40 Yard Dash : 5.26 seconds
Bench Press : 33.0 reps
Vertical Jump : 31.0 inches
Broad Jump : 100.0 inches
3 Cone Drill : 7.46 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle : 4.4 seconds

Featured Prospects

Overview

The first center to serve as team captain since Barry Tielsch in 1996, Shipley had a banner senior campaign for the Nittany Lions. In addition to being named the recipient of the Rimington Trophy, given to college football's best center, he became the 92nd player in school history to be named a first-team All-American.

Shipley proved to be a tough competitor, anchoring a front wall that led the Big Ten Conference and ranked fourth in the nation for fewest quarterback sacks allowed (1.00 spg). That stellar protection allowed PSU to generate 243.08 passing yards per game, the third-best total in the league.

A respected team leader, Shipley is an intense and physical presence on the line. He is also one of the squad's most engaging personalities and played a jovial Santa Claus at the team's bowl game Christmas party during the 2005 and '06 seasons. An accomplished golfer, he graduated last December with a degree in Labor and Industrial Relations.

At Moon Area High School, Shipley was a standout defensive lineman in four seasons with the varsity. He was a member of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Fabulous 22, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Terrific 25, and the Harrisburg Patriot-News Platinum 33 squads and also played in the 2004 "Big 33" Classic. As a senior, he helped the squad reach the Western Pennsylvania District Class AAA semifinals after winning the Parkway Conference title.

Shipley recorded 53 tackles as a senior, including 13 for loss and three sacks, as he also forced two fumbles. He ended his career with 243 tackles, 41 for loss and 13 sacks. He also was a three-year starter in basketball and was a two-year captain of the football and basketball teams.

In 2004, Shipley competed on the Penn State scout team as a defensive tackle. The following year, he shuttled between the offensive and defensive lines. He moved to center in 2005 spring drills, providing depth there and at offensive guard the first half of the season. Prior to the Illinois game, he went back to defensive tackle, making five tackles with two sacks the remainder of the season, participating in 226 snaps for the 2005 campaign.

In 2006, Shipley secured a starting job at center, competing in 897 plays. He tallied 54 knockdowns with seven touchdown resulting blocks and also recorded a solo tackle vs. Northwestern. PSU's offense managed to average 349.92 yards per game, as the offensive line allowed only 23 sacks.

As a junior, Shipley was named to the All-Big Ten Conference first-team by the league's coaches and was a candidate for the Rimington Trophy. He registered 76 knockdowns that included nine touchdown-resulting blocks. He made ESPN's All-Bowl team, experiencing every lineman's dream, as he caught a deflected pass for a 4-yard gain vs. Texas A&M in the Alamo Bowl. Behind his block-calling, he helped the team rank third in the Big Ten Conference in rushing (193.77 ypg), as the Nittany Lions also amassed 5,201 yards in total offense.

In 2008, Penn State's offense was explosive, thanks to the stellar play of its senior-laden front wall. The Big Ten Conference's Offensive Lineman of the Year recorded 11 touchdown-resulting blocks to go with 78 knockdowns. The team finished as the league leader in pass efficiency (145.35 rating), total offense (448.92 ypg) and points scored (38.92 ppg).

High School

Attended Moon Area (Coraopolis, Pa.) High school, playing football for head coach Mark Capuano...Standout defensive lineman in four seasons with the varsity...Member of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Fabulous 22, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Terrific 25, and the Harrisburg Patriot-News Platinum 33 squads...Played in the 2004 "Big 33" Classic...As a senior, he helped the squad reach the Western Pennsylvania District Class AAA semifinals after winning the Parkway Conference title...Recorded 53 tackles as a senior, including 13 for loss and three sacks, as he also forced two fumbles...Ended his career with 243 tackles, 41 for loss and 13 sacks...Three-year starter in basketball and was a two-year captain of the football and basketball teams.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

rbryan
04-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Awsome...I can't believe he lasted this long.

steeltheone
04-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Nice pick....They have been looking at him all off season. I figured he was gone.

steelerdave1969
04-26-2009, 06:22 PM
I really think that the Steelers have done an awesome job in this draft helping our team getting depth and players that can make a difference here for our Steelers. I think Shipley is a steal in the 7th round for sure and I hope that he comes in gives the Steelers some major compittion at Center. Mel Kiper just said he could turn out to be a Poor Mans Mike Webster and you dont get much better than that..

