PDA

View Full Version : What is your grade for the Steelers 2009 draft?

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Ok folks, how would you grade this draft?

zsheik22
04-26-2009, 07:35 PM
They drafted the right positions, just need to see how they pan out! Pretty exciting stuff.

I went with a B.

Dynasty
04-26-2009, 07:43 PM
we did well overall, but a few minor reaches bring it down a bit. but the FO got the guys they wanted. B in my opinion

Steelerfreak58
04-26-2009, 07:47 PM
B.

The FO and scouts always seem to find good players way more often then busts. Have to see how they do in the next couple of years after some development.

Psyychoward86
04-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Call me biased, but i went with an A (yeah i think i shouldve went A-, B+ :flap:) mostly because i think the Steelers did a great job this year drafting great, and maybe hidden talent in the early, middle, and late rounds. Evander Hood looks to be a star, im glad he got to us. I thought our bevy of 3rd round picks were used very well to fit our needs, without sacrificing talent. The Frank Summers pick and A.Q Shipley pick made me go nuts! Frank being a fullback, im not that surprised was still there, but A.Q Shipley??? I held my breath when he wasnt drafted in the 6th.

billybob
04-26-2009, 07:54 PM
once they added shipley i had to go B+

GodofGridiron
04-26-2009, 07:56 PM
I scored em a B+

We really addressed strong needs on both lines. Urbik gets good movement/push on his man and hes versatile. Ziggy brings great strength and a quick motor for a 300-lb'er with a 4.8 40-yd time. He'll start 2010.

I dont expect the Ole Miss kid to bring too much the coming season but i do believe with the right tutoring he'll be another Nate with better handles. But im anxious to see that 4.3 speed demonstrated.

The DB from Oregon St is physical, and thats something we need and besides hes got Ike Taylor size (6'1).

This organization has a knack for doing the right things at the right time. They did a good job yesterday/today. No headscratchers IMO.

SteelCityMan786
04-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Between an A to a B. I like the selections on paper. Now once I have had a chance to see them on the field, then I'll be able to give a final grade.

SC Steeler Steve
04-26-2009, 08:00 PM
A...... I think we got quality players at a good spot in the draft. I am excited....

VegasStlrFan
04-26-2009, 08:10 PM
The more I review the picks, the more I like this draft. We plugged a lot of holes this weekend: deep threat speed, shortyardage, returner, OL help, physical DB, DL depth... If these guys perform, were gonna need a bigger Bandwagon!

Psyychoward86
04-26-2009, 08:13 PM
yeah i agree. you can never really tell until you see them perform. And one other thing...

WHO SAID C+??? Show yourself! Coward :pin:

SteelCityMan786
04-26-2009, 08:22 PM
The more I review the picks, the more I like this draft. We plugged a lot of holes this weekend: deep threat speed, shortyardage, returner, OL help, physical DB, DL depth... If these guys perform, were gonna need a bigger Bandwagon!

Probably the size of 32+ Heinz Fields.

55BaileyFan
04-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Drafted a lot of the right positions but a lot at the wrong times. I think Darius Butler CB Uconn would have been a better 1st round pick. There were a lot of good DL in the later rounds. There in my opinion were a lot better RB when we took Summers...Ian Johnson of Boise State for one. I think there was better options for our last pick like Cadogan OT Penn State.

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Well I gave it a B+ since we addressed our needs with out taking any obvious reaches.

SteelTalons
04-26-2009, 08:31 PM
B+ Job... Really effective draft overall... Not quite A... I dont see a lot of use for a couple of the guys. But I think the rest will serve us really well! So we definitely made a lot of ground this weekend.

stillers4me
04-26-2009, 08:46 PM
I'll let you know in a couple of years.

pepsyman1
04-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Once they added Shipley, I had to go B+. They made efforts toward all their needs. You really can't ask much more than that.

Psyychoward86
04-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Once they added Shipley, I had to go B+. They made efforts toward all their needs. You really can't ask much more than that.

Heck, they didnt just pickup a need, that kid was a STEAL!

KeiselPower99
04-26-2009, 08:53 PM
B+ Definitley better then Cowhers draft after we won the last Super Bowl. alot of needs adressed here.

madtowndrunkard
04-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I think their draft strategy was a little different this year then in years past. IMO it looked like they just went after certain positions rather then the best player on the board. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing considering our roster. There are not many spots open on this roster. So why waist picks at position you know have no chance of making the team. I like our draft I think once again we've got a solid B.

I think if our first two picks turn into starters it will be a total success....if 2 or 3 of those third round picks turn into good players this draft could be special. time will tell.

