PDA

View Full Version : Pens / Caps

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SteelMember
04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Well, it seems we finally know who the next opponent will be.

Let's go Pens! Kick that showboats ass! :tt03:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2008/01/alex-ovechkin-010907.jpg

Pens' first three games to be televised nationally
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The first three games of the Penguins' second-round playoff series against Washington will be televised nationally.

NBC will carry Game 1, set for 1:08 p.m. Saturday at the Verizon Center in Washington. Versus will have Game 2 at 7:08 p.m. Monday in Washington and Game 3 at 7:08 p.m. Wednesday in Mellon Arena.

Games 4-7 are scheduled to be shown on FSN Pittsburgh.

X-Terminator
04-29-2009, 08:15 AM
The only question I have is will the Craps' owner try to block anyone from the Pittsburgh area from buying tickets again like he did a couple of years ago. Because if not, you know there will be a HUGE contingent of Pens fans in the Verizon Center, especially for Saturday's game.

HometownGal
04-29-2009, 08:19 AM
That A on AO's shirt stands for . . .

ASSBAG.

This is going to be a tough series, no matter how you slice it.

Steel Head
04-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Why the long break? They should be playing Thursday night...gives the Caps extra rest

Oh well,.....Pens in 5 or 6

X-Terminator
04-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Why the long break? They should be playing Thursday night...gives the Caps extra rest

Oh well,.....Pens in 5 or 6

Eh, it gives the Pens 2 extra days' rest too, so it's no big deal.

Neither team is going to win this series in 5 games. I think we're looking at another long series, 6 or 7 games.

Steel Head
04-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Eh, it gives the Pens 2 extra days' rest too, so it's no big deal.

that's garbage. the Pens dont need extra rest because they took care of business which used to be rewarded. Considering Washington doesn't have to travel at all, there is no reason they shouldnt start the series on Thursday

Pens are the better team. I live in DC and have watched most of their games. They are vastly overrated. Their D is weak. The wildcard is Varlamov who looks good but the Rangers didn't have the offensive firepower to really challenge him

X-Terminator
04-29-2009, 10:05 AM
that's garbage. the Pens dont need extra rest because they took care of business which used to be rewarded. Considering Washington doesn't have to travel at all, there is no reason they shouldnt start the series on Thursday

Pens are the better team. I live in DC and have watched most of their games. They are vastly overrated. Their D is weak. The wildcard is Varlamov who looks good but the Rangers didn't have the offensive firepower to really challenge him

Yeah, you're right. Now I do think it's bogus because of the Craps already being at home. I think TV is the reason why the schedule is what it is, though.

I think the teams are evenly matched with the Pens getting the edge on D and in goal. You are right that Varlamov was not tested by the Rangers, and it'll be interesting to see how he handles the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Staal and Gonchar firing pucks at him. As I said in another thread, I think the Pens break him by game 3, assuming of course that the Pens come to play every night.

OneForTheToe
04-29-2009, 12:33 PM
The NHL must be in their glory with this match-up. The only better option would be if it had come one playoff round later.

X-Terminator
04-29-2009, 12:43 PM
I made a mistake in the other thread about the Pens dominance over the Caps in the playoffs - their only win against the Pens in all of those matchups in the 90s was in 1994, not 1998 - they didn't play each other that year. Maybe that's why the Caps were able to get to the SCF instead of being knocked out AGAIN by the Pens. They met 6 times in 11 seasons from 1991-2001, and the Pens won 5 times, twice coming back from 3-1 deficits. Here's hoping history repeats itself.

X-Terminator
04-29-2009, 01:27 PM
BTW, Malkin was officially named a Hart Trophy candidate today, but we all know who's going to win it. Why they even bothered to announce the candidates in the first place is beyond me.

Fire Haley
04-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Malkin, Ovie and Datsyuk - all Russians - that must be a first.

SteelMember
04-29-2009, 01:37 PM
To expand on XT's last post.

Great Moments In Penguins vs. Capitals Playoff History
Posted Apr 29, 2009 9:30AM By Adam Gretz (RSS feed)

Thanks to the events of Tuesday night, as the Capitals and Hurricanes advanced in their game 7 victories, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals will be taking part in a playoff series that could very well consume us all. We've seen playoff series' get hyped before, but nothing will come close to the tidal wave of Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin coverage that is about take the NHL by storm. Consider yourselves warned.

Before we look ahead to the madness, let's take a few minutes and remember the glory days of one of the best playoff rivalries the 1990's ever produced.

This will be the eighth time the Penguins and Capitals have met in the postseason, with Pittsburgh winning six of the previous series' (1991, 1992, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001) while the Capitals claimed victory in 1994. Obviously, during the better part of the 1990's it was pretty much a given that these two teams would be meeting in the postseason, and it almost always involved on-ice and off-ice anarchy. Let's hit up some of the better moments.

1991-92: The First Comeback

This was an opening round series (and a re-match of the Penguins' five game victory in 1991) that saw Washington race out to a commanding 3-1 series lead, highlighted by a 7-2 thumping in game 4 in Pittsburgh. Following that dismantling, the Penguins shut down the Capitals with a variation of the left-wing lock, outscoring them by a 14-7 margin over the final three games on their way to a second consecutive Stanley Cup.

1993-94: Washington Wins

Washington eliminated Pittsburgh in the opening round -- in six games -- with the three-headed goaltending monster of Don Beaupre, Byron Dafoe and Rick Tabaracci, shutting down the Penguins' high-powered offense. Pittsburgh scored just 12 goals in the six-game series.

1994-95: The Second Comeback

For the second time, the Capitals had Pittsburgh in a 3-1 series hole only to have the Penguins roar back to win it in seven games. I have no memory of anything interesting that happened in this series, other than the comeback.

1995-96: Petr Nedved Lets Us Go To Sleep At 2:00 AM

The highlight of the 1995-96 series was the epic game 4 in Washington. Not only did Penguins goalie Ken Wregget stop Joe Juneau on a penalty shot (in overtime!) but it was also one of the longest playoff games in NHL history, ending at roughly 2:00 AM ET when Petr Nedved scored in the fourth overtime.

Following that game, the two teams returned to Pittsburgh for game 5 where things turned somewhat biblical between the benches. With Pittsburgh leading, 4-1, Penguins forward Alek Stojanov squared off with Washington's Mark Tinordi in a fight that resulted in Stojanov taking a royal beating on the ice. Meanwhile, chaos erupted between the benches when Penguins assistant coach Bryan Trottier and Washington coach Jim Schoenfeld nearly ate one another.

Of course, this scene could not play out in today's NHL because NBC would have Pierre McGuire stuffed between the benches raving about Mike Richards' leadership ability. The best part of that clip, however, is clearly the kid in the black and gold Dr. Seuss hat, watching as if he's at the zoo and witnessing two lions kill each other over the last piece of meat. Welcome to the playoffs, kid. He's most likely 25 years old today and probably still hates Michal Pivonka with every fiber of his being.

1999-2000: "We'll Give 'Em All Seven Games In Pittsburgh"

Underrated series in the rivalry. Because of a scheduling conflict at Mellon Arena (I think it involved either a really bad concert or a circus) the series would begin in Washington for one game, and then shift back to Pittsburgh for two games, and then shift back to Washington for three. Capitals head coach Ron Wilson was livid with the decision, and prior to the start of the series uttered the infamous words: "We'll give 'em all seven games in Pittsburgh and we'll beat them anyway."

Perhaps it was an omen, perhaps it was just a coincidence, but the Penguins won the first game in Washington by seven goals (7-0) and then proceeded to win the series in five games.

2000-01: Moose Tracks

This was the year Mario Lemieux came out of retirement and, after not playing in three years, registered 76 points in 43 games. It was also the year the Penguins traded for a minor league goaltender at the trade deadline named Johan Hedberg. He stole the show for the Penguins in the playoffs, helping lead them to the Eastern Conference Finals.

As the Penguins dispatched Washington in six games, Hedberg allowed only 10 goals in the series, and became a cult hero of sorts in Pittsburgh due to his blue mask that featured the logo of the Manitoba Moose (his minor league team). Every time Hedberg would stop a shot, Penguins fans would take part in a "Moose" chant that echoed throughout the building. It ultimately led to one of the worst playoff giveaways in the history of organized sports, as the team started passing out foam moose antlers at games. Just a terrible, terrible idea in hindsight.

It just dosen't seem that long ago that people were screaming Moooose in the igloo.
Time flies.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/04/29/great-moments-in-penguins-vs-capitals-playoff-history/

X-Terminator
04-29-2009, 01:48 PM
How the hell did I miss the 2000 series? I remember Wilson saying that, and then laughing my ass off when they got poleaxed in that 7-0 game in their own building.

trauben
04-29-2009, 01:59 PM
BTW, Malkin was officially named a Hart Trophy candidate today, but we all know who's going to win it. Why they even bothered to announce the candidates in the first place is beyond me.
You know it's going to douchebag, and they'll announce it probably during this series. When that happens? It will be like pouring gasoline on a fire when it comes to Geno. I predict he'll turn it up to a full blazing shoot out at their nets, just to show the league and fans who really should have gotten it.

X-Terminator
04-29-2009, 02:14 PM
You know it's going to douchebag, and they'll announce it probably during this series. When that happens? It will be like pouring gasoline on a fire when it comes to Geno. I predict he'll turn it up to a full blazing shoot out at their nets, just to show the league and fans who really should have gotten it.

It's not going to be announced until June at their awards ceremony. It doesn't matter - we know he's going to win it, even though the voting was done at the end of the season. Handing over the trophy is a mere formality. :coffee:

stlrtruck
04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
It's going to be interesting, I've got some high school buddies that are caps fans. Let the talking begin.