Kaeg
04-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Well, I've heard the name for a long time, so it's not shocking that we were interested in him, but after reading this article it looks as if he should not have lasted this long. Quite a resume.

Da Steeler Soprano
04-26-2009, 06:29 PM
YES! I cant wait to see Shipley in the Black and Gold...I really think we got our next great center of the future!

stillers4me
04-26-2009, 06:34 PM
I'll bet his family in Moon Twp "over the moon"! Welcome home AQ. Make us proud!

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 06:37 PM
"A poor man's Mike Webster, Very strong, short armed, a battler." - Mel Kiper

The Definiti0n
04-26-2009, 06:37 PM
We add depth and some nastiness to our O-Line.

Fire Haley
04-26-2009, 06:38 PM
T-Rex!

Another big ugly - I love it

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/23/239173.jpg

Steel Mountain
04-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Thumper thinks this pick sucks. I would venture a guess that Thumper will find a new bandwagon team that had a better draft than we did. GOODBYE Thumper! Don`t let the screen door hitchya where the Good Lord splitcha!

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 06:42 PM
ESPN analysis

hipley displays excellent technique and plays with great leverage. However, he severely lacks overall measureables and is going to have problems handling bigger interior offensive linemen.

CPanther95
04-26-2009, 07:11 PM
However, he severely lacks overall measureables and is going to have problems handling bigger interior offensive linemen.

Fortunately, not one team we play this season has a big interior offensive lineman in the center of their defensive line. :laughing:

Steely McSmash
04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
he looks like a steeler..something that alex mack and eric wood don't look like

?huh?

GBMelBlount
04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
T-Rex!

Another big ugly - I love it

Speaking of T-Rex, this was in walterfootball.com

2/22/09: Ridiculously short arms could cost him, though he's very talented and will be taken in the middle rounds.

..."Ridiculously short arms".....:chuckle:

SunshineMan21
04-26-2009, 08:17 PM
I love this pick . . . nuff said.

Fire Haley
04-26-2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.biblelife.org/evolution-t-rex.jpg

Hammer67
04-26-2009, 08:49 PM
A.Q. Shipley (C)
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 304
College: Penn State
Conference: Big 10
Hometown: Coraopolis, PA
High School: Moon Area

Attended Moon Area (Coraopolis, Pa.) High school, playing football for head coach Mark Capuano...

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

Aside from the height and weight and the fact I didn't play (only attended) at PSU, that describes all the details of my football career!!!!! :tt03::tt03::tt03:

Psyychoward86
04-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Steelers loved him from the beginning when they invited him over. Huuuuuge steal. So........they call him T-rex? :screwy:

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 09:39 PM
From PFW seventh round impressions

Most seventh-rounders will not make rosters, but at the same time, some always develop into NFL starters. The two that stand out the most in this year's final round for having potential starting ability are centers Blake Schlueter of TCU, who could compete readily in Denver; and Penn State's A.Q. Shipley, who will look to follow in a long line of Hall of Fame-caliber centers in Pittsburgh, including another former Nittany Lion Jeff Hartings. Neither has great size, but they are both quick to the block point, understand angles and play very hard.

lilyoder6
04-26-2009, 09:47 PM
i'm loving this pick..

we could potentially have our center for the next decade be a 7th round selection

stillers4me
04-26-2009, 09:49 PM
The fact that he's a local guy should give him the extra incentive to live up to the high expectations of the Steelers.

KeiselPower99
04-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I figured he would have been long gone at this point but damn i think this could be a nice pickup for us.

Dylan
04-26-2009, 10:50 PM
this is my favorite pick..i couldnt be happier hope he impresses coaches and wins a starting job

Rek
04-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Looks promising, but idk if he's going to develop into a starting-caliber center. I'm not going to give up on him but I'll hold off my judgment until he progresses.

billybob
04-26-2009, 11:07 PM

you need to stop dude, i can't stop bustin up ...........that is the shit man. Guess he has a nickname already.. LOL

tyler289
04-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I love Eric Wood's hair. He looks like a 12-year old.

Avoid LLoyd1975
04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
I am actually happy with this draft now. Skeptical on some of the earlier picks. Shipley...I hope he works his tail off and makes the cut. I have never been more excited over a 7th rounder.

Southern Steelers
04-26-2009, 11:49 PM
I was cussing at the TV when we didn't take AQ in the 5th and 6th...couldn't believe he was still there in the 7th. This could be the steal of the draft. At least with the short arms he can hold and he won't get called.....

Fire Haley
04-27-2009, 12:15 AM
It was a pick designed to appease the yinzers. Tomlin throws the Penn State fans a bone.

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2009, 12:23 AM
i just don't get the excitement other than pure homerism. the odds of him even making the practice squad are pretty low.....there's a reason why he was passed over for 6 1/2 rds.....:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 01:24 AM
i just don't get the excitement other than pure homerism. the odds of him even making the practice squad are pretty low.....there's a reason why he was passed over for 6 1/2 rds.....:noidea:

Kind of like the past few years with the WVU fans pimping Quincy Wilson, Pat White and Owen Schmidt. I agree. Shipley has a chance at making the practice squad, when he is already behind Harwig, Stapleton, Legursky and they are talking about Urbik being able to play center too.

Fire Haley
04-27-2009, 02:15 AM
http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/images/200903/shipley1_330.jpg

kill kill kill

http://www.maj.com/gallery/long44/myspace/sontaran01.jpg

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2009, 02:36 AM
:rofl:

steelreserve
04-27-2009, 03:05 AM
Kind of like the past few years with the WVU fans pimping Quincy Wilson, Pat White and Owen Schmidt. I agree. Shipley has a chance at making the practice squad, when he is already behind Harwig, Stapleton, Legursky and they are talking about Urbik being able to play center too.

I'll bet you money we keep Shipley around through this year one way or another. If only because Hartwig and Stapleton are both in the last year of their contracts, and I bet one of them gets let go. It might be unrealistic to think he'll win the starting job, but we probably want to see if he can compete for the backup center job in 2010.

Speaking of which, it looks like Stapleton is going to have a shitload of competition at guard. He didn't exactly cement himself as the starter, and we've got Urbik, Essex and (if Hills is ready) maybe even Colon who could play guard -- and Kemo is pretty well anchored in place at the other guard spot. Seems to me like Stapleton's options for 2010 are center or nothing.

OneForTheToe
04-27-2009, 03:16 AM

IDK, I think Shipley could replace Stapleton on the depth chart at center. Still, I agree the Steelers have some big decisions to make

I could see the following starting:
Starks
Kemo
Hartwig
Urbik
Colon

Back-ups:
Essex
Hills
Stapleton

If the Steelers go with 10 linemen (and I think we only kept nine last year), then Legusrsky. Cappizzi and Shipley battle for two positions. Legursky or Shipley could go on the ps, I believe. I think Cappizzi is out of eligability.

Galax Steeler
04-27-2009, 05:06 AM
I hope shipley moldes into our center for a long time if he can make it that far which I am hopeing he does.

Steelers Since '75
04-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Shipley = Kuhn II... sorry I couldn't resist. :toofunny:

BubbyBrister
04-27-2009, 09:44 AM

haha yeah.
if you have ever watched Eastbound & Down, he looks like the older brother.

SteelMember
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Steelers loved him from the beginning when they invited him over. Huuuuuge steal. So........they call him T-rex? :screwy:

On this board anyway. I like it! :thumbsup:

Here we go T-rex, Here we go!

"Grrrrr, I'll bite your knees off!" :sofunny:

http://www.tubapants.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/trex.jpg

polamalu82
04-27-2009, 11:45 AM

Yeah, Wood looks like that fat kid from Bad Santa.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i256/quarkygirl/santa.jpg

KeiselPower99
04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I think the C job goes to 1 of 2 guys next year. Shipley and Legursky. I will not give up on Doug until he is gone.

Burghfan58
04-27-2009, 01:11 PM
A.Q. (BATTLESHIP) Shipley is on board. I like his temprament. :banging::tt03::banging::tt03::banging:

Fire Haley
04-27-2009, 01:13 PM
:

Here we go T-rex, Here we go!

copycat

Did you even read pg 1?

Hammer67
04-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Don't forget...Shipley won the Rimington as best NCAA center and was Big Ten O linemen of the year...

Every team in the league thought James Harrison was too short and dumb to ever play in the NFL as well...I wouldn't put too much stock in the short arms thing. Technique can overcome a lot.

SteelMember
04-27-2009, 01:51 PM
copycat

Did you even read pg 1?

Yes....Did you read mine before you edited it?

I practically gave YOU credit.

