PDA

View Full Version : Steelers O line picks

BKAnthem
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Caldwell isn't a better center than Shipley? I don't get the Pick....and they couldn't get another OT? No tackles in the entire draft can compete for a job on THIS LINE?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I guess the Steelers are happy with Starks, Colon, Essex, Hills, Capizzi at OT.

I think Caldwell is better than Shipley, but Urbik is better than Caldwell.

55BaileyFan
04-27-2009, 05:21 PM
I think Urbik could win the starting RG spot out of camp. I still think that with a year behind Hartwig that Shipley could be a good center. Most likely not Dawson good but possibly Hartings good.

Psyychoward86
04-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Capizzi and Hills are our potential future OT's. Dont forget that.

55BaileyFan
04-27-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm fine with our tackles for the most part. I think that Colon is more of a guard than tackle but other than that we have good depth and will be fine. I think that Urbik could play right away and Kemo will be a solid guard for 6 or 7 more seasons...if not more.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
So much of the future of our O-Line lies in the development of Hills. I think that the potential of Hills is higher than those of us outside of the "coaches circle" realize.

Dylan
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
i honeslt think that urbik and shipley could be apart of our interior line for the next decade...i think they addressed the line well this year..you dont want to overstock on one position.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 10:46 PM
So much of the future of our O-Line lies in the development of Hills. I think that the potential of Hills is higher than those of us outside of the "coaches circle" realize.

You could see Hills "potential" last year in the preseason as his footwork was good. He just didnt use his arms well, have a punch in pass protection and was too high. He has the tools, but I dont know if Zeirline can create a LT out of him......but I believe he can play RT, even with poor development.

BKAnthem
04-28-2009, 01:56 AM
I think Zierlein is a horrible coach. the O line Has seemed to have gotten worse since he's been there...i'm just wondering when Tomlin will see it...And i still find it hard to believe none of the Tackles in this draft could compete for a spot when Starks and Colon are the Starters.....I think they could have drafted, Caldwell, Urbick, and probably TJ Lang...

revefsreleets
04-28-2009, 09:38 AM
They were obviously higher on Urbik than they were Caldwell. And it looks like whomever they took, they are looking at utilizing them as C/G. BA said Urbik would get a look at C.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2009, 09:44 AM
BA said Urbik would get a look at C.
I think what Arians was saying is the Urbik is a guard, he can play OT if needed and they are gonna give him some reps at center so they dont necessarily have to dress somebody as a backup center.

We’ll stick the ball between his legs and see if he can do that too, so he has the ability to dress on Sunday and be a guy that could possibly be a three position player for us.

The common thing nowadays is to only dress 2 backup O linemen on gameday. So if Urbik can snap in an emergency or play RT, he has a much better chance of making the gameday roster.

http://news.steelers.com/article/104908/

revefsreleets
04-28-2009, 10:20 AM
I think what Arians was saying is the Urbik is a guard, he can play OT if needed and they are gonna give him some reps at center so they dont necessarily have to dress somebody as a backup center.

We’ll stick the ball between his legs and see if he can do that too, so he has the ability to dress on Sunday and be a guy that could possibly be a three position player for us.

The common thing nowadays is to only dress 2 backup O linemen on gameday. So if Urbik can snap in an emergency or play RT, he has a much better chance of making the gameday roster.

http://news.steelers.com/article/104908/

My point is, they were looking at centers that could play guard, and guards that can play center. They were looking for flexibility in the player they selected for depth, and it was clear they are addressing the line from the inside out...

rbryan
04-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I like Urbik a lot. I think he will be the starting RG at some point this year, if not opening day.

Stapleton better work on his long snap skills and position flexibility if he expects to still be around come Sept.

Steel Head
04-28-2009, 10:47 AM
interesting note:

That big guard Vazquez from Texas Tech? was picked by the Chargers 1 pick before the Steelers took Urbik. They did bring in Vazquez for an interview in Pittsburgh and I am guessing they would have taken him over Urbik.

oh well, I'm excited to see if Urbik can step in at RG and play well

BKAnthem
04-28-2009, 12:31 PM
They were obviously higher on Urbik than they were Caldwell. And it looks like whomever they took, they are looking at utilizing them as C/G. BA said Urbik would get a look at C.

I think they could have had them both...Caldwell is a Better center than Shipley and he was still available....Colbert and Co. are fooliong them selves if they don't think they need a Tackle and Center...

SteelPerch
04-28-2009, 12:33 PM

Caldwell was picked before Urbik. Steelers had no shot at him unless it was at 64.

Steel Head
04-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Urbik won't be playing center

#1LambertFan
04-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I think Zierlein is a horrible coach. the O line Has seemed to have gotten worse since he's been there...i'm just wondering when Tomlin will see it...And i still find it hard to believe none of the Tackles in this draft could compete for a spot when Starks and Colon are the Starters.....I think they could have drafted, Caldwell, Urbick, and probably TJ Lang...

Not to mention that act that nobody respects him at all!

revefsreleets
04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Caldwell was picked before Urbik. Steelers had no shot at him unless it was at 64.

And:

A) They didn't take him at 64, and they could have
B) They didn't make any effort to move to get him otherwise

I'm guessing they had Urbik in mind if they couldn't get Unger or the other kid they had targeted. Since there was no sense of urgency when they missed their targets, they must have had these guys all VERY close together talent-wise.

competive
04-28-2009, 11:27 PM
In my seldom humble opinion, I dont think we need tackles as we need guards and center, Kimo seems to bounce off blocks, Stapleton did a very decent job. I think Urbik needs lot of work, but seems like a mauler. A.Q. maybe we just got luckt with him, Like it was meant to be.

