PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Cutting Larry Foote?

ajs8207
04-28-2009, 10:46 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/steelers-cutting-larry-foote/

Thoughts?

gosteelers38
04-28-2009, 10:50 AM
That would be a bad move IMO. You can nver have to much depth at any position. The only reason I could see would be to save money. Timmons is ready also.

Hines0wnz
04-28-2009, 10:50 AM
He's a productive starter from a SB winning team. I hope they would get something before the Cardinals pick him up.

Fire Haley
04-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Do it.

We need something to talk about during the next 3 month dry-spell before camp starts.

Shoes
04-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Looks like it may happen.....I'll be happy to see Timmons start.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Preacher
04-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Do it.

We need something to talk about during the next 3 month dry-spell before camp starts.

:chuckle:

Naaa. I say keep him. Let Timmons put the effort into beating him out in camp.

devilsdancefloor
04-28-2009, 11:09 AM
i hope not! depth at ILB is needed even if he backs up timmons we need him

fansince'76
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Thoughts?

Will this happen before or after we trade James Harrison and make a trade with the Bills to get Roscoe Parrish? :rolleyes:

PFT = National Enquirer of the NFL.

Dino 6 Rings
04-28-2009, 11:15 AM
It would have made more sense to trade him on Draft Day or prior to the Draft to move up in the first or second round.

BlastFurnace
04-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Nooooooooooooo!!!!

But....I will trust.

Wonder what number the Cardinals will give him.

steeltheone
04-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Timmons beat him out last year. He started only because of his veteran status.

steelreserve
04-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Why would we do that? Foote still makes plays for us on a regular basis. At least have him play out his contract.

If we were looking to cut salary, I can think of a few other guys who are expendable and don't produce very much, including a fullback who can't run, catch or block ... as well as a certain tailback who can't run, catch or block and has a cap hit of $4.5 million this year.

Also, penis.

Dino 6 Rings
04-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Its not a big suprise really, we talked about this after the season. And when Farrior got his new deal, Foote seemed to be the odd man out. Especially with Timmons in the wings. The "I'd love to play in Detroit" thing even came out so really, not shocked at all.

They probably did try to move him on Draft day but got no bites because knew that we'd most likely cut him, and they could pick him up on the cheap instead of giving anything up for him.

rbryan
04-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Just another in a long line of tough decisions that will have to be made in the next year.

I like Foote, but someone has to go. I would think we could get at least a mid-late rd draft pick until I read this, no ones going to give us anything now.

I love WP, but I'm surprised he hasn't been traded while he still has value. Regardless of what he's meant and done for the team in the past, I'm just not sure he has much left.

revefsreleets
04-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Will this happen before or after we trade James Harrison and make a trade with the Bills to get Roscoe Parrish? :rolleyes:

PFT = National Enquirer of the NFL.

Enquirer is sometimes right.

Try PFT= World Weekly News of the NFL

StainlessStill
04-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Word to the wise... don't ever listen to PFT.

Regarding Foote.. it's his time to go, whether it be this year or next year. More likely next year since it's likely he'll play out his contract. We have some depth, and Timmons is ready to start ASAP. Also with the signing of Fox, and addition to Andre Frazier who can play multiple positions, I think we are sitting good at linebacker at the moment. Like Ed Bouchette said, don't be surprised if someone steps up to fill a role of a Jerry Oslawsky, who gave some great years at the position if need be, because we have great talent in the linebacking core. If Foote is to go, look for the Steelers to address the middle linebacking position in next years draft, but as we stand now, I think we're in good company at the position.

scsteeler
04-28-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't know if this is true but the only reason I see a move like this is to free up money.

trauben
04-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Okay, I read the title and thought, "WTF???!!!"

Then I open the thread and see a link to pro football talk. :doh:

I stopped right there. No need to go further or read this thread!

ajs8207? You better learn where to read the real stuff and where NOT to read!

Don't scare me like that again! :buttkick:

Steely McSmash
04-28-2009, 12:21 PM
I hope this is false.