Psyychoward86
04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Whoever rated the draft a C+. I KNOW WHERE YOU SLEEP.

madtowndrunkard
04-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I would like to add I think this draft has the potential to be a total flop as well. DT's tend to be busts more then any other position (other then QB) 3rd round picks rarely turn into good starters. So it really wouldn't be that big of a shock this draft didn't yield one good player for us.

I personally think Hood is going to be solid DT and a starter.

nightwingxp
04-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey Steelers Nation. New here so this is my first post. I was overall happy with the draft. I give it a B. I will be anxioius to see how these players turn out! Can't wait for the season to start. Gonna be a LONG SUMMER OF WAITING!! SO STEELERS !!:tt02:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-26-2009, 09:34 PM
i graded this draft a B...

but i also believe this class has the potential to become something special. if these guys develop we may look back at this draft as a pivotal one. a couple of interior offensive linemen and a tough DL in round one.

i think the best part of this draft is that it doesn't appear that they reached at any of these picks (unlike in the past with the punter pick or spaeth, to name a couple). i'm really pulling for shipley - he could potentially be the best pick of the bunch...something tells me this kid is going to make a name for himself and become one of those special centers this franchise has had in a long line of good ones...

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2009, 09:35 PM
i had to go with a B....they didn't score anything big like they did last year with mendy and sweed sliding, so i don't see any great value in the picks...but i think they did ok....wallace may have been a slight reach.....but then again he may turn out to be great value....who knows...:noidea:

Stlrs4Life
04-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I went with a B+. Not bad.

Dylan
04-26-2009, 09:45 PM
i had this at a B but getting shipley where we did, i am giving us a B+

Rek
04-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I give them a B. They drafted #32nd and traded/drafted what they could with what was available.

mesaSteeler
04-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Hey Steelers Nation. New here so this is my first post. I was overall happy with the draft. I give it a B. I will be anxioius to see how these players turn out! Can't wait for the season to start. Gonna be a LONG SUMMER OF WAITING!! SO STEELERS !!:tt02:

Welcome to the board

Dr. Steel
04-26-2009, 10:28 PM
To early grade.

What I did like about the Steelers added two young DL which was needed for an aging group. They needed another WR and they did that. Plus the WR can also return kicks and that was a huge need. The Steelers needed some corner and depth. They drafted two and one corner can return kicks. Plus two OL were drafted to compete for spots. A team can never have enough RB's and one was drafted. A FB/TE that can serve as lead blocker was also drafted.

It was a boring and safe draft. Which more times then not produces results. We just have to wait and see.

OX1947
04-26-2009, 10:43 PM
For those who are worried, factor this a little. Our line has sucked for 2 years. Reading some of the stuff on here, if I didn't watch every game it would make me think our line has sucked for the last 5 years and that is bull. The Steelers line in 2005 was awesome.

The one thing that has been in common over the last 2 years is that the line has never come in and come out together during the last two years. Especially this season. The line had to have 3 replacements all in a 6 week period. And for those who know football well, you know when it comes to an offensive line, continuity is everything. It wasn't a coincidence in Jacksonville when they lost their 2 main cogs on the line, they're offense and team went to crap.

This year, the entire line is intact. If they stay healthy, they should do better. If not, max and colon are on one year contracts, Steelers can still dump them and go after a LT and RT in the first round next year.

sax
04-27-2009, 02:25 AM
A-
One/two years from now......we will see the real impact of this draft.
potential help in alot of positions.....love to see some late round picks
become starters.

It's a draft....some work out....some are a bust....some fit in perfectly!

Great Defense = More wins!!!!

later,
sax

Galax Steeler
04-27-2009, 03:40 AM
I gave them a B+ I thought they did good on both sides of the ball. We got some lineman a speedy receiver and a bus junior can't wait for the season.

19ward86
04-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I said B since they addressed every need, maybe not in the round we all would of liked but they were addressed.

xfl2001fan
04-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I gave you an F, because I liked what you did...and that's a bad thing for my Browns.

MDSteel15
04-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I voted B- just for the fact that I think we should have addressed the O-line more...

scsteeler
04-27-2009, 01:50 PM
I voted B+.

St33lersguy
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
As of roght this second it's an A. They got solid football players the Steelers need, I like the picks. they drafted where they needed depth and got some good football players.

St33lersguy
04-27-2009, 01:57 PM
I gave you an F, because I liked what you did...and that's a bad thing for my Browns.

So you're the lone guy who went with an F.

xfl2001fan
04-27-2009, 02:17 PM
So you're the lone guy who went with an F.

Yeah, but I was hoping that they wouldn't fail me and do a terrible job with the draft. Unfortunately, they did a good job...and I need them to do bad.

Steel Head
04-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah, but I was hoping that they wouldn't fail me and do a terrible job with the draft. Unfortunately, they did a good job...and I need them to do bad.

We could have passed on all our picks and still be a lot better than the Brownies

GBMelBlount
04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
C - satisfactory.

SteelMember
04-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Gonna have to say...B

Rek
04-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Jets kinda screwed the Browns IMO.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
I gave it a B.

Drafting 32nd was a tough spot to start. I thought, and apparently the talked about, they would trade up to grab someone for the Oline maybe into the early 20s, when that didn't pan out, going with DLine with the 32nd pick was a great move. We have a good Dline and this will give the kid Hood time to learn the Lebaugh System and get some playing time this year backing up the older Vets.

Trading out of the 2nd, I wasn't sure of, til I saw they had targets in the 3rd they were very interested in and they grabbed 3 guys in the 3rd round. Not bad.

Hit with a speedster at WR, got a Tall Corner who has played man coverage against Pac 10 Teams for his career, not bad, and got an Olineman from Wisconsin which breeds Olinemen that aren't flashy but tend to stay in the NFL for a long time. I like that.

After that, it falls off into practice squad and camp bodies as far as I'm concerned. We addressed the needs, nothing Super, No Troy P or Ben, or Holmes or Woodley, so I don't know that it can be any higher than B.

xfl2001fan
04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Jets kinda screwed the Browns IMO.

Yeah, they gave us two guys who have/can start in the NFL in a 3-4 defense for a QB that will likely fail...and gave us another draft pick to go with trading first rounders. We were totally royally done in. [/sarcasm]

Preacher
04-27-2009, 05:10 PM
I just got done watch vids of Ziggy.

If that kid can do it at the next level... WOW. What a steal at 32.

I also just finished watching a couple vids of Wallace. It'll take a while, but he will probably produce.

If Urbik can break in this year... Ziggy and Wallace over the next two years, I think this is a A+ draft considering where we drafted, the fact that we traded down,and STILL Picked up some good players.

However, that is a LOT of what ifs.

So right now, We have a couple kids with some good upside... and a couple that may help us this year. Again, at 32, with no one wanting to let us trade up, I gotta give them a B. Pretty good.

St33lersguy
04-27-2009, 05:31 PM

I understand jealous browns fan. I guess you want a browns victory over the Steelers in the worst way.

GBMelBlount
04-27-2009, 05:36 PM
I understand jealous browns fan. I guess you want a browns victory over the Steelers in the worst way.

Go easy on him brother. He's posting on a Steelers site so at least he's got half his senses.... :chuckle:

Rek
04-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah, they gave us two guys who have/can start in the NFL in a 3-4 defense for a QB that will likely fail...and gave us another draft pick to go with trading first rounders. We were totally royally done in. [/sarcasm]

Hey man, to each their own but I'd be willing to bet that with the new arrivals, the Browns fail to do better this year than last. Just my opinion.

Psyychoward86
04-27-2009, 06:36 PM
C's, and C+ critiquers. Care to share why?

GBMelBlount
04-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Sure. I thought we drafted "OK" based on our needs but had hoped for a little more to address o-line needs, that's all.

Rek
04-27-2009, 07:33 PM
C's, and C+ critiquers. Care to share why?

Personally, I dont see how anyone could give them below a B. Based on what was available when they were on the clock, they basically picked what was the best available for their needs. Aside from that, there are those who probably argue that they Steelers shouldn't have traded with Denver in the 2nd and/or should have traded with some other team,

Straight-up drafting, I think they did just fine.

Steely McSmash
04-27-2009, 09:33 PM
B+ from me. I'm almost tempted to go A- based on fiilling so many needs. They didn;t get a lot of help with some crazy draft sliders in the early rounds like last year.

Great job thru round 3 in my opinion. Love the trade.

I would have picked Cadogan or some other OT prospect in the 5th to raise the quality of competition in camp. The roster is overflowing with CB guys.

Sonny Harris is a great pick.

I like the idea of the Frank Summers but would have waited a round perhaps. No offence to his boosters.

Shipley wasn't at the top of the centers list but for the 7th round is a really good value.

The TE pick I would have rather seen been used on a Safety or a tackle. m Still TE could be improved with someone who can block better than Spaeth.

Based on the players they brought in this yearfor visits , I think Hills and or Capizzi must be doing pretty well. They only looked at Loadholt on a visit and they passed some good later round prospects.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Personally, I dont see how anyone could give them below a B. Based on what was available when they were on the clock, they basically picked what was the best available for their needs. Aside from that, there are those who probably argue that they Steelers shouldn't have traded with Denver in the 2nd and/or should have traded with some other team,

Straight-up drafting, I think they did just fine.

I agree. They did fine with what they had to work with.