PDA

View Full Version : Ok Steeler Fans explain rd 3

steeltheone
04-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Explain Wallace? when we could have had 2 0r 3 other picks to help our team?

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2009, 01:35 AM
hmmmm...lets see here...:scratchchin: ...maybe....just maybe....tomlin and company think mike wallace can help the team...:tap:

OX1947
04-27-2009, 01:47 AM
Cant judge a draft for at least 3 years. This grade crap they do after is like saying a new born baby is going to be this or that. How the hell do we know.

ricksteelers55
04-27-2009, 02:07 AM
I think the Wallace pick will be great,that is my point of view,I just think He will end up being better than Nate.

steelreserve
04-27-2009, 02:10 AM

Ward is going to retire or drop off in skill soon, Holmes might demand a huge diva contract in a couple years, nobody knows whether Sweed will be great or whether he'll turn out to suck, and we're basically getting our fourth receiver out of the garbage can. WR isn't a huge immediate need for next season, but we'll need at least one guy to step in over the next 2-3 years. Definitely worth taking a chance on with a third-round pick. It's called thinking ahead.

Aussie_steeler
04-27-2009, 04:12 AM
Nate Washington was a speed guy who could get separation downfield.

I think this pick with Wallace replicates what Nate brought to the team plus some exceptional return skills.

He was not brought in to replace Hines. They are two totally different kinds of receivers IMO

steeltheone
04-27-2009, 04:32 AM
hmmmm...lets see here...:scratchchin: ...maybe....just maybe....tomlin and company think mike wallace can help the team...:tap:
Just maybe helping the team is what the draft is about.......Just trying to figure out a 3rd pick on a project wideout does for our future. Keep in mind our other needs.

Preacher
04-27-2009, 04:45 AM
Simple.

The Coaches saw needs.

The coaches filled needs.

Or the coaches saw BPA

Teh coaches drafted BPA.

Not sure about your point.

Steelers & I
04-27-2009, 05:07 AM
I won't question the pick but it's not like the original poster doesn't have the right to pose the question. Hell, who knows, he may be right. It's not like the Steelers are "always" dead on with their draft picks.

Let me see, hmmmm :tap:, lets see, hmmmmm. Jermaine Stephens, Troy Edwards, just to name a couple.

steeltheone
04-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Simple.

The Coaches saw needs.

The coaches filled needs.

Or the coaches saw BPA

Teh coaches drafted BPA.

Not sure about your point.

If you really think he was the best player available in round 3....I really have to question your football judgement. The coaches may see or know something i don't and i hope this is the case. Just not sure why, with Sweed, Nance and Baker waiting in the wings, we spent a 3 on a raw wideout.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2009, 07:31 AM
That type of pick, after trading the 2nd round, basically makes Wallace on Par with Sweed in Camp. This pushes Sweed to up his game knowing there is a fast hungry young guy right on his heels. This improves the speed overall of our passing game, and Wallace can return kicks as well. So this works two fold. Not only for this year, in camp to push Sweed, but to also ramp up our return game and get the slow plodding RBs off the KO Return and put some playmaking speed burners back there.

Having Holmes Returning Punts is very profitable but also very risky. This opens up the return game to at least some competition in camp this year.

Any other questions?

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2009, 07:34 AM
If you really think he was the best player available in round 3....I really have to question your football judgement. The coaches may see or know something i don't and i hope this is the case. Just not sure why, with Sweed, Nance and Baker waiting in the wings, we spent a 3 on a raw wideout.

In the 3rd round, you aren't going to get that Olineman that "changes the game" You can draft for Depth, but our roster is already 9 deep at Oline now. This move addresses the need for #3 or #4 Receiver on our Roster, depending on Sweed's improvement. Baker hasn't shown much at all yet, he appears to not have it from what we've seen in camp last year and in any spots where he gets to play. Nance, well, he's an unknown, so why not bring that speedy kid into camp and see what happens. It isn't like we are rebuilding our entire roster, we are filling holes and trying to improve for the future, not rebuild an entire team like the Browns and Lions are. We are just improving on the SB Winning Team we are bringing into camp.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Mike Wallace was clocked at 4.29 on his Pro Day. That's stupid fast, if he works out to make the team and contribute, that my friend is truly Finding Lightning in a Bottle.

scsteeler
04-27-2009, 08:24 AM
I remember questioning why the Steelers moved up to draft DANIEL SEPULVEDA. I now know why. My point is the Steeler organization understands what they need in order to be competitive and win football games and while I might question or wonder why they make the draft picks they do in the end they know much better than I do which is why I am not on anyone's team doing this full time.

madtowndrunkard
04-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Cant judge a draft for at least 3 years. This grade crap they do after is like saying a new born baby is going to be this or that. How the hell do we know.