No point in cutting him unless they're bringing in Ashly Lelie. With Hines's re-structure they are ok cap wise I thought. I'd rather keep Foote, let him go next year for a comp pick or trade him and get something. There's no point in cutting starters unless nobody would take them for a 7th rounder at least.

Carolina Steelers
04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
KDKA reports Foote has been realeased

SunshineMan21
04-28-2009, 12:35 PM
This doesn't really make sense. Cutting Foote might work from a football standpoint because Timmons is more than ready to start, but he certainly has value, and we could have easily gotten a mid-round pick for him.

It's not like we just acquired his replacement, so if we knew he was gone why didn't we get something for him?

Fire Haley
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Steelers release Foote

Rumors became reality Tuesday as the Pittsburgh Steelers released starting inside linebacker Larry Foote, a seven-year veteran.[/B]

AFC North blog

It had been rumored for much of the offseason that Foote, made extraneous by the emergence of two-year veteran and former first-round pick Lawrence Timmons, would be either traded or released. It is believed the Steelers attempted to trade Foote during the NFL draft last weekend.

A seven-year veteran, Foote is still a productive defender at only 28 years old. But a combination of economics and the urgency to move Timmons into the starting lineup led to his release.

His resume includes 110 games, and 83 starts, including two Super Bowl victories. Foote has played in all 16 games for six straight seasons and started all 16 contests each of the past five years. The former University of Michigan standout is considered a strong player against the run but usually left the field in nickel situations.

The fact that Foote was scheduled to earn a base salary of $2.885 million in 2009, a steep price to pay for a player projected as a reserve, was certainly a factor in the decision to release him. Foote had a salary cap figure of $3.5 million for 2009. The Steelers will have his base salary of $2.885 million refunded into their '09 cap.

Pittsburgh is typically tight against the spending limit and can sorely use the funds provided by Foote's release. Last week the Steelers had to release tailback Gary Russell in order to have enough cap room to sign backup quarterback Charlie Batch.

Timmons was the team's first-round draft choice in 2007. He spent much of 2008 as the nickel linebacker and an occasional blitzer, two roles in which he excelled. It was generally considered that Timmons, who had 65 tackles and five sacks last season, was ready to break into the starting lineup.

In six seasons, Foote posted 431 tackles, 14 sacks, three interceptions, 11 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and four recoveries.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4107676

trauben
04-28-2009, 12:38 PM
KDKA reports Foote has been realeased

Really? I just looked at their website

http://kdka.com/steelers/

Theres nothing there!

trauben
04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
I just searched google for "larry foot released" and still nothing.

scsteeler
04-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Report: Steelers release linebacker Larry Foote
Posted by Philip Zaroo | MLive.com April 28, 2009 12:11PM
Categories: Breaking News

This one's going to blow the roof off of Detroit Lions-ville.

After months of talk about the Pittsburgh Steelers releasing linebacker Larry Foote, reports are that the teams has actually cut the linebacker.

ProFootballTalk, April 27: With the Steelers dumping veteran linebacker Larry Foote, the uncharacteristically cap-strapped defending Super Bowl champs will clear $2.885 million in 2009 salary space.

Foote has started every game for five straight years. In 2008, he had his lowest output of that half-decade run, with only 63 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

Foote was interested in finishing his career with the Lions, according to a close friend. But the Detroit native, who played at Michigan, refuted those rumors days later.

I looks as if this may be true.

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2009/04/report_steelers_release_lineba.html

Fire Haley
04-28-2009, 12:40 PM
look up

trauben
04-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Nothing at the Post-Gazzette's site either.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/

trauben
04-28-2009, 12:43 PM
That's a blog referencing the pro football site again.

Carolina Steelers
04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Really? I just looked at their website

http://kdka.com/steelers/

Theres nothing there!

A got a text message like 10 mins. ago. from KDKA

tony hipchest
04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
this really sucks. :dang: not that we lost l. foote but that PFT was right. :chuckle:

we better not have done this so we can give a. lelie a deal. :doh:

what happened to the cap space we got from hines ward and ike taylor? did it just freaking evaporate?

i know ratliff couldnt have cost that much. the only thing i can think is we actually increased james harrisons cap hit for this season (i think i read he costs 6 mil) as opposed to pushing it into the future.

maybe we can turn Eazy E Hood into the next l. kirkland to back up timmons.

but damn, how good are we, that we can just kick starting LB's like foote and porter to the curb?

trauben
04-28-2009, 12:49 PM
A got a text message like 10 mins. ago. from KDKA

Text them back then and tell them to update their site!

I just made all the rounds.

There is not one thing on any of the three television stations' websites here in the Burgh (KDKA, WTAE and WPXI).

There is nothing on the newspapers sites either (PG or Trib's).

There is nothing on the Steelers official website nor the NFL's.

The only reference given in this entire thread is coming from the PFT and people blogging about it and referencing PFT. :coffee:

austinfrench76
04-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I agree that Foote should go BUT why realease him and not trade him?! He's the starting ILB from the best defense in football on the Superbowl Cahmpionship team and he doesn't have a huge salary. He HAD to have some kind of trade value.

trauben
04-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Okay, now I believe it.

I, unfortunately found it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4107676

Carolina Steelers
04-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Updated: April 28, 2009, 1:46 PM ET
Steelers release FooteComment Email Print Share By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Archive
Rumors became reality Tuesday as the Pittsburgh Steelers released starting inside linebacker Larry Foote, a seven-year veteran.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

trauben
04-28-2009, 12:56 PM
If I recall correctly, Foote was quoted after the super bowl as stating that he wanted to go play for his hometown the Lions.

If he ends up there or not, I wish him well.

Thanks for XXL and XXLIII Larry! :thmbup:

tony hipchest
04-28-2009, 12:58 PM
it was actually larrys buddy who was quoted as saying he wanted to go back home. foote said it was BS.

trauben
04-28-2009, 12:59 PM
I feel like I did when I heard JPeezy was gone.

:poop:

SteelStang
04-28-2009, 01:06 PM
As a lifelong UM and Steelers fan I am sad to see him go. We all know this is a business and these things happen, but I wonder about his presence in the LR and the timing of this. He seemed to be very well liked and was a high-energy guy on the field. I'm also a little confused about TImmons filling in him for him. Seems LT is much more of an OLB versus playing the middle.
I hope LF has good luck where ever he goes.:clover:

Fire Haley
04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Steelers to release linebacker Larry Foote

Tuesday, April 28, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers plan to release starting linebacker Larry Foote, the Post-Gazette confirmed today.

ProFootballtalk.com, citing a league source, broke the story late this morning and sources confirmed it for the Post-Gazette.

In a mysterious twist, however, the release is not planned over the next several days and Foote will be kept on the roster for this weekend's required minicamp, sources said.

Foote has one year left on his contract that was scheduled to pay him a salary of $2,885,000 in 2009. There was much speculation leading up to the Super Bowl that the Steelers might release him because of that salary and because 2007 first-round draft choice Lawrence Timmons is behind him.

However, coach Mike Tomlin said shortly after the season that he wanted to keep Foote around and had no plans to release him.

Foote, a fourth-round draft pick from Michigan in 2002, has been a starter at inside linebacker since 2004. He said during the Super Bowl week that he would not take a salary cut in 2009 to remain with the Steelers, and there were reports he wanted to play for his hometown Detroit Lions if he were released.

Foote did not attend the team's first two voluntary workouts last week. His agent, Ken Kremer, said at the time he was working out in Detroit and planned to attend this weekend's minicamps. Kremer also said there had been no contract discussions between him and the Steelers

lilyoder6
04-28-2009, 01:14 PM
to bad.. they couldn't find a trading partner for foote

fansince'76
04-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Good luck to Larry. :drink:

BlastFurnace
04-28-2009, 01:24 PM
I would have never believed he would be a better LB'er than Kendrell Bell.

Best wishes to you Larry.

I wonder what number the Cardinals will give him.

rbryan
04-28-2009, 01:24 PM
He'll get a nice deal. Someone will pay for a veteran starter with 2 SB rings.

The Definiti0n
04-28-2009, 01:30 PM
THE LAWRENCE TIMMONS ERA HAS BEGUN

Fire Haley
04-28-2009, 01:33 PM
He said during the Super Bowl week that he would not take a salary cut in 2009 to remain with the Steelers

well there ya go - have fun in Detroit

trauben
04-28-2009, 01:35 PM
And Hines did! I love Hines man! Still my #1 Steeler!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2009, 01:35 PM
So who is gonna be the backup ILB's?? Keyaron Fox, Donovan Woods, Patrick Bailey???

Good luck Larry.

Edman
04-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Is Mike Humpal still on the team? I sure hope so. Now there's nobody behind Timmons and Farrior.

Good Luck to Larry. You've been a class player on and off the field.

The Lakelander
04-28-2009, 01:39 PM
THE LAWRENCE TIMMONS ERA HAS BEGUN

It began last year :popcorn:

SteelMember
04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Is Mike Humpal still on the team? I sure hope so. Now there's nobody behind Timmons and Farrior.

Good Luck to Larry. You've been a class player on and off the field.

I believe he was released with an injury settlement.

So who is gonna be the backup ILB's?? Keyaron Fox, Donovan Woods, Patrick Bailey???

Good luck Larry.

Fox was a good special teams player for us, and he definately has the right attitude.

Foote was a 4th rd pick in '02. He had a good Steeler careeer, but it looks like we needed his money to sign some new rookie contracts.

Good Luck Larry. :drink:

steelreserve
04-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Oh, good, now one injury and Bruce Davis is a starter.

Seriously, why him and not Parker?

wootawnee
04-28-2009, 02:04 PM
BIg Foote was a huge part of our d.........He Played all the cut backs........He was a huge vocal leader.........He was excellent in pass coverage........... He was a perfect role player like Jack Ham was.......He was just a superbowl champion.........We will surely miss the big foote stomp after a big play.......We will miss you Brother.....http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/372511978_caeaf3d1a6.jpg?v=0http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/ca/fullj.5909594e10624ee9752bbb80ecacb0ab/5909594e10624ee9752bbb80ecacb0ab-getty-80670228mh288_super_bowl_xl.jpghttp://blog.mlive.com/wolverinesfootball_impact/2008/07/medium_080725-larry-foote.jpg

AllD
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
The Cards or Pats will pick him up.

55BaileyFan
04-28-2009, 02:16 PM
It most likely will happen. If you think about it Timmons will start, Fox and Bailey will back him up and then that gives people like rookie free agent Schantz, Harrison, or Davis to slide inside. I think that Schantz will make the roster and possibly be a backup.

steeltheone
04-28-2009, 02:16 PM
He was very average in pass coverage. He was better at stopping the run. He will not be a Patriot.

GeneralRobinson
04-28-2009, 02:17 PM
LB Larry Foote says he would like to become a Lion
By MICHAEL ROSENBERG FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER DETROIT FREE PRESS April 28, 2009

Larry Foote wants to play for his hometown Lions.

Aint no doubt about that, Foote said from his home in Michigan today, after he learned that the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers plan to release him. I would love to come home. My family is here. I just bought a house here. It would be great. And just to answer critics: Im not a veteran trying to come home and cash out on my hometown team. Im a baller first. I wouldnt sacrifice that for nothing.

Before Lions fans get too excited, though, please understand: this is hypothetical.

I would love to come home, but whoever wants me, thats who Im going to start with first, Foote said.

Foote, who played at Detroit Pershing and Michigan, started every game for the Steelers in the last five years and helped Pittsburgh win two Super Bowls. He turns 29 in June, and he was only released for financial reasons and because the Steelers have a talented replacement, Lawrence Timmons, on the roster.

