PDA

View Full Version : Steelers backup FB Ryan Powdrell

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Just an FYI about Powdrell who was picked up in the offseason. He was a USC FB that was playing some RB and broke his leg his senior season. I think Frank Summers will replace Gary Russell and am hopeful that Powdrell at 260lbs is now fully healed so we can have a big FB.

Here is the video from 2 seasons ago when he broke his leg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDxwgzmKhJo

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Just an FYI about Powdrell who was picked up in the offseason. He was a USC FB that was playing some RB and broke his leg his senior season. I think Frank Summers will replace Gary Russell and am hopeful that Powdrell at 260lbs is now fully healed so we can have a big FB.

Thanks Gonzo....I had wondered if the combination of Summers and McHugh would push Davis out the door....Powdrell may actually be the catalyst!!! (The kid in me loves a football player with the word "pow" in his name)

I label him the "Powerdrill" :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks Gonzo....I had wondered if the combination of Summers and McHugh would push Davis out the door....Powdrell may actually be the catalyst!!! (The kid in me loves a football player with the word "pow" in his name)

Yeah, I love that Powdrell is big enough to be an effective blocker and now only hope he is a good enough athlete to fit in Arians system as an occasional RB and receiver. They kid was getting some reps as a tailback at USC, so I hope he becomes an upgrade over Davis.

I still think the RB rotation is gonna be Parker, Mendenhall, Moore and Summers.

Kvnfaber
04-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Y-OUCH

My leg is hurting just watching that.

Steelman16
04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Nasty!

Whoever pushes Davis outta camp will be the recipient of me having a signature of him for the duration of the year, unless Davis comes back. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
04-29-2009, 04:30 PM
hmmm... so that means you can put powdrell on the field with summers, sprinkle in u-brick and our three tight ends and we have what resembles and actual goal line package. :beerbang:

Crushzilla
04-29-2009, 05:26 PM

I'm partial to Powldriver, but I like it.

KeiselPower99
04-29-2009, 06:13 PM
hmmm... so that means you can put powdrell on the field with summers, sprinkle in u-brick and our three tight ends and we have what resembles and actual goal line package. :beerbang:

May god you might be on to something there.

bigjamesharrison2
04-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Interesting prospect...maybe a few less goal line stands this year?:noidea:

Preacher
04-29-2009, 06:32 PM
That would be great...

But it also depends on what our line does. Let's hope all the talk about them gelling together is true, and they can actually get some good push this year on the line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 07:03 PM
May god you might be on to something there.

Yeah, Tony is the mad scientist of smashmouth football..........but remember that we dont play that here much any more.

Still, Summers behind Powdrell with McHugh in motion, then also lead blocking...THAT WOULD BE SMASHMOUTH SHORT YARDAGE. :banana:

Psyychoward86
04-29-2009, 07:21 PM

Ewwwww! I cringed watching that. But I wonder why we have 4 potential FB's on the roster? Ryan Powdrell, Sean McHugh, Carey Davis, and Frank the Tank should be an interesting offseason. The big thing that has me scratching my head is McHugh. Why sign him to a 3 year deal when we have so many others?

Steelman16
04-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Ewwwww! I cringed watching that. But I wonder why we have 4 potential FB's on the roster? Ryan Powdrell, Sean McHugh, Carey Davis, and Frank the Tank should be an interesting offseason. The big thing that has me scratching my head is McHugh. Why sign him to a 3 year deal when we have so many others?

My guess is McHugh will be the "starting" 3rd TE, used primarily for motion lead blocks in the big short yardage packages.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 08:25 PM
The big thing that has me scratching my head is McHugh. Why sign him to a 3 year deal when we have so many others?

Because if Matt Spaeth still cant block, then McHugh will be the #2 TE on the depth chart. Spaeth caught 17 passes last season and missed 117 blocks. If he doesnt show some improvement, then he wont get a 2nd contract with the Steelers.

tony hipchest
04-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Yeah, Tony is the mad scientist of smashmouth football..........but remember that we dont play that here much any more.

::chuckle: they dont call me tony "mike martz" hipchest for nuthin. :wink02:

oooh ooh... i just had a vision of a play action to the strongside and ben actually being able to walk into the endzone on a rollout w/o having to try and bowl over a 290 pound DL.

*rubs hands together with anticipation and erupts into wicked laughter*

SteelersinCA
04-29-2009, 09:26 PM
I may be in the minority but I still think a great blocking FB is the key to a strong running game. LT wasn't much of anything without LoNeal.

billybob
04-29-2009, 09:55 PM
That would be great...

But it also depends on what our line does. Let's hope all the talk about them gelling together is true, and they can actually get some good push this year on the line.

There you go again Father , without faith , even after you have seen proof , you still do not believe . (LOL)

Steel Head
04-29-2009, 10:49 PM
hopefully Powdrell and Frank the Tank make the team and they cut ties with Carey Davis!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2009, 10:54 PM
I may be in the minority but I still think a great blocking FB is the key to a strong running game. LT wasn't much of anything without LoNeal.

I agree. John L Williams, Tim Lester, Jon Witman, Dan Kreider were all important parts of our running game. But, I realize that this is not how the offense rolls any longer and dont really expect much use of a "great blocking FB" in Pittsburgh.

billybob
04-29-2009, 10:56 PM
How has his broken leg mended since then ? If he can pass a team physical , then we might have something going on with that combo .

billybob
04-29-2009, 11:02 PM
I think part of Tomlins approach is you don't want teams to be able to prepare for you next year , like they had to last season . He is a good mixer upper . Teams that all out blitzed us last season may be in for a big surprise if they try that same approach this season . See what i'm saying ?

KeiselPower99
04-29-2009, 11:05 PM

Still, Summers behind Powdrell with McHugh in motion, then also lead blocking...THAT WOULD BE SMASHMOUTH SHORT YARDAGE. :banana:

Not to sound wierd or anythin but that idea right there made me orgasm a lil

Steel Head
04-29-2009, 11:28 PM

me too LOL

let's take it a bit further....add Essex for a tight end

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2009, 02:02 AM

:nono: I dont need to hear that. :music:

SteelerFanInCA
04-30-2009, 03:31 PM
If I heard correctly, wasn't this guy a LB before he switched over to FB\RB?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2009, 06:10 PM
If I heard correctly, wasn't this guy a LB before he switched over to FB\RB?

Yeah, some of us had that discussion last year about LB's converting to FB's. I think the other guy we had in camp last year (Billy latsko) was the same. Similar athletes....a guy that is 6'0" 250 lbs and can run and likes to hit could play either LB or FB.