PDA

View Full Version : Draft Steals

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Are there any players that your were surprised to see fall into the later rounds?

What player do you think was gift wrapped and handed to a team on the second day?
I think the obvious is the Bears getting DE Gilbert in the third, but my draft steal is going to the Jaguars in selecteing Rashad Jennnings the 6'1" 231lb RB out of Liberty with the 41st pick in the 7th round.

In three seasons at Liberty, Jennings set the league career records for yards gained rushing (3,633), placing second all-time for touchdown runs (42), rushing yardage average (5.74), rushing attempts (633) and all-purpose yardage (4,155). He also established a Big South mark with four games with at least three touchdown runs.

As a senior, he broke the Big South single-season records for most rushing attempts (263), most touchdown runs (17), most yards rushing (1,500) and best rushing average (136.36 ypg). His 1,690 all-purpose yards in 2008 rank second in league season annals (third with a 153.64 ypg average) while his average of 154.33 all-purpose yards per game in 2007 also placed second on that list.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/rashad-jennings?id=71345

I think this kid is going to have an impact this year on the Jags.

Who else do you have?

19ward86
04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Rashad Jennings was projected as a late 1st- early 2nd round pick pre-draft so that is a steal no matter how you look at it. Gilbert was the 2nd biggest steal following Orakbo. Orakbo might of been the best player in the draft, he benches 515 lbs and has a 40 inch verticle!!! That is barely realistic lol.

I though the Steelers getting Shipley in the 7th is also ridiculous, i understand his arms are only 29 inches but the best center being drafted that late is crazy. A steal that happened after the draft went to the Vikings, Ian Johnson of Boise State was signed as a free agent, this kid was crazy good in college and should of been drafted.

baronvonheil
04-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Sir you are very much on point. Gotta tell you it looks like the NFL had there collective heads of there asses this year. Rashard Jennings looks like the next Eddie George to me, he'll be a wonderful complement to Maurice Jones-Drew, instant impact. My guess is he fell due to a slow 40 at the combine (4.67) but the Chargers drafted Gartrell Johnson in round 4 and he ran a 4.81.

Shipley for us in round 7 another great steal of the draft candidate. I think he can start for us down the road.

But to me the biggest oversight was Dudley Guice, who the Titans got as a UDFA. Sorry but this guy is the real deal. He has was very smart to sign with the Titans, I mean where else would he have a better chance to win a starting job fighting the uphill climb as a UDFA, their receivers suck. I think he'll be better than Britt who they drafted in round 1.

tony hipchest
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
the patriots just acquired the entire 2nd round of next years draft...

seiously though i thought the eagles cleaned up getting maclin and landing the patriots other cb for only 2 5ths, to pair w/ a samuel.

i thought oher was a steal.

i liked the video posted of guice. he looked like a really good sleeper project.

55BaileyFan
04-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Carolina Panthers No. 163, Round 5: Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
I think OG Trevor Canfield fell to round 7...I had him as a 3rd round prospect on my board.

Dylan
04-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Carolina Panthers No. 163, Round 5: Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma

yep completely agree, i thought he would be a 2nd to 3rd round pick

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 10:51 PM
I am curious to know what the Steelers didnt like about Eben Britton. My projected 1st 3 rounds for the Steelers were

Britton
Jarron Gilbert
Donald Washington

We could have done that and still ended up with Duke Robinson later, which would have given us 2 solid O line picks, a DE many think was a steal by Chicago in the 3rd and a solid CB. They must have not liked Brittons attitude or arm length.

ShutDown24
04-27-2009, 11:25 PM
I honestly think Hood was a steal for us at 32.

Jaron Gilbert was by far the biggest steal in the draft in my opinion.

BehindSteelCurtain
04-28-2009, 12:11 AM
I honestly think Hood was a steal for us at 32.

Jaron Gilbert was by far the biggest steal in the draft in my opinion.

Gilbert you think? I don't think he is that good. Everyone just assumes he is good becuase he can jump out of a pool.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Gilbert you think? I don't think he is that good. Everyone just assumes he is good becuase he can jump out of a pool.

