PDA

View Full Version : steelers win cointoss vs. colts

tony hipchest
01-10-2006, 10:35 AM
who do you want to take the field first. offense or defense?
i say give the colts the ball. i definitely dont want to see the colts with the ball on the final drive of the 1st half and get it back again after the half.

the defense is the heart and soul of the steelers, so let them get out there and establish something. if the colts score, i really think it gives ben a little more focus on the task at hand. if the colts dont score the offense can go out a little relaxed with a tiny bit of confidence that the defense has its back. either way i think this is better than going out there on offense and not scoring the 1st drive. that can make the offense and defense start pressing just a little bit.

Livinginthe past
01-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Personally I think you always take the ball if you win the toss.

The best way Pittsburgh can quieten that Indy crowd is for a 5/6 min drive ending in 3 or 7 points - the Colts D is the teams weakness not the 'O'.

You have to have faith in your offense in the playoffs - Pittsburgh has enough tools to put points on that Colts D.

Im sure you could easily argue both sides of this argument though.

NM

83-Steelers-43
01-10-2006, 10:41 AM
If we win the toss. Take offense. Chew up as much clock as possible against the Colts. End the drive with a TD, quiet the crowd in that.......dome.......that teams play....football in. Just my preference.

Avoid Lloyd
01-10-2006, 10:52 AM

The best way Pittsburgh can quieten that Indy crowd is for a 5/6 min drive ending in 3 or 7 points - the Colts D is the teams weakness not the 'O'.

Well said.

tony hipchest
01-10-2006, 10:55 AM
like litp said there are argument for both sides, and im sure stats have been compiled. i think its really interresting how something as simple as a cointoss, which is really ballanced out by giving the other team the ball for the next half can be scrutinized and twisted to an actuall strategy.

this takes me back to the early 90's steelers and their last sb run. for 1, rod woodson was the captain and ALWAYS called tails- "tails never fails". now the steelers primarily always call heads. for home games that defense was the main attraction in pittsburgh, and they loved taking the field first, demoralizing the opponents offense, playing to get the ball in the final 2 minutes and going into the 2 minute drill which they ran real well, then getting the ball again right after the half. in indy there is no question that the offense is the main attraction and i think shutting them down on the 1st drive would do a little more to take the crowd out of it, especially if we then convert on our first drive.

Grey
01-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I think you gotta take offense first if given the chance. We absolutely MUST get some points on the board early. Like LivinInThePast said, a nice long clock burning drive to start things off could do a lot for the outcome of this game.

I really, really hope we can get the running game going.

Here we go.
Grey

workhorse
01-10-2006, 12:05 PM
I saw a stat the other day, I don't remember the exact numbers though, that said the Colts lead the league on scoring with their opening possession. If the Colts get up early it does two things. First, it makes the Steelers have to alter their gameplan a bit. Second, it allows the Colts' defense to pin their ears back. Freeney, Mathis and the boys are much more dangerous when they play pass first.

SteelerFanInCA
01-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I'd say let's go with the offense first. Last time around we didn't really score that many points. You gotta believe our offense is eager to show we can score and put up points on a team like the Colts.

Ambridge
01-10-2006, 12:54 PM
I think you gotta take offense first if given the chance. We absolutely MUST get some points on the board early. Like LivinInThePast said, a nice long clock burning drive to start things off could do a lot for the outcome of this game.

I really, really hope we can get the running game going.

Here we go.
Grey

The other side of that coin(no pun intended)is that the Steeler defense can't give up any cheap and or fast scores.
The Steelers lose in a quick shootout battle but they stand a good chance if they can make the Colts offense grind out their drives and maybe hold them a few times for nothing better than a FG.

Justin Otstott
01-10-2006, 12:59 PM
hard to say I mean I would let our D go first but against the Colts is kind of risky. Not sure.

Steel - X
01-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Take the ball chew up the clock, a lot of clock. Make them punt on there next possession and then chew up more clock. I do not want to see any trick plays this week. I want to see Jerome and Parker carrying the ball 20-25 times each. If thats the case we win.

Troy is the key to this game. Mark my words. If he makes plays they win if he miss's his blitz Manning will find someone in single coverage deep.

TAKE THE BALL AND THE CLOCK AWAY

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-10-2006, 01:49 PM
I think the steelers sould choose to kick first and try an onsides kick.......HAHAHA

or we should just receive and start running the clock down from the first snap.
QUIET THAT STADIUM DOWN A BIT.

tony hipchest
01-10-2006, 02:00 PM
that stadium is gonna blow the roof off as soon as the indy offense hits the field, regardless of what the steelers do on their 1st offensive possession. i bet an onsides kick would catch them off guard though! if only we could recover it.

Grey
01-10-2006, 02:16 PM
I think the steelers sould choose to kick first and try an onsides kick.......HAHAHA

or we should just receive and start running the clock down from the first snap.
QUIET THAT STADIUM DOWN A BIT.

Ouch, that brings back bad memories. Game was over after that.

