PDA

View Full Version : Steelers wanted Unger and/or Lavitra (sp?)

BubbyBrister
04-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Was just listening to DVE and the Steelers were trying to trade up in the second round to get either Max Unger or Andy Lavitra (unsure of the spelling, a guard for Oregon State they said).

When they were unable to do that, they just decided to trade down instead.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Man........I am so glad they didnt. Urbik is a more powerful run blocker than Unger, but not as light on his feet.

I never understood the fascination with Levitre. He played LT, but his short arms made it necessary that he play guard. He didnt anchor well against the bull rush and didnt look as if he played with a mean streak or nasty edge.

I think both Max Unger and Andy Levitre would get pushed backward in pass protection and less push in the run game than Urbik. But, the would both get to LB's at the 2nd level faster.........kind of like Stapleton does.

Steel Head
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I wish they would have traded up w NE and got Oher

it would have cost them their #32 pick and probably their 4th rounder

BubbyBrister
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
I was hoping for the same.

my guess is Cleveland really threw a wrench into their plans by taking Mack.

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly NE's pick was before CLE's, so FO probably was like 'oh well, would've been nice...we'll just take Mack now' then the stains got in the way of that one.

as they say, 'if you can't draft your own, find out who the steelers wanted and take them instead'

SunshineMan21
04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah, if we were going to trade up for anyone I would have preferred Oher, not Levitre or Unger.