PDA

View Full Version : Draft Grades too high?

xfl2001fan
04-27-2009, 02:10 PM
What is it with all these draft guys giving such high grades? Seriously. Why can't there be more average grades? Also, when you do a pick by pick analysis, why don't your draft grades add up to the right GPA?

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2009pit.php

PITT: A, A, A, A, B, B, B, A, B = 3.56 = A+ ???
BAL: A, B, C, A, A, A = 3.5 = A
CIN: F, A, A, A, A, B, A, B, B, A, C = 3.18 = B
CLE: B, B, D, D, B, B, A, A = 2.75 = C- ???

It's one thing to like/not like draft picks, but be consistent with your grades. And if you are going to give extra weight to certain picks, be consistent across the board.

Steel Head
04-27-2009, 02:16 PM
A+ is too high imo

Cleveland's grade is also too high :flap:

Steel Head
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
It's one thing to like/not like draft picks, but be consistent with your grades. And if you are going to give extra weight to certain picks, be consistent across the board.

instead of just reading the letters, you should read what he writes about each pick then use your brain and try to comprehend it

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2009, 02:24 PM
so what are ya tryin to say xfl ???....:huh: ........:laughing:

The_WARDen
04-27-2009, 02:32 PM
that all the Steelers' picks were A & B's? Sound like a homer to me.

revefsreleets
04-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Just depends on the site...I've seen a few sites now that have given the proper high marks to Cleveland.

Steel Head
04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
that all the Steelers' picks were A & B's? Sound like a homer to me.

he's not a Steelers fan, I know who runs the site

It's actually a great site, especially during the season. you can look through his pre-draft player rankings which are pretty good

xfl2001fan
04-27-2009, 02:49 PM
instead of just reading the letters, you should read what he writes about each pick then use your brain and try to comprehend it

I read the comments. I meant that in general, that it seems that pundits give out grades that are too high. If the entire NFL, on average, was a "B Student" or better when it comes to drafting, then why do so many teams suck?

Also, why don't the draft grades add up properly? If a team is an A+ or a C-, fine...show me all of the grades that back that up. I was a 3.5 GPA student in HS. I could have done better, but I didn't. So my cumulative grades came out to 3.5, not to the 4.0 I could easily have attained.

Where are the average grades? A+ should be for teams that do an absolute stellar job, picking up guys that fit perfect needs (with every pick) at a point that they are valuable.

You know, like San Fran getting Michael Crabtree with the 10th overall. He was a Top-5 pick coming out of college and fell to them at #10.

Or, Green Bay getting the best NT in the draft and drafting him when they did.

Of course, all of it is speculation, because nobody knows how well these guys pan out. Massaquoi (our first "D") could end up being a Hall of Famer, while Ziggy Hood doesn't cut it for you. Don't know, and won't know til it happens over the next few years.

Ultimately, I'd honestly like to see more D and C grades.

Steel Head
04-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Also, why don't the draft grades add up properly? If a team is an A+ or a C-, fine...show me all of the grades that back that up. I was a 3.5 GPA student in HS. I could have done better, but I didn't. So my cumulative grades came out to 3.5, not to the 4.0 I could easily have attained.

It shouldnt add up properly, this isn't high school

he grades each player individually (based on how good they are and what spot they were drafted)

then he looks at the draft as a whole

it doesn't have to add up equally, think about it

but yeah, im not sure why he gave the Steelers an A+ :noidea: Like, I said I know the guy who runs the site and he is not a Steelers fan

xfl2001fan
04-27-2009, 03:13 PM
It shouldnt add up properly, this isn't high school

he grades each player individually (based on how good they are and what spot they were drafted)

then he looks at the draft as a whole

it doesn't have to add up equally, think about it

but yeah, im not sure why he gave the Steelers an A+ :noidea: Like, I said I know the guy who runs the site and he is not a Steelers fan

Then why grade individually? If your data doesn't add up, don't show it. Or change the data so that it reflects your final answer. Either way would be fine. I can accept that he doesn't like the Browns draft and loves the Steelers draft. I can accept his comments on what each pick means. However, don't show data that doesn't compute properly. The whole is made up of the individual parts.

If you're going to use a High School/College "Letter" grading system, then use it. If you're not, then don't. Plain and simple. His information doesn't add up. Two picks he didn't like on the Browns and we are a C-? He absolutely hated the first pick of the Ravens (failing it) and gave them a B overall. Don't you want your earlier picks to be nailed? No matter how I look at it, his data doesn't add up.

I love his site. I've used it (and several others) to try and keep up with the draft prospects, because I haven't had the opportunity to watch a lot of games these last couple of years. It's not a knock on just him...because I've seen many other's do it. His was just the first example I had, because I had pulled his information up.

xfl2001fan
04-27-2009, 03:20 PM
While I disagree with many of their grades (Browns, Bengals a little too high, Steelers way too low), I like that they aren't afraid to give out a range of grades.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=gradingthenfldraftfourat&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Again, I don't agree with all the picks. I'm sure Steel_Head will try to nitpick the shit out of this. It's not the grades in general, it's the way the report card reads. The whole gamut of grades is represented.

Preacher
04-27-2009, 04:01 PM
ESPN gives us a B-
I think that is far... maybe a B.