PDA

View Full Version : Foote says decision to leave Steelers is his

mesaSteeler
04-28-2009, 06:49 PM
(Mods I'm not sure if you want this as a sperate thread or part of the existing thread. Please put it where you wish. - mesa)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09118/966120-100.stm

Foote says decision to leave Steelers is his
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Larry Foote played a lot of football as a starting inside linebacker for the Steelers the past five seasons, and in a strange twist, his search for more playing time will cause them to release him.

Foote said he wants to continue his career as a starting linebacker where he can play more often and asked the Steelers to accommodate him. After finding no offers in a trade over the weekend of the draft, sources on the club say they plan to release him sometime after this weekend's minicamp, which Foote will not attend.

They were going to release him this morning, then decided to wait as they pursue last-ditch efforts to trade him.

"It was my doing," Foote told the Post-Gazette. "I wanted to go. They were trying to trade me.''

Foote has one year left on his contract that was scheduled to pay him a salary of $2,885,000 in 2009. There was much speculation leading up to the Super Bowl that the Steelers might release him or ask him to take a reduction in pay because of that salary and because 2007 first-round draft choice Lawrence Timmons is behind him. Foote indicated during Super Bowl week that he would not take a pay cut.

He thought last year Timmons might take his job. Today, he sounded as if he were sure of that.

"It's nothing personal," said Foote, who turns 29 on June 12.

"James Farrior never slows down, and Timmons came in and I can't grow here any more. They turned me into a two-down linebacker last year. I was stuck in a role.

"I love the team, I love winning, but you can't keep being unhappy. It got to the point where they were not giving me a chance.''

Foote did not attend the team's first two voluntary workouts last week. His agent, Ken Kremer, said last week that Foote was working out in Detroit and planned to attend this weekend's minicamp. Kremer also said there had been no contract discussions between him and the Steelers.

Foote said his agent was calling teams to try to place the linebacker elsewhere. There were reports during the week preceding the Super Bowl that Foote wanted to play for his hometown Detroit Lions if he were released and he told both Detroit newspapers as much today.

Coach Mike Tomlin said shortly after the season that he wanted to keep Foote around and had no plans to release him, but it would be hard for Tomlin not to start his first-round pick of 2007, especially given how well Timmons played last season.

Foote's release or trade also would create the salary cap room of his $2,885,000 less the amount paid to his replacement.

Foote, a fourth-round draft pick from Michigan in 2002, has been a starter at inside linebacker since 2004 and has not missed a start during those five seasons.

During the final days of the Steelers spring workouts in June 2008, Foote wondered how long he would remain a starter after Timmons was placed behind him on the depth chart.

"I don't think it's competition," Foote said nearly a year ago. "I really think it's just a matter of time until they throw him in there, just because of the politics of the game -- and it looks like he can play."

Yet Foote did hold off Timmons all last season. Foote started all 16 regular-season games and three in the post-season. Timmons replaced him in their nickel defense on passing downs.

Foote finished fifth on the team with 86 tackles, his fewest since he became a starter. He led the team in tackles in 2005 with 123 and followed with 118 in 2006. Timmons, although not starting a game in his second season, had 71 tackles in 2008. His five sacks ranked fourth and he also intercepted a pass and returned it 89 yards against New England.

"My time might be winding down at that position,'' Foote said last June. "It's just a matter of when the coaches throw [Timmons] in there.''

Apparently, Foote felt that time was now.

Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.
First published on April 28, 2009 at 2:03 pm

ShutDown24
04-28-2009, 06:51 PM
WOW.

Can't say I'm even that dissapointed though. Best of luck Larry, maybe Detroit picks you up so you can finish out your career in your hometown.

Steelman16
04-28-2009, 06:55 PM
James Farrior never slows down

It's all Potsie's fault. :toofunny:

Interesting though. He sounds cool and calm about it.

fansince'76
04-28-2009, 06:57 PM
It's all Potsie's fault. :toofunny:

And I thought everything was always Willie's fault? :noidea: :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
04-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Larry you will be missed. Youve been one of my favorite players the past 5 years since you replaced Kendrell Bell. You will make a team very happy for a number of years to come. But please dear God dont go to Baltimore Cincy or Cleveland.

Texasteel
04-28-2009, 07:11 PM
I guess this answers the question, Is Timmons ready to start. I would have thought that they would have gone after a LB in the draft for depth, but I guess they think the depth is already hear.