HometownGal
04-29-2009, 04:24 PM
It's not going to be announced until June at their awards ceremony. It doesn't matter - we know he's going to win it, even though the voting was done at the end of the season. Handing over the trophy is a mere formality. :coffee:

Hell - we knew at the start of the season who was going to win it, no matter what he, Geno or anyone else did. The hockey media darling of course. :jerkit:

If he starts his grandstanding, starts running his big yap or mocks Fleury or the bench, I hope someone runs that Geico caveman looking bastard (of course at an opportune time). He's had it coming for a lonnnnnng time.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-29-2009, 06:14 PM
I can't wait. I can't stand Ovie....I really hope our Penguins take this series. I have never rooted for the Rangers before in my life...but I was a Ranger fan in the first round.

Fire Haley
04-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Bettman has died and gone to heaven!

Maybe ESPN will actually give us some airtime.

btw - This year is officially the year of the choke:

Flyers
Devils
Rangers
Sharks

Pens and Wings - only two teams from last year to advance to 2nd rd.

Edman
04-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Here's to keeping up the maginificent Penguins tradition of knocking the Crapitals out of the playoffs.

SteelCityMan786
04-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Here's to keeping up the maginificent Penguins tradition of knocking the Crapitals out of the playoffs.

Let's Go Pens! :tt03:

Steel Head
04-29-2009, 10:57 PM
I made a mistake in the other thread about the Pens dominance over the Caps in the playoffs - their only win against the Pens in all of those matchups in the 90s was in 1994, not 1998 - they didn't play each other that year. Maybe that's why the Caps were able to get to the SCF instead of being knocked out AGAIN by the Pens. They met 6 times in 11 seasons from 1991-2001, and the Pens won 5 times, twice coming back from 3-1 deficits. Here's hoping history repeats itself.

I thought it was the Pens beat them 7 out of 8?

trauben
04-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Bettman has died and gone to heaven!

Maybe ESPN will actually give us some airtime.

The first three games are nationally televised (NBC, Versus and Versus). That alone shows the hype.

Pens and Wings - only two teams from last year to advance to 2nd rd.
When Hoser went to Detroit last year, I said it would be sweet if we both came back to the Cup Finals and Hoser found himself on the wrong team. Who knows? It could still happen. And if it did? Talk about sweet revenge, to see him take that one year deal saying he wanted to be on a team that had a chance to win the Cup, only to lose again to the team he left.

I would die happily LMAO! :rofl:

stlrtruck
04-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Well the fun has begun. Last night I posted on my "Facebook" page, "When the PENS come to town, the caps finally sell out!"

My caps friends didn't take to kindly to those words. Oh well, nothing like a little fun before the beatings begin.

X-Terminator
04-30-2009, 08:56 AM
I thought it was the Pens beat them 7 out of 8?

It's actually 6 of 7 - this is the 8th meeting between the 2 teams.

Fire Haley
04-30-2009, 11:27 AM
The press will be fanning the flames, for sure.

"What's so special about [Crosby]? I don't see anything special there," Semin said at the time through a translator. "Yes, he does skate well, has a good head, good pass. But there's nothing else. Even if you compare him to Patrick Kane from Chicago ... [Kane] is a much more interesting player. The way he moves, his deking abilities, his thinking on the ice and his anticipation of the play is so superb.

Crosby seemed unimpressed with Ovechkin's celebrations following the scoring of the Russian dynamo's 50th goal of the campaign. 'Ovie' then fanned the flames by derisively waving at Crosby following a Caps victory in February. Both players added fuel to the fire with their post game comments.

"What I can say about him?" Ovechkin told reporters at the time. "He is a good player, but he talks too much."

Crosby had obviously had enough of Ovechkin's showmanship as well.

"Like it or lump it, that's what he does," Crosby said at the time. "Some people like it, some people don't. Personally, I don't like it."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=276921

SteelersinCA
04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Go Pens!!!

Fire Haley
04-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Well, it seems we finally know who the next opponent will be.

We must give thanks.

Somebody's not happy

http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/staalsalute.jpg

Oh - the Horror!

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/35/fullj.e9a8f2750687d081996db3171ba53d61/e9a8f2750687d081996db3171ba53d61-getty-85974556as016_carolina_hurr.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/media/apphoto/9d864405-5773-462d-a70f-5746b5b0b420.jpg

SteelMember
04-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Oh - the Horror!

http://a.espncdn.com/media/apphoto/9d864405-5773-462d-a70f-5746b5b0b420.jpg

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Iove those 3 fans...

Kinda like See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. :laughing:

Fire Haley
04-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Epic Fail

http://i40.tinypic.com/2d930qt.jpg

X-Terminator
04-30-2009, 12:39 PM
The media will no doubt try to play up the animosity between Crosby/Malkin/OV/Semin, but the best thing for all involved would be to let their play do the talking, and keep their other thoughts to themselves. This is the playoffs, and focus is everything. Bylsma doesn't seem to be the type of guy who would allow that kind of distraction to affect the team.

trauben
04-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Crosby had obviously had enough of Ovechkin's showmanship as well.

"Like it or lump it, that's what he does," Crosby said at the time. "Some people like it, some people don't. Personally, I don't like it."
I loved that commercial though where Sid yells out Ovechkin's name when room service comes.
Funny stuff.

Yep, no love lost with these two, we'll be seeing a lot of brawls in this one!
http://www.thehockeynews.com/imgs/dynamique/photos/original/article_25374_2.jpg

Separated at birth?

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0804/nhl.players.resembling.entertainers/images/alex-ovechkin-richard-kiel.jpg

Fire Haley
04-30-2009, 12:54 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/81412/ovechkin.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sjpwz5wac5I/SPd7uuw8j8I/AAAAAAAAAGc/vIAHAlJYtr4/s400/0_61_caveman.jpg

Steel Head
04-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Interesting Regular Season Stats of Crosby facing Ovechkin

Wins: Crosby-11....OV-4

Goals: Crosby-8....OV-8

Assists: Crosby-18....OV-10

Cheapshots: OV-tons

Laying in fetal position after teammate scores on your own goal to lose the game: OV-1.....Crosby-0

Winner = Crosby

HometownGal
05-01-2009, 09:36 AM
"What I can say about him?" Ovechkin told reporters at the time. "He is a good player, but he talks too much."

While I usually never condone deliberately injuring another player, I sure as hell wouldn't mind if one of our guyz ran this little turd when the opportunity arises. I respect him for being the great hockey player he is, but he gets away with more shit than anyone else dating back to Gretzky and is about as unsportsmanlike as they come.

Fire Haley
05-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Pittsburgh Penguins

The team held a skate on Friday morning lasting about 50 mins, everyone took part. - TSN

Practice Lines

Forwards:
Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
Satan - Malkin - Fedotenko
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Dupuis - Talbot - Adams/Godard

Defence:

Orpik - Gonchar
Gill - Scuderi
Eaton-Letang/Boucher

Goaltender:
Fleury

Washington Capitals

Alex Ovechkin was the only Capital not on the ice for Thursday’s strategy-intensive practice session. Ovechkin worked out off ice with his personal trainer. Head coach Bruce Boudreau stated that he was simply giving his star an extra day of rest following a physical first round series against the Rangers. - Washington Post

Steel Head
05-01-2009, 11:54 AM
hmmmm....I wonder when we bring Sykora back :noidea:

trauben
05-01-2009, 01:00 PM
hmmmm....I wonder when we bring Sykora back :noidea:
If Satan does nothing, we'll see him back sooner than later. IMO

What do you guys think about the back-to-back games?

I'm not sure I care for that in the playoffs. I'd prefer the night off in between. This is because of Igloo conflicts and booked shows. I hope in the future new home of the Pens, that they wait to book anything until after playoff hockey and the Cup!

Steel Head
05-01-2009, 01:27 PM
What do you guys think about the back-to-back games?

They already screwed the schedule up royally by not starting untill Saturday when it should have started last night

Back to back games is not a big deal IMO. It might actually help the Pens as we could sub in a fresh Boucher and Sykora/Satan. (That is if game 5 is necessary :sofunny:)

trauben
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Oh, game 5 will be necessary. There's no way this is a sweep by either side, nor even close to one (ending in game 5).

This is either a 6 or 7 game series till outcome.

HometownGal
05-01-2009, 06:36 PM
They already screwed the schedule up royally by not starting untill Saturday when it should have started last night

Back to back games is not a big deal IMO. It might actually help the Pens as we could sub in a fresh Boucher and Sykora/Satan. (That is if game 5 is necessary :sofunny:)

Sometimes, it's not good for a team to get too much rest, as they can come out in that first game with a little rust. I wish we had started last night, as well, but it is what it is.

That's a good analysis, Steel Head with regard to subbing in Boucher and Sykora. I really believe, though, that Sykora should be reunited with Geno and given a chance to redeem himself, as Miro really hasn't done much of anything.

This game is going at least 6, but more likely 7 games - I can almost guarantee it.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-02-2009, 02:08 AM
I just hope we embarrass Ovenschkin(sp?), I can't stand that guy!

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I just hope we embarrass Ovenschkin(sp?), I can't stand that guy!

Typically I would yell for the ns, but I don't care. haha

You and millions of others. :drink:

trauben
05-02-2009, 10:45 AM
I have my Ruutu jersey on now. I'll change it by noon. Every time I've worn this thing since he left, we've lost (including a loss in Philly last series). I'm taking no chances. I can't help it, I'm superstitious that way.

LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Game's about to start and . . . .

IT'S A GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY!!!

LETS GO PENS! :banana:

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Game's about to start and . . . .

IT'S A GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY!!!

LETS GO PENS! :banana:

WHATEVER IT TAKES THEY WALK TOGETHER!

Remember the words of the great James Valvano

"Don't give up, don't ever give up."

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:15 PM
SID THE KID SHOOTS AND SCORES!!!!!!!!

Pens 1-0 over the Caps!

WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :banana: :banana:

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:16 PM
I love it when the fans boo Crosby. He shut them up really fast with that goal. :laughing: :rofl:

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 01:16 PM
NICE JOB SIDNEY! Way to set the tone!!!

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Why in the HELL are the Caps fans permitted by the league to use that airhorn throughout the game???? That is annoying and distracting as hell, I'm sure. Think I'm going to write the league about it after the season. I'm sick to death of it.

SteelCityMan786
I love it when the fans boo Crosby. He shut them up really fast with that goal. :laughing: :rofl:

They're just bothered by a man who just goes out and does what he does best. PLAY THE GAME.

Edman
Game On Alex. You bum.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey Eric - Sykora is playing today.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Hey Eric - Sykora is playing today.

Who's sitting in favor of him? Satan?

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I have my Ruutu jersey on now. I'll change it by noon. Every time I've worn this thing since he left, we've lost (including a loss in Philly last series). I'm taking no chances. I can't help it, I'm superstitious that way.

LETS GO PENS!

I have an away Ruutu jersey and I still wear it to Pens games! Gawd, I miss him so much. :crying01:

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Who's sitting in favor of him? Satan?

I'm not sure, Matt. I haven't seen Satan on the ice so you could be right.

I'm glad Bylsma "listened" to my suggestion. LOL! Sykora has sat for way too long, imho.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Pens aren't allowing the Caps to shoot - I think they have 1 or 2 shots on net with more than half of the first gone. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure, Matt. I haven't seen Satan on the ice so you could be right.

I'm glad Bylsma "listened" to my suggestion. LOL! Sykora has sat for way too long, imho.

That was a pure guess. If I'm right, cool, if not, can't be right all of the time.

:sofunny:

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:26 PM
I still want to see someone run that pompous little bastard AO.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Pens on PP - c'mon guys let's up the lead here!

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I still want to see someone run that pompous little bastard AO.

You and me both.

But if the Penguins have more points then the Capitals at the end of the game, I'll be happy to.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:31 PM
G- DAMN IT!!!!! That rebound killed us.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 01:32 PM
DAMN IT! COME ON D! HELP FLOWER OUT!!!

"DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T EVER GIVE UP!"

Edman
05-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Craps score. Tie game.

Fleury, now is not the time to go to sleep.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Craps score. Tie game.

Rebounds have never been his forte, unfortunately.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Craps score. Tie game.

You have to blame his D for not helping out there. That's one of those Fleury couldn't really help.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 01:37 PM
THIS TEAM HAS TAKEN TOO MANY DUMB PENALTIES!!!

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 01:40 PM
FLEURY YOU CAN'T PLAY A PUCK FROM THAT FAR OUT!!!!

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Come on guys. They took the lead from you. LETS GET IT BACK!

"Don't give up, don't ever give up!"

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:42 PM
It had to be the little red jagoff who scored that goal. :banging:

We've got to come out strong in the 2nd and I have no doubt they will.

Believe it or not, Semin scares me more than AO.

Edman
05-02-2009, 01:43 PM
This is what killed the Penguins in the Flyers series.

We vastly outplay a team, but give up that ONE goal, then it snowballs.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Pens on PP again. We've got to get one in here. :hope:

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 01:44 PM
The Caps fans should shut up. There boys got a cheap goal(AO's)

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Me likey the idea of starting the 2nd on the PP. Take a break, guys, regroup and come out firing. :ak47:

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 02:08 PM
These NBC announcers are making me want to heave. :puke: Kind of hard to talk when they have a mouthful of AO throughout the game thus far. :jerkit:

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:10 PM
GREAT SAVE!

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 02:10 PM
There's that little prick again - throwing snow at Fleury. RUN HIM damn it! :mad:

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:12 PM
:wantsome:Power Play Time:wantsome:

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Another PP for the Pens. :hope: :hope: :hope: We've got to score on them NOW.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Another PP for the Pens. :hope: :hope: :hope: We've got to score on them NOW.

This would be a GREAT time to get this game tied up!

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Lucky Save.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Good Shot Good Save.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Just heard that Talbot got hurt during a faceoff - ughhhh. We need his energy.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 02:22 PM
AWESOME save by Fleury!!!!

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Just heard that Talbot got hurt during a faceoff - ughhhh. We need his energy.

Sometimes, you gotta play without your best guys.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Do you know if Godard and/or Brashear are in the lineups today?

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 02:26 PM
EATON SCORES!!!!! :banana:

We're tied up at 2!

LETS GO PENS!!!

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Do you know if Godard and/or Brashear are in the lineups today?

Godard I don't think he is. Brashear isn't. He's still serving his suspension from the Rangers game 6.

NICE WORK EATON!!!

DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T EVER GIVE UP!!!!

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Varlamov has played exceptionally well in this game thus far.

I see Talbot is back. :drink: :thumbsup:

I'd like to see the Pens hitting a little more.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Crosby got ROBBED in a big manner from a good save.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Varlamov has played exceptionally well in this game thus far.

I see Talbot is back. :drink: :thumbsup:

I'd like to see the Pens hitting a little more.

I was about ready to yell replay, but the puck didn't cross at all.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Pens again outplayed the Caps in the 2nd. The 3rd should be a wild ride!!

LETS GO PENS!

ShutDown24
05-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Varlamov looks great. Hopefully for our sakes it's just been a fluke but that kid has been exceptional.

I feel like Talbot is due for a goal.

Crushzilla
05-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Could anybody else here care less about the Kentucky Derby?

ShutDown24
05-02-2009, 02:45 PM

Read my mind.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:49 PM

Especially when the race isn't until 6:24???

Pens again outplayed the Caps in the 2nd. The 3rd should be a wild ride!!

LETS GO PENS!

:thumbsup: This is going to be an INTERESTING period indeed.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Crosby got ROBBED in a big manner from a good save.

Yes he did. That was an outstanding save by Varlamov. With the score tied at 2, I like the Pens chances. :tt03:

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Yes he did. That was an outstanding save by Varlamov. With the score tied at 2, I like the Pens chances. :tt03:

This game could go either way. It's been a very exciting one.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 02:55 PM
This game could go either way. It's been a very exciting one.

Yes it could, but I love the way the Pens have been playing in the 3rd down the stretch and into the playoffs. :applaudit:

Pens have won double the face-offs - that's a huge plus.

I love having Sykora back - he's played a good game thus far. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Yes it could, but I love the way the Pens have been playing in the 3rd down the stretch and into the playoffs. :applaudit:

Pens have won double the face-offs - that's a huge plus.

I love having Sykora back - he's played a good game thus far. :thumbsup:

:iagree: I think the Penguins play well and put pucks in the net, they'll be fine.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 02:59 PM
That's what exactly should NOT have happened.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 02:59 PM
DAMN IT.

Edman
05-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Penguins Defense fails again.

Get it together guys.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Come on guys. DON'T GIVE UP DON'T EVER GIVE UP!!!

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Good Faceoff Win/Shot.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Come on guys. Take Advantage!!!!

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Yet another Pens PP coming up. C'mon boyz - let's put one in that net and tie it up! :banana:

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Come on Pens. You can tie this up. Believe in the man beside you and you can accomplish GREAT things.

Edman
05-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Pens outplaying the Caps, but the Flower getting outplayed by the Rookie.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Pens outplaying the Caps, but the Flower getting outplayed by the Rookie.

The Penguins have been seeing what good defense can do for a goalie.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Come on Pens. You can tie this up. Believe in the man beside you and you can accomplish GREAT things.

AMEN! :drink:

I believe!

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:17 PM
AMEN! :drink:

I believe!

I refuse to quit believing that the Penguins can win.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 03:18 PM
WOW!!!! Brooks just cleaned someone's clock on the boards. :cheer:

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 03:18 PM
PENS PP COMING UP . . . AGAIN!!

Is anyone smelling a goal here? :hope:

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Caps fans have no reason to boo. That was a good call.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:20 PM
PENS PP COMING UP . . . AGAIN!!

Is anyone smelling a goal here? :hope:

I smell a goal coming until the game is over.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:21 PM
SHIT.

Edman
Good Defense? The Penguins have outshot the Capitals. Varlomov has faced more shots and made great saves.

Flower is getting outplayed today, no shame in admitting that. The game isn't over yet, though.

HometownGal
PP isn't up to snuff today. Still a lot of time left on that clock.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:23 PM
PP isn't up to snuff today. Still a lot of time left on that clock.

Amen to that. It could be 3-3 it a matter of moments. This is the post-season after all.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Varlamov is killing us today. :banging:

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 03:27 PM
I think a good tussle somewhere in the first 2 periods may have further sparked these guys.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Varlamov is killing us today. :banging:

He's a slippery demon.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Watch for Fleury to come out soon.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Come on guys.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 03:30 PM
31 secs left.

LETS GOOOOOO PENS!

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Watch for Fleury to come out soon.

That has happened.

Good idea calling timeout Bylsma.

SteelCityMan786
05-02-2009, 03:31 PM
31 secs left.

LETS GOOOOOO PENS!

they've managed miracles before down 3-2.Who says it can't happen now?

Edman
05-02-2009, 03:34 PM
The end of the most frustrating Penguins games I've ever watched. Vastly outplay a team and lose because our PP sucked. Disgusting. Disgusting. Disgusting.