:buttkick: :chuckle:

billybob
04-27-2009, 02:00 PM

No offense , but i like this original better , i am still bustin up laughin ! ! ! ! ! !

billybob
04-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I just can't stop laughin at that , you guys , all of you , go to your rooms now , you heard me , NOW ! ! ! And don't come out until you think you can behave . Like my father use to tell all of my 6 brothers and sisters , i'll bust all your asses , i'll get the right one . (LOL) ! ! ! ! !
Long live T - REX

Fire Haley
04-27-2009, 02:22 PM
I practically gave YOU credit.

I would have approved that

The_WARDen
04-27-2009, 02:28 PM
ugh...not that excited over a 7th round draft pick...usually, there's a reason their 7th rounders.

:noidea:

billybob
04-27-2009, 02:29 PM

Man , i love it !

billybob
04-27-2009, 02:38 PM
In between all the laughing , you should realize that the T - Rex was supposed to be a pretty formidable preditor . That is what i have heard , and , believe. Alright i will stop now .

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Don't forget...Shipley won the Rimington as best NCAA center .
Dont forget.......these guys won it too.

2007 Jonathan Luigs Arkansas
2006 Dan Mozes West Virginia
2005 Greg Eslinger Minnesota
2004 David Baas Michigan
2004 Ben Wilkerson LSU
2003 Jake Grove Virginia Tech
2002 Brett Romberg University of Miami
2001 LeCharles Bentley Ohio State
2000 Dominic Raiola Nebraska

http://rimingtontrophy.com/history/trophy/

College awards are great for college, but dont really mean much in the NFL. Ask Danny Weurffel, Eric Crouch, Jason White, Gino Toretta and Matt Leinart.

The_WARDen
04-27-2009, 03:10 PM

2004 David Baas Michigan
2004 Ben Wilkerson LSU

College awards are great for college, but dont really mean much in the NFL. Ask Danny Weurffel, Eric Crouch, Jason White, Gino Toretta and Matt Leinart.

but none of THEM went to Penn State...

billybob
04-27-2009, 03:18 PM

2004 David Baas Michigan
2004 Ben Wilkerson LSU

I hear you man , but you can't exactly claim him as a bust now can you ?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 03:53 PM
but none of THEM went to Penn State... :rofl:

or are from Moon.

GBMelBlount
04-27-2009, 04:04 PM
In between all the laughing , you should realize that the T - Rex was supposed to be a pretty formidable preditor . That is what i have heard , and , believe. Alright i will stop now .

..and nasty. Imagine an all out T-Rex style slap fight to the death between Colon & Shipley! :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 04:06 PM
I hear you man , but you can't exactly claim him as a bust now can you ?

No, but if people want to throw around that Shipley is a steal just because he won the Rimmington, they should be aware of what that actually means.

2005 winner, Greg Eslinger was drafted in the 6th round by Denver because he is an undersized zone blocking center.

2006 winner Dan Mozes, went undrafted and was an UDFA by the Vikings.

I am willing to bet that neither the Bronco fans, nor the Viking fans were dillusional enough back then to suddenly think they got the best center in the draft just because of a collegiate award. Furthermore, I bet they were not anointing either of them as the next Tom Nalen, Matt Birk or Mike Webster.

But, I guess Eslinger wasnt from Boulder CO and Mozes wasn't from Minnetonka, MN. :rolleyes:

billybob
04-27-2009, 04:17 PM
No, but if people want to throw around that Shipley is a steal just because he won the Rimmington, they should be aware of what that actually means.

2005 winner, Greg Eslinger was drafted in the 6th round by Denver because he is an undersized zone blocking center.

2006 winner Dan Mozes, went undrafted and was an UDFA by the Vikings.

I am willing to bet that neither the Bronco fans, nor the Viking fans were dillusional enough back then to suddenly think they got the best center in the draft just because of a collegiate award. Furthermore, I bet they were not anointing either of them as the next Tom Nalen, Matt Birk or Mike Webster.

But, I guess Eslinger wasnt from Boulder CO and Mozes wasn't from Minnetonka, MN. :rolleyes:

To be honest with you , i don't think they even have plans, or intentions for him as a center . He has had experience in more than one position , which can equate to the multi - skill sets that Tomlin seems to thrive on . Maybe a blocking fullback or something who knows at this point. If he can move the pile that would work . I saw where he could play guard also . We'll see where it goes , if it goes at all.

Hammer67
04-27-2009, 08:58 PM
:rofl:

or are from Moon.

Easy now, ye knowing it all gods, I am simply saying that the guy can play and that he shouldn't be written off. There are a lot of huge names in the league who went undrafted or on the second day and alot of first round busts. This ain't an exact science. Plus, I saw him (in person) swallow the interior line in the Rose Bowl against the big, bad USC defense. A shining star on an otherwise pitiful day of football.

Frankly, the superiority complex issues I am sensing are a bit depressing on here, especially with a process (draft) that is far from a sure thing...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Easy now, ye knowing it all gods, I am simply saying that the guy can play and that he shouldn't be written off. ...
Nothing meant as an attack. I just know that you are a Moon grad like Shipley and support your fellow alum. I expect you to have his back, which is cool.

Objectively, I think Shipley fits best with a zone block team that plays a lot of 4-3 defenses(like Indy) because of his quickness and intelligence at cutting off LB's at the 2nd level. I dont think he is suited to be wrestling with 330lb nose tackles the majority of the season and therefore dont think he is best suited to the Steelers division.

I just dont like the Webster comparisons just because he is undersized. Frankly, its as relevant as Dennis Dixon being the next "Slash", or when Harold Miner used to be called "Baby Jordan". I wish some fans could just live in the present and let Shipley be his own man.

tony hipchest
04-28-2009, 12:11 AM
I just dont like the Webster comparisons just because he is undersized. Frankly, its as relevant as Dennis Dixon being the next "Slash", or when Harold Miner used to be called "Baby Jordan". I wish some fans could just live in the present and let Shipley be his own man.:chuckle: theres sill unlv rebel fans convinced he coulda been great. :dang: what a flop.

with that being said... we may be able to trade shipley for s. mahan back. :wink02:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

(oh, and as a lifelong penn st. fan, i like and support the shipley pick- dont mean it will amount to a 10 year starter though- im not opposed to an extension for hartwig (which is seemingly out of the question to anyone here).

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2009, 01:07 AM
:chuckle: theres sill unlv rebel fans convinced he coulda been great. :dang: what a flop.

with that being said... we may be able to trade shipley for s. mahan back. :wink02:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

(oh, and as a lifelong penn st. fan, i like and support the shipley pick- dont mean it will amount to a 10 year starter though- im not opposed to an extension for hartwig (which is seemingly out of the question to anyone here).

Wasnt Harold Miner a USC Trojan??? You may be thinking J.R.Rider.

OK..........when you put it that way, I like Shipley way better than Mahan. At least Shipley is strong and Mahan wasnt.

MasterOfPuppets
04-28-2009, 04:25 AM
all i'm sayin is, if shiply played for michigan...none of ya's would be praising the pick.....:he'd garner about as much conversation as the TE they picked..coffee:

Hammer67
04-28-2009, 07:12 AM
I just dont like the Webster comparisons just because he is undersized. Frankly, its as relevant as Dennis Dixon being the next "Slash", or when Harold Miner used to be called "Baby Jordan". I wish some fans could just live in the present and let Shipley be his own man.

I agree with this...I wouldn't compare him to Webster at all (except the fact that he knew the guy and they were both 2nd day picks...)

The Lakelander
04-28-2009, 09:27 AM

Bwah hah hah hah! :rofl::laughing::laughing::chuckle:

rbryan
04-28-2009, 09:48 AM
all i'm sayin is, if shiply played for michigan...none of ya's would be praising the pick.....:he'd garner about as much conversation as the TE they picked..coffee:

If Shipley played for Michigan...........I wouldn't have seen every game the kid played the last two years.

Do I like him more because he played at Penn State?.......of course. I would have taken him in the 4th rd, so I'm pretty excited that we got him in the 7th. In retrospect, maybe I wouldn't be quite as happy if we had taken him earlier.

You won't see me pimping every PS alum. He's special, you'll see. BTW, why does he have to be a prick.......lol

#1LambertFan
04-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Don't forget...Shipley won the Rimington as best NCAA center and was Big Ten O linemen of the year...

Every team in the league thought James Harrison was too short and dumb to ever play in the NFL as well...I wouldn't put too much stock in the short arms thing. Technique can overcome a lot.

In fact the short arms could help him. I read someone mentioning he won't get called for holding, although centers rarely do.

and only allowing one sack last years has to count for something!

Urbik will start by the 4th-5th game and Shipley should make it by the end of the year.

billybob
04-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Man , i love it !

One mor time for A.Q.

billybob
04-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Man , i love it !

Ladies and gentleman , A........Q..........Shipley ! Lets here it for A. Q . !!!!!!~!