Foote has done a great job for us for a long time, and will be missed. GOOD LUCK PARTNER!

HometownGal
04-28-2009, 07:13 PM

No, No, No!!!! It's all Arians fault, don't you know that? :mallet: :chuckle:

I wish Larry Foote the best of luck. I always liked the guy and what he brought to the team. :hatsoff:

slippy
04-28-2009, 07:15 PM
he also has a great name for a linebacker.......FOOTE!

Kaeg
04-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Looks like it's just a matter of time. I'll miss him as well.

Hapa
04-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Byebye Larry, you were cool

xfl2001fan
04-28-2009, 07:25 PM
This will be interesting when he signs elsewhere. The talks of overrated and such are bound to come up.

mesaSteeler
04-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Well he wants to go to the Lions.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2009/4/28/857696/larry-foote-detroit-is-always-no-1
Larry Foote: "Detroit Is Always No. 1"

Pod_tiny by Sean Yuille on Apr 28, 2009 3:07 PM EDT in News Comment 51 comments

Middle linebacker Larry Foote is expected to be released after this weekend was released by the Steelers earlier today, and his next move may be to join the Detroit Lions, his hometown team. Foote is a Detroit native, and there were rumors earlier in the year that he wanted to play for the Lions whenever his time in Pittsburgh was over. Those rumors were never really confirmed, which is understandable since Foote probably didn't want to say something like that when he was still under contract with another team. Now that he is a free agent, though, Foote isn't hiding his desire to play for the Lions.

"Detroit is always No. 1," said Foote, a Pershing grad who still spends his offseason in Detroit. "I mean, my agent is talking to them about me coming home, and we'll go from there. But no question about it, that's my first choice."

Foote went on to talk a bit about how he wanted to be traded and how one of the teams interested in him was Detroit.

"I don't know what the Steelers were doing in the whole process. They kept saying they were trying to get a trade. I know they were in talks with the Lions. But I don't know how it's gonna work. My agent (Ken Kremer) said the Lions tried to get me, but I still don't know how bad they want me."

Tom Kowalski hypothesized that the Lions very well may have not worried about drafting a middle linebacker this past weekend because of Larry Foote. This move was a foregone conclusion, and it was no secret that Foote wanted to be a Lion. Couple that with the fact that defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham has said he doesn't like starting a bunch of rookies and this may have been some smart planning on the Lions' part. Foote is someone that would start from day one and bring great leadership to the defense. He is a Detroit native, a former University of Michigan player, and someone that spends his offseasons in his home state. I can't think of anybody that would play harder for the Lions than Foote.

UPDATE: There seems to be some conflicting information about whether or not Foote has already been released. According to the transactions list on NFL.com, Foote was cut today, so I'm assuming that info is accurate.

UPDATE II: The Steelers have not released Foote just yet, as it appears they are trying to trade him before simply letting him go. The expectation is that he will be released after this weekend, so let's hope no other team trades for him before then.

PisnNapalm
04-28-2009, 07:30 PM
I wish him luck wherever he ends up. I like him.

steelwall
04-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Dang I can't believe the Cards havent jumped on this.

Steeldude
04-28-2009, 08:06 PM
good news: the better LB(timmons) will be starting and the steelers get some cap room.

bad news: depth at the LB spot.

steeltheone
04-28-2009, 08:39 PM
good news: the better LB(timmons) will be starting and the steelers get some cap room.

bad news: depth at the LB spot.

Yes...It will be a big improvement...Remember this kids a number 1 pick....

StainlessStill
04-28-2009, 08:54 PM
I appreciate what Foote has done for the team. But WE WILL NOT MISS HIM. He was average at best, and is possibly one of the easiest players to replace ON THE TEAM. Timmons is a dynamic player and has ability that Foote WISH he's had. This should have been made last year, and I'm glad he gets the boot. Yes, he did good things, but he never did anything spectacular of what Lawrence Timmons will do, GUARANTEED.

Have fun in Detroit Larry, make sure you show those pathetic losers your two shiney rings and inspire them to win 2, maybe 3 games.

Rek
04-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Best of luck Foote. Thanks for leaving with class and without any personal hard feelings.

steeltheone
04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
I appreciate what Foote has done for the team. But WE WILL NOT MISS HIM. He was average at best, and is possibly one of the easiest players to replace ON THE TEAM. Timmons is a dynamic player and has ability that Foote WISH he's had. This should have been made last year, and I'm glad he gets the boot. Yes, he did good things, but he never did anything spectacular of what Lawrence Timmons will do, GUARANTEED.

Have fun in Detroit Larry, make sure you show those pathetic losers your two shiney rings and inspire them to win 2, maybe 3 games.

You are 100% correct

MasterOfPuppets
04-28-2009, 09:03 PM
i just find it hard to believe he wasn't worked into the denver trade....instead of giving denver a 2nd and 4th.....maybe give them 2nd ,6th and foote.....:noidea:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-28-2009, 09:05 PM

This is obviously due to the inconsistency of our offensive line:laughing:

rbryan
04-28-2009, 09:17 PM
i just find it hard to believe he wasn't worked into the denver trade....instead of giving denver a 2nd and 4th.....maybe give them 2nd ,6th and foote.....:noidea:

Good point, I didn't really like giving up the #2 and the 4 for two 3's.

BTW the last article posted says he still hasn't officially been released yet.... WTH??

StainlessStill
04-28-2009, 09:32 PM
You don't think the FO did whatever they could to get what they can to trade Foote? There's so much we probably don't know, and the FO is smarter than we are. When it comes down to it, noone wanted Foote because he isn't a player that is worth the risk of him starting on a so-so defense, rather than a league's #1 defense.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Hopefully we can get someting in a trade.. If not.... Good luck to you Foote...... Gottal love how professional the Steelers and their players handle situations

cubanstogie
04-28-2009, 10:13 PM
I could have cared less when Plaxico, Randle El, Nate Washington, Kendrell Bell, even Faneca or Chad Brown left, but I hate to see Foote go. Maybe its because I never heard him gripe about playing time or cash. The guy epitomizes Steelers football. Undersized, durable and gives it his all. I hope he cashes a big check. I know we will not miss a beat, we never do. Chad Brown, Kendrel Bell, Jason Gildon, Levon Kirkland, Joey Porter, to name a bunch have all left and we have not seen a drop off. Hate to see a guy with a big heart go though.

devilsdancefloor
04-28-2009, 10:18 PM
he will be missed! i wish him nothing but the best of luck! now i am a bit bummed not the greatest LB but played with heart!

lilyoder6
04-28-2009, 10:33 PM
it will be interesting to see timmons in there evry down as the mlb.. he's gonna be flying and his speed could be an advatage to his run support

FSUBoo
04-28-2009, 11:28 PM
You're all wrong, it's all Ben's fault cause he holds onto the ball too long. Oh, and don't forget the OLine and our crappy draft class lol.

I liked Foote, he wasn't the best player or most dynamic, but held his own well. I can't wait to see Timmons on the field. This is probably the most dynamic LB we've ever had. Definitely the fastest.

Preacher
04-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Foote...

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for not leaving the Faneca way.

Alright Timmons... its time to shine! I do wish we would have picked up another LB, but oh well!!.. I am VERY excited about Timmons playing this year!

Steeldude
04-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Maybe its because I never heard him gripe about playing time or cash

you do know that he asked to be let go because of playing time, right?

Preacher
04-29-2009, 12:46 AM
you do know that he asked to be let go because of playing time, right?

True... but you gotta respect the way he did it.

He kept quite until it was the right time... and he quitely went to his team.

The man wants to play.

I really can't fault him.

MDSteel15
04-29-2009, 12:57 AM
How can you fault a guy who wants to contribute and not just collect a check?

Preacher
04-29-2009, 01:14 AM
How can you fault a guy who wants to contribute and not just collect a check?

Exactly...and doing it quitely as well.

tony hipchest
04-29-2009, 01:15 AM
I could have cared less when Plaxico, Randle El, Nate Washington, Kendrell Bell, even Faneca or Chad Brown left, but I hate to see Foote go. Maybe its because I never heard him gripe about playing time or cash. The guy epitomizes Steelers football. Undersized, durable and gives it his all. I hope he cashes a big check. I know we will not miss a beat, we never do. Chad Brown, Kendrel Bell, Jason Gildon, Levon Kirkland, Joey Porter, to name a bunch have all left and we have not seen a drop off. Hate to see a guy with a big heart go though.while i generally agree about foote leaving, lets be real here....

randle el is probably one of the classiest people to ever leave the steelers building, but i woulda gladly accepted $30 million (or so) of daniel snyders money at the expense of winning another $10,000 piece of jewelery with the steelers. :noidea:

plus, isnt foote griping about "time" in this exact article that is being discussed? :noidea:

jev7452
04-29-2009, 01:15 AM
i'll miss his little celebration dance! wish you the best of luck larry..

SteelersMongol
04-29-2009, 02:09 AM
This is a sad news 4 me. I like him. I like him a lot. This sucks. Just when I thought things will stay the same...

Preacher
04-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Wait Wait...

Can Foote long-snap????

:hunch:

sherlock
04-29-2009, 03:11 AM
"James Farrior never slows down, and Timmons came in and I can't grow here any more. They turned me into a two-down linebacker last year. I was stuck in a role.

"I love the team, I love winning, but you can't keep being unhappy. It got to the point where they were not giving me a chance.''

I wasn`t aware that he was unhappy last season especially as he still seemed to have a prominent role.
For me it`s sad as he seemed part of the furniture during my Steeler indoctrination.
However,Timmons is quite the beast.!

Galax Steeler
04-29-2009, 03:46 AM
I hope foot signs with Detroit that is where he is wanting to play and hopefully he will get there. Thank you Foote for your playing time in Pittsburgh.

MasterOfPuppets
04-29-2009, 04:45 AM
You don't think the FO did whatever they could to get what they can to trade Foote? There's so much we probably don't know, and the FO is smarter than we are. When it comes down to it, noone wanted Foote because he isn't a player that is worth the risk of him starting on a so-so defense, rather than a league's #1 defense. obviously we don't know what goes on behind the curtain....but i just find it hard to believe that NOBODY wouldn't even pony up a 6th or 7th rd pick for a guy with footes experience. i'd think he'd at least have value for teams trying to transition to the 3-4 ( denver, green bay ). wouldn't you think thier D coordinators would wanna pick his brain on lebeau's schemes ? i know i would. :noidea:

my god we got a 7th for the pile of suck known as mahan.....

redst3
04-29-2009, 05:15 AM
Good luck, dough boy.

cubanstogie
04-29-2009, 08:52 AM
while i generally agree about foote leaving, lets be real here....

randle el is probably one of the classiest people to ever leave the steelers building, but i woulda gladly accepted $30 million (or so) of daniel snyders money at the expense of winning another $10,000 piece of jewelery with the steelers. :noidea:

plus, isnt foote griping about "time" in this exact article that is being discussed? :noidea:

I don't blame anyone for wanting more cash or playing time. I think most great players want both. The difference here is that it wasn't discussed during the year, or at SB parade or some other inappropriate time. The writing is on the wall, I didn't even think Foote would remain a starter last year yet alone this year.

I don't doubt there have been many classy Steelers who have left, I am not trying to say Foote is the best or even the classiest, I just hate to see him go where as the others I mentioned it was no big deal.

DACEB
04-29-2009, 09:11 AM
If he's under contract with us, how is it his agent is talking to Detroit? Wouldn't that be considered tampering? The word must have gotten out thru his agent, that he would be released. I don't like this at all for the simple fact that, once again, it seems the team will get nothing for him.

Edman
04-29-2009, 09:16 AM
So long, Larry. I'm not going to begrudge the man. He knows Timmons is going to push him out the door. So why not look for a new job?

I will miss Foote. He may not have been the most talented Steeler Linebacker we've ever had, but he had a ton of heart. Good Luck to him.

SteelRNation
04-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Cardinals will sign him since they like to get any Steeler player they can get their hands on.

lilyoder6
04-29-2009, 09:49 AM
i will laugh when he does become that 3 down lb.. and he faisl epically

Curtain_of_Steel
04-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Played well here but I have been over harping it at times. There is no way he was going to stay on this roster playing a limited role and making 2.9mill.

Shocking no one wanted him. Unless he is over rated, lol.
I'm not big on saying if I'm not going to play the decision is mine to leave? If i heard that your bags would be packed before you hung up the phone, lol

steelreserve
04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Oh, boo-hoo. You can't be a man and play out your ONE-YEAR contract while we try to win another Super Bowl? Screw you, then.

Let's see how much we all want to thank Foote for being a "class act" when Farrior or Woodley goes down for a couple games and we have nobody to step in. Fact of the matter is, he hurt this football team because of bitching about playing time -- while getting paid handsomely, no less -- and I cannot comprehend how that can be called anything other than selfish.

In other news, isn't Al Davis still senile enough to give us good draft picks for disgruntled players? We should be calling him every day.

DACEB
04-29-2009, 12:06 PM
isn't Al Davis still senile enough to give us good draft picks for disgruntled players? We should be calling him every day.

Now there's a thought, just tell the crypt keeper Foote runs a 4.3 40!

steelreserve
04-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Now there's a thought, just tell the crypt keeper Foote runs a 4.3 40!

At this point, I think Al is so senile that if 4.3 was Foote's time for chugging a 40, he'd still give up a first-round pick.

LVSteelersfan
04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Foote was only serviceable because the linebackers and other players around him are so good. He will show that he was part of a system if he goes to Detroit because they have no one like Woodley, Harrison, Farrior, Aaron Smith, etc. to surround him. He is not fast enough to cover slot WRs. He is too slow to keep up with fast RBs who make it to the second level. I like him in our system, but he will not be missed. The impact of his loss will not even be felt like when we lost Porter, Kevin Greene, Kendrel Bell, etc. Good luck. But don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out. You are not good enough to be a 3 down LB or you would still be one. You certainly are not worth the amount of money you are being paid in comparison to what they paid Harrison last year.

fansince'76
04-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Cardinals will sign him since they like to get any Steeler player they can get their hands on.

:iagree: What he said.

fansince'76
04-29-2009, 01:23 PM
At this point, I think Al is so senile that if 4.3 was Foote's time for chugging a 40, he'd still give up a first-round pick.

I don't want a top-10 pick. Too damn expensive.

steelreserve
04-29-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't want a top-10 pick. Too damn expensive.

We could always trade it for a lower one, plus a case of 40's.

Although I'm sure that somehow, the Patriots would be awarded an extra draft pick as a result of that.

SunshineMan21
04-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Oh, boo-hoo. You can't be a man and play out your ONE-YEAR contract while we try to win another Super Bowl? Screw you, then.

Let's see how much we all want to thank Foote for being a "class act" when Farrior or Woodley goes down for a couple games and we have nobody to step in. Fact of the matter is, he hurt this football team because of bitching about playing time -- while getting paid handsomely, no less -- and I cannot comprehend how that can be called anything other than selfish.

In other news, isn't Al Davis still senile enough to give us good draft picks for disgruntled players? We should be calling him every day.

I think Foote handled this in the classiest way possible . . . he didn't open his mouth a bit to the media until it was already confirmed that he was being released, when it would have been easy for him to bitch about playing time last year.

On any 3-4 team in the game, except maybe the Ravens, Foote is a quality starter . . . why would he settle for being a backup with us?

No hard feelings, and best of luck to him in the future.

Preacher
04-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Well,

Outside of Joey Porter, show me another LB that went to another team and excelled? Most of them crashed and burned.

Jason Gildon, horrible, retired after one year away from us.
Bell, complete bust in KC
Clark Haggans? 19 tackles and 1 sack in 11 games, didn't even start
Levon Kirkland had a decent year in Seattle after leaving us, then retired after a so so year in philly.
Earl Holmes-- Did ok, but had a serious drop in numbers after leaving us.

Steelers linebackers DO NOT PLAY WELL when they leave here. I think it is a combination of system and talent evaluation. When they start going down hill, they are gone.

So most teams by this point, will probably be quite afraid of given up picks for a Steelers LB.

Steelman16
04-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Actually, I think Foote could buck that trend and still be productive for 3-4 years if he landed in the right place.

lilyoder6
04-29-2009, 05:57 PM
foote is still decently young.. i think he can still be good.. but he won't be as successful as he was with the steelers

Psyychoward86
04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
If he wants to leave, i guess he should, even though i love the guy. The last two years, we've had a new starting linebacker, each of whom have succeeded the former starter very nicely (Joey Porter to James Harrison, Clark Haggans to Lamaar Woodley). The FO is good enough to dance around with this, but in a 3-4, you can never have too many linebackers. If Foote was released, and one of our ILB's got hurt, id be a bit antsy about who fills in. I'll hope for the best. Funny thing is, a couple months ago, he was laughing at the rumor about him going to Detroit.

Steeldude
04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
no huge loss. it's a LB friendly system. plug in another one. losing foote only hurts in terms of depth. his loss is no more meaningful than carlos emmons' departure

SteelersMongol
04-29-2009, 08:21 PM
I still have this image of the pic of him & his son that was published during the 2005 playoff. I like him a lot. 2 bad that V decided 2 let him go.

SteelersMongol
04-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Foote was only serviceable because the linebackers and other players around him are so good. He will show that he was part of a system if he goes to Detroit because they have no one like Woodley, Harrison, Farrior, Aaron Smith, etc. to surround him. He is not fast enough to cover slot WRs. He is too slow to keep up with fast RBs who make it to the second level. I like him in our system, but he will not be missed. The impact of his loss will not even be felt like when we lost Porter, Kevin Greene, Kendrel Bell, etc. Good luck. But don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out. You are not good enough to be a 3 down LB or you would still be one. You certainly are not worth the amount of money you are being paid in comparison to what they paid Harrison last year.

I'm sorry but I disagree. Only reason that our DEF is so good, is because EVERYONE in it is SO DAMN good. I know 4 a fact that Harrison, Woodley, Tory & everyone else wouldn't have stacked those numbers if Foote was not that good as U said he was. In our case it takes 11 to tango.

If he won't B missed after he's gone, it's only because the guy (Timmons) who can replace him is not that bad. But WE WILL MISS HIM, cuz he's such a great guy & good team-player!

rich4eagle
04-29-2009, 09:45 PM
The Steeler management has been so astute and right on for years.............I am sure they will make the best of this.

I think Larry sees him being diminished as Timmons comes on next year.

Thus the desire.

LVSteelersfan
04-29-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm sorry but I disagree. Only reason that our DEF is so good, is because EVERYONE in it is SO DAMN good. I know 4 a fact that Harrison, Woodley, Tory & everyone else wouldn't have stacked those numbers if Foote was not that good as U said he was. In our case it takes 11 to tango.

If he won't B missed after he's gone, it's only because the guy (Timmons) who can replace him is not that bad. But WE WILL MISS HIM, cuz he's such a great guy & good team-player!

I will miss the good character. I just won't miss the weak link in the chain in the middle of the defense. He was good only because players like Troy covered his slowness by coming up from the secondary and making so many plays. I watched him get torched my MJD from Jacksonville in the playoffs two years ago and saw the writing on the wall. He is a liability and Timmons is much better, much faster and will make us forget Foote even existed.

paw-n-maul-u
04-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Foote will start on about 31 teams in the NFL. But not on this Historic defense.

Timmons brings so much more to the table. I am giddy right now knowing the he will be the opening day starter.

ILB just jumped to the top of the list for next year in the draft. I could even see us picking up a free agent cut after june.

I think the steelers are high on Fox, and he even offers more athletic upside than Foote. Larry was just solid all around, not spectacular. And on a defense of this caliber, spectacular is expected.

Avoid LLoyd1975
04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I can't say that I liked Foote all that much. To me he was a liability in coverage of the TE's/RB's, always seemed to get burnt on the underneath routes. Farrior had to do double duty to clean up Foote's weaknesses. He played with heart but just didn't have the talent that I request for our beloved Steeler history of linebackers. Bye bye Foote!!!

DACEB
04-30-2009, 11:59 AM
I think the steelers are high on Fox, and he even offers more athletic upside than Foote.

I agree, I think they do like Fox quite a bit. Fox played well in pre-season in that spot. I could see him in a nickel package much like Timmons started, he definitely displayed the athleticism for it. Fox has shown himself to be a solid tackler, but working your way thru the big boys on run downs is a task I'm not sure he's displayed yet. I would think he's clearly next on the depth chart though, he definitely displays the desire.

steelreserve
04-30-2009, 12:59 PM
I think Foote handled this in the classiest way possible . . . he didn't open his mouth a bit to the media until it was already confirmed that he was being released, when it would have been easy for him to bitch about playing time last year.

No, the classy way to handle it is to be like Deshea Townsend. Play out the contract you signed ... and when rumors go around about some up-and-coming hot prospect replacing you, you work your ass off and beat him out for the starting job anyway. You don't complain, because you're still collecting a decent salary and you understand that competing for the starting spot EVERY year is part of the game in the NFL or any other sport.

THAT'S classy.