Well actually..... Angela Jolie's daughter will be hot some day. So I'd say she would be a first round pick in the baby draft.

steeltheone
04-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I remember questioning why the Steelers moved up to draft DANIEL SEPULVEDA. I now know why. My point is the Steeler organization understands what they need in order to be competitive and win football games and while I might question or wonder why they make the draft picks they do in the end they know much better than I do which is why I am not on anyone's team doing this full time.

DS resume was without question. Unmatched production coming out of college that year. I was surprised, but could see why we drafted him in rd 3. Wallace is raw. And not real productive in college. I guess i can only hope it works out.

SteelRNation
04-27-2009, 09:05 AM
They grabbed Wallace for the kick returning and to fill in the void left by Nate Washington. When we failed to get Roscoe Parrish, they had to get it from the draft and they did.

steeltheone
04-27-2009, 09:17 AM
The void left by Nate is very small. He at best was an average wideout. I would have to believe they want him for returns. I hope it's not an indication that Sweeds a bust.

BlastFurnace
04-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Anyone panicking over anything that transpired yesterday is crazy. We have absolutely no idea how anyone's draft will turn out for atleast 2 years...especially on this team that is so deep.

BlastFurnace
04-27-2009, 09:22 AM
The void left by Nate is very small. He at best was an average wideout. I would have to believe they want him for returns. I hope it's not an indication that Sweeds a bust.

Nate wasn't great, but he was more valuable to our offense than you are saying. It' won't be a very small void with him gone.

X-Terminator
04-27-2009, 09:26 AM

How can it be an indication that Sweed's a bust? He was a rookie who saw limited action last year. I do not understand this notion that a player must be a superstar right out of college, or he's a bust. At least give the kid a couple of years before you make that determination.

I don't mind the pick. There isn't a thing wrong with bringing in raw talent that has the chance to be developed. The Steelers have turned that into an art form over the years, Willie Parker and James Harrison being 2 prime examples.

Fire Haley
04-27-2009, 09:33 AM

Which picks?

You think we were going to find a starting OT in the 3rd rd of THIS draft?

bwahahahahah

We needed a KR - we got him That's one down.

It falls right into my "winning now is the only thing" approach.

This wasn't a draft to build our entire future on - it was to fill a few holes to help THIS team win another SB THIS YEAR.
Keep the SB Champs intact as much as possible and make another run.

Tomlin said so himself - make no mistake, we are about winning.

HometownGal
04-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Ward is going to retire or drop off in skill soon, Holmes might demand a huge diva contract in a couple years, nobody knows whether Sweed will be great or whether he'll turn out to suck, and we're basically getting our fourth receiver out of the garbage can. WR isn't a huge immediate need for next season, but we'll need at least one guy to step in over the next 2-3 years. Definitely worth taking a chance on with a third-round pick. It's called thinking ahead.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Couldn't have said it better myself. :hatsoff:

The_WARDen
04-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Round 3:

1. They took an Olineman in the 1st 3 rounds...finally! Great job there...as with most picks, check back in 2-3 years. I give them credit though for addressing that need.

2. They took a WR for depth and the return game. Both were a need as I was definitely getting tired of watching slow running backs return kickoffs. Being that Ward is still a very productive WR and Holmes appears to be coming into his prime, this was not a starter type need.

3. They added a corner for depth...with McFadden gone and Townsend another year older...this was not a bad pick either.

Time will tell if the players pan out, but I love the picks and the drafting for needs opposed to BPA.

:thumbsup:

revefsreleets
04-27-2009, 09:40 AM
We needed:
DL
OL
CB
WR

We got:
DL
OL
CB
WR

Makes sense to me...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Wallace may be the fastest WR on the Steelers now. He replaces Washington who was the steelers fastest WR and deep threat.

I could have seen a lot of other picks too, but this guy fills the void that Nate left and he could be the #4 WR......plus he is a good kickoff returner.

Here is a video of a nice TD in traffic in the Cotton Bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI10HFljUew

madtowndrunkard
04-27-2009, 10:19 AM
I think some people forget we were picking last in every round. The difference between the value of our 2nd round pick (which we traded) and our 3 third round picks is nothing.

I think in a couple years we will be saying Urbik was our best pick in this draft. He'll be a big improvement over Simmons and stapelton IMO. I think he'll be starting at RG this year. Our other picks will be helping out on special teams and providing depth.

Hood will hopefully not get much playing time this year at all. We need depth on the D-line but there is no way he's replacing Smith, Hampton, or Keisel unless something very bad happens. Maybe he's able to get some playing time when we are in the nickel and dime but I doubt that. He'll have a tough time replacing Hoke I don't see Hood as a replacement to Hampton so I sure hope we re sign Hampton soon. I'm not sure how long Keisel is under contract but he's very under rated. People forget how good he pressures the QB. I do believe he lead our entire defense in QB pressures last year. I don't think Hood will get a shot at starting for another 2 years.

WR and CB in most cases cannot contribute much in their rookie seasons. This draft was about depth for us.

madtowndrunkard
04-27-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm not at all saying this draft was a bad one for us but....... I think the FO in reality is pretty disappointed in how this draft played out. They clearly wanted a Mack or Wood in the first round. Neither was available so they took the highest guy on their board. In the 2nd they wanted Unger or Levitre and were unable to trade up. So they traded out of the 2nd and went with their plan B.

That IMO has to be some what disappointing to the FO and coaching staff. We still don't have a center (long term) and we are now looking at a training camp battle w/ Stapelton and Urbik. So we didn't get a sure thing starter out of our first two picks.

Mack, Wood, Unger, or Levitre would be starting on this team. Instead we are left w/ a good insurance policy on the D-line and a competitor for the starting RG spot. I live in Madison so I'm a bit biased about Urbik, I love the pick. I want to think he'll be our starting RG this year but it probably is a long shot.

I'm sure if we were able to nab one of these centers Hartwig would have probably been cut saving us some cap space. So in reality this draft did not go the way the FO had hoped. Every year the FO tried to get two major contributors out of the first two picks. Last year it was Mendenhall and Sweed....the year before it was Timmons and Woodley. This year it's Hood and Urbik. eh not quite as good as we've done in the past I'm afraid.

As for rounds 5-7 I'll be shocked if one of those guys makes this team.

revefsreleets
04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
I believe I read somewhere that the Steelers had Mack as like their 3rd C. I think they were much higher on Unger, and had Urbik a close second as interior OL.

Steel Head
04-27-2009, 10:40 AM
I believe I read somewhere that the Steelers had Mack as like their 3rd C. I think they were much higher on Unger, and had Urbik a close second as interior OL.

I think they were much higher on Wood than Mack or Unger. Wood is tougher and stronger

Who would have guessed he'd be gone at #32 :noidea:

SteelMember
04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Where's Nate Washington?

We needed a speed threat to stretch the field for all the underneath stuff.
Being a returner is just the gravy. We had the bread and butter, just no gravy. :chuckle:

Steelerroy
04-27-2009, 10:55 AM
The Steelers tried to trade up higher in the second round to grab Unger or Levitre.They couldn't get a deal done so they traded down.They still got two pretty good O-linemen.Urbik will probably be the starter this year and Shipley is way underrated,he'll eventually be the starter and will be loved because of his attitude.

Wallce wasn't a big name WR but he ran the second fastest time at the combine.That's what we needed at WR.Nance and Baker run a 4.6 on a good day with the wind at their back.Nance is a practice squad guy and Baker is about the same.Wallace gives them a MAJOR deep threat that will open up the underneath.Even having him as a 4th WR makes our offense that much harder to defend.YOU CAN'T TEACH SPEED! He also is a good return man and that was one of our biggest needs last year.How much better will our offense be when they don't have to start inside the 20 everytime??!

Wood,Burnett,Summers and Shipley were all on there wish list and they got them all.How can you complain about this draft?? Wait a few years before you do.

KeiselPower99
04-27-2009, 11:39 AM

You cant be serious can ya? I mean football people knowing what they like and need. Hell I thought every Madden gamer could be a NFL GM or Coach. Its not like we needed a WR or anything.:chuckle:

steelreserve
04-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Well actually..... Angela Jolie's daughter will be hot some day. So I'd say she would be a first round pick in the baby draft.

That ... is just disturbing.

Also, to address it in a way that gets back to the original point without being disgusting, any kid could grow up to be a tranny, or get really fat, or turn out to be retarded. So the original point still holds true.

Hines0wnz
04-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Nate Washington was a speed guy who could get separation downfield.

I think this pick with Wallace replicates what Nate brought to the team plus some exceptional return skills.

He was not brought in to replace Hines. They are two totally different kinds of receivers IMO

There will never be another receiver like Hines. Just like there will never be another Jerry Rice. Those are special players that come along once every 15-20 years. To think that Hines can replaced is silly because he is the heart and soul of this team which is something that cannot be replaced, only replicated. :tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2009, 01:46 PM
I personally liked the round three picks. Not flashy picks but I think if we can step back and judge those three players on what role they can fill for our team then I think they are solid.

I have more problems with the Rashon Harris & David Johnson picks (Harris reminds me of too much of Orion Harris and there were too many undrafted O-linemen and NT's that we could have grabbed instead of a TE.)

I regards to our other picks.....I had Hood ranked 27th on my draft board and he can fill an immediate need for depth and youth at DE. I also understand the reasoning behind drafting two CB's (to replace McFadden and the aging Townsend)
Summers and Shipley were both value picks.... With Summers possibly playing soon and Shipley being a good wave player at two positions.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm not at all saying this draft was a bad one for us but....... I think the FO in reality is pretty disappointed in how this draft played out. They clearly wanted a Mack or Wood in the first round. Neither was available so they took the highest guy on their board. In the 2nd they wanted Unger or Levitre and were unable to trade up. So they traded out of the 2nd and went with their plan B.

That IMO has to be some what disappointing to the FO and coaching staff. We still don't have a center (long term) and we are now looking at a training camp battle w/ Stapelton and Urbik. So we didn't get a sure thing starter out of our first two picks.

Mack, Wood, Unger, or Levitre would be starting on this team. Instead we are left w/ a good insurance policy on the D-line and a competitor for the starting RG spot. I live in Madison so I'm a bit biased about Urbik, I love the pick. I want to think he'll be our starting RG this year but it probably is a long shot.

As for rounds 5-7 I'll be shocked if one of those guys makes this team.

I normally dont count on rookie O linemen to start, but I think Urbik will battle Stapleton for the RG spot and win.

As for round 5-7, I think Joe Burnett will make it because of his special teams ability in place of Anthony Madison. RaShon Harris might beat out Hoke as both he and Nick Eason can play NT if needed. I think Shipley and the TE goto the practice squad.

iceman000123
04-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Where's Nate Washington?

We needed a speed threat to stretch the field for all the underneath stuff.
Being a returner is just the gravy. We had the bread and butter, just no gravy. :chuckle:

I do feel comfortable with Wallace. Actually Like i've been saying i'm excited to see him play on this level. He is FAST and can easily fill Nate's spot. Now as long as he can catch well he might have a shot over Sweed. Might.:football:

steelreserve
04-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I have more problems with the Rashon Harris & David Johnson picks (Harris reminds me of too much of Orion Harris and there were too many undrafted O-linemen and NT's that we could have grabbed instead of a TE.)

Well, hey, since they're undrafted, we can still grab them, right?

Here's hoping, anyway.

Preacher
04-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Wallace may be the fastest WR on the Steelers now. He replaces Washington who was the steelers fastest WR and deep threat.

I could have seen a lot of other picks too, but this guy fills the void that Nate left and he could be the #4 WR......plus he is a good kickoff returner.

Here is a video of a nice TD in traffic in the Cotton Bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI10HFljUew

You know what is TRULY scary about that video?

Count the seconds. When the vid starts, it takes him about 5 seconds to get down field... and he SLOWS DOWN FOR THE BALL.as well as bending inside.

He may have FASTER GAME SPEED THEN HIS 40!!

:jawdrop:

Dr. Steel
04-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Ok lets just have our FB and RB's return kicks again this year. The Wallace pick and the Burnett pick will upgrade our return game period.

Wallace also can play WR and another WR was a need. You mentioned Dallas Baker and Martin Nance. Baker has been nothing but practice squad material. I seriously doubt this is the year it all comes together for him. He screams Walter Young.

Martin Nance has bounced around since being in the NFL. Now I'm not saying these two can't turn it around and become players. But for the Steelers to ignore the WR position and think these two are the answer would be a mistake.