PDA

View Full Version : PSU's Schantz signs deal with NFL's Steelers

mesaSteeler
04-27-2009, 10:49 PM
PSU's Schantz signs deal with NFL's Steelers
by Jim Beseda, The Oregonian
Monday April 27, 2009, 10:30 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/index.ssf/2009/04/psus_schantz_signs_deal_with_n.html

Former Portland State linebacker Andy Schantz signed a free-agent contract with the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers and is expected to report for rookie camp with the reigning Super Bowl champions later this week.

In other free-agent moves involving former Vikings players, cornerback Reggie Jones signed with the New Orleans Saints, and kicker Danny Urrego agreed to terms with the Buffalo Bills.

The 6-foot-1, 235-pound Schantz led the Vikings last season with 115 tackles, including 15 tackles for loss, one interception, and one fumble recovery in 11 games, and was named the team's most valuable player in voting by his teammates.

PSU coach Jerry Glanville said Pittsburgh could be a good fit for the Schantz, because the Steelers' defensive scheme is similar in several ways to what the Vikings have tried to do the past two seasons.

"Pittsburgh didn't draft any linebackers and Andy knows their system," Glanville said. "There are a lot of positive things working in Andy's favor. He has tremendous passion for the game, and one thing about Steelers coach Dick LeBeau is he wants people who love football. So, I think Dick LeBeau will appreciate how important football is to Andy."

Jones, a 6-foot, 200-pound defensive back, played in 10 games for the Vikings last season and was eighth on the team in tackles with 38 and second in interceptions with four.

Urrego set a single-season school record for field goals, connecting on 15 of 23 attempts, including six from between 40-49 yards. He also punted 58 times, averaging 40.5 yards per punt with a long of 72.

Steely McSmash
04-27-2009, 10:56 PM
oh, that PSU...

Psyychoward86
04-27-2009, 10:56 PM
If history has told us anything, it's that Lebeau can make football players. Granted, that's not to say this kid will be a superstar, but let's see what he can do

mesaSteeler
04-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Given the Steelers history with undrafted free agents, FWP and Silverback for example, I never count them out. Granted most of them will not make it but the Steelers have a rare talent for uncovering gems.

KeiselPower99
04-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Jerry Granville the old Falcons coach. I wondered what he was into these days.

55BaileyFan
04-28-2009, 01:58 AM
I said it in an earlier post look for him to be a Patrick Bailey type guy this year. He will make practice squad and then sometime in the season he will get his shot and make the most of it. He loves the game of football and is a workhorse.

jev7452
04-28-2009, 02:27 AM
hmm like the sound of that.. might be a good fit for the defense, we'll see whats happens!

Galax Steeler
04-28-2009, 04:57 AM
It never hurts to bring players in and see what they have some will never make it and some will.