PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich has to be kicking him self.

madtowndrunkard
04-26-2009, 11:36 PM
He decides to sign w/ Tampa over the SB Champs thinking he'll have the best shot at starting and he got more $.

Well he might start for about half a season. Tampa traded up to take a QB in the first round. Once Tampa is clearly out of the playoff race I would think Leftwich will be holding a clipboard for a rookie.

Assuming Leftwich does win the starting job at the start of the season he'll have no one to throw to. So he's really in a no-win situation IMO.

If Leftwich's agent had a brain he would have signed w/ the Steelers. With how poor our O-line is in pass blocking and Ben's tendency to hold the ball forever Byron would have opportunities in Pittsburgh. it's very unlikely Ben will survive another season w/ out any serious injuries. I think Leftwich was just as likely to be starting in Pittsburgh at some point...and most importantly he'll be missing out on another SB ring. :wink:

Byron really got some bad advice. You know some team will be looking for a QB by September.....or at the very least he could have been playing for us. Instead he's in Tampa keeping a seat warm for a rookie on a really bad team. wow

The Duke
04-27-2009, 12:11 AM
I heard coach Morris said the signing of byron was a smokescreen to let teams believe they weren't after a qb

they didn't fool me, and I bet they didn't fool any GM with half a brain. the bucs obviously needed one with all the trash they have at the position on their roster. but were that many teams after freeman anyway? maybe the vikes, but they are as stupid as the bucs when it comes to qbs

It's letwich's job to lose at this point. Teach the young guy and try to keep the job. next year that's freeman's team

my prediction- leftwich gets cut. don't know why, just a hunch

yes, he should be kicking himself

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Sorry, but I think Josh Freeman is in the same mold as Byron Leftwich and Michael Bishop. Big guys, cannon arms, not that mobile and have questionable decision making skills.

Raheem Morris is gonna learn not to gamble with his first job by drafting a questionable QB in the 1st round, when he could have gotten a sure thing like Peria Jerry, Robert Ayers or Michael Oher.

OX1947
04-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Sorry, but I think Josh Freeman is in the same mold as Byron Leftwich and Michael Bishop. Big guys, cannon arms, not that mobile and have questionable decision making skills.

Raheem Morris is gonna learn not to gamble with his first job by drafting a questionable QB in the 1st round, when he could have gotten a sure thing like Peria Jerry, Robert Ayers or Michael Oher.

Yup, Freeman has Jason Campbell written all over him. Either way, Leftwich has a better chance of playing there then in Pittsburgh.

Hines0wnz
04-27-2009, 12:32 AM
I wouldnt be upset holding a clipboard and making a few million $$.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 12:47 AM

Plus, I think Leftwich should have anough time in to get his NFL pension. Good gig if you are lazy, but lousy if a competitor.

steeltheone
04-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Ok guys, he has a chance to start.... Not happening in the Burg...Go Byron

Galax Steeler
04-27-2009, 04:10 AM

I wouldn't mind having that job either.

Hines0wnz
04-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Plus, I think Leftwich should have anough time in to get his NFL pension. Good gig if you are lazy, but lousy if a competitor.

Anyone still remember Bernie Kosar's last couple years in the NFL?

"Ouch. That looked like it hurt Troy."

"Hey Troy, how's that concussion?"

"Don't worry Troy, the receiver ran the wrong route. Its not your fault." :chuckle:

SCSTILLER
04-27-2009, 01:44 PM

Me either: but if the starter did get hurt and I was in there I would be behind the ref going "blow the whistle, blow the whistle!" like in Necessary Roughness.

I too think Lefty made a poor decision leaving Pitt for TB. He should have known that with TB's rotating doors when it comes to QB's that he was temporary. Oh well, I wish him the best of luck and thanx for the game against Washington!

Steel Head
04-27-2009, 01:45 PM
he signed w Tampa for a chance to start and prove himself. he is still the best QB they have

cant blame the guy at all

trauben
04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
And when it comes to money at the sure-fire end of a career? He did right by his family going for the green stuff and gamble for starting QB. He has a SB ring now compliments of the Steelers, another one would've been nice but it's no guarantee when you're looking out of his eyeball sockets.

steelreserve
04-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Meh. Starting for half a season is better than he could've done here, and he's getting paid a lot more too. So as far as I can tell, it still works out for him.

I still can't comprehend why the Broncos did not go all-out to get him, though. They cannot possibly believe Kyle Orton is the answer at QB.

55BaileyFan
04-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Freeman won't start right away. He won't start right away. Leftwich will start at least the first year then he will be a backup. His choices were he would be benched in Pittsburgh or get the chance to start at least one year in Tampa. What would you choose?

CPanther95
04-27-2009, 04:26 PM

Josh Freeman doesn't run like Herman Munster.

LVSteelersfan
04-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Sorry to see Lefty go. Batch is done. The Steelers offered Lefty a joke of a contract. I don't blame him. Maybe Dixon will be ready to step into backup QB because I am NOT comfortable with an aging Batch as a backup.

HometownGal
04-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Sorry to see Lefty go. Batch is done. The Steelers offered Lefty a joke of a contract. I don't blame him. Maybe Dixon will be ready to step into backup QB because I am NOT comfortable with an aging Batch as a backup.

I wasn't comfortable with a younger Batch as a backup.

As for Lefty - he did what he felt was right at that point in time and I continue to wish him success, though I agree - he may be holding a clipboard on the sidelines before their season is over. Y'know what they say about hindsight. . . .

The Lakelander
04-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Who cares! He's gone now. NEXT!!!!!

Crow-Magnon
04-28-2009, 09:01 AM
I was never comfortable when Ben would leave the game and Leftwich would come in, like you would be with most second-stringers. I thought Byron was a pretty good QB. I can't fault him for wanting to start again, which wasn't going to happen in Heinz Field unless Ben had another run-in with a car and no helmet.

fansince'76
04-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Who cares! He's gone now. NEXT!!!!!

Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

WeegiesWarriors
04-29-2009, 05:51 AM
I agree about Freeman. Watched him in college and he made extremely questionable decisions with the ball. Plus he'd just run if the first guy wasn't open. He has first round measurables, but has total bust written all over him. Welcome to the Not For Long Raheem Morris.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-29-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't see Freeman starting at all his rookie season unless the Buccaneers are far out of a playoff spot.

I expect the Buccs to be in contention most of the season. The Panthers will win the division, but the Buccs should contend for the division and the wild card.

So unless Lefty (who should win the job) totally sucks, or the defense completely collapses...the Buccs shouldn't be so bad Freeman starts.

revefsreleets
04-29-2009, 10:45 AM
If they start Freeman they will end up with Akili Smith II.

He is in no way shape or form an NFL ready QB. Lefty will get a ton of PT this year...

Hines86Ward
04-29-2009, 11:22 PM
When Leftwich signed with Tampa, he got no signing bonus. So I'm assuming that they'll cut him in camp.

stillers4me
04-30-2009, 07:34 AM
When Leftwich signed with Tampa, he got no signing bonus. So I'm assuming that they'll cut him in camp.

Bingo. And I assuming he'll end up back in Pittsburgh. :wink02:

HometownGal
04-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Bingo. And I assuming he'll end up back in Pittsburgh. :wink02:

I'm praying you're right. :hope: :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
04-30-2009, 09:37 AM
If Leftwich can't make the Tampa team with THAT lineup of QB's, then we are just going to cut him too...and rightly so.

His competition is journeyman Brian Griese, Luke McClown, some kid named Josh Johnson and project Josh Freeman.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2009, 11:54 AM
If Leftwich can't make the Tampa team with THAT lineup of QB's, then we are just going to cut him too...and rightly so.

His competition is journeyman Brian Griese, Luke McClown, some kid named Josh Johnson and project Josh Freeman.

That is what I dont get. Josh Johnson should have been their QB of the future. Morris should have gone and got his impact defensive player instead of the 2nd coming of Michael Bishop.

Leftwich got his ring and now should get a paycheck and chance to start in Tampa for 2 seasons.

thumper
04-30-2009, 12:14 PM
He's not kicking himself. He will still have a much better shot at playing than if he stayed in Pgh. And that kid they got is raw. It's unlikely he will even play this season. BL made the right choice