PDA

View Full Version : Urbik and Shipley

55BaileyFan
04-26-2009, 06:40 PM
These are the guys Pittsburgh are known for...fans want the pretty picks but our front office will wait and pick up guys like this.

Urbik started all 16 games as a freshman at Wisconsin and can play both tackle and guard. He's got good size 6'5 328lbs he has powerful arms and good footwork.

Shipley is like a T-Rex. He has short arms but he can make you eat dirt when he hits you. Pittsburgh is looking for a long term center and at 6'1 304lbs he could very well offer that after the Hartwig era.

devilsdancefloor
04-26-2009, 07:15 PM
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::tt03: :tt03::tt03::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PeckerWood
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
I really like the two picks and the offensives these two players play on were good in the running game.

Steelers working on getting the running game back to the way the Steelers run the ball.

Hammer67
04-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Shipley...went to my high school and college....now a Steeler. I smell a jersey purchase!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2009, 08:51 PM
I hope Shipley can be a productive Steeler. Mike Mayock seemed to be his biggest fan......but even Mayock was surprised that the Steelers took Shipley. Mayock thought Shipley fit a zone block team much better.

I love the Urbik pick. After Mack and Wood, he is the interior lineman I most wanted the Steelers to select.

55BaileyFan
04-26-2009, 09:15 PM
The only thing that I will put out there for anyone who has heard the negatives about Shipley's arm length and size, just keep this in mind, Mike Webster was small too.

Shipley- 6'1 300lbs.
Webster- 6'1 255lbs.

They both had short "T-Rex" arms and there were questions about both of them. But they both played at schools that in their time there had storied running games Penn State and Wisconsin.

He will be a great Center. He won't start this year he will sit behind Hartwig for at least one year before taking over.

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2009, 09:27 PM
The only thing that I will put out there for anyone who has heard the negatives about Shipley's arm length and size, just keep this in mind, Mike Webster was small too.

Shipley- 6'1 300lbs.
Webster- 6'1 255lbs.

They both had short "T-Rex" arms and there were questions about both of them. But they both played at schools that in their time there had storied running games Penn State and Wisconsin.

He will be a great Center. He won't start this year he will sit behind Hartwig for at least one year before taking over.i can't believe your trying to make that comparison....:doh: .....how many 300+ lb linemen did webster face ? this ain't your dads nfl .....:laughing:

Psyychoward86
04-26-2009, 09:29 PM
What a cinderella story it would be if A.Q Shipley became our next great center for a decade. Then again, cinderella stories are nothing new in Pittsburgh :tt02:

billybob
04-26-2009, 09:34 PM
i can't believe your trying to make that comparison....:doh: .....how many 300+ lb linemen did webster face ? this ain't your dads nfl .....:laughing:

In all fairness even back then Webster was considered small for the nfl .It was more his build , and how close to the ground he was that made him a success. Defensive fronts were pretty big back then too . Course he had other lineman lining up also.

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2009, 10:05 PM
In all fairness even back then Webster was considered small for the nfl .It was more his build , and how close to the ground he was that made him a success. Defensive fronts were pretty big back then too . Course he had other lineman lining up also. again i ask...how many were over 300 lbs ? mean joe greene was 6-4 275 lbs.....thats hardly a big tackle by todays standards...or 6-3 260 lb ernie holmes......or 245 lb lc greenwood..could he play DE today in the nfl ? i doubt it.....were there many 6-7....6-8 guys in the nfl back then ? would 6-9, 271 lb ed jones be called too tall in todays nfl....or would he just be ed jones ?.....

billybob
04-26-2009, 10:27 PM
I can't answer all those questions without doing some research . I was only in my teens back then and i can't remember . I do remember looking up Mike Webster , and even back then he was considered too small to be an nfl center. That means that even in those days the defense was pretty substantial . Why else would they have considered him to small to play the position? We'll work on that question , cause i can't come up with an answer at this time. I'm too busy goofing off all around the board .(LOL).

Dylan
04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
i think these two guys could be our guard/center combo for the next decade

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2009, 10:47 PM
I can't answer all those questions without doing some research . I was only in my teens back then and i can't remember . I do remember looking up Mike Webster , and even back then he was considered too small to be an nfl center. That means that even in those days the defense was pretty substantial . Why else would they have considered him to small to play the position? We'll work on that question , cause i can't come up with an answer at this time. I'm too busy goofing off all around the board .(LOL).well i just gave you some sizes of some of the better Dlinemen in the game back when webster was drafted.....a 250 lb center in 1974 going against 270 lb Dlinemen is no different than a 305 lb center going against 330 lb Dlinemen.....:noidea:

SunshineMan21
04-27-2009, 12:11 AM
While I agree that Shipley's size is a concern, I love him as a seventh round pick--honestly I probably would have been happy with him in the fourth (although partially that might just be me wanting the Cinderella story to work out).

I am really happy with this draft. I don't know much about the CBs and WR, but I love Hood, Urbik, Summers and Shipley.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 01:35 AM
Urbik I love as a pick. Barring injury, he should be an NFL lineman for 10 year....hopefully with the Steelers.

Shipley, I think will be left to the practice squad and some zone block team like the Broncos, Colts, Texans, Bucs or Redskins will sign him off our PS. As I do for every Steeler, I hope he is a future hall of famer, but really doubt it.

SteelMember
04-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Urbik I love as a pick. Barring injury, he should be an NFL lineman for 10 year....hopefully with the Steelers.

I like the pick as well.

His biggest positive imo, besides his size, is that he was a 4-year starter on a team that ran the ball. :thumbsup:

Jamie Dukes broke down some film that I thought was very telling about his character. Showing practice tapes, Dukes said his feet weren't great and got beat a lot when he was in space and tended to hold. Dukes words were, "he's a lover. he likes to get in on his blocks." Alluding to hugging. Now when he is "in the elevator" he does a lot better, but still showed him getting beat.

Then they showed the game film...This guy competes!!! :thumbsup:

Steel Head
04-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I too love the Urbik pick and hope he will earn the starting spot at RG and be a mauler

AQ Shipley is a wait and see what he does in training camp. He will battle our other backup Center Legursky for a spot on the practice squad

revefsreleets
04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Urbik for sure will instantly upgrade our run blocking, but how is he in pass protection?

I'll tell you this much, Phil Steele had him as a first team All-American and nobody knows more about college football than Steele.

I looked up some stuff on him and found that in '06 he only gave up 1 sack. He's also almost always called "Blue Collar" in his description, which bodes well...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Urbik for sure will instantly upgrade our run blocking, but how is he in pass protection?

I'll tell you this much, Phil Steele had him as a first team All-American and nobody knows more about college football than Steele.

I looked up some stuff on him and found that in '06 he only gave up 1 sack. He's also almost always called "Blue Collar" in his description, which bodes well...

All true. Steele has him pegged. I watched him in Senior Bowl drills and his pass protection technique is solid, but again....he's not a dancing bear like some LT's. Ziggy Hood tried to spin on him and Urbik kept his hands on him and stoned him.

The fact that he played RT means he is decent enough in space to pass protect well. In another drill, I saw him get beat by a D lineman with a speed rush, but he stayed with the guy, took the angle to cutoff the rush to the QB tackling dummy and ,............wrestled the defender to the ground!!!

Urbik is experienced, big, nasty and technically solid. The only thing he isnt, is very agile like Faneca. Probably somewhere between Kemo and Kendall Simmons in agility pulling on traps.

baronvonheil
04-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Wow, I can't believe people on this message board are dissing Mike Webster! I've seen Webster beat 300 lb. guys. Webster was All-Pro in 1985. There were 300lb. DL in the league in 1985, heck Chicago had one over 350 .. Mr. Perry you might recall? Also think that you have your head up your ass is you don't think the guys from the 70s could play and dominate today. The size of lineman has to do mostly with what the league is looking for and the style of play. If you don't think Joe Greene could have played at 300lbs if he'd been asked too then.. well... you are clueless. Look at the man, he had the frame for it.

KeiselPower99
04-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Midseason starter at RG. URBIK!!!!!!!!!

Steel Head
04-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Midseason starter at RG. URBIK!!!!!!!!!

or even better, Game 1 starter!!!!!!

open competition, may the best man win

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Wow, I can't believe people on this message board are dissing Mike Webster! I've seen Webster beat 300 lb. guys. Webster was All-Pro in 1985. There were 300lb. DL in the league in 1985, heck Chicago had one over 350 .. Mr. Perry you might recall? .

Nobody is dissing Mike Webster. They are just saying you cant compare the NFL and its players from 25 years ago until now.

In 1985, William Perry was just a sideshow and played more RB than D line. The real interior starters on that dominant Chicago Bears defensive line were:

Steve McMichael- 6'2"- 270Lbs
Dan Hampton - 6'5" - 264Lbs

The Steelers division rival Cleveland Browns defeated the Steelers in week 2, 17-7 and their defensive line was anchored in the middle by :

Bob Golic- 6'2" 248Lbs
Carl Hairston - 6'3" 260Lbs

Those comparing Shipley to Webster are just reaching at straws to justify his greatness. If he pans out, I will love it. I am just not expecting anything more than him making the practice squad like I would with most 7th round picks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 03:19 PM
or even better, Game 1 starter!!!!!!

open competition, may the best man win I think that can happen. Just the playbook and terminology will be a major obstacle, but I think Urbik will instantly show that he is better than Stapleton.

55BaileyFan
04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
again i ask...how many were over 300 lbs ? mean joe greene was 6-4 275 lbs.....thats hardly a big tackle by todays standards...or 6-3 260 lb ernie holmes......or 245 lb lc greenwood..could he play DE today in the nfl ? i doubt it.....were there many 6-7....6-8 guys in the nfl back then ? would 6-9, 271 lb ed jones be called too tall in todays nfl....or would he just be ed jones ?.....

Before you criticize the comparison it's technique that's being compared the size was just thrown in and who cares what year it is. Any NFL coach will say that size doesn't matter if you have good technique. Look at Elvis Dumervil he's a 5'9 260lb defensive lineman average DL is 6'2 310lbs. He has good technique so he has 26 sacks in three years. Their size and play technique is whats being compared. They both played in a zone style scheme and went to a man slide blocking scheme in the pros.

55BaileyFan
04-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Wow, I can't believe people on this message board are dissing Mike Webster! I've seen Webster beat 300 lb. guys. Webster was All-Pro in 1985. There were 300lb. DL in the league in 1985, heck Chicago had one over 350 .. Mr. Perry you might recall? Also think that you have your head up your ass is you don't think the guys from the 70s could play and dominate today. The size of lineman has to do mostly with what the league is looking for and the style of play. If you don't think Joe Greene could have played at 300lbs if he'd been asked too then.. well... you are clueless. Look at the man, he had the frame for it.

Someone who knows what they are talking about....FINALLY. My point exactly Webster as an old worn lineman in the 80's was still destroying people. If people would check how many times did he cover two guys at once...that equals more than 300lbs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 11:42 PM
If people would check how many times did he cover two guys at once...that equals more than 300lbs.

Were you even old enough to stay up and watch Webster play MNF games in the '80's???? Just curious, because I was, and Webster didnt "cover two guys at once" ever. He didnt "cover" anybody because he was not a CB.

Webster blocked. He blocked very well, but I never remember seeing him block 2 guys at the same time. :doh:

SunshineMan21
04-28-2009, 03:15 AM
"Size doesn't matter if you have good technique" just isn't true, and I like Shipley as much as anybody.

Elvis Dumervil is a 4-3 pass-rushing DE, which is why it's acceptable for him to weigh what he does. In fact, he's around average weight for his position ("DL" isn't really a position, because every player on the line has a different role). He would be a disaster in a scheme like ours, which needs large, 3-4 ends, but he works well in a scheme where he can use his agility to rush the passer.

Nobody is dissing Mike Webster--the point is that "well he's Mike Webster's size" is a really bad argument to make about Shipley. We just drafted a 300 pound defensive lineman, and he's too small to play NT in our scheme.

The rest of our division has guys like Shaun Rogers, Kelly Gregg, and Domata Peko lining up at nose--they often weight up to 100 lbs. more than the interior linemen Webster dealt with. The game has changed--people's point isn't that Webster was bad (obviously, he was awesome), but that he played in an era when the players in general were smaller.

By comparison, Aaron Maybin, who is considered potentially too small to be a DE in the NFL, would have been big enough to be an interior lineman in Webster's era.

MasterOfPuppets
04-28-2009, 04:15 AM
Were you even old enough to stay up and watch Webster play MNF games in the '80's???? Just curious, because I was, and Webster didnt "cover two guys at once" ever. He didnt "cover" anybody because he was not a CB.

Webster blocked. He blocked very well, but I never remember seeing him block 2 guys at the same time. :doh:obviously they need to stop watching TAPES of the 70's steelers and work on thier reading comprehension.....:coffee:

Steeldude
04-29-2009, 01:53 AM
let's put it this way. if webster was a rookie in 2009 he would probabaly be around 300lbs.

there is a 30 year gap of medicine, training programs, supplements etc... between 1979 and 2009

triphahn
04-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Seems our coaches are giving the current OL a vote of confidence. We pretty much draft for the following year and I think Urbik starting this year would have to mean injuries. Unless he is forced to start we will let him learn the system. Look for Hills to start some games this year.

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Seems our coaches are giving the current OL a vote of confidence. We pretty much draft for the following year and I think Urbik starting this year would have to mean injuries. Unless he is forced to start we will let him learn the system. Look for Hills to start some games this year.

From the press releases and interviews that I've seen they think that Urbik can win the RG spot outright. I think it's very possible too.

ShutDown24
04-30-2009, 09:07 PM
If Urbik can win out at RG, I wouldn't mind seeing an open competition between Stapleton and Hartwig at C. I really like Stapleton. And hopefully within a year or two Shipley could get into that mix.

triphahn
04-30-2009, 09:19 PM
From the press releases and interviews that I've seen they think that Urbik can win the RG spot outright. I think it's very possible too.

More power to him. We are obviously going to put the best we got on the field but coaches have been talking cohesion which comes with time playing together.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 01:25 AM
If Urbik can win out at RG, I wouldn't mind seeing an open competition between Stapleton and Hartwig at C. I really like Stapleton. And hopefully within a year or two Shipley could get into that mix.

We could see that. But I am pretty sure that Stapleton would lose that competition just as Mahan did. Stapleton was getting stuffed in the hole by Teddy Bruschi in the Patriots game all day........how do you think he would fare against Jamaal Williams, Shaun Rogers, Ty Warren, Haloti Ngata??

Its why I think Legursky has a better shot at being the backup center than Stapleton. Plus, he can long snap, so that you would never see James Harrison snapping a punt again.