't 1st round talent, they also needed to draft on the DL aswell, enter Hood. The Guard drafted in round three was a tackle as well in college so he gives more flexibility, Shipley will be a good center. Wallace w is a return specialist, something we have been lacking since El left, the 2 CB drafted will provide depth and help on special teams.

Get over yourself, this is a very good draft and oh by the way, we won the superbowl with a bad OL most of whom are young and will only get better. If Hills works out as an OT then we will be good for years to come.

Cheers

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 02:44 PM
No. How about from the draft before that? Woodley? Yes. And who else? Pretty much no one.

How about:

Timmons
Spaeth
Sepulveda
Gay
Stapleton

The only guys from that draft that didnt make it were Dallas Baker, Cameron Stevenson and Ryan McBean. face it.....there will probably be 3 guys from this draft that dont make the squad long term either.

CPanther95
04-27-2009, 02:58 PM

All I know is after Madden '94, playing video game football became progressively more work and less fun each year.

Galax Steeler
04-27-2009, 03:34 PM

Then why is he not in here defending his opinion. Yes everyone has an opinon but some opinions make no sense at all.

SteelersinCA
04-27-2009, 03:39 PM

You're right Sweed played terrible against Baltimore in the AFCCG, Hines Ward needs to teach him how to block.:banging:

billybob
04-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Don't worry Steeler brothers and sisters , we still have the "MACH 5 " to come to our rescue. We have not ignored our line , we just have been patient while stacking up our league leading defense thats all ." If "we won last year , we should be in pretty fair shape this season . Oh ....... thats right we did win it all last season. We are the class of the league in my opinion , some choose to ignore that "FACT " , or simply do not recognize a regal franchise , when it comes up and smashes you in the face.(KIETH RIVERS)

iceman000123
04-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Well we we might not have paid as much attention to the the line some would have liked but then again the rookies that we did draft. What were the chances they were gonna start over kemo or colon they are ROOKIES not saying that rookies are never amazing but with the 32 draft pick we weren't gonna get an AMAZING Oline pick.

xfl2001fan
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
i cannot believe steelers fans still horray the draft choices. This was a horrible draft for us. People make it sound so fine but its actually not. We could of traded up for alex mack but we were dumb and refused. we could of got duke robinson instead of urbik but we were dumb and refused. We could of got injected with the retarded virus and we did

Wow. I thought I had problems. I root for the Browns. I have all my life...and will continue to bleed Orange and Brown every year. It must be hard to bitch about what your twice in 4 year Superbowl winning franchise is doing. I bet it's harsh rooting for them. You should just jump ship to a stellar franchise like the Bengals or the Lions.

Tell you what, trade all of your players for all of mine. To include draft picks. I won't trade teams (as far as names/colors/city goes) because my heart belongs to Cleveland. But player, they come and go. So let your players go, we'll sign them. But, of course, you have to give up those fantastic shiny little trophies and rings that go with it.

Seriously dude, you need to STFU. Unless you are on the Steelers scouting/coaching staff and they absolutely refuse to listen to anything you have to say, you really can't profess more knowledge than they have and so, have no right to cry. Quit your whining, grow a pair and move on. Enjoy the success your franchise has proudly handed to you for the last few decades. You have no idea what it's like to starve for a championship at the professional level. NONE.

Fire Haley
04-27-2009, 04:59 PM
You must understand.

All the haters are just gearing up for another run this year.

Last year was such a bitter defeat for them.

steelreserve
04-27-2009, 05:11 PM
You must understand.

All the haters are just gearing up for another run this year.

Last year was such a bitter defeat for them.

Yeah, but even though we won the Super Bowl, Parker still sucks.

fansince'76
04-27-2009, 05:14 PM
i cannot believe steelers fans still horray the draft choices. This was a horrible draft for us. People make it sound so fine but its actually not. We could of traded up for alex mack but we were dumb and refused. we could of got duke robinson instead of urbik but we were dumb and refused. We could of got injected with the retarded virus and we did

Obviously somebody did. :coffee:

billybob
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Stop bustin on willy man . I can't take it . (LOL)

CPanther95
04-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Unless he's Patient Zero.

Preacher
04-27-2009, 05:40 PM

With all the shots at Willie in this thread...

Freud would probably deduce that you are actually starting to like the kid and seriously trying to repress those feelings.

So free yourself.

Repeat after me. FREE WILLIE! FREE WILLIE! Let Willie Love run free!! :rofl:

(Shut up Tony. I mean Willie Parker.)

CPanther95
04-27-2009, 05:56 PM

If you mention Freud and "Free Willy" in the same post, you lose the right to prevent us from analyzing your actual meaning. :laughing:

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2009, 05:57 PM
If I was a hater, I'd say something like "hey, I bet we could package a trade with Big Ben, Willie Parker and Santonio Holmes and get some really good draft picks from other teams!"

Effing Haters and Bashers...that's what you are saying when you speak. That is what I hear from you. Shut up your face and at least evaluate the Depth we have, the Talent we targetted and the Needs we have. Don't just shout "The Oline Sucks!" without backing it up. They got better as the year went along and did perform well enough when it mattered, 80 Drive with 2minutes left in the Super Bowl.

Now, what we needed was Depth on the DLINE first, we signed our entire Oline for the year. We needed some Depth at CORNER, McFadden is gone, We needed Depth at RECEIVER, Nate is gone and Sweed has to step into the 3rd spot. We Need some Depth at OLINE and we GOT IT.

So shut up, and learn the way the team you pretend to cheer for actually works.

Psyychoward86
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Wow. I thought I had problems. I root for the Browns. I have all my life...and will continue to bleed Orange and Brown every year. It must be hard to bitch about what your twice in 4 year Superbowl winning franchise is doing. I bet it's harsh rooting for them. You should just jump ship to a stellar franchise like the Bengals or the Lions.

Tell you what, trade all of your players for all of mine. To include draft picks. I won't trade teams (as far as names/colors/city goes) because my heart belongs to Cleveland. But player, they come and go. So let your players go, we'll sign them. But, of course, you have to give up those fantastic shiny little trophies and rings that go with it.

Seriously dude, you need to STFU. Unless you are on the Steelers scouting/coaching staff and they absolutely refuse to listen to anything you have to say, you really can't profess more knowledge than they have and so, have no right to cry. Quit your whining, grow a pair and move on. Enjoy the success your franchise has proudly handed to you for the last few decades. You have no idea what it's like to starve for a championship at the professional level. NONE.

Browns fans have wisdom too. Great input :wink:

X-Terminator
04-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Someone want to tell me where the hell these rubes are coming from? It's the same damn thing every year - "oh, the FO doesn't know what they're doing", they didn't draft this guy, they didn't draft that guy. And yet, all they do is win, win, win. For the love of Pete, SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY!! Your alleged favorite team just won the SB. They have a pretty damn good chance of getting back there again this year. Enjoy that, instead of being the typical whiny ass, never satisfied Steelers fan. Or go root for the Cowgirls or Cheating Bastards*.

fansince'76
04-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Someone want to tell me where the hell these rubes are coming from? It's the same damn thing every year - "oh, the FO doesn't know what they're doing", they didn't draft this guy, they didn't draft that guy. And yet, all they do is win, win, win. For the love of Pete, SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY!! Your alleged favorite team just won the SB. They have a pretty damn good chance of getting back there again this year. Enjoy that, instead of being the typical whiny ass, never satisfied Steelers fan. Or go root for the Cowgirls or Cheating Bastards*.

Yeah, he was another brainiac that thought we should have traded up 12 picks to get Mack. Never mind having any 1st rounders for the next 3-5 years or anything, which is about what a move like that would have cost us. Gotta love the Fantasy Football/Madden Franchise Mode Cognoscenti. :coffee:

lilyoder6
04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
u got 2 love the special ed fans who keep on blasting the steelers over and over again

Galax Steeler
04-28-2009, 04:36 AM

You hit the nail on the head.:toofunny:

revefsreleets
04-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Again, this guy wants us to trade UP for Mack? Why is everybody saying the Browsn picked him too soon, then? This would have been a good pick for us at 21, but a bad pick for them at 21?

Makes no sense at all.

Also, show me the team that hasn't made few draft blunders over the years, and I'll show you a team that.....doesn't actually exist. They all do, even the Steelers.

steelax04
04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Anyone else notice the two schmucks of this thread have a lower combined post count than me?

The Lakelander
04-28-2009, 01:49 PM

I have had it.

Who cares if Ben gets sacked!

And what the hell is it ignoring when we got a RG and a C in the draft?

I hate ignoramouses!

LVSteelersfan
04-28-2009, 06:58 PM
There are only so many positions to go around people. If we bring in nothing but Oline then we have to get rid of all of the Oline players from last year and THEN we have to play a whole new Oline that never played together before. Makes it worse instead of better. People need to get a freakin reality check on how you have to balance out salary cap issues, (by NOT trading up into the first round for more EXPENSIVE PLAYERS) keeping a Super Bowl winning team pretty intact, and not having to release a bunch of those players to bring in rookies who you have no idea if they will pan out or not. The FO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING !!!!! You NAYSAYERS have no CLUE.

ShutDown24
04-28-2009, 07:01 PM

I have had it.

Oh look, you actually did something right. You described your own logic :chuckle:

fansince'76
04-28-2009, 07:03 PM
There are only so many positions to go around people. If we bring in nothing but Oline then we have to get rid of all of the Oline players from last year and THEN we have to play a whole new Oline that never played together before. Makes it worse instead of better. People need to get a freakin reality check on how you have to balance out salary cap issues, (by NOT trading up into the first round for more EXPENSIVE PLAYERS) keeping a Super Bowl winning team pretty intact, and not having to release a bunch of those players to bring in rookies who you have no idea if they will pan out or not. The FO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING !!!!! You NAYSAYERS have no CLUE.

ZOMFG dood, weer gunna SUCK!!!! wee got teh wurst ofensiv lyne in histery! jest remeber, i callled it wen ben gits hert!

tony hipchest
04-28-2009, 07:12 PM
ZOMFG dood, weer gunna SUCK!!!! wee got teh wurst ofensiv lyne in histery! jest remeber, i callled it wen ben gits hert!was one of his repeat b & m threads merged or erased?

tony hipchest
04-28-2009, 07:15 PM
With all the shots at Willie in this thread...

Freud would probably deduce that you are actually starting to like the kid and seriously trying to repress those feelings.

So free yourself.

Repeat after me. FREE WILLIE! FREE WILLIE! Let Willie Love run free!! :rofl:

*zips back up pants* :couch: