PDA

View Full Version : Profile of "the Tank"

Preacher
04-29-2009, 03:00 AM
Alright... Enough is Enough...

I am already too dang excited about this season, then I had to go and read about this kid. You know, I think I am going to have to REALLY follow him. He just seems like a great kid. I am glad he is on this team.

Profile of Steelers' fifth round draft pick: Frank "The Tank" Summers
The 5-foot-9, 242-pound RB brings power to short-yardage and goal-line situations and the will to excel on special teams to mix
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200904/summers_frank_3_160.jpg
UNLV photo
Frank Summers: At 5 feet 9 and 242 pounds, could he be an option around the goal line?

At one point in his junior season at UNLV, Frank "The Tank" Summers suddenly saw himself as Frank the frog.
The Rebels had the ball near the opponent's goal line, the perfect spot to call on their 5-foot-9, 242-pound Tank. He took the ball, headed toward the end zone -- and leaped as high as he could. The defense stopped him in midflight before he could score.
"He tried to get too fancy," UNLV coach Mike Sanford said yesterday. "I told him he needs to know who he is and how he's built; he needs to run them over."
Summers heeded his coach's advice.
Minicamp
• What: Steelers minicamp, the only mandatory sessions for players until training camp at Saint Vincent in July.
• When: Friday-Sunday.
• Where: UPMC practice facility on the South Side. The practices are not open to the public.

"He told me to use my speed and power, that there's no reason to be in the air when you can run over everybody," Summers said yesterday. "You always see it on TV -- the all-star running back doing it; you figure the end zone is just right there, if I can just jump over. In that case, it wasn't the best idea.
"I believe that's the last time I jumped."
The Steelers drafted Summers in the fifth round Sunday specifically because he is The Tank, someone with the power and know-how to get into the end zone. Everyone knows the frustration coach Mike Tomlin had with his offense's spotty record of scoring touchdowns inside the 5 last season.
"No," Tomlin said sarcastically Sunday, "I enjoyed it!"
It nearly hurt the Steelers' chances to win their sixth Super Bowl. They had a first down at Arizona's 1 near the end of their first drive, gave the ball to Gary Russell and he was spilled for a4-yard loss. They wound up with a field goal.
Summers watched that series, thinking he would love to be in that position. Now he is, or at least has a good chance to be.
The Steelers have not had a true goal-line back since Jerome Bettis retired after the 2005 season. They've tried Russell, Willie Parker, Mewelde Moore, Najeh Davenport and Carey Davis. Now comes The Tank, who believes he can be that plow horse for them.
"I don't think I could fit any better than on any other team in the league. With Pittsburgh's physical play and my physical style, we go hand in hand. -- Frank "The Tank" Summers "

"I know I can be," Summers said. "I love scoring touchdowns and, when it's crunch time in a game and they're looking at a short-yardage situation, that's what I pride myself on. That's the best feeling in the world.
"I don't think I could fit any better than on any other team in the league. With Pittsburgh's physical play and my physical style, we go hand in hand."
Summers runs low to the ground -- think a bigger Barry Foster -- and that's an asset for backs looking for the tough yardage. With Parker, Rashard Mendenhall and Moore, the Steelers weren't looking for another breakaway threat. They need the exclamation point.
"Very rarely does he get dropped in the backfield," Tomlin said. "Short-yardage, goal-line situations have been an asset of his game."
There's another love of The Tank's life besides scoring.
"I love special teams. It's a time for me to really hit somebody without carrying the ball, just to run 60 or 50 yards downfield like a crazy man. I love to play the sport of football. Special teams is my favorite part of the game; anytime people were punting or kicking off, that was my favorite part."
He'll get his chance there, too.
"He will make a contribution on special teams," UNLV's Sanford promised. "He's a very determined, very physical player, a tough guy; very, very good in short-yardage, goal-line situations.
"I'm very excited for him because he's very deserving of this opportunity and I think the Steelers' organization will love him."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09119/966200-66.stm

Galax Steeler
04-29-2009, 03:41 AM
The more I read about him the more I can't wait for the season to start. I just hope he can follow in Jeromes foot steps and be the work horse for the team.

stillers4me
04-29-2009, 05:30 AM
I'm glad Tomlin is as frustrated as I am! I have really high hopes for this guy..........come on, Tank!

( I have to laugh at his nickname...........my sister has a long haired dachshund named Tank. :chuckle: And it's a nasty little beast. :yikes:)

Jaquila
04-29-2009, 06:00 AM
I am getting more and more excited about this guy! I really hope he can be an asset to the team and give us those short yardage plays we couldnt get last season:D

XxKnightxX
04-29-2009, 07:33 AM
MY GOD LOOK AT THIS, I LIKE THIS KID. Not only as a RB but a great special team asset, Carey Davis your job is being threatened.
41ev5xHCX9I

truesteelerfan
04-29-2009, 09:11 AM
HOLY SMOKES! I agree with your comments...this kid could be awesome for us! Carey Davis....your welcome for your ring....see-ya.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Steelers have Summers listed as a RB. The FB's are Carey Davis and Ryan Powdrell. Most likely I see the Steelers dressing only 3 RB's on gameday and 1 FB, so most likely it will be Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Powdrell.

As much as I love the Summers pick, I just cant see him being activated on gameday much. At least not until the 2010 season.

tony hipchest
04-29-2009, 10:17 AM

You know, I think I am going to have to REALLY follow him. He just seems like a great kid. no need to start stalking the kid.

i know what youre saying though. i get the same feeling of him being a perfect steeler like i did with brian leonard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steelers have Summers listed as a RB. The FB's are Carey Davis and Ryan Powdrell. Most likely I see the Steelers dressing only 3 RB's on gameday and 1 FB, so most likely it will be Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Powdrell.

As much as I love the Summers pick, I just cant see him being activated on gameday much. At least not until the 2010 season. so why powdrell over davis or summers? didnt we have him last year?

Vincent
04-29-2009, 10:20 AM

As much as I love the Summers pick, I just cant see him being activated on gameday much. At least not until the 2010 season.

They didn't draft this kid to let him watch games. He is a game changer that likes to hit people. Frank needs to be on the field decleating people as much as possible.

He and the backs we have allow us to go back to Steeler football - Run it up in the 1st half and then grind them down in the 2nd half with the relentless pounding that Mendy and Tank would deliver. :helmet::tt::tt02::tt03:

OneForTheToe
04-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Now if the "Tank" can just teach Kemo to not let the DE jump the gap between the guard and center we will be set.:wink02:

I do like what I have heard of the kid though.

Steely McSmash
04-29-2009, 11:35 AM

so why powdrell over davis or summers? didnt we have him last year?

I'm curious about that as well Gonzo. why Powdrell?

He was an UDFA signing for the packers in 2007, spent the season on IR and spent all of one week on Tampa's practice sqaud last year from what I can see. We picked him up in Feb.

I would think that Summers may have the ability to beat out Davis for the active roster spot, particularly if he can do some good work at the goal line. Need to see how he looks as a pass blocker I would think.

LVSteelersfan
04-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Davis is a total waste of roster space. Why he is still on the team is a mystery to me. Not impressive in any way, shape or form.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 02:10 PM
They didn't draft this kid to let him watch games. He is a game changer that likes to hit people. Frank needs to be on the field decleating people as much as possible.

He and the backs we have allow us to go back to Steeler football - Run it up in the 1st half and then grind them down in the 2nd half with the relentless pounding that Mendy and Tank would deliver. :helmet::tt::tt02::tt03:

What, like picks #2-#5 last year.... Sweed, Davis, Hills, Dixon did last year???? Only 45 of the 53 active can dress on game day and the #3 QB is listed as emergency, so who is gonna sit down??

2 reserve O linemen (Hills and Capizzi)
1 WR (#5 guy Nance)
2 LB's (Arnold Harrison and Donovan Woods)
1 DB- (Ryan Mundy)
1 RB- (most likely our #4 RB.....Frank Summers)

I am saying the kid will make the 53 man roster, but not be suited up on gameday until 2010 when they dont extend Willie Parker's contract and he is the #3 RB on the depth chart.

Steel Head
04-29-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm curious about that as well Gonzo. why Powdrell?

obviously they were looking to replace Carey Davis

they signed Powdrell before they drafted Frank the Tank

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 02:25 PM
so why powdrell over davis or summers? didnt we have him last year?

Kirby Wilson said pretty firmly in the conference call that the FB's on the Roster are Davis and Powdrell. Frank Summers is a HB that can play some FB. So it sounds like to me they are gonna keep a FB between Davis and Powdrell. They are going to keep RB's from the pool of Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Summers, Vincent, Logan.

We didnt have Powdrell last year, but picked him up in the offseason this year. He is built like a FB 5'11", 260lbs. A converted LB, so he knows how to hit. And, at USC his senior year, they were gonna use him as a tailback a bit because he had the skills, but suffered a brutal fracture that you can Youtube.

Just my opinion, but I think we finally keep a FB on the roster that at 260lbs instead of 225lb Carey Davis. Here is some info on Ryan Powdrell from the 2006-07 college season.

Redshirt senior fullback Ryan Powdrell, playing mostly running back, rushed 10 times for 81 yards, including a carry for 51 yards

Powdrell, who made the transition from linebacker to fullback prior to spring practice, has already made great strides as a tailback.

"It's not even the position (that is challenging)," he said. "It's just learning the plays. Running with the ball in my hand comes naturally, because I've done it before."

Powdrell's experience running the ball betrayed him in the fourth quarter, when he was the victim of the Matthews forced fumble.

"I've just got to get used to holding the ball with two hands in traffic, it's been a while," he said. "That can easily be changed."

Despite Sunday's success at running back, Powdrell envisions having more of a role as a fullback this season.

"Right now I look at myself as a fullback," he said. "If they need me at tailback, I'll do it."

http://www.dailytrojan.com/2.1596/powdrell-runs-wild-at-huddle-1.210261

tony hipchest
04-29-2009, 02:28 PM
MY GOD LOOK AT THIS, I LIKE THIS KID. Not only as a RB but a great special team asset.] so he kicks off and makes the tackle too? was that HS footage?

steeltheone
04-29-2009, 02:34 PM
We need a short yardage back and Summers is it, since Russell is gone.

Dino 6 Rings
04-29-2009, 05:04 PM
I just like the name.

TANK

that's about as good a replacement you can find for someone named The Bus

Sweed! Tank! Hood!

They draft like I do on Madden! For Cool Names!

Preacher
04-29-2009, 05:29 PM
I doubt he dresses for most of the games this year, but I think he WILL dress for some.

Remember, he CAN take three different spots, ST's, FB, and HB. I just don't see him staying on the bench for long if he is able to contribute.

Before anything starts, I could see them keeping Willie, Mende, MeMo and the Tank plus one other FB on the 53 man roster. That is equivelent to last years 5 on the roster. They may even put a sixth here, since the Tank can take up a ST's position.

Of course, this is all speculation and dreaming. However, a kid with his strength and size, I doubt they drafted him to just be camp fodder. I would suspect some of the FA signings are, however.

theplatypus
04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
This guy is going to be a beast!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Before anything starts, I could see them keeping Willie, Mende, MeMo and the Tank plus one other FB on the 53 man roster. That is equivelent to last years 5 on the roster. They may even put a sixth here, since the Tank can take up a ST's position.
That is so true Preacher. Plus, injuries. If a ST player is injured, or any of the top 3 backs, or even a FB...the Tank has flexibility to play 1. RB, 2. FB or 3. Special teams coverage.

I agree he probably doesnt dress for 8 games, lilke most want to see...but will start a solid apprenticeship this season.

Preacher
04-29-2009, 06:05 PM
That is so true Preacher. Plus, injuries. If a ST player is injured, or any of the top 3 backs, or even a FB...the Tank has flexibility to play 1. RB, 2. FB or 3. Special teams coverage.

I agree he probably doesnt dress for 8 games, lilke most want to see...but will start a solid apprenticeship this season.

This just has the feel of a SOLID pick... one that 5 years from now, we will be looking back on and saying, WOW.

I also am growing more and more fond of our 3rd picks. Turns out they are good friends. That'll help them both out in adjustment I think.

Could you imagine being drafted for an NFL team, and then realizing that your buddy will be there with you? Same friend that you have had since Jr. High?

Steeldude
04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
the steelers' problems with the short yardage running game has more to do with a poor O-line, than the RBs. summers won't be getting any yards if they keep letting 2 to 3 defenders penetrate the backfield immediately after the snap.

Psyychoward86
04-29-2009, 06:17 PM
He looks like Mike Singletary. I hope he plays like him too, just on the other side of the ball :flap:

truesteelerfan
04-29-2009, 06:47 PM
How bad is Davis if a former linebacker is being asked to challenge him for his FB position...Hopefully the coaches see some of the things we as fans generally don't care for, thus allowing Tank to get in there.

ShutDown24
04-29-2009, 06:58 PM
The next John Kuhn? Haha.

I'm not quite as excited about Summers as most of you seem to be, but the coaching staff really seemed to have wanted him so you have to like that.

HometownGal
04-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Good read, Father - thanks! :drink:

I'm lovin' what I'm reading about this young man. Can't wait to see him in TC! :tt03:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Could you imagine being drafted for an NFL team, and then realizing that your buddy will be there with you? Same friend that you have had since Jr. High?

Even better..........the team that drafted you has a veteran in the same position (Ike Taylor) who is also from your hometown and you worked out with him in the offseason.

Q. Are you familiar with Ike Taylor, who Coach Ray Horton just compared you too?

Lewis : I love Ike. I have worked with Ike when I was down with Tom Shaw and he showed me what I need to work on. It is a blessing to be working with him.

Q. Do you have a “Face Me Ike” t-shirt?

Lewis: He gave us one before he left. I just tried to take everything that he had. Now I get to work with him.
http://news.steelers.com/article/104910/

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Hopefully this guy plays mean

rich4eagle
04-29-2009, 09:50 PM

I am already too dang excited about this season, then I had to go and read about this kid. You know, I think I am going to have to REALLY follow him. He just seems like a great kid. I am glad he is on this team.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09119/966200-66.stm

Thanks Preacher from one fan to another..........keep up the good work...:tt03::tt03::tt03:

Steel Head
04-29-2009, 10:05 PM
This dude could def. become a fan favorite.

I wanna get a jersey that says 'Frank the Tank' on the back lol

I'm having visions of him running over Gay Ray Lewis :tt02:

steelwall
04-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Ive been trying to find his 40 time, anyone know what it is off hand?

Steel Head
04-29-2009, 10:48 PM

not 100% sure but thought I read 4.67 somewhere

Most important thing is remember how we kept getting stuffed last year on 3rd and 1? he could change that

Shoes
04-29-2009, 10:50 PM

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/06/summers-steals-show-unlv-pro-day/

Preacher
04-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Even better..........the team that drafted you has a veteran in the same position (Ike Taylor) who is also from your hometown and you worked out with him in the offseason.

Q. Are you familiar with Ike Taylor, who Coach Ray Horton just compared you too?

Lewis : I love Ike. I have worked with Ike when I was down with Tom Shaw and he showed me what I need to work on. It is a blessing to be working with him.

Lewis: He gave us one before he left. I just tried to take everything that he had. Now I get to work with him.

Dang.

You think Ike was called and asked about the kid? Also, if he and the Receiver are such good buddies... how much competition do you think there is between the two of them... and thus, pushing each other to get better, with a mentor in Ike (and now Ward for Wallace) looking on.

Best part about it, neither of them have to be anything but the fourth best player of their position this year in order to stick around.

steelwall
04-29-2009, 10:53 PM

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/06/summers-steals-show-unlv-pro-day/

Thanks..Definatly not bad for a guy his size.

I'd say throw him in right away on special teams, if he's not going to make an immediate impact. From reading his statements you can tell this kid likes to play any place on the field. One way or another he needs to get adjusted to the speed of the game. Pre-season come on allready, I want to get a peek.

Steel Head
04-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks..Definatly not bad for a guy his size.

I'd say throw him in right away on special teams, if he's not going to make an immediate impact. From reading his statements you can tell this kid likes to play any place on the field. One way or another he needs to get adjusted to the speed of the game. Pre-season come on allready, I want to get a peek.

heck ya

I read he is really good on special teams too....thats where Carey Davis got started

(he can also be our backup kicker :sofunny: How about the Tank lining up for the kickoff and does an onsider right in front of him and blasts anyone in his path lol)

Shoes
04-29-2009, 11:05 PM
This Kid is determined to play and he will. His got power, good speed and very good hands. And if that were not enough..a great attitude and hard worker. Sounds like a life long STEELER!

tony hipchest
04-29-2009, 11:48 PM

you werent a member here back then, but believe it or not, i was actually ridiculed for starting a thread celebrating ikes excellent mentorship to the younger guys.

this ridicule came from a pissant patriotfan who just so happened to be a SF mod.

ike taylor took a young a. madison under his wings, allowed him to live in his home, and showed him the ropes. anthony is now a valuable contributor to one of the leagues top special teams in the league and a demon at his job.

how ironic that ike is a 2X sb champion on the statistically best pass defense in the league, while the likes of samuel and hobbes are with the eagles, and the patriots are still desperately trying to shore up their pass defense?

how fitting is it that ike is not only helping the young'nz who could eventually replace him, but re-structuring his contract twice to help the team as opposed to bithching about a franchise tag and making threats to hold out?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=17686&highlight=taylor

(one of the many times ive completely owned this fool who thinks c. dillon is a hall of famer and rudi johnson is/will be a better back than willie parker.)

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Tony, that is a great story. I know you dont like to say "I told you so...." :wink: but you kind of just did point to the scoreboard.

I remember when Ike Taylor was in his draft year and he didnt get a combine invite. He instead went to just about every pro team and worked out for them. The article I read where Ike said he hated missing days of not working out. Definately a developmental guy that likes to help guys out to give back.

Keenan Lewis is gonna learn a ton from Ike and DeShea. He is a legit cover guy and I'm excited that he is a Steeler.

SunshineMan21
04-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Ike Taylor . . . "Swagger" . . . haha.

ricksteelers55
04-30-2009, 03:21 AM
Ok here's my thoughts on the RB situation

some people said that our FB will be Davis and Powdrell and we only carry 4 RB to gameday...the funny thing is I dont see why we would keep Davis when we have McHugh that can play FB/TE which free up a roster spot,and Tank that can play some FB and goal line situation too.

so on game day I could see

RB: Parker,Mendenhall,Moore,Summers
FB: McHugh(could also be use for some TE package)

Steeldude
04-30-2009, 07:21 AM

here are his pro-day stats...

height - 5' 9"

weight - 240

40 - 4.55

vertical - 34.5 inches

broad jump - 9' 5"

bench - 30

GeneralRobinson
04-30-2009, 09:27 AM
I would love our coaches to develop the blocking skills of our running backs to the point where Mendenhall and Summers could line-up split behind Ben and we run off-tackle plays with Rashard or Summers leading the other. Both backs also have pass catching skills where they could release into the pattern and be an option on throwing plays. Gives the offense less predictability.

onefortheotherhand
04-30-2009, 09:10 PM
i think we jus need to get back to grind it out smashmouth football and tank seems like the guy to help us with that

i hope he'll get a chance this season

triphahn
04-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Like that 40 time to go along with 242 lbs in a 5'9" frame.

The Lakelander
04-30-2009, 09:27 PM
LMAO! :laughing: You guys are all forgetting one thing .... we still have Bruce Arians calling the damn plays! :sofunny:

:tt03:

NJarhead
04-30-2009, 09:43 PM
The more I read about him the more I can't wait for the season to start. I just hope he can follow in Jeromes foot steps and be the work horse for the team.

Ditto. How do you tackle a "little-big guy" like him? And he has speed to boot??
Yes, I like this kid very much. Now let's just see what he can do in the NFL.

NJarhead
04-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Any chance of putting A.Q. in at FB on goal line situations? :chuckle:

Probably too slow, but I'd really like to see the Steelers get back to the old, "Hey, we're gonna run it up the gut. Stop us if you can" attitude.

I know, I know...."Arians." My answer to that is "Tomlin."

onefortheotherhand
05-01-2009, 03:22 PM
the steelers' problems with the short yardage running game has more to do with a poor O-line, than the RBs. summers won't be getting any yards if they keep letting 2 to 3 defenders penetrate the backfield immediately after the snap.

our Oline really came together in the postseason and we still couldent move the chains in short yardage situations so i think thats more on willie not being able to move the pile

Hapa
05-01-2009, 03:37 PM
5'9'' and 242 pounds is ridiculous... how the hell do they get that big?

NJarhead
05-01-2009, 04:00 PM
our Oline really came together in the postseason and we still couldent move the chains in short yardage situations so i think thats more on willie not being able to move the pile

Gary Russell was hit in the backfield during the SB. That was Starks and Kemo having a brain fart or just getting owned. Take your pick.

mmalone
05-05-2009, 12:15 PM
if the OL gets better and the Tank can take care of 3rd and 2, 3rd and 1 and goal line situations. this steel offense will notch up to at least 10th not 22nd in the rankings. plus the defenses wont be as vicious as last year...

Tankus_Maximus
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Finally...another Tank in Black & Gold.

Awesome.

Pi Kapp Steeler
05-05-2009, 11:25 PM

Krispy Kreme Donuts

unlvrebelx
05-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Krispy Kreme Donuts

Uh...no, more like genetics.....Frank the Tank Summers is half Samoan http://www.freewebs.com/unlvrebelx/SummersSamoa.jpg...and they grow them big and athletic in Samoa.

Let me just add to this discussion some.....when UNLV beat Arizona State this year, the tank had over 100 yards in the 2nd half.....but of those 100+ yards, there were none sweeter than when the team needed 5 or so yards on 3rd and long, and Frank gets hit at 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, turns around and carries the half the ASU defense on his back for 6 yards.........it was like they were trying to tackle a bowling ball....totally took the life out of ASU.

http://www.freewebs.com/unlvrebelx/n551750070_369436_2724.jpg

Galax Steeler
05-06-2009, 04:20 AM
Uh...no, more like genetics.....Frank the Tank Summers is half Samoan http://www.freewebs.com/unlvrebelx/SummersSamoa.jpg...and they grow them big and athletic in Samoa.

Let me just add to this discussion some.....when UNLV beat Arizona State this year, the tank had over 100 yards in the 2nd half.....but of those 100+ yards, there were none sweeter than when the team needed 5 or so yards on 3rd and long, and Frank gets hit at 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, turns around and carries the half the ASU defense on his back for 6 yards.........it was like they were trying to tackle a bowling ball....totally took the life out of ASU.

http://www.freewebs.com/unlvrebelx/n551750070_369436_2724.jpg
He is half something he might be half samoan but the other half looks like beast.:chuckle:

steelwall
05-06-2009, 04:54 AM

:laughing:

I was explaining to my (chinese) wife how big he is. I'm 6'1" and 215.. she thought he was fat... then I showed the photo (wifey has become a Steelers fan .... thank you.... thank you) she had never seen a guy that short and heavy and not be fat.... Man.... I love Steeler football...:helmet:

mmalone
05-06-2009, 07:08 AM
great post unlv..

truesteelerfan
05-08-2009, 09:59 PM
The more I read and see about this guy the more I like him! Adio Davis!

http://blip.tv/file/1892305/