View Full Version : Steelers' Holmes arraigned on marijuana charge

mesaSteeler
04-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Steelers' Holmes arraigned on marijuana charge
Buzz up!
By The Associated Press Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Last updated: 11:55 am
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_622829.html

Pittsburgh Steelers receiver and Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes has been formally arraigned on a misdemeanor marijuana charge stemming from a traffic stop.

Pittsburgh police say they found three marijuana-filled cigars in Holmes' car when he was pulled over Oct. 23. Holmes was stopped because his vehicle was similar to one police were looking for in a drug sting.

Police say Holmes cooperated and pointed out the drugs to officers.

Holmes' attorney has characterized the marijuana charge as a low-grade misdemeanor. At most, Holmes faces 30 days probation and a $500 fine if convicted.

Holmes didn't appear at the hearing, at which charges are formally presented and his attorney enters his appearance.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Fire Haley
04-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Meanwhile, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Santonio for my new hat.

http://www.ocsports.net/mm5/graphics/00000001/p2790001reg.jpg

lilyoder6
04-30-2009, 01:42 PM
not like this is gonna hurt holmes...

STEELtownHAVOX
04-30-2009, 02:26 PM
nice catch in the superbowl Santo! love you buddy

klick81
04-30-2009, 02:32 PM
CUT THE GOOD FOR NOTHING LOSER NOW!!! :chuckle:

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 07:59 PM
He'll be fine. Slap on wrist, fine, community service then he will apologize to the fans who only remember that Super Bowl catch....then he'll work on getting the 7th prize for the Burgh and her followers.

onefortheotherhand
04-30-2009, 08:48 PM
theres nuttin wrong with smokin a couple blunts :wink02:

steelwall
04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
He toke his lumps for this. He's young and I think now he see's his future is very bright here. I think he probably learned his lesson.

Rek
04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
How many potheads does it take to change a light bulb?

Two: One to hold the bulb against the socket, and the other to smoke up until the room starts spinning.

:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
05-01-2009, 04:22 AM
Hopefully he will have learned his leason and this will never happen to him again.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Wonder if he every tried to start his car with a quarter?

43Hitman
05-01-2009, 03:28 PM
He toke his lumps for this. He's young and I think now he see's his future is very bright here. I think he probably learned his lesson.

AKSteeler
05-01-2009, 07:24 PM

I am disappointed that so many of you are so nonchalant about it. He should be more responsible in his role, and make better choices in life. I hope he stops this stupidity real soon.

stillers4me
05-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I am disappointed that so many of you are so nonchalant about it. He should be more responsible in his role, and make better choices in life. I hope he stops this stupidity real soon.

I think he's already admitted his mistakes and accepted his punishment from Tomlin and the team like a man. He's ready to move on to a new and better chapter in his life. What more do you want? :coffee:

LVSteelersfan
05-01-2009, 07:58 PM
I hope he keeps his act together. That stuff is not good for your conditioning. I have nothing against most pot smokers in general (unless they are breaking into my house to sell my stuff for pot money) but a well tuned athlete shouldn't be putting that crap in his lungs. It hurts performance. He can smoke all of it he wants once he leaves the NFL. NFL careers are short.

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 08:08 PM
I think he's already admitted his mistakes and accepted his punishment from Tomlin and the team like a man. He's ready to move on to a new and better chapter in his life. What more do you want? :coffee:

Two words...Who Cares. It was a joint, not a crack pipe, an assault rifle, prostitutes, illegal Mexicans with the swine flu, a dirty bomb, terrorist or even George Bush...it was a joint big deal. You can get more "F" up from a couple drinks then taking a few hits from a "J" Give the guy a break. The cop didn't even ask to search the vehicle, Holmes told him it was there before the search was even brought up. Do you realize he's never failed a NFL, NCAA or private drug test...EVER. He said it was someone else s' but he wanted to let the cop know ahead of time. Get over it, big deal.

onefortheotherhand
05-02-2009, 02:07 AM
woah woah lot's of well tuned athletes toke on the peace pipe...micheal phelps comes to mind.. and dam santonio has been gettin better and better so its not really affecting his preformance. theres nothin wrong with ingestin sum THC every once in awhile

steelwall
05-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Not like this just happened, this was last year and he was suspended a game for it.

I in no way support breaking the law but this is old news really.

AllD
05-02-2009, 08:16 AM
He has put the NFL and Steelers in a no-win situation. His personal situation should be minor.

Basically, there is a moral dilemma. If he went to trial, most likely he would walk without penalty. The only way he gets convicted is by jury in Phoenix or Baltimore. However, that sends a poor message to society and reflects negatively on the NFL.

The best solution is to plea it down and make him responsible in some way for his actions and poor decision making.

revefsreleets
05-02-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm not a proponent of pro athletes smoking down, BUT I've also never seen anyone get high and shoot up a strip joint at 3 AM or beat up their girlfriend. IMO pot < drink. Just happens that one is illegal...

I'm sure I'll be once again branded an OSU apologist, but...

Kaeg
05-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Pot doesn't bother me. I don't do it, and I don't feel anyone really should, but I don't think it's a big deal at all unless you let it affect your life or others around you. If he said it wasn't his: fine. If it was his: well, he's a pro athlete. He shouldn't for health reasons and for the sake of all teammates around him.

CPanther95
05-02-2009, 09:48 AM
The problem is, every time a Steeler smokes pot, Hampton gets the munchies.

43Hitman
05-02-2009, 10:13 AM

Sorry to let you down Dad, or is it Mom? :yawn:

fansince'76
05-02-2009, 10:22 AM
He should be more responsible in his role, and make better choices in life. I hope he stops this stupidity real soon.

You mean like staying in his hotel room and watching Disney movies with his kids after winning SB MVP as opposed to going out and partying it up?

onefortheotherhand
05-02-2009, 11:05 AM
ROAST

AKSteeler
05-03-2009, 12:30 PM
You mean like staying in his hotel room and watching Disney movies with his kids after winning SB MVP as opposed to going out and partying it up?

No, I mean acting responsible and enjoying life without doing something illegal. You can enjoy life and celebrate without breaking the law.

Who Cares. It was a joint, not a crack pipe, an assault rifle, prostitutes, illegal Mexicans with the swine flu, a dirty bomb, terrorist or even George Bush...it was a joint big deal.

Plenty of people care. There are plenty of adults and children who admire pro-athletes. If he makes a mistake, and corrects it, great...if not...well I have issue with that. Oh, and owning an assault rifle, in most states is NOT illegal.

theres nothin wrong with ingestin sum THC every once in awhile It's illegal. That's the point.

Sorry to let you down Dad, or is it Mom? Neither. Just a Steelers fan who expects our players to conduct themselves as members of the greatest team in sports franchises.

I'm not trying to string the guy up for an old mistake. My point is that I hope he corrects the mistake and walks away a better person. I was surprised that so many of the members here were so nonchalant about a player doing something illegal...just surprised. That's all. We are all entitled to our opinions.

fansince'76
05-03-2009, 12:45 PM
No, I mean acting responsible and enjoying life without doing something illegal. You can enjoy life and celebrate without breaking the law.

Exactly, like "celebrating" the SB win and his SB MVP award by staying in his hotel room and watching Disney movies with his kids as opposed to going out and partying it up.

I've already condemned his actions....

He's been a member of the Steelers for 3 seasons, but that didn't prevent him from getting tagged earlier this season for driving around smoking blunts in his car. I agree with rbryan - one more eff-up and out he goes.

....and I'm not going to continue to do so months after the fact, especially after his SB "celebration" suggests that he is beginning to "get it" when it comes to acting more responsibly.

Psyychoward86
05-03-2009, 12:55 PM
I love the guy to death, i just hope he doesnt turn out like Plaxico. Right when we thought Plax was done being an idiot, with all those cute stories about him being a hero in Superbowl XLII and taking care of his 1 year old daughter and wanting to grow out of his shell, he shoots himself in the f'ing leg. At least he showed more class by directing the cops to the drugs. I hope that's the last incident he gets himself into :tt:

BehindSteelCurtain
05-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Go to jail for 30 days. Buff up and toughen up and he'll be better than ever.

steelerdave1969
05-03-2009, 05:05 PM
not like this is gonna hurt holmes...

This is not the first time this guy has done something like this. It might not hurt him, but eventually its gonna get him in some trouble and suspensions. Seems to me like the guy needs to learn a lesson that this stuff is not worth the trouble that it can get you into.... I just hope that he reallises that the game of football should be more important than any pot smoking that he might be doing..