PDA

View Full Version : Arlen Specter = proven idiot

trauben
04-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Arlen Specter Statement on Switching Parties
Posted:
04/28/09

Sen. Arlen Specter has just announced in his Washington Senate office that he will switch from the Republican Party to the Democratic Party. His move gives Democrats 59 votes in the Senate....

Specter put out the following statement today:

I have been a Republican since 1966. I have been working extremely hard for the Party, for its candidates and for the ideals of a Republican Party whose tent is big enough to welcome diverse points of view. While I have been comfortable being a Republican, my Party has not defined who I am. I have taken each issue one at a time and have exercised independent judgment to do what I thought was best for Pennsylvania and the nation.

Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans.

When I supported the stimulus package, I knew that it would not be popular with the Republican Party. But, I saw the stimulus as necessary to lessen the risk of a far more serious recession than we are now experiencing.

Since then, I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate. I have not represented the Republican Party. I have represented the people of Pennsylvania.

I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary.

I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for re-election determined in a general election.

I deeply regret that I will be disappointing many friends and supporters. I can understand their disappointment. I am also disappointed that so many in the Party I have worked for for more than four decades do not want me to be their candidate. It is very painful on both sides. I thank specially Senators McConnell and Cornyn for their forbearance.

I am not making this decision because there are no important and interesting opportunities outside the Senate. I take on this complicated run for re-election because I am deeply concerned about the future of our country and I believe I have a significant contribution to make on many of the key issues of the day, especially medical research. NIH funding has saved or lengthened thousands of lives, including mine, and much more needs to be done. And my seniority is very important to continue to bring important projects vital to Pennsylvania's economy.

I am taking this action now because there are fewer than thirteen months to the 2010 Pennsylvania Primary and there is much to be done in preparation for that election. Upon request, I will return campaign contributions contributed during this cycle.

While each member of the Senate caucuses with his Party, what each of us hopes to accomplish is distinct from his party affiliation. The American people do not care which Party solves the problems confronting our nation. And no Senator, no matter how loyal he is to his Party, should or would put party loyalty above his duty to the state and nation.

My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans. Unlike Senator Jeffords' switch which changed party control, I will not be an automatic 60th vote for cloture. For example, my position on Employees Free Choice (Card Check) will not change.

Whatever my party affiliation, I will continue to be guided by President Kennedy's statement that sometimes Party asks too much. When it does, I will continue my independent voting and follow my conscience on what I think is best for Pennsylvania and America.How dare he use the part I quote up above in red as a "sign of the times!" :mad:

I was one of those 200,000 PA Republicans who "switched" to Democrat, but that was FOR THE PRIMARY VOTE IDIOT! We switched to vote for Hillary and to try to swing this state for McCain! How about mentioning the number of Dems who used to be Reps who switched back AFTER the primaries were over? :banging:

I have never liked this guy. Talk about a sell out. :pity:

PisnNapalm
04-28-2009, 01:03 PM
F-H I M !!!

He knows he's out on his ass if he tries to run on the GOP ticket. So now he'll try to squeak in as a Dem?? F-HIM

trauben
04-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Don't be shy, tell us how you really feel PisnNapalm! :wink02:

But you have to admit, he's acted more like a Dem all these years anyway. It's about time he shows his true colors.

rbryan
04-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Next he'll be switching to a patsie fan.

PisnNapalm
04-28-2009, 01:25 PM
This is the letter I fired off to his office after reading about his switch.

Dear Soon to be just Mr. Specter,

Well it's about damn time you showed your true colors. I just read today that you were switching to the Democrat party. Congratulations! You've finally figured out what alot of us Republicans have known for quite sometime now.

I guaran-damn-tee we won't forget you in the general election. You better promise the effing world to Philthadelphia and Pittsburgh because you sure aren't going to win anywhere else in PA.

Do Pennsylvania a favor and just retire. Haven't you done enough damage lately?

Sincerely,

trauben
04-28-2009, 01:33 PM
You better promise the fu cking world to Philthadelphia and Pittsburgh because you sure aren't going to win anywhere else in PA.

Hey now! I'm in Pittsburgh and that rag has never received my vote! :wave: :wink02:

X-Terminator
04-28-2009, 01:42 PM
What I'd like to know is what makes him think it's going to be any better for him in the Democratic Party? All he has to do is look at what happened to the Blue Dog Dems who opposed the stimulus package to see how they treat those who do not walk in lockstep with the majority.

SCSTILLER
04-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Was this really that great a surprise to anyone? The only thing that made Specter a republican was the (R) after his name on CSPAN. Fine, switch, PA will hopefully get a real republican in there that actually cares about us Bible toting, gun loving rednecks, and every other constituant also who hopefully will not vote as Philly votes!

The Patriot
04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
How dare he use the part I quote up above in red as a "sign of the times!" :mad:

I was one of those 200,000 PA Republicans who "switched" to Democrat, but that was FOR THE PRIMARY VOTE IDIOT! We switched to vote for Hillary and to try to swing this state for McCain! How about mentioning the number of Dems who used to be Reps who switched back AFTER the primaries were over? :banging:

I have never liked this guy. Talk about a sell out. :pity:

Karma's a bitch. :laughing:

trauben
04-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Karma's a bitch. :laughing:

I suppose coming from someone who's team cheated and went 18 and "LOST THE BIG ONE" ...... you would know about karma being that proverbial bitch!
:chuckle:

Besides, it's no bitch here. He used that as a flimsy BS excuse when he, in truth, knew the reality of those 200,000 people who switched. He's just a coward who used that as his excuse. You can have at him!

GBMelBlount
04-28-2009, 02:55 PM
I suppose coming from someone who's team cheated and went 18 and "LOST THE BIG ONE" ...... you would know about karma being that proverbial bitch!

Holy crap...THAT was funny! :toofunny:

xfl2001fan
04-28-2009, 03:27 PM

Divo!!!! You got knocked the Fvck out! I steel, I don't kill.

revefsreleets
04-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Never heard of rats jumping ONTO a sinking ship.

One more seat that will be won back by the GOP in 2010.

KeiselPower99
04-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Well Pa. Your boy and the crusty ol man from my state can get together now in the same room. Also with him switching shouldnt he have to win the seat again?

SteelCurtain7
04-28-2009, 04:47 PM

HAHA! Owned!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Patriot
04-28-2009, 04:50 PM
HAHA! Owned!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly guys, I made the original reference. :rolleyes:

Hines0wnz
04-28-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm only surprised it took so long for him to do it. I really hope Pa voters put him on his ass in his next election cycle.

klick81
04-28-2009, 07:46 PM
LOL...just a few months ago y'all were applauding him. This is hilarious.

steelwall
04-28-2009, 07:56 PM

Besides, it's no bitch here. He used that as a flimsy BS excuse when he, in truth, knew the reality of those 200,000 people who switched. He's just a coward who used that as his excuse. You can have at him!

Ohhh snap.....:laughing:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Arlen Specter sees the light.....

The republican pary is not what it use to be. I offer any republican to realize this and switch parties.
Its really easy..... Just fill our a little form..
Heres a link to your new party: http://www.democrats.org/

Senator Specter courageously supported the President's economic recovery package -- setting politics aside to create solutions to America's problems.

HometownGal
04-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Arlen Specter sees the light.....

The republican pary is not what it use to be. I offer any republican to realize this and switch parties.
Its really easy..... Just fill our a little form..
Heres a link to your new party: http://www.democrats.org/

Arlen Specter is playing head games - he knows he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning on the GOP ticket so he jumped the fence. Most voters in PA see right through his Red Rover game.

As I've stated many times on this board, I was a long time Demo until 2004 when I switched to the GOP party and I've never once regretted my decision. I was embarrassed to be a Demo and had I remained a member of that party, I would be even more embarrassed today then I was 5 years ago.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Arlen Specter is playing head games - he knows he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning on the GOP ticket so he jumped the fence. Most voters in PA see right through his Red Rover game.

As I've stated many times on this board, I was a long time Demo until 2004 when I switched to the GOP party and I've never once regretted my decision. I was embarrassed to be a Demo and had I remained a member of that party, I would be even more embarrassed today then I was 5 years ago.

Setting politics aside to create solutions to America's problems.
~A.S.

RunWillieRun
04-28-2009, 09:38 PM
~A.S.

:toofunny:

A 'stimulus' bill that only 3 'republicans' (2 now) voted for is somehow setting politics aside?

You think that bill would have actually been bipartisan in nature if politics were "set aside."

Keep drinking the kool-aid though...I'm sure it tastes good.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Just think....The repubicans were in complete controll and they failed to do their job.... That is why record number of voters went out and completely changed the houses.
Dont expect to have 2010 change anything. People are tired of the Rep. party and their unwillingness to make CHANGE and hold onto ideas and beliefs that have no effect on America

Shoes
04-28-2009, 09:54 PM

Specter has ALWAYS been a TURNCOAT or a DEM in REP clothing...nothing has changed. Your a smart women HTGal!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-28-2009, 09:56 PM
All I konw is that I refuse to turn on FOX NEWS because I am sure they are going crazy.. Hannity is proubably going nuts and just throwing out negative comment one after another about Specter

RunWillieRun
04-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Just think....The repubicans were in complete controll and they failed to do their job.... That is why record number of voters went out and completely changed the houses.
Dont expect to have 2010 change anything. People are tired of the Rep. party and their unwillingness to make CHANGE and hold onto ideas and beliefs that have no effect on America

CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE

Why does everyone think Change = Good?

Brainwash?
Mob mentality?
Stupidity?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-28-2009, 10:00 PM
CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE

Why does everyone think Change = Good?

Brainwash?
Mob mentality?
Stupidity?

Because right now SUCKS???????
The only thing that I do not want to see change is the Steelers winning Superbowls

RunWillieRun
04-28-2009, 10:01 PM
All I konw is that I refuse to turn on FOX NEWS because I am sure they are going crazy.. Hannity is proubably going nuts and just throwing out negative comment one after another about Specter

So don't watch it if you don't want. I'm sure you'll be much happier watching MSNBC and CNN slobber over how great of a move this was for him and the country. :sofunny:

X-Terminator
04-28-2009, 10:03 PM
~A.S.

Running up trillion-dollar deficits is not the solution to America's problems.

~ X.T.

BTW, save your Republican garbage - I'm a registered Democrat. I'm just the kind the liberals hate - the Blue Dog type.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
So don't watch it if you don't want. I'm sure you'll be much happier watching MSNBC and CNN slobber over how great of a move this was for him and the country. :sofunny:

:laughing: Its funny how without watching the TV you know the exact tone of each network and how they are going to play this Arlen move.....Gotta Love Politics! ( actually i dont, but football is so far off right now)

xfl2001fan
04-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Because right now SUCKS???????
The only thing that I do not want to see change is the Steelers winning Superbowls

And spending more money (that we don't have) on the rich assholes who effed things up in the first place is the answer? Rrrriggghhttt.

tony hipchest
04-28-2009, 11:27 PM
And spending more money (that we don't have) on the rich assholes who effed things up in the first place is the answer? Rrrriggghhttt.are you suggesting a republican controlled congress or presidency wouldnt be doing the EXACT same thing? :toofunny:

the saudi prince's investments in citifinancial MUST be protected. he's our buddy. (just ask our last 2 republicain presidents).

i know bowing to a saudi on camera may look bad, but have no idea how sucking them off in the bathroom (off camera) can be seen as "less worse". :noidea:

SCSTILLER
04-29-2009, 06:48 AM

Hmmm, what platform did the majority of Dems run on in the electionI beleive you are talking about? Lets see, if I remember right, it was vote for us Democrats and we will end the Iraq conflict. Guess what, still there. Hell, the ones that beat their fists on the podium stating that they would get us out of Iraq if elected in are the same ones that turned around pretty quick and signed onto more money for the conflict. All the Dems did in that election was tell the sheeple what they wanted to hear, and then flip right around and do what they wanted. The democratic party does not have a platform to stand on, they say one thing and do the other. Look at Obama taking on Bush's "failed" policies as his own. At least Bush, as much as I disagreed with him on some policies, told you what he was going to do flat out, whether you liked it or not.

What really scares me about this Specter jumping ship thing is that with Specter a dem now, and Franken :shake01: looking like he is going to win in Minnesota is this gives the Dems the magic 60. They now have cloture, and the only defense the Republicans had to defeat a bill is now gone if the dems want it that way. I cannot wait for the next Congressional election, our country needs it to get here soon.

trauben
04-29-2009, 08:27 AM
:headshake: No it's NOT BBFW!

I am one of those Republicans who is reflected in those numbers having changed party affiliation last year. I also convinced my mother and stepfather to do the same, but that was in order for us to vote in the primaries and swing votes for Hillary over BO.

Us Republicans here in PA had no real vote when it came to the presidential primaries last year. By that time Huckabee had dropped out and that only left us with McCain (Ron Paul wasn't a real choice). WE HAD NO VOTE unless we wanted to play dirty ball.

:stirthepot: I like playing dirty ball so I jumped across the aisle. My Mom and stepdad did, too, along with some of my friends. I know a lot of us did it for THAT REASON ONLY!

What they don't mention is how many of those same people switched back after the primaries. My mom and stepdad did because they couldn't stand the "D" next to their name. I didn't care. I had been a "D" until 2004 when I finally went Republican. After last year's primaries I kept the "D" because I wanted to mess with the polls some more and have them reflect a "D" voting for McCain/Palin! Since then I've been lazy and haven't switched back (but this has prompted me to get off my butt and switch it back, and I'll double check with those I know did the same).

So those numbers have nothing to do with his BS excuse for finally coming clean and sucking a$$ BIG TIME!

It has everything to do with Republicans of this great state of Pennsylvania wanting to have had a voice in the primaries last year, even if it was a voice influencing what happened for the other party!

xfl2001fan
04-29-2009, 08:36 AM
are you suggesting a republican controlled congress or presidency wouldnt be doing the EXACT same thing? :toofunny:

the saudi prince's investments in citifinancial MUST be protected. he's our buddy. (just ask our last 2 republicain presidents).

i know bowing to a saudi on camera may look bad, but have no idea how sucking them off in the bathroom (off camera) can be seen as "less worse". :noidea:

I'm sorry, go back and look at how many Republicans agreed to the stimulus package.

As for your last line, that's the best you got? Some made up stunt? It's obvious that you have :noidea: because that's the only "intelligent" argument you seem to be able to resort to.

I suppose that the Saudi Prince stopped being our buddy for the 8 years that Clinton was in office? Or do you ignore that long period of time in between the last two republicans?

Godfather
04-29-2009, 08:42 AM
At least Bush, as much as I disagreed with him on some policies, told you what he was going to do flat out, whether you liked it or not.

What really scares me about this Specter jumping ship thing is that with Specter a dem now, and Franken :shake01: looking like he is going to win in Minnesota is this gives the Dems the magic 60. They now have cloture, and the only defense the Republicans had to defeat a bill is now gone if the dems want it that way. I cannot wait for the next Congressional election, our country needs it to get here soon.

Disagree on Bush being a straight shooter. Jon Stewart once held a debate between Governor George Bush (using clips from 2000) and President George Bush (using clips from 2002-03).

You shouldn't worry about the cloture part. Having a 60th Democrat doesn't change the rules. Specter will vote the same way on cloture motions that he would have as an R, and filibusters will be decided on a case by case basis. On some issues, he and the Maine Senators will join the Democrats. On others, you'll see Nelson, Landrieu, etc. voting with the GOP.

HometownGal
04-29-2009, 09:40 AM
~A.S.

Resorting to a child's game in an attempt to bamboozle voters.

~ A.S.S.

Vincent
04-29-2009, 10:44 AM
What I'd like to know is what makes him think it's going to be any better for him in the Democratic Party? All he has to do is look at what happened to the Blue Dog Dems who opposed the stimulus package to see how they treat those who do not walk in lockstep with the majority.

Switching is the only "prayer" he has of holding his seat. My hope is that Pennsylvania-Americans will retire this asshat.

I echo Pisn's sentiments - @#$% him and the horse he rode in on.

Vincent
04-29-2009, 11:10 AM

Reps don't "become" dems for any reason other than to affect primaries in their favor.

Actually changing parties is usually the effect of having thought about it and being compelled by the party's positions. Nobody with a functional brain would join the dems as they stand for nothing but abortion and control.

The "record" numbers that changed the landscape were those that are sold out to dem core "values" (A&C), the sea of frothing at the mouth leftists (the "media", "education", unions, gubmint "workers"), the brain dead CNN / MSNBC / MTV audience, the indolent, felons, illegal immigrants, and all manner of slime that ACORN dragged out from under slippery rocks. bho spent "his" $650M in foreign "contributions" well.

2010 needs to be another 1994 or this Union hasn't a prayer.

BBFW, you seem to "embrace" "change". What does that word mean to you in the context of this election? So far all we've seen is a replay of previous dem administrations - diplomatic embarrassment, oceans of new spending, mind numbingly stupid appointments, witch hunts against the "opposition", and an aire of anti-Americanism. Aside from the apparent intent to turn this great Union into a marxist wasteland as the precursor to lapsing into a 3rd world islamic "state", what can you share of this "change" that might illuminate our paths?

tony hipchest
04-29-2009, 11:19 AM
As for your last line, that's the best you got? Some made up stunt? It's obvious that you have :noidea: because that's the only "intelligent" argument you seem to be able to resort to.