Varlamov deserves credit though. He made great saves.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I can't really even blame Fleury for this loss - yes, he did give up a soft goal or two, but we were beaten by one man - Simeon Varlamov.

I'm not all that upset - plenty of hockey left to be played and neither team is going to lay down and die.

Looking forward to Monday night and a W. I have no doubt the Pens can win that game and the series. :thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
05-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Gota agree with HTG, Varlamov killed us today. I, like the announcers,thought after the Pen's second goal he was rattled and the Pen's would take advantage. Props to him for pulling a Fleury.

A split is still to our advantage. Even still, as the saying goes in these seven game series, the series starts the first time a team loses at home.

X-Terminator
05-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Varlamov played great no doubt, but if the Pens get a couple of goals on the PP, they win. It's as simple as that. They outplayed the Caps in almost every other fashion. If they can't find a way to score consistently on the PP, the Pens IMO have no chance in this series. Going 0-18 with that kind of talent simply is not acceptable.

Fire Haley
05-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Shoot the damn puck!!!

Pens played too cute all game. This is the playoffs ya know - a little emotion wouldn't hurt.

X-Terminator
05-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Shoot the damn puck!!!

Pens played too cute all game. This is the playoffs ya know - a little emotion wouldn't hurt.

There was a lack of emotion on both sides, really. After all that hype, the game was disappointing in that regard. I expect the Pens to bring a little more emotion on Monday, because they do not want to come back home down 2-0.

X-Terminator
05-02-2009, 03:58 PM
At this point, I would think about putting Malkin back on the point and sitting Letang on the top PP unit. I know I've been strongly against it, but with the shot he has, why not? Letang does not shoot the puck nearly enough, and when he does, it always gets blocked it seems. I would put Crosby, Guerin and Kunitz up front and Malkin/Gonchar on the points. Tell Kunitz to park his ass in front of Varlamov, and have Crosby feed pucks for Malkin and Gonchar to shoot often. Rebound goals count the same as pretty ones. This cute stuff has to stop - it's the playoffs, for crying out loud. Special teams mean everything, and it certainly did today because the Pens were the better team 5-on-5 yet still lost.

HometownGal
05-02-2009, 04:02 PM
I would put Crosby, Guerin and Kunitz up front and Malkin/Gonchar on the points. Tell Kunitz to park his ass in front of Varlamov, and have Crosby feed pucks for Malkin and Gonchar to shoot often. Rebound goals count the same as pretty ones. This cute stuff has to stop - it's the playoffs, for crying out loud. Special teams mean everything, and it certainly did today because the Pens were the better team 5-on-5 yet still lost.

I agree 100%.

I think after today's heartbreaker, we're going to be seeing some changes in the PP - at least I hope so.

It sucks royally to totally outplay a team and still wind up on the shit end of the stick. :banging:

pittsburghp8baller
05-02-2009, 06:00 PM
At this point, I would think about putting Malkin back on the point and sitting Letang on the top PP unit. I know I've been strongly against it, but with the shot he has, why not? Letang does not shoot the puck nearly enough, and when he does, it always gets blocked it seems. I would put Crosby, Guerin and Kunitz up front and Malkin/Gonchar on the points. Tell Kunitz to park his ass in front of Varlamov, and have Crosby feed pucks for Malkin and Gonchar to shoot often. Rebound goals count the same as pretty ones. This cute stuff has to stop - it's the playoffs, for crying out loud. Special teams mean everything, and it certainly did today because the Pens were the better team 5-on-5 yet still lost.

I agree on all of that. It wouldnt be a bad idea to try and put Malkin on the point, but that would mean he would have to shoot the puck. i would actually take more pride in ugly goals, than the pretty ones. it shows that you were willing to work your ass off, def work more than the other team.

it was very simple today, Varalmov beat us. The Cooke penalty didnt help either, i know you want to take a run at OV, but you cant lose control like Cooke did

Fire Haley
05-03-2009, 08:54 AM
It sucks royally to totally outplay a team and still wind up on the shit end of the stick. :banging:

werd

trauben
05-04-2009, 08:55 AM
What a save! There's nothing you can do but take your hat off for a play like this! :hatsoff:

http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/ballhype/story_large/2009/05/02/varlamov_save_1.jpg

Then you have to sit back and shrug it off and come back strong for the next game.

It's done.

The game is lost.

Time to move on.

Here's my thoughts: Simeon Varlamov is young and untested. You cannot deny that he pulled everything he had out for that first home game kicking off a series against the #1 and #3 best scorers in the NHL. He was pumped up and it showed, especially that miraculous save above! But here's what I'm looking for now -- inconsistency from him! I'm looking for a "let down" tonight, plain and simple. What invariably happens when you pump everything you've got into a game? You get an immediate 'let down' and mental exhaustion. Maybe having a day off between the two will help him, but I don't expect to see "consistency" from Varlamov. Especially when we get down to back-to-back games. If anything, this first game could've done us a favor when dealing with this kid. It might have just given him a good shot of over-confidence to the point that he comes out and makes stupid mistakes. Thats when Sid, Evgeni, Staal and others can pick the rest of it apart. :hope:

SteelersinCA
05-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Here's hoping the Pens can get it together!!

Fire Haley
05-04-2009, 10:59 AM
It's May and the Pens are still playing hockey - I can't complain.

Now go out there and kick the crap outta them and act like it's the playoffs

X-Terminator
05-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Must-win game.

Steel Head
05-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Unfortunately I missed most of game 1 :(

So, how did the Caps get that 5-3? Cooke retaliated to OV's big hit? You gotta be smarter than that

Anyone think Satan replaces Sykora tonight? Boucher in?

HometownGal
05-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Unfortunately I missed most of game 1 :(

So, how did the Caps get that 5-3? Cooke retaliated to OV's big hit? You gotta be smarter than that

Anyone think Satan replaces Sykora tonight? Boucher in?

Sarge got called for delay of game because he whacked the puck to get it out of the zone and it went over the glass (most STUPID penalty and I hope they get rid of that next season). Cookie did retaliate and of course, got called on it because it was the NHL poster child. :rolleyes:

Nope - I say leave Sykora in. He played well in Saturday's game, imho - Satan has shown basically nothing. I'd like to see Godard or Boucher in tonight's game for the physical presence. I really believed on Saturday that if someone had stirred things up early in the 3rd, it may have given the Pens the uumph they needed.

With regard to Varlamov - the kid played out of his mind on Saturday night and I'm hoping for a letdown tonight, but I'm not counting on it. He's again playing in front of his home crowd and I'm sure he is auditioning for the starting spot next season. The Pens have GOT to fix their PP and put one or two PPG's in the net tonight. Have to take advantage of EVERY opportunity they are given by the Caps.

LETS GO PENS!!!! :banana:

trauben
05-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Something that Mike Lange mentioned that's worth noting is this.......... In our history of series versus the Caps, the Pens have lost the first game to the Caps 6 out of 7 times. History is repeating itself. :thumbsup:

LET'S GO PENS!
LET'S GO PENS!
:tt02: LET'S GO PENS!:tt02:

Fire Haley
05-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm gonna start drinking early today

I think I saw a stat where it said the Pens PP is 0-17 the last 5 games

For what it's worth, when asked about the game Varlamov said Malkin 'wasn't really even noticeable out there.'

Time to crash the net.

HometownGal
05-04-2009, 01:12 PM
For what it's worth, when asked about the game Varlamov said Malkin 'wasn't really even noticeable out there.'

Time to crash the net.

Yeppers and time to park either Billy G's or Kunitz's butt right in front of Varlamov every time the Pens are in the OZ and particularly on the PP and have Sid feed the puck to Geno. I'm sure that comment didn't sit well with him and he'll be on a mission tonight. We may be thanking Varlamov after tonight's game.

LETS GO PENS! :tt03:

stlrtruck
05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Yeppers and time to park either Billy G's or Kunitz's butt right in front of Varlamov every time the Pens are in the OZ and particularly on the PP and have Sid feed the puck to Geno. I'm sure that comment didn't sit well with him and he'll be on a mission tonight. We may be thanking Varlamov after tonight's game.

Even the NHL analysts are pretty much summing it up that Geno wasn't really the presence in game 1 that he should have been.

LET'S GO PENS
LET'S GO PENS

Must whine, can no lose anymore games!

The_WARDen
05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
question...can the Pens opt to decline the power play? Right now, it's embarassing with all that talent.

Maybe they need to split Crobsy & Malkin up, creating 2 PP lines so to speak...

trauben
05-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Geno fell asleep during the playoffs last year, too.

HometownGal
05-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Geno fell asleep during the playoffs last year, too.

Whelp - thus far in this season's playoffs, he has 10 points (4/6) and in last season's playoffs, he had a total of 22 points (10/12). Not mind-blowing numbers but not shabby either. He and Sid simply cannot be expected to totally carry this team throughout this series or the remainder of the road to the Stanley Cup (if that is to be). The others need to step up their game a few notches and make good decisions. Instead of pretty passing, the boyz need to get the puck to the net every time they are in their OZ. Shoot, shoot, shoot!!! The PP also needs a tune-up and hopefully, we'll see Geno and Serg on the points tonight. :hope:

Fire Haley
05-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Sid needs like a 5pt game to scare the crap out of them.

Just do it

pittsburghp8baller
05-04-2009, 07:21 PM
HE SCORES!!!! CROSBY ON THE PP!!!!

keep aiming for that glove side, thats the third goal ive seen varalomov give up from mishandling a shot with the glove

HometownGal
05-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Good period by the Pens. :thumbsup: Serg with a hard slapshot, Sid was parked on the side of Varlamov and bounced it in on the rebound. They need to keep doing this on the PP.

Are these bozos on Versus watching the same game I'm watching? I thought the Pens outplayed the Caps by a longshot in the 1st, yet they slurped the Caps knobs during this intermission and felt the Caps had the advantage. :banging::coffee: I'm also sick to death of hearing about AO - geez - there are other players on the freakin' ice who are playing just as hard if not harder than that dirty little Geico-caveman looking weasel.

Let's put a couple in the net in the 2nd guys - long way to go yet. Play your game and don't let the Craps draw you into the sin bin.

LETS GO PENS!!! :banana:

pittsburghp8baller
05-04-2009, 08:09 PM
1-1 now, we got pulled into the same thing the Caps did last game. d-man pinches up ice and up in a odd man rush. and anytime you let OV walk into one your asking for trouble.

and another delay of game penalty.

That is SO EASY to avoid, come on now

pittsburghp8baller
05-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Are these bozos on Versus watching the same game I'm watching? I thought the Pens outplayed the Caps by a longshot in the 1st, yet they slurped the Caps knobs during this intermission and felt the Caps had the advantage. :banging::coffee: I'm also sick to death of hearing about AO - geez - there are other players on the freakin' ice who are playing just as hard if not harder than that dirty little Geico-caveman looking weasel.

LETS GO PENS!!! :banana:

i agree but im actually hoping all games are on either Versus or NBC which i figure they will be. id rather listen to them than the straight up retards at the Capitals station.

i can actually handle the play-by-play guy IF he is NOT doing the Caps games, he has a man obsession with OV

pittsburghp8baller
05-04-2009, 08:24 PM
SIDNEY CROSBY!!!!! 2-1

maybe we need Sid in front of the net on the PP?

Edman
05-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Tied all over again. 2-2.

MAF hasn't been very hot in this series.

OneForTheToe
05-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Gota hold them here on this PP.

pittsburghp8baller
05-04-2009, 08:47 PM

i think Fleury has been playing real good. He hasnt had the spectacular saves that Varlamov has made but he has been making some good saves. that second goal was a fluke re-direct off of Eatons shin, Fleury was in position to make that save and he shouldnt of been as close to saving the put back as he was. Great goaltending by the two youngest goalies left in the playoffs.

HometownGal
05-04-2009, 08:47 PM

I think Fleury has played fairly well. Letang didn't see Steckel hanging around to Fleury's left and he was at the right place at the right time.

The Craps fans make me want to :puke: Everytime one of our guys even looks at AO crooked, they want a penalty. :jerkit:

As I said last game - they need to stop trying to make those glitzy passes and bombard Varlamov with shots - park Guerin or Kunitz - someone - anyone - in front of him and take in a rebound like on the first goal.

LETS GO PENS!!! :tt03:

KeiselPower99
05-04-2009, 08:55 PM
From what Ive watched its been a good game. I hope Malkin gets his groove on her soon and show why he is the best player in the league.

HometownGal
05-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Start of the third. Pens have to bring their A+++ game to this period and take the crowd out of this game. I'd still love to see an early period energy scuffle.

Steel Head
05-04-2009, 09:01 PM
nice dive by Ovechkin, what an a$$clown

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Are we all being good fans and keeping the faith? :rofl: But in all seriousness, are we all keeping the faith?

pittsburghp8baller
05-04-2009, 09:05 PM
nice dive by Ovechkin, what an a$$clown

i like how Doc Emerick put it

'even if you put up the no salesman sign on your door, every so often a salesman will still ring the doorbell'

obvious fake there but at least we killed it

may take another Sid goal to win this

OneForTheToe
Having to watch the game online because I don't get Versus.:banging:

I am streaming a Canadian Broadcast.

pittsburghp8baller
Are we all being good fans and keeping the faith? :rofl: But in all seriousness, are we all keeping the faith?

im keeping the faith!!!

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2009, 09:06 PM
i like how Doc Emerick put it

'even if you put up the no salesman sign on your door, every so often a salesman will still ring the doorbell'

obvious fake there but at least we killed it

may take another Sid goal to win this

I don't care who scores the goal for Pittsburgh as long as the Penguins have more points at the end of the game I'll be happy.

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2009, 09:07 PM
im keeping the faith!!!

Good to see we have people believing.

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2009, 09:08 PM
I'd like to see a replay on the Poti out of bounds pass.

pittsburghp8baller
05-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Good to see we have people believing.

will never give in until its all over.

Im really hoping that some1 else will step up and win it for us we are gonna need more than Sid and Fleury to even this series up

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2009, 09:14 PM
will never give in until its all over.

Im really hoping that some1 else will step up and win it for us we are gonna need more than Sid and Fleury to even this series up

Agreed. I don't mind Sidney scoring, but I also would like to see more people helping him out.

pittsburghp8baller
05-04-2009, 09:16 PM
bout dam time!

Lets get the PP working!

put freaking Sid in front of the net! or Kunitz and Sid. but sid has got to be around that net when the shot is taken

pittsburghp8baller
05-04-2009, 09:20 PM
well, there goes that. not a bad start, but HORRIBLE finish. now we got to go back on the kill

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Malkin was called for a BULLSHIT penalty. I have never seen a more delayed reaction.

OneForTheToe
05-04-2009, 09:21 PM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2009, 09:25 PM
The refs need to stop slobbering Bodreau's knob.

OneForTheToe
05-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Come on Marc you have to be better than that.

pittsburghp8baller
05-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Come on Marc you have to be better than that.

no way he saw that. OV used Gonchar as a screen and pulled it back and threw it glove hand.

Gonchar has got to find a way to block/deflect that.

EDIT- im not giving a Fleury a complete free pass, but a shot as hard as that going back the other way off a screen is real hard to stop

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2009, 09:29 PM
FLEURY QUIT PLAYING OUTSIDE OF THE ****ING CREASE!!!!

X-Terminator
05-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Well this one is over. The one guy they absolutely could not allow to beat them did that tonight.

There are a LOT of people who need to start stepping up for the Pens, starting with Malkin. He's been invisible in both games. Crosby was the only one who showed up tonight.

Now they'll have to win 4 of 5. Not impossible, but it's going to be very, very difficult. Just win the 2 games at home and go from there.

OneForTheToe
05-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Well this one is over. The one guy they absolutely could not allow to beat them did that tonight.

There are a LOT of people who need to start stepping up for the Pens, starting with Malkin. He's been invisible in both games. Crosby was the only one who showed up tonight.

Now they'll have to win 4 of 5. Not impossible, but it's going to be very, very difficult. Just win the 2 games at home and go from there.

We are still in this until we lose a home game. We have to win our home games and then probably take our chance in a game seven. We have done it before.

Before last night the Bruins and Wings looked unbeatable.

We can come back

pittsburghp8baller
05-04-2009, 09:40 PM

There are a LOT of people who need to start stepping up for the Pens, starting with Malkin. He's been invisible in both games.

yea, we are gonna need a COMPLETE team effort the rest of the way if we are going to comeback.

Sid just got the hatty. if he plays baseball, he is probably a .300 career hitter. he is the ONLY guy to show up (Fleury would be next, even though he hasnt had his best game not a bad one but not the one we needed from him).

Steel Head
05-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Crosby is like a 1 man team out there

Rest of them need to step it up

stlrtruck
05-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I have an idea, let's play hockey without moving our freakin' feet. That's what I saw out there in the third. The penguins weren't even moving. They played that way last year in the finals and they're playing that way now. They aren't moving the puck, they aren't moving their feet, and as a matter of fact, right now they're not really playing hockey!

They need to start hitting, they need to start shooting. No shots on the second to last penalty play - they looked dead.

Fleury and Crosby can't do it all. For all the glory that Malkin has received where the heck has he been this post-season? It's the freakin' capitals, they've got one player and a goal tender that is playing above his head!

KeiselPower99
05-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Damn.

HometownGal
05-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Another heartbreaker.

All we can do at this point is come home and take 2 from The Washington Ovechkins. Nothing really else to say at this point.

They're comin' to OUR HOUSE and I'm not giving up on 'em. We've been down before and have resurrected.

Bottom line is - Crosby can't do it alone and shouldn't be expected to. I refuse to get on Malkin's shit - he'll come around and if I'm a betting person (which I am) - I'm betting on him in the next game.

The Pens cannot allow AO to hang around in that circle like he's been doing and though they scored their first goal on a PP, it's GOT to get better if they want a shot at taking 2 at home.

I BELIEVE! :tt03:

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Another heartbreaker.

All we can do at this point is come home and take 2 from The Washington Ovechkins. Nothing really else to say at this point.

They're comin' to OUR HOUSE and I'm not giving up on 'em. We've been down before and have resurrected.

Bottom line is - Crosby can't do it alone and shouldn't be expected to. I refuse to get on Malkin's shit - he'll come around and if I'm a betting person (which I am) - I'm betting on him in the next game.

The Pens cannot allow AO to hang around in that circle like he's been doing and though they scored their first goal on a PP, it's GOT to get better if they want a shot at taking 2 at home.

Same here, no matter how hard it is to be a believer.

Crosby needs more help then just himself. Also, Fleury despite some stupidity, needs help in front of the net.

Stupid penalties are going to hurt this team especially when the Capitals are THAT good with the Power Play.

Bottom Line: If they can take Ovechkin out, the Penguins can win any game.

Edman
05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Crosby has carried this team in this series. The Penguins play for 20-40 minutes in a 60 minute game. Another game where we jump on the Capitals, then falter. We're just unable to finish against these fools.

Now we're down 2-0 heading back home. We've been down by worse. Oh well.

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Crosby has carried this team in this series. The Penguins play for 20-40 minutes in a 60 minute game. Another game where we jump on the Capitals, then falter. We're just unable to finish against these fools.

Now we're down 2-0 heading back home. We've been down by worse. Oh well.

Not to mention the Penguins have come back from series deficits before. They can do it again.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-05-2009, 12:32 AM
I want to know why they can't lockdown Ovenchkin. Of all the people on the team to give a clean shot at the net you chose him.

Also, where is the FIRE?

Hit someone!

And quit passing so damn much, shoot the puck and hope for a rebound. It doesn't have to be pretty, just get some goals!

trauben
05-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Another heartbreaker.
FOR SURE! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sad/sad-049.gif

Bottom line is - Crosby can't do it alone and shouldn't be expected to. I refuse to get on Malkin's shit - he'll come around and if I'm a betting person (which I am) - I'm betting on him in the next game.This is what I was saying last night after watching Neanderthal man smack in the tie-breaker and then a hat trick. I'll admit that at that point when I saw the hats tossed out onto the ice, I turned the TV off and stomped upstairs complaining that it couldn't all be Sid and how I had hoped he would get a hat trick instead. Obviously I didn't get to see Sid's LIVE because I had turned the TV off to cuss like a sailor! Sid is doing all he can and he's getting no real help with shots on goal, and those that did? Well damn, I think this "rookie" is taking this stuff seriously (seriously though I didn't expect this from this kid and I hope he putters out soon). Sid can not do this alone. I'm sick of seeing a "fake" hit and passing! Just fire the damned biscuit into the net already!

I don't want to get on Evgeni's ass either HTG, I love Evgeni, but this is deja vous all over again right now. Last year I refused to get on his ass and defended him. But you do expect more from the #1 scorer in the NHL, even if his team mates aren't showing up. #2 and #3 are the ones showing up to play!

And I heard it last night as well ........ that stupid air horn as the game is in progress. :mad: How in the hell do they allow that? I sure hope that our new arena will have the most OBNOXIOUS goal horn that last a long long long time as well. I want bells, whistles and extra red flashing lights all around the damned ice! Are you listening Mario? :thumbsup:

I BELIEVE!
ABSOLUTELY! :thmbup: It's way too early in the series not to believe! The next two games are HOME! I won't stop believing either, I'm just frustrated and venting right now.

Don't Stop Believing' song here and crank up the volume!!!]

SteelMember
05-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Another heartbreaker.

I'm with you HTG.

The biggest disappointment for me is they look like they're sleep walking out there. They now seem to have problems getting it through the neutral zone, and when they finally do, they have no speed. Gonchar looked like he was skating in mud last night. They really look tired, like the energy was sucked out of them. And where's the physicality? I not sure of the numbers, but it looked like we only gave 3-4 good hits. This team has got to pick it up. Every player. Every Line.

Someone hit the alarm...cause it's time to WAKE UP!

KeiselPower99
05-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Not to sound dirty but we need to take ovechkin out of the game. That is truely easier said then done I know.

trauben
05-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Not to sound dirty but we need to take ovechkin out of the game. That is truely easier said then done I know.
No. I want to beat that rented mule fair and square so he knows he was whooped! I want no excuses.

If we could just cut out his speed threat that would be great!

We came out in this game, as we did the first, looking great. I don't want to "look" great anymore, I don't care if we look sloppy-assed out there as long as we take it to them in the Igloo!

Now more than ever we need the home town crowd to let their presence be KNOWN!

HometownGal
05-05-2009, 10:52 AM

We at least need to send him a very strong message via a bashing into the boards several times during the game. Pens also need to keep him out of those circles where he seems to be the most dangerous.

I've said this before - I believe strongly that the Pens need to stir things up via an energy scuffle here and there. Put Godard into the lineup and let him do what he does best. I'd really like to see more physical play in this series which is sorely lacking.

Gonchar looked like he was skating in mud last night.

I thought Serg played a pretty good game last night and has played very well throughout these playoffs. He had 4 SOG and over 16 minutes on the ice in last night's loss - like Crosby and Fleury (and Malkin) - he can't do it all. Orpik has also played very well in this series, as has Eaton.

These are two teams that are very similarly matched but their advantage in this series has been the play of Varlamov, imho. The guy is a net beast. :banging:

Fire Haley
05-05-2009, 11:30 AM
These things we know so far...

Varlamov > Fleury

Ovechkin > Malkin

And you wondered why I wanted home ice.

The_WARDen
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Same here, no matter how hard it is to be a believer.

Crosby needs more help then just himself. Also, Fleury despite some stupidity, needs help in front of the net.

Stupid penalties are going to hurt this team especially when the Capitals are THAT good with the Power Play.

Bottom Line: If they can take Ovechkin out, the Penguins can win any game.

unfortunately the same can be said for the Caps. Take Crosby out and the Pens have no chance.

The_WARDen
05-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I want to know why they can't lockdown Ovenchkin. Of all the people on the team to give a clean shot at the net you chose him.

Also, where is the FIRE?

Hit someone!

And quit passing so damn much, shoot the puck and hope for a rebound. It doesn't have to be pretty, just get some goals!

I agree...the thing that REALLY annoyed me last night was when the caveman was jawing with Fleury after a stopped play and NO ONE even stepped in! That was embarassing...I can't imagine the good ole days of Tocchet or Stevens ever letting some clown jaw at Barasso like that. :banging:

HometownGal
05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
I can't imagine the good ole days of Tocchet or Stevens ever letting some clown jaw at Barasso like that. :banging:

Barasso needed no backup. He bludgeoned people with his stick when they got in his face and/or came into his crease and gave back every ounce of shit he was given. :thumbsup: Personally, I thought the guy was :screwy: but one helluva playoff goaltender.

Varlamov has definitely outplayed Fleury thus far in this series. Hopefully with home ice and the "seventh man on the ice", the Pens will turn this around and win 2 in the Igloo. :tt03:

X-Terminator
05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Anyone else think that maybe...just maybe...the Pens have run out of gas? Remember, they had to bust ass for the last 2 months just to get into the playoffs, and are coming off a very intense and physical series against the Flyers that I'm sure took a lot out of them. That could be why they looked lethargic last night and at times during the Flyers series when they were outplayed for the majority of the series. I couldn't really blame them if they're physically and mentally tapped because of all of that. At any rate, they need some guys to raise their games if they have any chance of coming back to win this series, and again, it starts with Geno. It's too early to pin this label on him, I know, but he could be another Jagr in the making - great in the regular season, disappears in the playoffs. I'd expect the league's leading scorer and rightful MVP to have more of an impact in this series. Crosby isn't Superman - he can't carry the team by himself.

trauben
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I agree...the thing that REALLY annoyed me last night was when the caveman was jawing with Fleury after a stopped play and NO ONE even stepped in! That was embarassing..
Boy was that ever an angry moment!

Man I miss Ruutu!

trauben
05-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Anyone else think that maybe...just maybe...the Pens have run out of gas? Remember, they had to bust ass for the last 2 months just to get into the playoffs, and are coming off a very intense and physical series against the Flyers that I'm sure took a lot out of them. That could be why they looked lethargic last night and at times during the Flyers series when they were outplayed for the majority of the series. I couldn't really blame them if they're physically and mentally tapped because of all of that. At any rate, they need some guys to raise their games if they have any chance of coming back to win this series, and again, it starts with Geno. It's too early to pin this label on him, I know, but he could be another Jagr in the making - great in the regular season, disappears in the playoffs. I'd expect the league's leading scorer and rightful MVP to have more of an impact in this series. Crosby isn't Superman - he can't carry the team by himself.

Interesting thought. I doubt that Gonch has puttered out. He just got back into the lineup. Pretty much the same with Sid. But you're right about Evgeni, we need him now, not if we get to the Cup like last year.

Rek
05-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm a little worried to be honest. They are down 2 and I see no heart, no determination, no passion from the Pens (aside from Sid). Malkin has been invisible, guys are not finishing their checks, and players need to cover better on D. Last year, they had the aggression and power and maid players pay, but this year's version seems, dare I say, a bit soft.

God, I hope they turn it up a notch at home. They need a spark.

Let's Go Pens! :tt03:

trauben
05-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Talbot jump started that one game last series with a fight. But he's been subdued in this series thusfar.

Brooks is present, but I'd still love to see him go on a roll like he did last year to the Wings.

We're playing too clean. Hopefully the home ice will get the ball rolling. :hope:

SteelMember
05-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Now more than ever we need the home town crowd to let their presence be KNOWN!

They need a better showing than that game 5 vs. the flyers. Disappointing!

I thought Serg played a pretty good game last night and has played very well throughout these playoffs. He had 4 SOG and over 16 minutes on the ice in last night's loss - like Crosby and Fleury (and Malkin) - he can't do it all. Orpik has also played very well in this series, as has Eaton.

I'm not saying he hasn't played well, although I would have liked to see more than a soft stick check on that one on one goal. Stand the guy up for @#$! sake. :noidea:

I just thought the guys looked slow, especially bringing it out of the defensive zone. They sure passed it back plenty of times. :mad:

X-T could have a good point about being tired and fatigued, but I look at it like this...You're one step closer to what you've been fighting for all year. At least look like you want it! There's plenty of time to sleep when you're dead! :chuckle:

Steel Head
05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Boucher has been known for some big hits, hopefully he levels that fag Ovechkin

Edman
05-05-2009, 02:30 PM
The Penguins are not quite finished in this series, but XT may have a point. The Penguins just may be running out of gas.

The Pens haven't played a complete hockey game since Game 1 against the Flyers, and were damn close to Philly taking them to seven games. Flower's play and the Defense leaves a lot to be desired. Flower hasn't had any help from the mediocre defensive play, but he's allowed some ridiculous softies at the worst possible moment. Usually after the Pens get a goal. It's been evident throughout both games in this series. The defensive play just gets worse as the game goes on. And we lose.

SteelCityMan786
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
unfortunately the same can be said for the Caps. Take Crosby out and the Pens have no chance.

UNLESS someone else finds a way to step up first.

The_WARDen
05-05-2009, 03:53 PM
UNLESS someone else finds a way to step up first.

wake me when that happens...

The_WARDen
05-05-2009, 03:54 PM

I don't buy that running out gas excuse. They had 7 days off between series...that is time enough for world class athletes to refuel.

Steel Head
05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't buy that running out gas excuse. They had 7 days off between series...that is time enough for world class athletes to refuel.

+1

let's quit making stupid excuses

pittsburghp8baller
05-05-2009, 06:39 PM
anyone hear anything on Letang?

looked kind of serious, his arm was caught in between Mike Green and the boards.

HometownGal
05-05-2009, 06:49 PM

And also plenty of time for world class athletes to grow a little rust (especially with regard to Game 1).

I'm a realist and as much as I hate to admit it - the Caps are a damned good hockey team with a hot goalie. While I still have a helluva lot of faith left in my Pens that they can pull out this series, if they don't, I'm still going to be very proud of what they accomplished this season when I didn't think they had a snowball's chance in hell of making the playoffs mid-season.

LETS GO PENS!

paw-n-maul-u
05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I am not going to freak out at all yet about this series. This is one Malkin confidence boosting goal away from turning into a 4-2 Pens series.

SERIOUSLY ... If malkin and Fleury both get their heads out of each others asses, then this series should be over.

Pens are AT THE VERY WORST going to win one game in Pitt. ... and think about it, if they win two, the momentum has switched and it puts ALLLLL of the pressure on the Caps to defend the home turf and not let a monumental let down.

Caps goalie is GOINGGGG to have a bad game where he gets eaten alive in a 7-2 victory. he is 20 years old.

I envision a 3-2 pens win on wednesday ... and a 7-2 crushing on friday with crosby and malkin both having two goals. MARK IT DOWN.

you can't even bump that scenario, because that is so likely and everyone knows it. I hate that P.O.S. Ovechkin who can't even string together a friggen sentence. listen to his post game interview from game 1, christ he sounds ridiculous. I guess it's just because I'm a steelers fan stuck in redskin nation, but mannnnnn I hate how everyone sucks him off around here.

mark it down

3-2 pens game 3

6 or 7-2 pens game 4

Pens win series 4-2 after two veryyyyy close ... EPIC game 5 and 6

X-Terminator
05-05-2009, 08:52 PM

+1

let's quit making stupid excuses

It was just a thought, OK? I didn't consider the week off they had. But my overall point still stands - someone other than Crosby needs to step up.

NEPAsteeler
05-05-2009, 09:35 PM
The Pittsburgh Pens are down 2-0 to Washington.

The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (the AHL affiliate of the Pens and my hometown team) are down 2-0 to the Hershey Bears (the AHL affiliate of the Caps).

Too much irony for me.

Steel Head
05-05-2009, 09:43 PM
It was just a thought, OK? I didn't consider the week off they had. But my overall point still stands - someone other than Crosby needs to step up.

Most def. didnt mean to jump on u like that

I think Boucher might help, he was one of our best players that 1 game vs Philly

X-Terminator
05-06-2009, 07:37 AM
BTW, Kunitz was fined $2,500 by the league for this cross-check on Varlamov:

T_2Fb2V8EfU

trauben
05-06-2009, 08:08 AM
And also plenty of time for world class athletes to grow a little rust (especially with regard to Game 1).

I'm a realist and as much as I hate to admit it - the Caps are a damned good hockey team with a hot goalie. While I still have a helluva lot of faith left in my Pens that they can pull out this series, if they don't, I'm still going to be very proud of what they accomplished this season when I didn't think they had a snowball's chance in hell of making the playoffs mid-season.

LETS GO PENS!
Let's reflect for a moment at some facts.

#1 1991 Playoff run to a Cup Victory - Penguins had their backs to the wall as they dropped the first 2 games on the road to the Boston Bruins. However, upon arriving back in Pittsburgh the Penguins evened the series with two straight 4-1 wins.

#2 1992 Playoff run to a Cup Victory - Penguins were pushed to the brink right away as they fell behind 3 games to 1 against the Washington Capitals. However, the Champions would not go out quietly as they rallied to win the series in 7 games.

#3 1995 - In the playoffs the Penguins appeared to be heading for a quick exit as they trailed the Washington Capitals 3 games to 1. In Game 4 the Penguins would trail again, however they would rally to tie the game at 5 and force overtime where Luc Robitaille knocked in the game winner to keep the Pens hopes alive. The Penguins would go on to win the next 2 games by a combined score of 10-1 to advance to the 2nd round in 7 games.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/pittsburgh/penguins.html

If it's any hope at all, we've "been here done this before", and in years we won the Cup! This might very well be a good omen? :hope:

Granted, I know we don't have Lemeiux, Francis, Jagr, and company on the ice this time around, but we do have the same type of pedigree on this team, and we do have Lemeiux's presence. You have to KNOW he's reminding them of the Penguins past predicaments during a successful Cup run, and he's telling them exactly what it took to pull it off. I think that this kind of "pep talk" and reality check, coming from the guy who did it himself, can really inspire, recharge and motivate these guys to pull this out, especially on home ice!
anyone hear anything on Letang?

looked kind of serious, his arm was caught in between Mike Green and the boards.
I heard he's questionable and that it's a "strength" issue, not an injury per se.
BTW, Kunitz was fined $2,500 by the league for this cross-check on Varlamov
I think we're lucky he didn't get a suspension!

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Ummmm, trauben - let's look at the facts here. I wasn't saying that I don't believe the Pens can come back and win this series. :doh: I was simply saying that the Caps are a damned good hockey team (which they are) and that IF (key word being "if") they don't win this series, I am proud of them for getting as far as they did when I (along with a lot of others Pens fans, XT included) didn't really feel they'd even make the playoffs at mid-season.

I've been one of the most (if not THE most) optimistic Pens fans on this board and I believe they can win this series, as I said above.

The_WARDen
05-06-2009, 08:50 AM

LETS GO PENS!

So, you're proud of a team that laid down like a bunch of dogs in order to get their coach canned?

I think Bylsma is a decent guy...but these guys wanted to play for him an not Therrien.

They have no one to blame but themselves for dogging it 3/4's of the year...THAT part I'm not proud of.

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 09:32 AM
So, you're proud of a team that laid down like a bunch of dogs in order to get their coach canned?

I think Bylsma is a decent guy...but these guys wanted to play for him an not Therrien.

They have no one to blame but themselves for dogging it 3/4's of the year...THAT part I'm not proud of.

I've heard rumors with regard to your first statement above, but never read it from any reliable source. Do you have one?

I wasn't happy at first with the manner in which they fired Therrien and I'm still not. However, that being said, Bylsma has done a bang-up job with this team and that cannot be denied.

I don't believe the Pens "dogged it" - they are professionals and I don't believe Mario would have tolerated that childish nonsense. I think they realized late in the season that getting a playoff spot wasn't a "given" - they had to bust their asses sooner rather than later to make the playoffs and they did just that and then some. At this point, I don't care what they did in the regular season or in seasons past. All I care about is the present.

Though I would prefer it, I don't expect any of the teams I love to be successful every single season. As with football, there are highs, lows and rebuilds with any sports franchise. While I will continue to be my optimistic self and believe the Pens can and will rise to the occasion and win this series, if they don't, while I will be a little disappointed, it isn't the end of the world nor is it the end of my diehard support for this team that I've loved almost as long as the Steelers.

LETS GO PENS!

trauben
05-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Ummmm, trauben - let's look at the facts here. I wasn't saying that I don't believe the Pens can come back and win this series. :doh:
And I didn't read you that way either, I just wanted to put some good omen into the thread with reflections on our past achievements! :tt02:

X-Terminator
05-06-2009, 11:10 AM

They did not "dog it" for 3/4 of the year. Do you not remember that they got off to one of the best starts in franchise history? That stretch ended up saving their asses at the end when they put together the streak to get them in the playoffs. They struggled for about 1/3 of the season.

It's pretty well-known that many of the players did not like Therrien, present and former. Recchi didn't like him, neither did Ruutu and Brooks Orpik almost left town because he didn't get along with him. Some had more of a problem with Andre Savard than Therrien. But I would not say they laid down like dogs to get him canned - as HTG said, Mario would not stand for that kind of display. There were a lot more factors involved in their struggles, losing their top D-man in the first preseason game being at the top of the list while already having their #2 D-man out of the lineup. At various stages of the season, they were without Fleury, Kennedy, Letang, Boucher (after he was acquired), Zigomanis (done for the year), Talbot, Dupuis and Fedotenko for extended periods of time. It was kind of a perfect storm, and ultimately Therrien paid the price with his job. Bylsma has come in and done a great job, and has earned the HC job...and yes, the players enjoy playing for him. He's much more of a player's coach than Therrien ever was, which isn't surprising since he's just 5 years removed from playing himself, and the players like that.

trauben
05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
It's pretty well-known that many of the players did not like Therrien, present and former. Recchi didn't like him, neither did Ruutu and Brooks Orpik almost left town because he didn't get along with him. Some had more of a problem with Andre Savard than Therrien. But I would not say they laid down like dogs to get him canned - as HTG said, Mario would not stand for that kind of display. There were a lot more factors involved in their struggles, losing their top D-man in the first preseason game being at the top of the list while already having their #2 D-man out of the lineup. At various stages of the season, they were without Fleury, Kennedy, Letang, Boucher (after he was acquired), Zigomanis (done for the year), Talbot, Dupuis and Fedotenko for extended periods of time. It was kind of a perfect storm, and ultimately Therrien paid the price with his job. Bylsma has come in and done a great job, and has earned the HC job...and yes, the players enjoy playing for him. He's much more of a player's coach than Therrien ever was, which isn't surprising since he's just 5 years removed from playing himself, and the players like that.
I had heard that Guerin supposedly had it in his contract that he wouldn't go to the Pens if Therrien were the coach. Until I heard that, I never realized there was some dissension between Therrien and the players.

stlrtruck
05-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Though I would prefer it, I don't expect any of the teams I love to be successful every single season. As with football, there are highs, lows and rebuilds with any sports franchise. While I will continue to be my optimistic self and believe the Pens can and will rise to the occasion and win this series, if they don't, while I will be a little disappointed, it isn't the end of the world nor is it the end of my diehard support for this team that I've loved almost as long as the Steelers.

LETS GO PENS!

What I can't stand as a fan is watching my belove team get out played throughout the game. It seemed that the Pens were just tired and not skating very well in game 2. The caps were going full speed (at least it seemed that way) for the puck the entire game while the Pens seemed to be frozen in place.

I don't expect them to win a championship (as nice as it would be) every year, but I do expect them to be competitive. Meaning giving it your all, and in this case, hitting someone (specifically Ovarian), getting the puck, shooting the puck, and cleaning up the rebounds. It seems that anytime we have the puck down low that no one is coming down the weak side for an easy one timer. They hold on to the puck for that "perfect" one timer.

But I agree that IF they by chance lose this series, it will not end my dedication to the team.

Play Hockey! PERIOD! Ok for 3 periods!

LETS GO PENS
LETS GO PENS
LETS GO PENS

Steel Head
05-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Until I heard that, I never realized there was some dissension between Therrien and the players.

Wow, where have you been? First year following hockey?

The rift between Therrien and players has been no secret

Fire Haley
05-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Gotta get it up for the home crowd.
Just win tonight.

That's all - just win.

wardislord
05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
LET'S GO PENS!:tt03:

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Hmmmm. Very interesting. :scratchchin: I also read an article today where a couple of the Pens are questioning the curve of The Geico caveman's blade.

Also - according to an article on the Pens' website, Kris Letang may not play in tonight's game. Boucher would step in if necessary.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_623826.html

Penguins say Caps' picks littering series

By Rob Rossi, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Picking the Penguins to win four of five potential remaining playoff games against the Washington Capitals probably isn't the worst bet in professional sports.

Of course, picking the Penguins might just allow the Capitals to essentially end this best-of-seven Eastern Conference semifinal series before it really begins.

"It's tough," Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar said Tuesday of perceived plays involving illegal picks that he and many teammates believe Capitals players have committed through two home victories in the series.

"I thought the league was against it. They called that during the regular season. Unfortunately they aren't doing it now."

No complaint is insignificant in a playoff series, and this Penguins' beef carries some weight — if the plays they question, both involving goals by Capitals left wing Alex Ovechkin, indeed were against the rules.

The Penguins tail this series, 2-0, and each loss came by a goal after the teams entered the third period tied.

A pivotal Game 3 is tonight at Mellon Arena. The Penguins have never won a series they trailed, 3-0, but they have claimed seven best-of-seven postseason affairs in which they won Game 3 at home.

To win tonight they need to cap Ovechkin's scoring chances. He is tied with Penguins center Sidney Crosby for the series lead with four goals, and he has been credited with 21 shots on 36 attempts.

"He's the kind of player that, if you give him a little room, he doesn't need too much to get a goal," Penguins defenseman Hal Gill said. "A lot of other players, if you give them room will get off a shot. He'll get a little more. That shot he's got is pretty effective.

"We have to take him out of the play as much as we can."

Trouble is, Penguins such as left wing and prime penalty-killer Matt Cooke say, Ovechkin's teammates are creating free space for him by running interference — a foul according to the NHL's rule No. 56, but one allegedly not assessed enough by referees in this series.

Cooke claims Capitals defenseman Mike Green interfered with Penguins center Jordan Staal on a 5-on-3 power-play goal by Ovechkin in Game 1. Cooke believes he was interfered with on Ovechkin's third-period power-play goal in Game 2 that snapped a tie.

"We've talked to the referees, and I know we showed them tape," Cooke said. "It's a blatant play. I'm nowhere near the puck. (A player) is not allowed to touch me.

"It's a penalty. ... Call the game accordingly. The rules are the rules. It's not a guessing game."

The Capitals are 2-for-7 on the power play in the series, but the Penguins will take their chances on the penalty kill — provided, of course, on-ice officials don't force them to alter their approach by allowing interference.

Staal said the alleged non-calls have hurt the Penguins on faceoffs. They won only 38 percent of draws in Game 2.

"They've got a few (pick) faceoff plays and stuff," he said. "When you have Ovechkin and (Capitals winger Alexander Semin) waiting to fire one from the top of the circle, it's tough to judge what's going to happen."

Staal added that the Penguins simply need to win some draws, though coach Dan Bylsma said the Capitals' penchant for pick-plays significantly alters players' approaches to faceoffs.

"It should; you know there is going to be contact," Bylsma said, later acknowledging that he has addressed the Capitals' would-be interference fouls with referees.

"They talk to us about what they are looking for. They told us (in Game 2) they were looking for that situation and didn't feel it merited a call."

If that trend continues tonight, the Penguins must adjust fast, Gonchar said.

"You have to deal with it, make sure that position-wise you are better and don't give them a chance," he said. "Bring attention to the referees right before. Sometimes those things are obvious, but sometimes they aren't."

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-06-2009, 05:08 PM
I read that article too, supposedly someone else questioned it earlier in the season (or another season).

We get a power play if we win the challenge, they get one if we loose.

Seems a weak penalty for having an illegal curve on your stick.

:flap:

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
It's a hockey night in da Burgh!!!!

Game is on Versus - damn it. Another night of listening to the two stooges slurp Geico caveman's knob. :rolleyes: I may be muting my TV and listening to Mike Lange on the radio. They're already ragging on the Pens because of the lack of goal production from the "little guys" (they do have a point) but in all reality - the Caps haven't had much scoring out of anyone other than AO.

Minutes away from dropping the opening puck! LETS GO PENS!!!!

And for God's sake - will the crowd PLEASE get into and stay into the game????

SteelCityMan786
05-06-2009, 07:14 PM
COME ON FLEURY. DON'T BE STUPID.

SteelCityMan786
05-06-2009, 07:19 PM
And for God's sake - will the crowd PLEASE get into and stay into the game????

So far you're getting what you wanted. :tt03:

KeiselPower99
05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Come on Pens

Steel Head
05-06-2009, 07:51 PM
dang, Kunitz was about to bury that before that Crapital pushed the net off

We gotta score on the PP to start the 3rd here

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
So far you're getting what you wanted. :tt03:

Well for a few minutes anyway. I heard some boos after the Pens first PP. These guys need their support, not their freakin' boos in a 1-0 game.

Pens seemed to have awakened late in the 2nd. They need to keep Kunitz or Guerrin around Varlamov when the Pens are in the OZ. I agree - we need to score on this PP to start the second and keep the momentum shifting the Pens way.

SteelCityMan786
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
dang, Kunitz was about to bury that before that Crapital pushed the net off

We gotta score on the PP to start the 3rd here

You mean the 2nd??? :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

In all seriousness, we need to take advantage of the power play. IT CAN BE DONE!!!

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 08:03 PM
IT CAN BE DONE!!!

Sure it can. I have all the faith in the world in this team. :thumbsup:

I love Bylsma, but I wish he'd leave the freakin' lines alone. Therrien did the same thing. Don't fix what isn't broken. :doh:

SteelCityMan786
05-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Sure it can. I have all the faith in the world in this team. :thumbsup:

I love Bylsma, but I wish he'd leave the freakin' lines alone. Therrien did the same thing. Don't fix what isn't broken. :doh:

Fleury should stay in the crease to.

I STILL BELIEVE!!!

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 08:18 PM
GOAL - - - FEDETENKO!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Pens on PP again!!! Let's Capital----ize!!!! :banana:

RunWillieRun
05-06-2009, 08:21 PM
PP TIME BABY!!!

LET'S GO PENS!!

SteelCityMan786
05-06-2009, 08:22 PM
THANK YOU RUSLAN!!!!!!!

Steel Head
05-06-2009, 08:28 PM
We gotta freakin win this!!!!!

2 points:

1 - Letang is playing horrible, we should have dressed Boucher

2 - Everyone is getting on Malkin but where the F is Staal this whole series????

Steel Head
05-06-2009, 08:33 PM
intensity is picking up

Dupuis and Satan looking good

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
2 points:

1 - Letang is playing horrible, we should have dressed Boucher

2 - Everyone is getting on Malkin but where the F is Staal this whole series????

Agreed with regard to Letang. He's definitely not up to snuff tonight.

Staal has been making a lot of plays and battling on the boards for the puck. I'd like to see him put one in the net, but I really have no complaints about his play - at least he's bringing it.

My question remains the same - WTH doesn't Bylsma put Malkin on the point with Serg on the PP??? :banging::banging::banging:

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Another Pens PP!!!

If they don't score here, they'll open the 3rd still on the PP.

LETS GOOOOOOO PENS!!!