PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Re-sign Wide Receiver Mays.. Morgan on IR

Prosdo
01-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Steelers Re-sign Wide Receiver Mays

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers signed wide receiver Lee Mays to a one-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

Mays was signed after wide receiver/kick returner Quincy Morgan was placed on the Reserved/Injured List following a broken leg that he suffered during the AFC Wild Card Game at Cincinnati.

Mays, who was originally selected by the Steelers in the sixth round (202nd overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft, had caught 11 passes for 154 yards (14.0 avg.) and returned 36 kickoffs for 750 yards (20.8 avg.) in his three seasons with the team. Mays was with the Steelers during the 2005 preseason, but missed a part of training camp with an injured hamstring.

Mays was released by the team on Sept. 6.

Link: http://news.steelers.com/article/61233/

I was kind of surprised when I heard this. But it is the logical choice. Lee knows the playbook and he has been to the playoff before.

Rotorhead
01-10-2006, 06:59 PM
HHmmm I wonder if he will even step onto the field this weekend, Morgan is getting surgery on his leg. I wonder if the Steelers will try to retain ARE now . . . hope so!

Man_Of_Steel
01-10-2006, 07:38 PM
This is wierd. Signed him to a 1 year deal? Does this mean somebody isn't coming back(Morgan)? I guess they can release Mays again once Morgan comes back next year.

Rotorhead
01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Morgan is having surgery on his broken leg, and he and ARE are free agents after this year. But I think that you have to sign them for a year contract minimum in instances like this.

Justin Otstott
01-10-2006, 09:02 PM
wow! I was reading a post earlier today on here about Mays and look who got re-signed!

Stlrs4Life
01-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Why? We have Nate Washington.

Prosdo
01-10-2006, 09:41 PM
I was a bit surprised as well, but I guess they wanted to bring in a guy who knows the playbook and has playoff experience. That's the only reason I can see, but this guy hasn't played in a while. So, I dunno.

ngreene15
01-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Morgan is having surgery on his broken leg, and he and ARE are free agents after this year. But I think that you have to sign them for a year contract minimum in instances like this.

We gotta get both ARE and Quincy Back.

I'd really like to see Quincy have a bigger role in the offence next year, maybe become the third reciever. He's too talented to be a #4 guy.

shevdog
01-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Three words for Mays:
"Catch the ball."

Sharkissle29
01-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Why? We have Nate Washington.
this is the first thing i thought, but then i thought to myself 'the experience.' nate hasnt played in a regular season game, let alone a playoff game. lee mays is better prepared for this type of situation....i hope we see more of nate next year