I assume he is good because he had 52 tackles (36 solos), led the nation with 22 stops for losses and had 9.5 sacks.:noidea:

He has had no character issues....He beat Tyson Jackson in virtually every category at the Combine...and he has NFL bloodlines with his father having played for the Saints.

sjsmvp95
04-28-2009, 07:04 PM
I assume he is good because he had 52 tackles (36 solos), led the nation with 22 stops for losses and had 9.5 sacks.:noidea:

He has had no character issues....He beat Tyson Jackson in virtually every category at the Combine...and he has NFL bloodlines with his father having played for the Saints.

Thank you!! Jarron Gilbert was definitely the biggest steal of the draft. I have a strong feeling he will outproduce Tyson Jackson and Ziggy Hood - and be a better professional while at it. I like the Steelers, probably my 3rd favorite team..and I went to San Jose State and I was praying for the Steelers to pick Jarron in the 2nd, oh well we'll all see how it works out soon enough.

ShutDown24
04-28-2009, 07:46 PM

See the following:

Thanks LLT, I couldn't have explained it better.

St33lersguy
04-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Everrette Brown falling to the 2nd round

taztroy43
04-29-2009, 02:04 AM
The biggest draft steals in the 2009 NFL Draft are MLB Rey Maualuga and DE/OLB Micheal Johnson!!!!.....Rey Maualuga went in the 2nd round after being projected in the mid 1st!!!!.....and Micheal Johnson was a steal in the 3rd after being projected going maybe in the late 1st early 2nd......man....we had a shot at Maualuga, he is way better than Laurinatis.......and Micheal Johnson was the best player available as well as Jarron Gilbert in the 3rd....they shouldn't of traded down to pick Urbik.... I agree with the Mike Wallace pick, he can fly a 6'1" WR running a 4.33 40.....hes FAST!!! he's gunna help out on the return game as well as stretching the field as a WR.....I also agree with CB Keenan Lewis...a 6'1" corner whos really physical and ran a high 4.4......he reminds me of Ike's physicality and his physical nature....but Ike Taylor is way faster.....but he's gunna be a good one IMO.......

ShutDown24
04-29-2009, 07:14 AM
The biggest draft steals in the 2009 NFL Draft are MLB Rey Maualuga and DE/OLB Micheal Johnson!!!!.....Rey Maualuga went in the 2nd round after being projected in the mid 1st!!!!.....and Micheal Johnson was a steal in the 3rd after being projected going maybe in the late 1st early 2nd......man....we had a shot at Maualuga, he is way better than Laurinatis.......and Micheal Johnson was the best player available as well as Jarron Gilbert in the 3rd....they shouldn't of traded down to pick Urbik.... I agree with the Mike Wallace pick, he can fly a 6'1" WR running a 4.33 40.....hes FAST!!! he's gunna help out on the return game as well as stretching the field as a WR.....I also agree with CB Keenan Lewis...a 6'1" corner whos really physical and ran a high 4.4......he reminds me of Ike's physicality and his physical nature....but Ike Taylor is way faster.....but he's gunna be a good one IMO.......

I agree that we should have seriously considered Maualuga, but they were really targeting Hood and I think they made the right choice.

Michael Johnson is soft. He's not a Steeler player. And we would have to move him to OLB and I'm not sure how that transition would go for him as he already struggles to produce sometimes at his natural position of DE. He does have a lot of potential for the Bengals, though.

I would have really looked at making the pick for Jarron Gilbert with our second round pick, but I think we really did need a guard.

xfl2001fan
04-29-2009, 08:39 AM
man....we had a shot at Maualuga, he is way better than Laurinatis.......

Short term/long term, who helps your team more, Rey Rey or Ziggy? I would much rather the Steelers have gotten Rey Rey, because I think Ziggy is the answer to both of those questions. In the short term, Rey Rey was (at best) a special teamer, in the long term, he's a two-down LB...which means that he has to replace the guy replacing Foote. I just don't see that happening by a 2-down LB.

revefsreleets
04-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Rey Maualuga had zero shot of playing for the B&G. Character counts, and he ended up playing for the perfect team for a guy with his character questions...

lilyoder6
04-29-2009, 09:47 AM
i'm gonna have 2 go with my boy and some other ppl picks on here as rashad jennings...

knowing him and watching him for the past yr i think he is rly going to help offset mjd and the running game for the jags...

taztroy43
05-01-2009, 03:40 AM
I agree that we should have seriously considered Maualuga, but they were really targeting Hood and I think they made the right choice.

