PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 2009 Draft Grade: F

fordfan485
04-27-2009, 03:14 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=gradingthenfldraftfourat&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Hapa
04-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I hope he's wrong... poopie

tony hipchest
04-27-2009, 03:21 PM
hes on crack

scsteeler
04-27-2009, 03:32 PM
That F grade is most likely due to what they call immediate impact players of which no one drafted by the Steelers is considered to be. In about 3 or 4 years I would dare say they will be calling the 2009 draft of the Steelers another great draft and that somehow the Steelers seem to find players that are play makers.

The key to the Steelers and their draft picks is that I think they choose people that fit into what they want to do here in Steel Town and the Steelers are the best at developing players for future play unlike most teams that hope to hit the lottery right away with that one great player.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2009, 03:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=gradingthenfldraftfourat&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Pittsburgh Steelers: F

It's hard to have an impressive draft after you win the Super Bowl and pick 32nd. Defensive tackle Evander "Ziggy" Hood could be a nice pickup on a line that needed to get younger. Wideout Mike Wallace is an intriguing deep threat.

Wow...its easy to avoid criticism if you simply dont back up your opinion with any facts...right?

Steeldude
04-27-2009, 03:35 PM
the guy writes his evaluations like a 6-year old would do. he has probably never watched an NFL game in his life.

The Definiti0n
04-27-2009, 03:40 PM
:doh:lo, the fact the he gave the Lions and Eagles an A should tell us something

OX1947
04-27-2009, 03:41 PM
I dont understand how the hell you can grade something that hasnt been completed yet. They havent even played yet, why do they have grades for things when the players havent even played.

Fire Haley
04-27-2009, 03:42 PM
I give the article an F.

Probably a Cards or Pats fan still jealous of our Super Bowl #6 trophy.

If they rated the Raiders ahead of us they are definitely on crack.

Did you see how with 8000 hrs of draft day coverage the SB Champion Steelers were barely mentioned?

Kiss this

http://sportsposterwarehouse.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/11.jpg

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2009, 03:46 PM
:doh:lo, the fact the he gave the Lions and Eagles an A should tell us something

He gave the Raiders a "D-"....and gives the Steelers a "F".....WTF????

:rofl:

55BaileyFan
04-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Remember last year when the Chiefs where given and A rating...how did they finish? And now they have Chicago, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, and Detroit at the top. Anyone see a Super Bowl Champion there?

realdeal
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM
That guy is a moron! Who does he write for? My 6th graders can write better than that tool!

steelreserve
04-27-2009, 03:59 PM
The fact that he gave the Lions an "A" for drafting Joey Harrington -- er, I mean Matt Stafford -- with the first pick should tell you something. In fact, 4 out of his top 8 look like they just got good grades because they were shitty teams who happened to have a high pick. No matter who they drafted, it was going to look like a stroke of genius that filled a need; never mind that it's because they had so many needs to fill that it would be hard to miss.

SteelerFanInCA
04-27-2009, 04:08 PM
What a joke this writer is.

St33lersguy
04-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Worse yet he states nothing to support the F. This guy knows nothing about football. I can't believe this moron is allowed to write an actual article on an actual internet website. He gives the Bungles an A, WOW!!

BlastFurnace
04-27-2009, 04:09 PM
This is just one writer from TSN. Another writer with the magazine gave us a C+

St33lersguy
04-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I bet if you ask this dimbulb who won this past Superbowl he would say the Cheaters & Tommy Brady was the superbowl MVP.

CPanther95
04-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Mucking Foron.

KeiselPower99
04-27-2009, 04:38 PM
We might not be sexy but we do what 31 other teams wanna do...Win Super Bowls.

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2009, 04:41 PM
How do I get a lot of emails and make myself look important?

Oh right...Grade the Steelers and F! That'll fire up their fan base and flood my inbox! I can show that to my boss and then look like I'm good at what I'm doing.

Typical generate hype online tactic.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

Preacher
04-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Hilarious.

He is basically grading on what NAMES the teams got, REGARDLESS of what the teams really needed and how it will fit within their mold.

According to his metrics, I hope the Steelers are ranked D or F every year.

KeiselPower99
04-27-2009, 04:47 PM
The fact that he gave the Lions an "A" for drafting Joey Harrington -- er, I mean Matt Stafford -- with the first pick should tell you something. In fact, 4 out of his top 8 look like they just got good grades because they were shitty teams who happened to have a high pick. No matter who they drafted, it was going to look like a stroke of genius that filled a need; never mind that it's because they had so many needs to fill that it would be hard to miss.

The one jacknut on Yahoo gave NewEngland an A and Dallas a B for their 12 picks. Lookslike someone cant get off the tit yet.

zsheik22
04-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Gives an F in a compliment riddled critique?

Very interesting. Oh, let's see what he says when Stafford BUSTS.

This is like them saying the afc north was going to suck last season and the browns were going to win the division. Analysts most of the time just guess like everyone else. Imagine going to your job and being able to be wrong 80% of the time. They are honest to God fame mooches.

Psyychoward86
04-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Lol! The Bengals draft 3 THUGS, and get an A? :rofl:

lilyoder6
04-27-2009, 05:24 PM
this guy must be ride the special bus to work...

SteelMember
04-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I not sure how to spell it, but Pfffft sounds close.

Looks like Tim Lumber has some competition out there. :coffee:

fansince'76
04-27-2009, 05:38 PM
hes on crack

Agreed, considering he gave the Broncos an A-. Admittedly, I'm not much of a draftnik or anything, but even I know that their draft SUCKED.

St33lersguy
04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
I flip the Steelers & bugles grade along. The Steelers added depth where it was needed and the players selected were good choices.
Bungles: Andre Smith will be lazy & not show up at team meetings (maybe even a Steelers game), undisciplined Mallaluga labeled an NFL player making millions, a potential pacman. Michael Johnson is lazy & given a few years will probably quit. Bernard Scott :rofl:
P.S. raiders get an F

SteelersLUFC
04-27-2009, 05:45 PM
really disappointed i though we were going to sort the o line

madtowndrunkard
04-27-2009, 05:48 PM
I've read several highly respected draft experts say Denver had the worst draft. The Raiders draft was bad but the two guys I read today said the players they drafted weren't bad but were they took them was questionable. So they actually gave Denver a worse grade.

Obviously you cannot grade a draft before the players actually play....but on paper I'd say the steelers draft wasn't great. Not horrible but not good either. They missed out on every player they targeted in the first couple rounds. The steelers wanted a center and couldn't get one, the couldn't get the OG they really wanted either. So day one was probably a D and day two looks like an A to me.

I think what the steelers do better then other teams is how they react when their "man" is no longer there. They don't reach for players. They don't trade away the farm to get someone. If "their" guy is gone the take the highest ranked guy on the board...and that was Hood. You can't argue with any of their 3rd round picks IMO. They filled a need and they were a good value in the 3rd round.

What makes this draft weak IMO is the fact that our #1 pick will likely not start for another 2-3 years. But he does add needed depth on the D-line. You never know when one of our DT's gets an injury.

X-Terminator
04-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks a lot, dude. :doh: All you've done is give the crybabies something else to stomp their feet about by posting this article.

Rek
04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Lol! The Bengals draft 3 THUGS, and get an A? :rofl:

It's assumed these days given the track record of the Bungles and their criminal-players.

fansince'76
04-27-2009, 05:57 PM
What makes this draft weak IMO is the fact that our #1 pick will likely not start for another 2-3 years. But he does add needed depth on the D-line. You never know when one of our DT's gets an injury.

Considering our front 3 and Hampton's backup are all 30+, I'd say DL was a need.

SteelCityMan786
04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks a lot, dude. :doh: All you've done is give the crybabies something else to stomp their feet about by posting this article.

Especially when the opinion of Yahoo now essentially means shit.

Psyychoward86
04-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Dude. When you have a coaching staff and roster this good, you have the CAPABILITY to comfortably allow players to not start right away. Troy's a great example. He didnt rock the boat his first season. But look at him now. He's arguably one of the finest Strong Safeties EVER. If we followed the mentality that a player must contribute immediatlely we'd be screwed. This was a phenomenal team before FA and the draft, and it still is. What's the rush?

austinfrench76
04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
He gave the Riaders a D- and us an F! Nuff said.