Here we go.
Grey

BB2W
01-10-2006, 02:43 PM
After the first play last time we were in Indy... I want the ball.

augustashark
01-10-2006, 03:56 PM
When your underdogs and playing on the road in the playoffs you kick the ball to start the game. Reason is if your down going into halftime then you will have the ball 1st for second half. Try to score on 1st drive and make up the diff whatever it may be. Also if you are up going into halftime(hopefully) then how demoralizing would it be for them if we went down to score to put them in a bigger hole.

Always take the ball for the 2nd half!!

RoethlisBURGHer
01-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Take the ball,no question about it.Take the ball,eat up a lot of clock,score,and make Indy play from behind.That is when they are at thier worst.

Brady12
01-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Take the offense. Like many have said, if you can drive, ona good lengthy drive, and score, it really helps in calming the crowd.

geran42o
01-10-2006, 05:16 PM

You have to have faith in your offense in the playoffs - Pittsburgh has enough tools to put points on that Colts D.

Im sure you could easily argue both sides of this argument though.

NM

I can't believe that I'm agreeing with a pats fan.:banging: But I have to say that he has a firm grasp of the subject

Go Steelers!!!!!!:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

augustashark
01-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Take the offense. Like many have said, if you can drive, ona good lengthy drive, and score, it really helps in calming the crowd.

And if your 3 and out? Thats my fear! D's come around alot quicker then the O after long layoffs.

You take the ball and go 3 and out, punt and they go down and score. Very few things would be worse than that.

At least knowing you will get the ball 1st to start second half will give us some comfort if we do fall behind. Look how it worked at Cincy....

Take the ball in the 2nd half!

tony hipchest
01-10-2006, 05:31 PM
And if your 3 and out? Thats my fear! D's come around alot quicker then the O after long layoffs.

You take the ball and go 3 and out, punt and they go down and score. Very few things would be worse than that.

At least knowing you will get the ball 1st to start second half will give us some comfort if we do fall behind. Look how it worked at Cincy....

Take the ball in the 2nd half!

last thing i wanna do is give the best offense in the league an advantage at home without even committing a turnover. i think them having the ball at the end of the half (something they can controll with the clock and timeouts) and then getting it again right after half, could be an advantage to them. id like to see payton manning off the field for about a full hour of real time and i think that could really throw him off and get him cold. the steelers defense can easilly cause a turn over or a 3 and out with the colts 1st possession and then we get the ball and drive down for the score as if we won the coinflip.

putting together a long drive at the end of the half, then the 20 minute halftime, plus a long drive to begin the 2nd half could easilly see manning and co. off the field for about 45 min to an hour. this is a huge advantage for the steelers.

augustashark
01-10-2006, 05:43 PM
:iagree:

:cheers:

Prosdo
01-10-2006, 06:04 PM

I agree with this completely. Take the ball and eat up clock. Take the crowd out of it early.

Rotorhead
01-10-2006, 07:26 PM
This is a tuff one, taking the ball and starting with a TD drive is better for us cause we won't fall behind as easily, but knowing we can possibly get the last 1st half drive and the 1st second half drive is a HUGE benefit if we can score on both those drives. Hmm, it would be an easy decision if I know which Def was going to start the game, the dominating one that I like, or the lay the egg one I dislike . . . I think we kick-off, cause their starters have effectively been sitting for 3 weeks and will have a bit of rust to shake off, I think our Def can hold that first drive. Then we just drive down for a score on our first possesion.

DIESELMAN
01-10-2006, 08:20 PM
who do you want to take the field first. offense or defense?
i say give the colts the ball. i definitely dont want to see the colts with the ball on the final drive of the 1st half and get it back again after the half.

the defense is the heart and soul of the steelers, so let them get out there and establish something. if the colts score, i really think it gives ben a little more focus on the task at hand. if the colts dont score the offense can go out a little relaxed with a tiny bit of confidence that the defense has its back. either way i think this is better than going out there on offense and not scoring the 1st drive. that can make the offense and defense start pressing just a little bit.

Its a toss up either way you go...........get it on D first they've got to get pressure on Manning he does get a little rattled when you come at him.......get on offense they've got to establish a smashmouth running game and not get away from it when at first it doesn't work(like so many times in the past)....play actions and try and confuse the hell out of the colts D and keep them on their heels,they look for a right here comes the left.They do have a lot of weapons BUT so do the Steelers.....It won't be the same as that Monday Night game,in the second half they put it on Manning and he DID get rattled.....Its going to be a good game.......

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2006, 12:46 AM
The steelers always call tails on the coin toss so lets hope it's tails so we can get our offense out there asap and try to quiet that crowd by marching down the field and scoring some points.

workhorse
01-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Take the ball,no question about it.Take the ball,eat up a lot of clock,score,and make Indy play from behind.That is when they are at thier worst.

At their worst? I hope you mean that by default. That you are saying that the Colts are very, very good when playing with a lead and they are just very good when playing from behind.

Rotorhead
01-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Well . . . technically if you are "very very good" at playing with a lead and just "very good" at playing from behind . . . you are at your worst playing from behind . . . it is simple logic really.

MichiSteeler
01-11-2006, 03:49 PM
If we win the toss. Take offense. Chew up as much clock as possible against the Colts. End the drive with a TD, quiet the crowd in that.......dome.......that teams play....football in. Just my preference.
Totally agree. Grass is the only place they play REAL football.:cool: