PDA

View Full Version : SI's comments on our draft.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Ross Tucker SI
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/04/27/draft.grades/2.html

Giving a draft grade for each team the day after the draft is a fruitless exercise. It takes a minimum of three years before a draft can be revisited and evaluated to determine how productive a team was with its selections. With that caveat, here's my reaction to every team's picks, grouped in categories as opposed to the standard letter grade.

Listed under "Steady as she goes"

Pittsburgh Steelers: The fans in the Steel City like 'em strong and tough and that is exactly what they got with their first two picks in Missouri defensive tackle Ziggy Hood and Wisconsin guard Kraig Urbik. They needed some depth up front and they got that in Hood and Urbik. The Steelers also landed the fastest wide receiver in the draft, Mississippi's Mike Wallace. Cornerbacks Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett will compete for the nickel spot and fill the void left by Bryant McFadden's departure to Arizona.

(Other teams in this category were Colts, Cardinals, Titans, Cheatriots, and Falcons. - mesa)

From Peter Kings MMQB
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/26/draft/2.html

Pittsburgh. Utilitarian draft, with Ziggy Hood coming in to be a starter, eventually, at end instead of 4-3 tackle ... Kraig Urbik (now, doesn't that sounds like a Steeler offensive-line name?) is a brawler who might have to play guard after a tackle career at Wisconsin ... And after losing Nate Washington in free-agency, Steelers picked his deep-threat heir in Mike Wallace of Ole Miss.

Steely McSmash
04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Urik played Guard and Tackle at Wisconsin.

I think you can grade a draft on intentions basically, seeing how the team attempts to meet or ignores it's needs. Working the board can be graded. The rest is a guess.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2009, 11:10 PM
I think its pretty accurate assessment. The only thing is that Peter King is wrong that Urbik played a "tackle career at Wisconsin". I guess Pete couldnt be bothered to watch a Wisconsin game on TV and see #63 at right guard.

Here is what Urbik said in his conf call "I primarily played guard in college but I have shown that I can play tackle in a pinch if needed. I would think primarily that I would be a guard.
http://news.steelers.com/article/104902/

Preacher
04-28-2009, 12:27 AM
See, now THAT is a VERY good assessment of our draft--including what we need, what our team is like, etc.etc.

Steelers & I
04-28-2009, 12:36 AM
From everything that I've read about the Steelers draft, and I would be lying if I said that I knew anything about more than 3 or 4 of the players that the Steelers drafted, I must say that I'm very happy with the choices. The choices, combined with the Steelers needs, made TOTAL SENSE. I've yet to read ANYTHING negative about any of the players that the Steelers drafted so that's also a good sign.

Bravo to the Steelers! :applaudit::applaudit::hatsoff:

55BaileyFan
04-28-2009, 01:05 AM
If there is anything that we could be taught over the years it is that we always draft different than anyone else. We don't take the pretty picks we take the best picks early and the raw talent late. Guys that teams have doubts about we pick and they turn out pretty good. Colbert hasn't missed on too many drafts since he's been in the Burgh.

stillers4me
04-28-2009, 05:40 AM
I'll take "steady as she goes" anyday. We are on the right track (obviously), we just need to make sure can keep plugging in guys as starters go down. Depth, depth, depth. That's what is about and saved our butts last year. "Starters in waiting" as Tomlin calls them.

I like Ross Tucker, I listen to him on NFL radio and he's one of my favorites. don't always agree with him but he's ok.

steelwall
04-28-2009, 06:04 AM
This is the same article they have on Yahoo. The same article were they praise NE and have us near the bottom.

Notice how by not giving us draft credit, they offset it by not saying negative things, only positive things about our choices.... Woopty doo writer...

These F'n writers need to grow some balls. If you honestly think our draft is bad then say it out right. IMO... this article is no different than the countless articles out there right now. Bash on the DL. (down low, not D- line) Just because he didnt give it a grade he thinks he's taking the high ground? (honestly this guy has been reading REAL fan's forums, if you ask me) I read the whole article on Yahoo, and seen how he carefully worded it.