:shake01: c'mon, i know youre smarter than that. its called a metaphor. you know... a figure of speech?

I suppose that the Saudi Prince stopped being our buddy for the 8 years that Clinton was in office? Or do you ignore that long period of time in between the last two republicans?

i ignored (forgot) that clinton was a big time texan oil tycoon. :noidea:

revefsreleets
04-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Clinton was far more partial to the Chinese...and they seemed to like Clinton's style...suitcases of cash are none too subtle, and neither was he.

tony hipchest
04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gVxZU8Co2GhDJbwy1R6zN6sHO-CAD97SA8780

Democrats: GOP should be more like their party

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congressional Democratic leaders said Wednesday that Sen. Arlen Specter's party switch is a sign that Republicans should become more like, well, Democrats.

"I say to Republicans in America, take back your party," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., told reporters. "The party of protecting the environment, the party of individual rights, the party of fairness."

Specter stunned the political world Tuesday when he defected to the Democrats, saying there weren't enough moderates in Pennsylvania for him to win a GOP primary.

Many Republicans said good riddance, but there was no denying that Specter sent shock waves through the GOP.

As for Pelosi's advice: House Republicans said thanks, but no thanks.

"It seems unlikely that the most liberal Democratic speaker of the House in history is the best strategist for the Republican Party," said Michael Steel, spokesman for House Republican Leader John Boehner of Ohio. "House Republicans will continue to show the American people that we are the party of better solutions."

Pelosi said Republicans should return to some core issues, such as the environment.

"Our country needs a strong Republican Party," she said.

"But not too strong," added her Senate counterpart, Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada.

SteelersinCA
04-29-2009, 03:56 PM
The Dems wouldn't be half bad if they got rid of Pelosi and Reid.

tony hipchest
04-29-2009, 04:03 PM
The Dems wouldn't be half bad if they got rid of Pelosi and Reid.didnt you hear? the GOP traded a. specter for pelosi and reid during the draft. :sofunny:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Hmmm, what platform did the majority of Dems run on in the electionI beleive you are talking about? Lets see, if I remember right, it was vote for us Democrats and we will end the Iraq conflict. Guess what, still there. Hell, the ones that beat their fists on the podium stating that they would get us out of Iraq if elected in are the same ones that turned around pretty quick and signed onto more money for the conflict. All the Dems did in that election was tell the sheeple what they wanted to hear, and then flip right around and do what they wanted. The democratic party does not have a platform to stand on, they say one thing and do the other. Look at Obama taking on Bush's "failed" policies as his own. At least Bush, as much as I disagreed with him on some policies, told you what he was going to do flat out, whether you liked it or not.

We will be getting out of Iraq much faster than bush would have while increasing troops in afghanistan

SteelCityMan786
04-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Specter courtesy of this move has officially lost my vote for 2010. I was seriously considering voting for him if he stayed Republican. But backstabbing your party and attempting to run away from what you have done while in said party tells me you are no longer fit to stay in office.

Plus, I feel Specter is going to lose anyway. If he were to run against Pat Toomey, he's already trailing 51%-30% out of likely voters in the 2010 election according the rasmussen poll. He's due to lose if the last election cycle was any sign of people wanting to get younger people in congress.

2010 as someone mentioned earlier needs to be like 1994. With the current hatred being spread towards Pelosi and the current Democratic Leadership in congress, I have a feeling that the Democrats majority if not lost completely, will end up being cut down to 1-5 seat majorities.

trauben
04-30-2009, 06:49 AM
The Dems wouldn't be half bad if they got rid of Pelosi and Reid.
You've gotta be kidding me. That's a joke, right? :doh:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-30-2009, 07:15 AM
GO STEELERS!!!!

xfl2001fan
04-30-2009, 07:30 AM
We will be getting out of Iraq much faster than bush would have while increasing troops in afghanistan

You're right, but it's not bringing the troops home so much as redirecting where they fight overseas. Pretty soon, the Dems'll be pushing (in public) for us to be getting out of Afghan...and asking/signing off on us going to Korea.

HometownGal
04-30-2009, 07:33 AM
didnt you hear? the GOP traded a. specter for pelosi and reid during the draft. :sofunny:

It could have been worse. They could have thrown Bitchary into the deal and made it a 3 for 1. :yuck: :horror: