View Full Version : Steelers meet with free agent WR Lelie

mesaSteeler
04-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Steelers meet with free agent WR Lelie
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_622571.html#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Unrestricted free agent Ashley Lelie, among the top deep receiving threats in the NFL, met with Steelers officials Monday and could sign with the team, agent Peter Schaffer said.

"He had a great visit. The Steelers and I are going to continue to have open dialogue," Schaffer said. "I think there's some mutual interest, and we're going to keep discussing it."

A former first-round draft pick by Denver, Lelie's play experienced a sharp decline after being traded to Atlanta in 2006. Lelie demanded a trade after Denver acquired receiver Javon Walker.

From 2002-05 with the Broncos, Lelie (6-foot-3, 195 pounds) had 168 receptions and 12 touchdowns, with an impressive one-fourth of his catches 42 longer than 25 yards. His best season in 2004 produced 54 catches for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns.

In seven pro seasons, Lelie, 29, a tall, rangy receiver with sprinter's speed, has averaged 17.3 yards per catch.

However, during the past three seasons with Atlanta, San Francisco and Oakland, Lelie had a total of 49 catches and three TDs. He missed the last four games in 2008 with Oakland because of a calf injury.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said the Steelers are seeking a replacement for Nate Washington, who was prominent in three-wide receiver sets, and that recent third-round draft pick Mike Wallace will compete for the job.

"We'll just throw him in the mix and the best ones will come out," Arians said of Wallace. "He's a very capable player for that."

Wallace will have to beat out 2008 second-round draft pick Limas Sweed, who will also compete at No. 3 receiver. Neither player has Lelie's track record for making big plays against NFL defenses.

"It was a very productive day for Ashley," Schaffer said. "The Steelers, I think, came away with the same opinion, and we're going to keep an open line of communication."

Rooney wins writers' award

The Professional Football Writers Association of America honored Steelers owner Dan Rooney with its Horrigan Award yesterday, given to the person (not a player or team public relations staffer) who helped the media best do their job last season.

He was joined by Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner (Good Guy Award), Tampa Bay kicker Matt Bryant (Halas Award), the Arizona media relations staff (Rozelle Award) and Sports Illustrated writer Peter King (McCann Award) as honorees.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

KeiselPower99
04-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Ya knew they was gonna find a vetern to compete with all this young guys.

ShutDown24
04-28-2009, 12:35 AM
WOW. This is a big surprise to me. If Steeler fans were annoyed by Washington's "bad" hands - they're going to HATE Lelie's.

Also, he's had some character issues. I actually like him as player, even though he drops 50% of what is thrown at him, but with the character issues I'm surprised they are looking at Lelie.

mesaSteeler
04-28-2009, 12:38 AM
I must admit I'm a little surprised by this as well. It seems the FO is more concerned about our receiving corp than I realized.

The Duke
04-28-2009, 12:49 AM
ugh, Lelie sucks!!

I say stick with the young guys. Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Baker, Nance, Wallace sounds nice to me

tony hipchest
04-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Also, he's had some character issues. I actually like him as player, even though he drops 50% of what is thrown at him, but with the character issues I'm surprised they are looking at Lelie.what are these supposed character issues? ive watched alot of denver games and never came across the impression that he had a case of the "dropsies".

atleast not like the "butterfingers" robinson or "hands of stone" jackson, the seattle bunch ran out a few years back.

lelie and m. furrey are to cheap veteran prospects i would have no problem looking at either of them (cheaper than j. galloway) but not at the expense of pissing away m. wallace.

im thinking the steelers have already come to the conclusion that nance and baker may not be the answer (just like g. russel wasnt at rb).

nothing wrong with that. thats just how the business works.

as far as im concerned, d. baker can go out there and challenge w. reid or c. wilson for a roster spot.

ricksteelers55
04-28-2009, 12:58 AM
As a big fan of the UH Warriors,Id love to see Ashley signing with Steelers,but honnestly I'm not sure it will materialized...

ShutDown24
04-28-2009, 01:15 AM
what are these supposed character issues? ive watched alot of denver games and never came across the impression that he had a case of the "dropsies".

He cried his way out of Denver and I'm pretty sure had a DUI a few years ago. Those aren't necessarily huge character issues, but for the Steelers I think it's a significant mark. Then again, they are talking to him.

As far as drops, if you watched a lot of games then I'm shocked you disagree. He was basically run out of Atlanta and San Francisco because he couldn't hold onto the ball.

Everything considered I'd rather pick up Furrey if management feels we need help that badly at receiver.

LVSteelersfan
04-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Once again looking for camp bodies. Lelie is not worth wasting our time on but he might make Sweed get his act together. Sweed needs to be pushed into being great. If he is not up to it, he will be gone just like Willie Reid.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-28-2009, 01:35 AM
the more competition the better...

bring him in (if the price is right) and let him compete...

Dr. Steel
04-28-2009, 01:36 AM
I say pass on Lelie. Soft and has questionable hands. Let the former 2nd round pick continue to develop and the current third rounder develop. I know Lelie or another vet would just come in to push these young WR's. But I rather see what these two do in camp/preseason before signing a bum like Lelie. If the Steelers feel like these young guys are not ready then make a trade for a vet WR or see if a vet WR gets cut in final cuts and then bring in a vet WR.

Preacher
04-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Baker has had plenty of time to prove himself and hasn't. It's time to cut him loose. I would MUCH rather see Lelie, Sweed, and now Wallace fight it out for the third spot... with the other trailing 4 and 5. With all the throwing we do now a days, there is nothing wrong with keeping these 5 on the roster. Heck, we should probablyh keep a sixth.

55BaileyFan
04-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Ya knew they was gonna find a vetern to compete with all this young guys.

Hmmm, should we sign a receiver that our young guys could run circles around? And that our guys have more talent then?

tony hipchest
04-28-2009, 02:00 AM
He cried his way out of Denver and I'm pretty sure had a DUI a few years ago. .

well... since you are "pretty sure" i will pass along these "character issues" to the front office.

:coffee:

ShutDown24
04-28-2009, 02:26 AM
well... since you are "pretty sure" i will pass along these "character issues" to the front office.

:coffee:

Okay...

On a more relevant note, I think this story is more like that of the Joey Galloway one, or Booger McFarlane a couple of years back. I don't expect much to come of this.

SunshineMan21
04-28-2009, 03:31 AM
I don't expect him to be signed . . .

One of the worst receivers in the league consistently--the guy just can't catch the ball, and has attitude problems. I would much prefer Mike Furrey, and with the drafting of Mike Wallace I doubt they'll bring in Lelie.

Galax Steeler
04-28-2009, 05:05 AM
It seems like we are going to have alot of competion at wr this year. If we get the running game going and our throwing game comes together look out.

fansince'76
04-28-2009, 08:36 AM
what are these supposed character issues?

He has a REAL bad attitude. He pouted his way out of Denver after the Broncos went out and picked up Javon Walker, and he pretty much sucked in Atlanta and Frisco after that. It doesn't say a lot for a WR when the 49ers cut him. He's an at-best mediocre wideout who thinks he's a lot better than he actually is. We can definitely do without this guy, IMO.

The Lakelander
04-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Whatever they do is fine by me. We've had a history of signing veteran WR's recently. Guys like Cedrick Wilson and Quincy Morgan. They are veteran players who can come in and contribute. Nobody expects them to come in and be superstars. But when the "Here we go Steelers, Here we go!" stadium organ begins to bellow its familiar tune on a cold October afternoon, the crowd will cheer loud as these guys are snagging one and moving the chains.

BlastFurnace
04-28-2009, 10:30 AM
WOW. This is a big surprise to me. If Steeler fans were annoyed by Washington's "bad" hands - they're going to HATE Lelie's.

Also, he's had some character issues. I actually like him as player, even though he drops 50% of what is thrown at him, but with the character issues I'm surprised they are looking at Lelie.

If the person with the character issue can help the team, like a James Harrison who punched baby's mother, the Steelers...like every other team will work through that.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-28-2009, 10:52 AM
what are these supposed character issues? .

I think he was arrested for impersonating a first round draft choice.:noidea:

Avoid LLoyd1975
04-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Ashley Lelie is a bust. The Steelers do a great job of training guys up. If he does in fact come here, he had better be ready to get treated like a rookie all over again.

Dino 6 Rings
04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
the more competition the better...

bring him in (if the price is right) and let him compete...

I agree, this is all about pushing the young guys to earn their spot on the roster.

Fire Haley
04-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Yep - Tomlin obviously is not just going to hand Sweed the starting job without making him earn it.

I think that's all this WR talk means. It wouldn't surprise me if they bring in someone to push him.

tony hipchest
04-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Okay...

On a more relevant note, I think this story is more like that of the Joey Galloway one, or Booger McFarlane a couple of years back. I don't expect much to come of this.youre probably right.

It doesn't say a lot for a WR when the 49ers cut him. He's an at-best mediocre wideout who thinks he's a lot better than he actually is. We can definitely do without this guy, IMO.while i agree that we can do without him, i know the 49ers (and cowboys for that matter) sure wish they had antonio bryant back.

while definitely a headcase, the bucs thought enough to franchise him.

lelie is worth a look-see and the steelers will always do their due diligence. im not holding my breath for him to make the squad though.

BlastFurnace
04-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I really have a feeling that Nance is going to have a great camp this year and win that 4th spot.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-28-2009, 11:18 AM
lelie is worth a look-see .

That says it all.

Hines0wnz
04-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I dont particularly like him but if he can push the young guys then I see no harm.

tony hipchest
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
That says it all.
i think he lead the league in YPC (with 20.something) the year we played them in the AFCCG.

he's a burner who still probably has more juice than galloway. and even if we only carry 5 wr's we want the BEST #5 we can get.

i like tomlins approach of leaving no stone left unturned.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-28-2009, 11:32 AM
i think he lead the league in YPC (with 20.something) the year we played them in the AFCCG.

he's a burner who still probably has more juice than galloway. and even if we only carry 5 wr's we want the BEST #5 we can get.

i like tomlins approach of leaving no stone left unturned.

His skill set actually reminds me alot of Nate Washington...except Lelie was allowed to have an attitude on other teams which wouldnt have been tolerated with the Steelers.

Steelerroy
04-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Ward,Holmes,Sweed,M.Wallace.Lelie>Baker and Nance. If we can get him cheap we should sign him.I think he's probably learned his lesson that he'll never be the stud starter he thought he would.It's just a guess but I think he'd be grateful to land with the Super Bowl Champs.Looks like the Steelers are looking for a ton of speed.If we go five wide with those guys teams are gonna have a hard time stopping us.Hell if we go four wide with those guys will still be ridiculously hard to cover.

I really wish people would stop bringing up Baker and Nance.:banging:The only field those guys belong on is the practice field.I've said it before, they are slow as hell and we don't need that.If we want guys catching underneath stuff I think Ward,Miller,Spaeth and Moore can handle that just fine.Those two will never contribute to us in a real game and if they do our roster is in deep trouble.

StainlessStill
04-28-2009, 03:45 PM
It's obvious what we want to do this year. GO DEEP.

SteelersTilIDie
04-28-2009, 04:02 PM
ugh, Lelie sucks!!

I say stick with the young guys. Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Baker, Nance, Wallace sounds nice to me

I'd wrather have Lelie than Baker

Rek
04-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Getting away from the running game perhaps?

Steelman16
04-28-2009, 04:20 PM
We're only "meeting" with him. It's not like they actually "signed" the guy. We "met" with Galloway too.

St33lersguy
04-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah um..... no thank you. We have enough currnt WRs plus there is no room for this draft bust. I think I'm gonna have to pass on this one

St33lersguy
04-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Ward,Holmes,Sweed,M.Wallace.Lelie>Baker and Nance. If we can get him cheap we should sign him.I think he's probably learned his lesson that he'll never be the stud starter he thought he would.It's just a guess but I think he'd be grateful to land with the Super Bowl Champs.Looks like the Steelers are looking for a ton of speed.If we go five wide with those guys teams are gonna have a hard time stopping us.Hell if we go four wide with those guys will still be ridiculously hard to cover.

I really wish people would stop bringing up Baker and Nance.:banging:The only field those guys belong on is the practice field.I've said it before, they are slow as hell and we don't need that.If we want guys catching underneath stuff I think Ward,Miller,Spaeth and Moore can handle that just fine.Those two will never contribute to us in a real game and if they do our roster is in deep trouble.

Just remember that speed doesn't win championships. Did Al Davis brainwash you?:chuckle:

Steelerroy
04-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Just remember that speed doesn't win championships. Did Al Davis brainwash you?:chuckle:

I realise that but when you can (possibly) sign a wr of his physical talent to be your 3rd,4th or even 5th wr then you should def think about doing it.Al Davis is a jackass and is living in the 70's,that's not what we're talking about here.We have two starters with great hands and a tight end with em as well.But if you can get a mismatch against 3rd and 4th corners as well as safeties then you can get Ward,Holmes,Miller and your running backs even more free space underneath.I could careless if we sign him but if anyone thinks Baker and Nance are better they are out of their minds.:rofl:

madtowndrunkard
04-29-2009, 11:35 PM
I think Lelie would be a great signing.

Everyone is calling him a bust, but I think people need to keep in mind were he played. Every team he's been on is were WR's go to die. Look at some of those QB's he's had throwing to him. Look at those offenses. They are all terrible teams. I think he might be better then what many think. In our offense he's not going to put up huge numbers, but he could do better then Washington IMO. He's a legit deep threat w/ plenty of upside. I say why not.

IMO this also speaks volumes to what the coaching staff thinks about Sweed.

TheSteelCurtain
04-30-2009, 02:17 AM
I really hope sweed and wallace can make a impact but i would be open to see what lelie can do.

madtowndrunkard
04-30-2009, 10:04 AM
After we sign Lelie or some other veteran WR don't be shocked if we go after a veteran CB next.

I see three positions on this team were a FA veteran would make sense......WR, CB, and Center. All three positions have rookies competing for back up jobs. So why not bring in a cheap veteran to compete w/ these rookies. We have no way of knowing if any of these rookies are up to the job. So the safe thing would be to bring in a vet....if the rookie is good then cut the veteran.

The FO is thinking SB ring for 2009. There will be plenty of good older vets who will be cut this spring/summer. They'll want to sign on w/ a team that gives them a chance to win a SB ring. I think we'll get a lot of interest from FA's willing to sign for the minimum later this summer.

The Duke
04-30-2009, 12:32 PM
After we sign Lelie or some other veteran WR don't be shocked if we go after a veteran CB next.

I see three positions on this team were a FA veteran would make sense......WR, CB, and Center. All three positions have rookies competing for back up jobs. So why not bring in a cheap veteran to compete w/ these rookies. We have no way of knowing if any of these rookies are up to the job. So the safe thing would be to bring in a vet....if the rookie is good then cut the veteran.

The FO is thinking SB ring for 2009. There will be plenty of good older vets who will be cut this spring/summer. They'll want to sign on w/ a team that gives them a chance to win a SB ring. I think we'll get a lot of interest from FA's willing to sign for the minimum later this summer.

hmm....don't think so. they already signed ratliff, who could work very well as the 4th CB, plus they drafted 2 cbs

only position I think they bring someone is center. kind of like when hartwig got cut last year