It's pretty sad that things have gotten to the point where a player can demand to be let out of his contract because he thinks he's entitled to a starting job, and most people's reaction is that he's a great guy because he didn't bitch and moan to the press. Screw that. Foote is a diva and a primadonna for making this kind of move, and the only reason we don't see this for what it is, is because we've become used to idiots like T.O. doing things that are even worse.

Screw Foote. If that's the way he handles competition, I don't want him. He can feel free to suck a dick and go home.

SteelersMongol
04-30-2009, 11:23 PM
No, the classy way to handle it is to be like Deshea Townsend. Play out the contract you signed ... and when rumors go around about some up-and-coming hot prospect replacing you, you work your ass off and beat him out for the starting job anyway. You don't complain, because you're still collecting a decent salary and you understand that competing for the starting spot EVERY year is part of the game in the NFL or any other sport.

THAT'S classy.

It's pretty sad that things have gotten to the point where a player can demand to be let out of his contract because he thinks he's entitled to a starting job, and most people's reaction is that he's a great guy because he didn't bitch and moan to the press. Screw that. Foote is a diva and a primadonna for making this kind of move, and the only reason we don't see this for what it is, is because we've become used to idiots like T.O. doing things that are even worse.

Screw Foote. If that's the way he handles competition, I don't want him. He can feel free to suck a dick and go home.

I bet U hated Big Red's guts. :chuckle:

steelreserve
04-30-2009, 11:34 PM
I bet U hated Big Red's guts. :chuckle:

Curiously, not as much. He ended his time here like a jerk, but when it came down to it, he stuck it out and did what we paid him to do for in his final year.

I mean, I'm not going to say he did a great job handling the situation, but for all the complaining Faneca did, he didn't quit on us the way Foote did, and end up leaving a hole in the roster.

BlastFurnace
05-01-2009, 01:58 PM

THAT'S classy.

The more I think about this, the more I feel the same way you do. Larry is not a great linebacker. He is a good linebacker in a great system.

Why are the Steelers letting a player dictate what they do with him...especially when the coach still wants him around. This has got to come down to the cap room they need, but I still think it sets a bad precedent to let a player do something like this.

I appreciate all Larry has done here, but I think his exit makes him look bad...like "I'm not good enough to beat someone out, so I'm going to leave and not honor my contract".

Your exactly right in your comparison to Deshea. Deshea did the right thing and handled it the right way.

billybob
05-01-2009, 05:29 PM
He has given us years of faithfull service , and has not been an enigma in our locker room . If he feels he is being pushed from a younger player , he has to do what he feels is best for his career , i understand that perfectly . Can he beat out that younger player again in camp , who knows ?
If he is to become a cap victim , i think that has become part of the game . Their are plenty of players , well sorry , some players left that have loyalty .
We have seen some examples of that quite a few times . Money is not everything , when you look at the big picture . I know that is easy for me to say , because i have basically nothing . But i am loyal to people that have treated me kindly .
I have no proof that we even made an offer to him , or this is just off-season fodder .I am sure if he wanted to stay , he could find a way to do so
Maybe he wants to give the young man behind him his chance , and he may want to go home . That is admirable too .
Whatever happens , i wish Larry all the best . I will miss his signature kick , when he made a big play . Who really knows at this point ?

steelreserve
05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
I have no proof that we even made an offer to him , or this is just off-season fodder .I am sure if he wanted to stay , he could find a way to do so

Yeah, the thing about that is, we didn't have to make Foote an offer because he's still got a year left on his contract. And it pays him pretty decent money. If he wanted to stay, all he'd have to do is show up.

billybob
05-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah, the thing about that is, we didn't have to make Foote an offer because he's still got a year left on his contract. And it pays him pretty decent money. If he wanted to stay, all he'd have to do is show up.

Yes , i guess you're right . I can't see every angle . Might be the "Charlotte web" syndrom , he knows when it's time .

cubanstogie
05-04-2009, 10:05 PM
I was under the impression the Steelers wanted him to take a pay cut. I don't fault him for not taking a pay cut if thats the case. On the other side of the coin is players, including every WR in the league, who want to re do their contract before it is over. Foote deserved every penny he was paid, unlike most WR's who are like relief pitchers in baseball and are part time players for the most part. Foote wasn't asking for more money, he didn't want to be phased out. With that said, Timmons will be a step up but Foote was a bargain and a solid player.I can respect a guy more for wanting to play as opposed to wanting more money when you are still under contract.