Michael Johnson is soft. He's not a Steeler player. And we would have to move him to OLB and I'm not sure how that transition would go for him as he already struggles to produce sometimes at his natural position of DE. He does have a lot of potential for the Bengals, though.

I would have really looked at making the pick for Jarron Gilbert with our second round pick, but I think we really did need a guard.

Your right about Johnson he doesn't have that blue collar mentality to be a Steeler.....but he does have that Bengal/Raider mentality for sure....lol.....but n-e wayz he's a hell of a specimen...but i hope he doesn't live up 2 his potential especially because hes w/the bengals....I would not of mind if they got Jarron in the 2nd but the thing on him is his game intensity(motor n toughness to be a DLmen in the NFL)...He's a great athlete and I wanted the Steelers to pick him up but the thing was that they already addressed the DL with Ziggy Hood....that guy is a Steeler type guy....a guy that always plays with high intensity!....hopefully it pans out in the long run....but man Maulaluga would of been something else for the Steelers but lets hope they did the right thing by addressing the Aging DL....but Ziggy has a lot of potential @ DT or DE...we just gotta wait and see what happens.....all in all I think they addressed most if not all of they're needs.....

Aussie_steeler
05-01-2009, 05:19 AM
My draft steals

Miami Dolpins round 2 #61 Sean Smith
Chicago Bears round 4 #119 DJ Moore
Geren Bay Round 5 #162 Jamon Meredith
Tennessee Titans Round 5 #173 Javon RInger
Cardinals Round 7 #254 Trevor Canfield

I believe that all these picks present great value - i cant believe Canfield fell this far.

SteelersJW
05-01-2009, 10:13 AM
I was really pissed to see the Bungels got Michael Johnson where they did. He's got all the measureables to be developed into a great DE/LB. I was hoping we might take interest in him in that round.

MDSteel15
05-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Rey Maualuga had zero shot of playing for the B&G. Character counts, and he ended up playing for the perfect team for a guy with his character questions...

:thumbsup: Exactly :popcorn:

taztroy43
05-02-2009, 02:41 AM
I agree with you Aussie_steeler

Sean Smith was a steal @ 61!!!...I was hoping we had a shot at that guy...but thats how the damn draft goes....well lets see what happens.....

Aussie_steeler
05-02-2009, 11:17 PM
I agree with you Aussie_steeler

Sean Smith was a steal @ 61!!!...I was hoping we had a shot at that guy...but thats how the damn draft goes....well lets see what happens.....

If he was there at 64 you would like to think that he would have been snapped up by the steelers.

IMO he would have be a great FS down the road for us.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-03-2009, 04:13 AM
OT Joel Bell went undrated and was signed as an UDFA by the Bills....He is a very high ceiling prospect that I would have loved for the steelers to have signed and given a year or two to develop.

Also CB Brian McCain from Utah was drafted in the 6th round by the Texans...he measured in at 5-foot-9 and 181 pounds at his pro day and ran times of 4.33 and 4.34 his 40-yard dash times, (faster than any cornerback’s time at the NFL combine).
He had a 36 1/2-inch vertical and a 10-foot-3 broad jump and Gil Brandt said he looked very good in position drills.

Galax Steeler
01-09-2010, 06:09 AM
How about good old Mike Wallace 3rd round pick 84th overall. I think this was a good steal for us in that round. 39 receptions with 756 yards and 6 touchdowns. Why wouldn't this be one of the best steals in the draft.

supa_fly_steeler
01-09-2010, 10:31 AM
How about good old Mike Wallace 3rd round pick 84th overall. I think this was a good steal for us in that round. 39 receptions with 756 yards and 6 touchdowns. Why wouldn't this be one of the best steals in the draft.

Mike Wallace is gonna be more than just a 2nd day draft steal i assure you of that :D :tt04:

taztroy43
01-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Mike Wallace has a huge ceiling....he is going to be something special....Its kinda rare to find a guy with that kind of speed n those kind of hands!!!!

Steel-Bryan
01-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Wallace !