Im actually happy, Foote said. Id be a little more happy if they did it in February, but it all worked out. The last couple of years, they got me locked into a certain role where, quite frankly, I couldnt grow from it anymore. As a football player, I was tired of that situation. Im a three-down linebacker, and they tried to turn me into a two-down linebacker, take me off the field in passing situations. I dont want to be sitting back in a role, knowing I could do more.

It gives me a fresh start, a new opportunity to show myself. There is a lot of football left inside of me. Quite frankly, I dont know if people have seen the best of me because Ive been locked up the last couple of years.

Because of his age and talent level, Foote would seem to be attractive to the Lions, who desperately need linebacker help. But the Lions play a 4-3 defense, and the Steelers play a 3-4, so the Lions would have to decide whether Foote would fit their scheme. He said today he envisions himself as a middle linebacker but I can play outside if necessary.

As for the Lions

I dont necessarily say thats my first choice, but if its a tie with other teams, the Lions are definitely going to win, he said. But Im getting a lot of calls from other teams as we speak now.

Foote added that, ideally, he would like to sign with somebody as soon as possible. A lot of teams are doing minicamps this week. I would want to get in there and learn the playbook.

But Foote might not be able to sign anywhere too quickly. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers don't plan to officially release him until after this weekend's minicamp.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090428/SPORTS01/90428065/LB+Larry+Foote+says+he+would+like+to+become+a+Lion

Seems to be no hard feelings. Anybody understand why he will not be officially released until after minicamp?

SteelerFanInCA
04-28-2009, 02:18 PM
I just hope we don't get burned by this move. Burned in regards to LB depth.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
It most likely will happen. If you think about it Timmons will start, Fox and Bailey will back him up and then that gives people like rookie free agent Schantz, Harrison, or Davis to slide inside. I think that Schantz will make the roster and possibly be a backup.

With the knowledge that they would let Foote go...I have to wonder why they didnt grab Brinkley...he was a steal at #150 in the 5th round, and would be a solid inside run stuffer.:noidea:

StainlessStill
04-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Relax, the writing was on the wall for Foote (average at best) whether it was this year or next year. He was small in the middle and got DRAGGED way to often by fullbacks and halfbacks. He was a smart player but was far from explosive. He was a player that held down the position tight, but is EASILY replaceable, and now with Timmons starting, he brings an element of explosiveness that we've been waiting for when dealing with any assignment.

Foote's best area was blitzing. He was a helluva blitzer that timed the snap perfectly, but unfortunately for him, he has a guy behind him drafted #1, and with tons of athletic ability that Foote doesn't have. Plus, Foote was never a hard hitter, just vocal was good enough to keep his job since there was noone there to push him.

Good luck to Foote wherever he goes... enjoy Detroit:tt03:

Vincent
04-28-2009, 02:31 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_622680.html

I don't understand why we don't trade these guys for SOME value. :banging:

ANY draft pick would be better than just releasing our players without compensation.

StainlessStill
04-28-2009, 02:35 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_622680.html

I don't understand why we don't trade these guys for SOME value. :banging:

ANY draft pick would be better than just releasing our players without compensation.

Noone wanted him.

A tid-bit from the post Gazette.

Sources close to Foote say he wants to continue his career as a starting linebacker where he can play more often and asked the Steelers to accommodate him. After reportedly finding no offers in a trade, sources on the club say they plan to release him sometime after this weekend's minicamp, which Foote will not attend.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09118/966120-100.stm

lilyoder6
04-28-2009, 02:39 PM
maybe u became a 2 down back b/c u were a good cover lb and last yr timmons showed he can cover better than u..

it is what it is tho.. he got 2 rings.. and will be on his merry way

tyler289
04-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Good luck to Foote, he will be missed.

Steel Head
04-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Foote started 83 consecutive games for us, that is pretty impressive

good luck Foote

scsteeler
04-28-2009, 02:52 PM
This may have already been stated but I think the Steelers asked Foote to renegotiate his current contract like Ward to make room to sign other players and he refused which has now caused him to be released. The Steelers wanted to keep him but also needed cap room for other players. I wish Foote well!

Rek
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I like Foote, he did well for us, but his release is not that big of a surprise...

steelreserve
04-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Sources close to Foote say he wants to continue his career as a starting linebacker where he can play more often and asked the Steelers to accommodate him. After reportedly finding no offers in a trade, sources on the club say they plan to release him sometime after this weekend's minicamp, which Foote will not attend.

See, this is why it's best not to telegraph your intentions. People won't give you anything when they know full well all they have to do is wait for you to cut the guy.

SunshineMan21
04-28-2009, 03:49 PM
See, this is why it's best not to telegraph your intentions. People won't give you anything when they know full well all they have to do is wait for you to cut the guy.

I agree . . . I wish our FO was as good at things like this as they are at talent evaluation.

I don't think, from a football perspective, that this hurts us much, if at all. Foote was a very solid player in his prime, and he won't have a problem finding a starting job. However, Timmons is better, and Foote was keeping him off of the field. The move makes sense, but it seems like for the quality of player Foote is, we should have been able to get at least a mid-round pick for him. And if salary-cap issues were to blame, how did it make sense to franchise Starks?

Then again, Tim Ruskell just released LeRoy Hill, so maybe the trade market for LBs is just dead . . . I just really don't want to use this money to sign someone crappy like Lelie.

In any case, best of luck to Larry--a solid starter for two Super Bowl teams, I hope he gets the chance to go home and help rebuild the Lions.

Boy, a Lions LB corps of Sims--Foote--Peterson with Delmas at SS would kick the ass of the guys they've been using the past few years.

OneForTheToe
04-28-2009, 03:50 PM

True. The thing is thought there are no secrets in the NFL. Because we are always tight against the cap, teams know we are going to release these guys and that is why there is no trade value. It was the same the with Faneca in his last season. Why give up a valuable draft pick for a guy who will be released anyways?

revefsreleets
04-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Hmmpf! PFT got one right...

How's Laurinaitis looking right now, haters?

We have exactly one back-up ILB right now in Keyaron Fox.

Balls of Steel
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Damn, oh well time to retire my Foote jersey.

tony hipchest
04-28-2009, 04:22 PM
larry foote to replace bart scott in baltimore?

:scratchchin:

KeiselPower99
04-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Only thing I can think of is cap space.

fansince'76
04-28-2009, 04:35 PM
True. The thing is thought there are no secrets in the NFL. Because we are always tight against the cap, teams know we are going to release these guys and that is why there is no trade value. It was the same the with Faneca in his last season. Why give up a valuable draft pick for a guy who will be released anyways?

How can that be, when the Rooneys are so cheap? :chuckle:

OneForTheToe
04-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Hmmpf! PFT got one right...

How's Laurinaitis looking right now, haters?

We have exactly one back-up ILB right now in Keyaron Fox.

I seem to remember reading about Arnold Harrison practicing at inside backer. I like A. Harison if he can stay healthy.

OneForTheToe
04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
How can that be, when the Rooneys are so cheap? :chuckle:

Shhhh .... that is secret information that they are not. We don't want to interfere in some fans right to live in ignorant bliss.:wink02:

KeiselPower99
04-28-2009, 04:54 PM
"Contrary to media reports, Larry Foote is still a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers,'' said Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations.

steelreserve
04-28-2009, 05:01 PM
The move makes sense, but it seems like for the quality of player Foote is, we should have been able to get at least a mid-round pick for him. And if salary-cap issues were to blame, how did it make sense to franchise Starks?

Well, maybe we will get a mid-round compensatory pick, at least. Same for McFadden and Washington (does he count?) although I'll bet we get screwed as usual on that front.

Starks ... don't get me started on Starks, because the franchise tag doesn't make sense. Foote is the second casualty of the Starks contract; McFadden was the first. If someone had given you the choice in February of keeping Foote and McFadden and either getting a cheap veteran or a draft pick at tackle ... or keeping Starks and spending two draft picks trying to come up with a corner this year and two more on replacement linebackers next year, which option would you have taken?

steelreserve
04-28-2009, 05:02 PM
I seem to remember reading about Arnold Harrison practicing at inside backer. I like A. Harison if he can stay healthy.