Webster spirit lives!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Stapleton did a very decent job. I think Urbik needs lot of work, but seems like a mauler. !

Urbik will win the starting RG job this year. Maybe midseason, but more likely in training camp. Stapleton was average at best and in most cases, overpowered by D linemen.

BKAnthem
04-30-2009, 02:10 AM
Urbik will win the starting RG job this year. Maybe midseason, but more likely in training camp. Stapleton was average at best and in most cases, overpowered by D linemen.

Especially in the SuperBowl...

Steelman16
04-30-2009, 10:11 AM

I liked Stapleton and how he came in and competed after Simmons went down, but you're right, he got mauled multiple times a game it seemed lile.

Urbik has the size, and I'm thinking he might help Colon's production too.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Especially in the SuperBowl...

Yeah, it was apparent in the Super Bowl. I noticed early on that against 4-3 teams Stapleton struggled with guys lined up over him......but against 3-4 teams where he can get to the 2nd level on a LB, he had success. The games against the Giants, Colts, Titans, Cardinals, Jaguars and Redskins he struggled.

The one game he really struggled was against the Patriots. We hammered them, but Stapleton was getting stuffed in the hole by Teddy Bruschi quite a lot. I think Urbik will be a stronger upgrade.

triphahn
04-30-2009, 08:28 PM

I totally agree. His college stats were awesome, he's got the size to play and I really think the fact that the Steelers did not invest heavily in the OL means they have confidence in his progress.

BKAnthem
04-30-2009, 11:52 PM
Yeah, it was apparent in the Super Bowl. I noticed early on that against 4-3 teams Stapleton struggled with guys lined up over him......but against 3-4 teams where he can get to the 2nd level on a LB, he had success. The games against the Giants, Colts, Titans, Cardinals, Jaguars and Redskins he struggled.

The one game he really struggled was against the Patriots. We hammered them, but Stapleton was getting stuffed in the hole by Teddy Bruschi quite a lot. I think Urbik will be a stronger upgrade.

This is why i can't understand the Steelers going after Caldwell...this guy is also the back-up center...what kind of push is the line going to get up front if he can't move that nose? This guy beat out Chucky Okobi? i don't see it...i just think these guys are bad evaluators of talent when it comes to the Line....

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 12:20 AM
This is why i can't understand the Steelers going after Caldwell...this guy is also the back-up center...what kind of push is the line going to get up front if he can't move that nose? This guy beat out Chucky Okobi? i don't see it...i just think these guys are bad evaluators of talent when it comes to the Line....

I dont understand. You think the Steelers going after Caldwell would have been a mistake? or do you think they should have gone after Caldwell??

I think we are fine with Hartwig and he might get a contract extension, which I am not opposed to, but dont know if we can afford it. I think Caldwell will be a good pro and was a better center prospect than Shipley or Luigs. I also think that if Legursky has improved, he could beat out Stapleton as the backup center/guard.

I dont think they are bad talent evaluators. They were just saddled with some picks from the previous coaching staff. Urbik is a good pick. Hills has all the tools to play OT. Colon will get an extension and Shipley may develop into a starter.

BKAnthem
05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I dont understand. You think the Steelers going after Caldwell would have been a mistake? or do you think they should have gone after Caldwell??

I think we are fine with Hartwig and he might get a contract extension, which I am not opposed to, but dont know if we can afford it. I think Caldwell will be a good pro and was a better center prospect than Shipley or Luigs. I also think that if Legursky has improved, he could beat out Stapleton as the backup center/guard.

I dont think they are bad talent evaluators. They were just saddled with some picks from the previous coaching staff. Urbik is a good pick. Hills has all the tools to play OT. Colon will get an extension and Shipley may develop into a starter.

Sorry that was a typo..i meant that i didn't understand why the Steelers DIDN'T go after Caldwell....i like Hartwig but i'm used the Steelers being Dominant at the center spot not just ok....Do you think Hills can beat out Colon this year on the right side? or Starks on the Left?

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Sorry that was a typo..i meant that i didn't understand why the Steelers DIDN'T go after Caldwell....i like Hartwig but i'm used the Steelers being Dominant at the center spot not just ok....Do you think Hills can beat out Colon this year on the right side? or Starks on the Left?

I think the Steelers were gonna be happy with a number of guys in the 3rd. It just happened that Caldwell and Vasquez went right ahead of Urbik. Caldwell would not be much more dominant than Hartwig, IMO. He's strong, but not a mauler like Mack or Wood.

I dont think Hills is gonna beat out Colon. They like Colon and are pretty adamant that he is a RT. I was hoping the Steelers might look at trying to get their best 5 linemen on the field and in that case, move Colon to RG and Hills to RT. I think the drafting of Urbik means that Colon will stay at RT. The $8.5million man will play LT unless injured.

rbryan
05-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I think it's just a matter of time before no one will be talking about how bad the OL is.

Another year (and hopefully offseason) of guys learning to play together, along with the confidence gained from winning the SB. Mix in some new blood to push the competition and this crew will look like the kind of Steeler OL we have all grown to know and love.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 05:17 PM
I think it's just a matter of time before no one will be talking about how bad the OL is.
Urbik is gonna be a HUGE improvement over Stapleton. That will solidify the right side. If Kemo can just learn to pickup blitzes and stunts.....the sack total should be under 40.