HometownGal
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
I give that melon head an F for %$&*er. :upyours: I'm going to love seeing that big ole' fried egg on his face down the road. :egg:

What can you expect from someone named Clifton? :laughing:

steelwall
04-27-2009, 07:21 PM
You would think that YAHOO could get better writers. I don't even read their garbage anymore.

srk173
04-27-2009, 07:24 PM
its funny kiper gave us a B on espn tonight.

Texasteel
04-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Obviously you cannot grade a draft before the players actually play....but on paper I'd say the steelers draft wasn't great. Not horrible but not good either. They missed out on every player they targeted in the first couple rounds. The steelers wanted a center and couldn't get one, the couldn't get the OG they really wanted either. So day one was probably a D and day two looks like an A to me.

From what I have been reading, the Steelers had Hood targeted for quite a while. IMO they also got the 3rd best interior lineman in the draft. They got a WR that even Ben couldn't over throw. They got a CB that gives very good depth, and a start in a year or two. Would they have pick someone else if they were available? Maybe, I don't really know, and neither do you, but if I were dumb enough to grade a draft one day after its complition I would not do it off of who someone else drafted. Each pick gave needed depth to an ageing or thin position. Depth that will most likely turn into starts probably sooner that you think. I don't know what else you can ask of the Super Bowl Winner.

tony hipchest
04-27-2009, 07:56 PM
how can u be pleased when everytime we get the ball on offense we see our o line getting manhandled and parker trying to juke a defensive tackle 2 yards behind the line.yep. watching that happen everytime in the superbowl was a beautiful thing....

i was pleased to watch our o-line suck for 19 games this season.

:blah:

X-Terminator
04-27-2009, 07:57 PM
this was a horrible draft in my opinion yes we got ziggy hood a guy who could come out in 2 years be a fantastic de for our team. Yes we did get a terrific kick returner! Yipee! BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION THAT WE FAIL TO ADDRESS EVERY SINGLE YEAR. TAKE A MILLION DOLLAR GUESS.... THE O LINE!!!!!!

i dont get it i really do not get it. why? why dont they want to protect ben? why dont they want to create some holes for mehendall and parker to run through? why? why is this not being addresed. Urbik's certainly not gonna cut it, we had a chance to get duke robinson. I will stick to the steelers until I die but as far as the o line goes all i can is wow and really all i can say is wow because i cant control what the steelers pick. but i dont understand how almost everyone on this forum is content and pleased? how can u be pleased when everytime we get the ball on offense we see our o line getting manhandled and parker trying to juke a defensive tackle 2 yards behind the line.

I guess you completely forgot to read that the Steelers actually did try to trade up in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds to grab OL, but could not make a deal because the teams in those positions had their eyes set on certain players. It takes 2 teams to make a deal, and if the other team isn't willing, then what the hell do you expect the Steelers to do? Sprinkle magic pixie dust on the phone?

Look dude, the Steelers did what they needed to do. Every pick they made addressed a need, including the OL. They were not, and were never going to, use their entire damn draft on OL as you and so many other whiners wanted them to do. You have two options - take the binkie out of your mouth, deal with it and move on, or be continually called a crybaby. Take your pick.

Rek
04-27-2009, 07:58 PM
this was a horrible draft in my opinion yes we got ziggy hood a guy who could come out in 2 years be a fantastic de for our team. Yes we did get a terrific kick returner! Yipee! BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION THAT WE FAIL TO ADDRESS EVERY SINGLE YEAR. TAKE A MILLION DOLLAR GUESS.... THE O LINE!!!!!!

i dont get it i really do not get it. why? why dont they want to protect ben? why dont they want to create some holes for mehendall and parker to run through? why? why is this not being addresed. Urbik's certainly not gonna cut it, we had a chance to get duke robinson. I will stick to the steelers until I die but as far as the o line goes all i can is wow and really all i can say is wow because i cant control what the steelers pick. but i dont understand how almost everyone on this forum is content and pleased? how can u be pleased when everytime we get the ball on offense we see our o line getting manhandled and parker trying to juke a defensive tackle 2 yards behind the line.

Why did we win the Super Bowl two of the last four years? Why? Why? Why?

Hammer67
04-27-2009, 08:03 PM
How can anyone possible grade a draft before any of these players play a down for their respective teams?

St33lersguy
04-27-2009, 08:09 PM

You're right, even though they had other needs and made great selections the Steelers should have went OL every pick, even though they got versatile Kraig Urbik & A.Q. Ship;ey who got an award for best center the Steelers did not address the OL. Even though the Steelers won 2 superbowls in the past 4 years they are screwed because they didn't take OL every pick. Yep you're right. Nice whining I mean analysis

Texasteel
04-27-2009, 08:09 PM
OK, I am a homer, about 50 people here can tell you that, but I do know the the Steelers kinda like there OL. I have heard more than one of them state that in the past. They just think that they need to work together longer to gel. They also thing that Ben brings some of the problems on himself. I have been as critical of our line as anyone, but to tell you the truth I thought I saw quite a bit of improvment the last few games and in the playoffs. I am by no means an expert, but I think I will give the staff that has given us 2 Super Bowl wins in 4 year the benefit of the dought.

madtowndrunkard
04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
From what I have been reading, the Steelers had Hood targeted for quite a while. IMO they also got the 3rd best interior lineman in the draft. They got a WR that even Ben couldn't over throw. They got a CB that gives very good depth, and a start in a year or two. Would they have pick someone else if they were available? Maybe, I don't really know, and neither do you, but if I were dumb enough to grade a draft one day after its complition I would not do it off of who someone else drafted. Each pick gave needed depth to an ageing or thin position. Depth that will most likely turn into starts probably sooner that you think. I don't know what else you can ask of the Super Bowl Winner.

It's been widely known now that we wanted a center in the first.... when Mack and Wood were off the board we chose Hood. I'm not saying Hood is a bad player. I'm just saying he's not what the FO wanted w/ their first round pick. To me it looks like they guys they targeted were off the board so they took the best available player. Even our D-line coach commented that Hood will not be starting any time soon.

Then again in the 2nd round we tried to move up to get Unger or Levitre. After both of those guys were taken we traded out of the 2nd round.

This is all a well known fact. I'm not saying we didn't want Hood....I'm saying he was not our first or even 2nd choice. Our FO most clearly wanted a center and an OG with our first couple picks. Both players that we got could end up being probowlers...who knows. But the FO has to be disappointed they didn't get the guys they wanted the most.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
i think that half the grades he has on here are bull poopie

madtowndrunkard
04-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Considering our front 3 and Hampton's backup are all 30+, I'd say DL was a need.

Our D-lineman are in their early thirties. Not one of the starting 3 has given any indication at all that their level of play is falling off. If you think a rookie is going to beat out one of our starters on the D-line you are crazy. Even our D-line coach told Tomlin don't expect him to be playing any too soon. Smith, Hampton, and Keisel all easily have at least 2-3 more years of quality play left in them. Only an injury is going to change that.

Yea I agree we could use some depth on the D-line because after our starting 3 we've got no one. So that's why I don't have a big problem w/ the pick. I'm just not thrilled with drafting a guy who's going to be a back up for another 2 years in the first round.

I would have much rather got a center or an OG w/ that first pick....and really the FO agrees with me. They tried to fill those two positions with their first two picks but failed to do so.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I saw this article this morning and I choose not to post it then. The fool of author works for Sporting News which is the group of losers that the "highly respected" and "always accurate" (sarcasm intended) Mike Florio works for.

The author of this piece of garbage is a competent as the Tool Florio is; i.e not at all.

Just ignore them.

paw-n-maul-u
04-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Our D-lineman are in their early thirties. Not one of the starting 3 has given any indication at all that their level of play is falling off. If you think a rookie is going to beat out one of our starters on the D-line you are crazy. Even our D-line coach told Tomlin don't expect him to be playing any too soon. Smith, Hampton, and Keisel all easily have at least 2-3 more years of quality play left in them. Only an injury is going to change that.

Yea I agree we could use some depth on the D-line because after our starting 3 we've got no one. So that's why I don't have a big problem w/ the pick. I'm just not thrilled with drafting a guy who's going to be a back up for another 2 years in the first round.

I would have much rather got a center or an OG w/ that first pick....and really the FO agrees with me. They tried to fill those two positions with their first two picks but failed to do so.

Yes, the D-line coach said "there is no way he could get on the field now" ... but then you get trumped when prior to he states "This guy was the kid I wanted from Day 1".

What offensive lineman was there to reach for? Both centers were gone. A majority of the upper tier tackles.

The pick fits the need, There are some flashier picks that could have been made instead, but they got a four year starter, with a motor, mean streak, versatility, size strength speed, and a great person in general, hard worker, good student, "contagious work ethic"

Hines0wnz
04-28-2009, 10:42 AM

Rating the Raiders ahead of any team on anything is automatic FAIL.

steelax04
04-28-2009, 11:43 AM
its funny kiper gave us a B on espn tonight.

And anyone with hair like that knows wtf he's talking about.

revefsreleets
04-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Sporting News is a good magazine..........for baseball.

Texasteel
04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
It's been widely known now that we wanted a center in the first.... when Mack and Wood were off the board we chose Hood. I'm not saying Hood is a bad player. I'm just saying he's not what the FO wanted w/ their first round pick. To me it looks like they guys they targeted were off the board so they took the best available player. Even our D-line coach commented that Hood will not be starting any time soon.

Then again in the 2nd round we tried to move up to get Unger or Levitre. After both of those guys were taken we traded out of the 2nd round.

This is all a well known fact. I'm not saying we didn't want Hood....I'm saying he was not our first or even 2nd choice. Our FO most clearly wanted a center and an OG with our first couple picks. Both players that we got could end up being probowlers...who knows. But the FO has to be disappointed they didn't get the guys they wanted the most.

Widely known by who? I have read many people on this board and others that have called for a new Center, I was one of them. I have heard several so call experts say we needed a Center. All I have heard the Steelers say is that they are relatively happy with their O-line, even if they had, you should know the draft game by now don't believe everything you hear. They may have infact taken Mack, or Wood for that matter, if they were there, but they weren't. Not being in the War Room I can not tell you what they were thinking, but I can tell you they got one very good player that some did not think would be there when we picked.

ShutDown24
04-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Terrible article. How did the 49ers get a D? They had an EXCELLENT draft.

Also, he contradicts himself more times than I can count. He applauded the Cowboys for trading their first round pick to grab Roy Williams, but then disparaged New Orleans for trading their second to get Jeremy shock. Wtf? He even acknowledged that neither move has paid dividends so what's the deal?

Then, he says Kansas City gets a B- because they got the player they wanted, even if that player didn't deserve to be the number three pick. However, he bashes the Raiders for getting the player they wanted so high in the draft...

I like how he gives a bad grade, then makes positive comments in some cases.

It makes no sense. Horrible writing and researching.

ShutDown24
04-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Widely known by who? I have read many people on this board and others that have called for a new Center, I was one of them. I have heard several so call experts say we needed a Center. All I have heard the Steelers say is that they are relatively happy with their O-line, even if they had, you should know the draft game by now don't believe everything you hear. They may have infact taken Mack, or Wood for that matter, if they were there, but they weren't. Not being in the War Room I can not tell you what they were thinking, but I can tell you they got one very good player that some did not think would be there when we picked.

Great post.

St33lersguy
04-28-2009, 04:02 PM
This intelectually challenged person is a joke and typing his name is worthy of the fun house.

fansince'76
04-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Our D-lineman are in their early thirties. Not one of the starting 3 has given any indication at all that their level of play is falling off.

True, but they're not going to be playing forever either. It's time to begin restocking now, so we're not forced to reach in a panic in a future draft. Besides, remember what happened when Aaron Smith wound up on IR for the last part of the '07 season? It was ugly.

I'm just not thrilled with drafting a guy who's going to be a back up for another 2 years in the first round.

So I guess Timmons was a bad pick too.