PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steeler report: Quarterback tops ten non-drafted free agent signings

mesaSteeler
04-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Pittsburgh Steeler report: Quarterback tops ten non-drafted free agent signings
April 28, 2:32 AM · Add a Comment

Matt Pawlikowski
Go to Matt's Home Page

Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m4d28-Pittsburgh-Steeler-report-Quarterback-tops-ten-nondrafted-free-agent-signings

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers have added ten players to their roster thus far as non-drafted free-agents.
Perhaps the most interesting of the ten is Central Washington quarterback Mike Reilly. The product of a D-II school, ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski called him very good.AP file photo/ Mike Reilly has the potential to make the roster and push for the third slot

“His wasn’t the easiest tape in the world to get,” Jaworski told USA Today. “I just saw an NFL quarterback. This is a guy who has (Tom) Brady-like attributes.”

Reilly, stands 6 feet 3, 215 pounds and completed 64 percent of his passes over his four years as a starter for 12,448 yards, 118 touchdowns and only 40 interceptions. He broke NFL quarterback Jon Kitna's record for passing yards.

Another D-II guy to watch is linebacker Tom Korte from Hillsdale College. A priority free-agent signee, Korte distinguished himself as one of the best linebackers in the 117-year history of Hillsdale College football during his career that spanned from 2005-08.

He led the team in tackles three times, was named the team's most outstanding linebacker three times, and was tabbed First-Team All-GLIAC three times. He is also a two-time team MVP and All-Region linebacker. Korte had 18.5 tackles for loss and 114 tackles in 2008.

The Steelers also signed another linebacker, and he comes from an interesting pedigree as he was coached by former NFL mentor Jerry Glanville.

Andy Schantz, a third-team Associated Press All-American, led Portland State with 115 tackles, had 15 tackles for loss and nine pass breakups in 2008. He is the third Viking linebacker in as many years to join an NFL team (Jordan Senn, Colts, 2008; Adam Hayward, Buccaneers, 2007

The team also brought in a safety as New Mexico State's Derrick Richardson is also intriguing. He led the nation in tackles per game last season, averaging 12.5 a game.

He finished his career with 318 tackles including and had eight games this year with double digit tackles.

Included in that lot of Steeler free agent signings are two wide receivers, Tyler Grisham of Clemson and Demiko Goodman of Georgia.

Grisham is 5'10 and has been touted as a good possession wideout who can turn a completion into a big gain with yards after catch. Goodman had just ten receptions for 129 yards, but is a track star who ran a 21.8 200 meter.

The Steelers also signed Tennessee tackle Ramon Foster. Foster is 6'6, 335 pounds and two local guys as longsnapper Mark Estermyer (Pitt), and also local Kevin McCabe of Pine Richland (Virginia) also signed with the team.

HOOD PAYS SOUTH SIDE FIRST VISIT

As custom over the years, the Steelers brought in first round pick Evander 'Ziggy' Hood and introduced him to the world on Monday.

What Pittsburgh fans found out is the team not only got themselves a quality player, but also a quality person.

"I know the Steelers are known in history for having a good defense and other than that a tough offense," Hood said. “Other than that, I pretty much good to go and ready to come in here and work."

Asked about himself as a player, he had this to say.

"I know I may not be one of the strongest, fastest or quickest defensive tackles out there,” Hood said. "But I can be a credit to myself and make a lot of plays for the backside of the ball."

ROONEY HONORED

Steelers owner Dan Rooney was honored with the Professional Football Writers Association of America with its Horrigan Award yesterday, given to the person (not a player or team public relations staffer) who helped the media best do their job last season.

LELIE IN FOR A VISIT

Oakland Raider free- agent Ashley Lelie met with Steelers officials Monday and could sign with the team an NFL source has told Examiner.com.

Lelie, who is 29, has seen limited time on the field the past few years grabbing just 21 balls the past two years, but he possesses a lifetime 17.3 average. His best year was 2004 when he 1,084 yards and averaged over 20 yards per catch. For his career, he has 217 receptions for 3,749 yards.

Steelers sign a kicker

The Steelers have also signed free agent kicker Piotr Czech. Czech was with the Baltimore Ravens last year for training camp. Czech's signing brings the number of free-agents signed by the team to ten.

tyler289
04-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Interesting. QB controversy!!

Steelman16
04-29-2009, 01:51 AM

Backup QB controversy... :wink02:

And we're one of the few teams in the NFL who can boast of such an occurrence. :tt02:

skepticsightsten
04-29-2009, 01:58 AM
The Steelers do well with the undrafted signings. They look for character over ability sometimes, I think. Which makes sense, as ability can be heightened and taught whereas character does not come cheap at all and, in some cases, can be the key to winning games and having a great team.

jev7452
04-29-2009, 02:05 AM
i know jeff reed's contract is up next year but i assumed they would resign him, does czech mean that may not be the case?? i love reed...

skepticsightsten
04-29-2009, 02:18 AM
I think Mr. Reliable's spot is pretty secure. Adding Czech just means that they think he's good and want to give him a chance as a backup. You never know what could happen to a kicker and don't want to have a Mitch Berger situation with FG chances and extra points...

jev7452
04-29-2009, 02:29 AM
I think Mr. Reliable's spot is pretty secure. Adding Czech just means that they think he's good and want to give him a chance as a backup. You never know what could happen to a kicker and don't want to have a Mitch Berger situation with FG chances and extra points...

VERY good point.. whats going on in the punter situation by the way..?

skepticsightsten
04-29-2009, 02:31 AM
Sep is coming back I believe. Though Berger ended up doing pretty well towards the very end of the season...

steeltheone
04-29-2009, 02:49 AM
Sep is coming back I believe. Though Berger ended up doing pretty well towards the very end of the season...

Just exactly when did Berger do well? So glad DS IS BACK.:thumbsup:

steeltheone
04-29-2009, 02:51 AM

Don't jump the gun...The kid is weak armed and not a great athlete.

Galax Steeler
04-29-2009, 04:35 AM

I don't remember seeing this.:noidea:

Steelers & I
04-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Here's some quotes about Reilly.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.townnews.com/kvnews.com/content/articles/2008/08/23/sports/doc48afa8f59ca93267460076.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D141160&usg=__HXbmaqzR5K4pzG035WjY00wXw2s=&h=260&w=445&sz=28&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=qZMVMR2TFaO1kM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMike%2BReilly%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GG LL_enUS317US317%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Check some of stuff said about him out:

Quote:
Mike Reilly is for real. He can float passes soft as snow over linebackers, laser passes to receivers crossing over the middle and hit them in stride 50 yards downfield. He is raw, but he has a future past this final season at Central.

He is a prototype pro. At 6 feet 3, 212 pounds, he has the size, the arm strength and the savvy. He's a Division I starting quarterback who just happens to be playing for a Division II school.

"Ah, man, every day it's a treat to play with him," junior receiver Johnny Spevak said. "He does things you never see quarterbacks do, especially at this level. He makes the game more fun for me every single time I play with him."

Quote:
"It's so great to play with him. He's one of the most accurate passers I've ever seen," freshman receiver Weems said. "He's real agile, elusive, so even if it's hard for us to get off a [defensive back's] jam, the play's never dead because he can always get outside the pocket and find one of his receivers."

Quote:
"With his work ethic, the time he puts in the film room and the way he wants to be the best quarterback he can be, there's no doubt in my mind he's going to be at the next level," said Spevak, who caught 13 passes for 148 yards and two touchdowns. "I'll be able to watch him on TV and look back at the great memories I had playing with him."

Quote:
Reilly is a good athlete with deceptive speed (4.80). Reilly has good arm strength and is a very accurate passer who can zip the ball on the intermediate level. However, his accuracy diminishes somewhat on his deep balls. His mechanics are good for a lower level performer, and he reads defenses with easy and goes through his progressions well. The level of competition is not an overwhelming concern.

Reilly belongs in the NFL. He is moving up in some Draft Boards. Being a natural leader, he is one of the sleepers in the Draft. His offensive system is more complex tha some of the BCS' teams, so he is very accurate and competitive. With better coaching and improved mechanics, he could find himself playing on Sundays one day. A sixth or seventh round prospect today, he could move up quickly.

Quote:
He could move up to as early as the fourth round after watching him perform at the combine. Easily the most polished of the QB class this year. Reilly shows good footwork and mechanics and was able to make almost all of his throws. I believe Mike Reilly could make the best pro out of all the QBs drafted in 2009

KeiselPower99
04-29-2009, 09:34 AM
I hope he is worth all this hoopla.

jev7452
04-29-2009, 09:39 AM

hmm i seem to remember a GOD AWFUL punt in the afc championship game.. and i dont think it was so much of him doing well, just more him not sucking as much as often.. i know sepulveda will be back but what about backup?? i dont wanna see that again..

Fire Haley
04-29-2009, 10:19 AM
We got Tom Brady?

what?

Steeldude
04-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Don't jump the gun...The kid is weak armed and not a great athlete.

since when does a QB need to be a great athlete? i prefer pocket QBs over running QBs every day of the week. i like accuracy and brains over a strong arm and no brain.

Analysis
Positives: Good height for the position with the frame to handle an additional 10-15 pounds of mass. Good timing and accuracy for the short to intermediate routes. At least adequate touch and accuracy for the deep pass. Cerebral. Reads defenses well. Has control of the offense and is allowed to audible at the line of scrimmage. Reads through his progressions quickly and will take the check-down option rather than force the ball into coverage. Has some elusiveness to buy time in the pocket and surprising straight-line speed to generate yardage as a scrambler.

Negatives: Lack of preferred arm strength exposed with a disappointing performance against better competition at the East-West Shrine Game. Appeared to be over-throwing passes in an attempt to quell concerns about his arm strength, and his accuracy -- which scouts had thought of as a relative strength -- suffered as a result. Operates out of a spread attack and his statistics are inflated. Athletic enough to handle the transition, but is used to taking snaps out of the shotgun and will need to work on his footwork from center.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 10:51 AM
I guessed the Steelers would select Nate Davis as their final 7th round pick and hide him on the practice squad for a season or 2. So now its just this kid.

He won't even get to hold a clipboard for several years at least, so what is the big deal?? :noidea:

tony hipchest
04-29-2009, 10:57 AM
He won't even get to hold a clipboard for several years at least, so what is the big deal?? :noidea:he is the next matt cassell and kenny anderson is the next josh mcdaniels? :flap:

revefsreleets
04-29-2009, 11:49 AM
With Dixon emerging and Batch signing for essentially vet minimum, there's room on this team for a new 3rd stringer...if either of these kids step up to the plate.

Steely McSmash
04-29-2009, 12:22 PM
With Dixon emerging and Batch signing for essentially vet minimum, there's room on this team for a new 3rd stringer...if either of these kids step up to the plate.

That would make one of these kids the 4th stringer. Maybe on the PS I guess.

If Dixon is good enought to be the #2, it's an interesting question of whether or not Batch would compete with these guys. It's nice to have all that experience in Charlie but having 2 QB prospects in the pipeline isn't a bad thing. Could be trade bait perhaps down the road.

steelreserve
04-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Interesting. Maybe he'll figure into our plans in a year or two. But let's not forget that if we let Batch go after this season, we have to eat the rest of his monster $50,000 signing bonus.

devilsdancefloor
04-29-2009, 12:28 PM
We got Tom Brady?

what?

Is it a training dumby dubbed tom brady?

austinfrench76
04-29-2009, 12:41 PM
As a UDFA he had a choice of where to go, so if he is that ready to play I wonder why he chose Pittsburgh knowing our Qb situation? I know he can learn here and play for a winner but, he played in that spread offense and that makes me wonder if other teams made the right choice in not drafting him.

thumper
04-29-2009, 12:42 PM
The Steelers do well with the undrafted signings. They look for character over ability sometimes, I think. Which makes sense, as ability can be heightened and taught whereas character does not come cheap at all and, in some cases, can be the key to winning games and having a great team.

All camp fodder. None will make the final roster. Waste of time to focus on these guys

revefsreleets
04-29-2009, 12:49 PM
All camp fodder. None will make the final roster. Waste of time to focus on these guys

Like James Harrison and Willie Parker?

Fire Haley
04-29-2009, 01:28 PM
It's like, 3 more months till camp - we gotta lot of time to waste.

MONTANA GRIZ
04-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Had a chance to see this kid play in September when he came to play Montana for what was suppose to be a warm up game for Montana before Conference play started. Reilly played well and almost beat us. I would have jumped off a bridge if Central Washington beat us, let alone beat us at home!

The kid can play, made some pretty throws and scrambled numerous times to keep the play alive which resulted in deep passes usually on the run that were very accurate, which was the most impressive thing about him. He was playing against a far superior team, and made some impressive plays with the talent he had.

Not sure I see him having a future with the Steelers, but I guess you never know.

Heres a youtube of the game at Montana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJufP5ryZvg

Makes some nice throws at the 2:30, 3:40, and 6:00 mark. Uggh that game makes me sick to watch, I had that blocked from my memory, but it was actually a great game.

If anyone is in Montana in the fall, you gotta make it to a Griz game! They are crazy!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 03:31 PM
If anyone is in Montana in the fall, you gotta make it to a Griz game! They are crazy!!
What is the attendance like at the Griz games?? I'll trust you that its a good time. We sometimes goto a place in Kalispell for a holiday, so could get sidetracked if needed to.

MONTANA GRIZ
04-29-2009, 05:18 PM
What is the attendance like at the Griz games?? I'll trust you that its a good time. We sometimes goto a place in Kalispell for a holiday, so could get sidetracked if needed to.

They expanded Wa-Griz last year and I believe it now holds 25K and has sold out every game for the last few years.. It is a rowdy environment because it is bowled and the stands are about 7 yards from the field. Missoula is a pretty unique town as well and is definitely different from any other city in the state..

If you can make it to a game let me know, all the food and Moose Drool you can handle will be provided :tt03:

Stadium pic- http://cms.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/default.aspx?p=50&m=208

Steelman16
04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Dude, did I just see some Big Ben in this Reilly kid? (3:45ish)

Might not make the team, but he's worth the shot anyway.

That CW linebacker #40 looks like a little beast!

bigjamesharrison2
04-29-2009, 06:30 PM
\
Oh god...don't remind me of that! :banging:

SunshineMan21
04-29-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm a big Reilly fan . . . smart QB, and I think deep arm strength might be the most overrated skill for NFL QB prospects. I don't know anything about the other guys, but I'm happy we're taking a flyer on Reilly.

skepticsightsten
04-30-2009, 12:14 AM
So maybe I was being a bit too nice when I said Berger did pretty well. Whoever said he just sucked less was right. I guess I was just happy when he punted anything over 25 yards (I tried punting a couple balls after I saw a few of his horrible punts...I thought about calling Tomlin for a job).

Steelers & I
04-30-2009, 02:48 AM
We'll see what happens, hell at the very least, he seems to be as good as the other 2guys that we have behind Roethlisberger.

ricksteelers55
04-30-2009, 04:24 AM
Just exactly when did Berger do well? So glad DS IS BACK.:thumbsup:

I would say after we got the lombardi in Tampa....we saw the best of Berger this year

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Reilly could take Batch spot don't see him doing much else. Look out for the two linebackers though. Korte and Schantz are very good inside linebackers and we have no depth there. I think that Schantz has the best chance of making the team. He comes from a better small school program that has put LB on rosters the last two years. Korte will be a practice squad guy who could get called up.