Dude ... that guy gets knee injuries like he invented it.

OneForTheToe
04-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Dude ... that guy gets knee injuries like he invented it.

:coffee:

I think the Steelers will be ok, but of course we won't know until the season plays out. Invariably, there is one position where a rash of injuries seem to breakout, but who knows where it will be. Last year it was at running back. Hopefully we avoid it next season.

Steelman16
04-28-2009, 05:18 PM
This doesn't seem to be completely official yet, but we're gonna miss Foote. I love Timmons and what he brings with his freakish athleticism, but Foote lent a sense of stability to stopping the run.

If he's cut, we'll have to find a suitable backup for the inside. Farrior's getting older, and aside from Timmons we'll have nobody else to man the middle.

I don't think Davis can play inside, but maybe Fraizer or Bailey could learn.

So long Foote, you'll be missed. :drink:

fansince'76
04-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Invariably, there is one position where a rash of injuries seem to breakout, but who knows where it will be. Last year it was at running back. Hopefully we avoid it next season.

ZOMFG!!!!1111!!!! its gunna bee ben hoo gits hert cause we dint traid up too git mack!!!!

:toofunny:

LVSteelersfan
04-28-2009, 05:42 PM
I don't understand releasing him, but Foote was becoming a liability back there as far as I'm concerned. A little too slow of foot to keep up with WRs coming across the middle and fast RBs would run right past him. Timmons showed what he could do when he dropped back in coverage and got his INT last year. Foote would have been nowhere near that play.

Steelman16
04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
ZOMFG!!!!1111!!!! its gunna bee ben hoo gits hert cause we dint traid up too git mack!!!!

:toofunny:

:laughing:

Edman
04-28-2009, 06:30 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/105143/

The Steelers are saying Foote was not cut.

Kaeg
04-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Just saw on NFL network. They are denying releasing Foote, but seem to be open to the possibility if they can get something for him.

ShutDown24
04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I would have liked to have gotten something in return for him, but that doesn't seem realistic now that it's been rumoured we don't want him bad enough to cut him. Why trade for him when you may be able to sign him if you wait it out?

fordfan485
04-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Official Steelers Statement on Larry Foote Reports

“Contrary to published reports, Larry Foote is still a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Any stories indicating that Larry has been released by the team are inaccurate.”

-- Steelers Communications Coordinator Dave Lockett

OneForTheToe
04-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if his agent started the rumor.

Steely McSmash
04-28-2009, 08:01 PM
I would have liked to have gotten something in return for him, but that doesn't seem realistic now that it's been rumoured we don't want him bad enough to cut him. Why trade for him when you may be able to sign him if you wait it out?

because then you don't have to be the team that Foote wants to go to,competing with other teams and you don't have to negotiate a contract and pay a salary bonus.

I'll be kind of miffed if they release him for nothing. Keep him around and someone will get hurt somewhere and he'll have value. We traded Mahan late in training camp and got the pick to pick up Shipley this year. There's a statement on the Steelers website saying that he's not been cut -- damage control to keep the pressure on.

If the FO knew all this during the draft and they didn't pick up anyone, they must think a good bit of Fox or someone they think they can slide inside. They did sign some UDFA guys...

StainlessStill
04-28-2009, 09:04 PM
larry foote to replace bart scott in baltimore?

:scratchchin:

That would be GREAT! I'd love to see Mendenhall drag his ass as often as he was dragged in the middle for us. All this Foote love leaves me scratchin' my head. I felt he was the weak link and was lucky enough to be part of an 11 man pack of wolves.

steel9guy
04-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Lawerence Timmons is the new LT!!!!!!!

nort10
04-29-2009, 04:55 AM
http://news.steelers.com/article/105143/

i think foot is still here

no report from NFL.com either...