PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin got the players he wanted

mesaSteeler
04-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Tomlin got the players he wanted
By JIM WEXELL
For The Tribune-Democrat
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/sports/local_story_119000225.html

PITTSBURGH — Bruce Arians wore his favorite Cheshire smile as he told the Pittsburgh media that he’d written down the names of the Steelers’ third-round draft picks – Kraig Urbik and Mike Wallace – three weeks ago … “as guys I would love to have on our ball club. Just happened they fell,” Arians said.

Urbik is the powerful right guard the Steelers need; Wallace is the deep threat Nate Washington used to be and the kickoff returner Nate never was.

Those players filled two distinct needs for Arians, but he said he wasn’t satisfied.

In an interview with a radio station during the excruciating four-hour wait between the third and fifth-round picks, Arians, the offensive coordinator, said he wanted one more player. He didn’t say who, and he wasn’t asked on air.

“Is it Frank the Tank?” someone asked during a break.

Arians put his finger to his lips and said, “Shhhhhhhh.”

“The Tank” became the pick.

Frank Summers was the short-yardage back from UNLV the Steelers had been following, and, according to Arians, Tank was coveted throughout that torturous and pick-less fourth round.

The 243-pound Tank filled a third offensive need: Short-yardage runner. He’ll also make a terrific special-teams player in the Carey Davis mold.

In fact, he may even replace Davis some day as the pass-catching fullback.

So even though he lost a fifth-round fight with the defensive coaches, Arians got every guy he wanted. The Steelers, after the long wait, opted first for another player they’d been scouting closely, Joe Burnett, in the fifth round.

Burnett has a slight build, but he’s a playmaker. Defensive backs coach Ray Horton even compared him to Antwaan Randle El by saying, “I don’t want to compare him to Antwaan Randle El, but …”

Horton was afforded the luxury of a small, 4.55-timed playmaker – who plays a lot faster on the field – because the Steelers had grabbed their prototypical cornerback in the third round, Keenan Lewis.

“He’s a six-foot corner who can run,” was how Mike Tomlin described him as if he were describing a car part.

In turn, Horton admitted the Steelers were able to draft such a precise part in the third round because they’d drafted their returner, Wallace, on the previous pick. They needed a wide receiver or cornerback who could return kickoffs, and the receiver did the trick.

The receiver, coincidentally, is a childhood friend of the “six-foot corner who can run.”

Wallace and Lewis go way back to their childhood on the West Bank of New Orleans.

“Very familiar with that story,” said Tomlin. “I spoke down in Knoxville at the University of Tennessee several weeks back, and their wide receiver coach at Tennessee was not only familiar with him, but also Keenan Lewis. He coached those guys since they were in seventh grade. I heard detailed information about their story, but it’s not a secret. I think people that prepare for the draft knew the story of those young men and specifically Wallace and what he and his family went through in terms of being relocated and how it affected his senior year and recruiting process and all of that. Those kinds of life experiences harden you, and let’s face it: The National Football League game is a game for the mentally tough – and we believe some of his life experiences will be a help to him as he transitions to the pro game because, of course, it’s not going to be easy.”

Tomlin is to be appreciated on several levels throughout that quote. But to stay on point, let’s appreciate his expanding network and how he was able to manipulate this draft so well, that he was able to hit on every exciting and interesting prospect he’d been tracking, from Ziggy to the Wisconsin right guard to the deep threat/big corner combo from New Orleans to Smokin’ Joe Burnett to Frank the Tank – whose workout the Steelers supervised in early March – and to A.Q. Shipley.

Of course, Shipley’s arms are too short and he plays only one position. But how many positions did Mike Webster play?

Even though Shipley has two centers – Justin Hartwig and interim right guard Darnell Stapleton – in front of him, he’s the only center, the only lineman in fact, who can get out in front of a screen pass and run and knock people down. It’s a failing that wasn’t rectified with Urbik, but was certainly helped with Shipley. His mobility just may become the reason he moves into the starting lineup in 2010.

But that’s just the conjecture of a short-armed writer.

No, Tomlin got the guys he wanted, and they’re “high-quality people, humble guys, and guys who can fit in. All of these guys fit that bill,” the coach said. “Things that we evaluate, like toughness, intelligence, these guys display that. This was a great day for us.”

This is his third draft and it may turn out to be Tomlin’s masterpiece. On a championship team that didn’t need much help, went the common thinking, the Steelers couldn’t, wouldn’t use all of those picks. Well, Tomlin just brought in nine who fill specific needs. The competition will be fierce.

Jim Wexell is a free-lance writer who covers the Steelers for The Tribune-Democrat.

Steelman16
04-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Dat's cuz Mikey T knows best. :thumbsup:

mesaSteeler
04-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Dat's cuz Mikey T knows best. :thumbsup:

Amen :tt02:

Preacher
04-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Now...

Why were we trying to trade up in the rounds if were able to get all the guys we wanted?

Something isn't right.

ShutDown24
04-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Now...

Why were we trying to trade up in the rounds if were able to get all the guys we wanted?

Something isn't right.

Obviously "all" the guys they wanted is an exaggeration. I do get the feeling though that the team is overwhelmingly happy with the way their draft ended up.

billybob
04-29-2009, 07:32 PM
I would say that Tomlin is bringing his show to Pittsburgh .There is no question in my mind that , he himself , is growing too. Under his direction , we came close one time , the next time we hit paydirt . That is proof enough for a punk like me that has been following this elite team , before they even became elite . If he says he got who he wanted , then i am inclined to believe we got who we need . One thing i know , is do not expect to see the same team we all saw on the field for Superbowl 43 .(Mach 5 ) excluded .
This one will be more of a high octane version . Tomlin is growing , and i can see it , and he wants the best for our team , i don't see that he is motivated to better himself , but to better our team . He knows a little about Pittsburgh football , and by his actions i believe it . How can ya not love it . Some media ,and fans alike worry about things he just brushes off . To me Tomlin is a man with a plan . The plan seems to point to making the Steelers into an unstoppable force . I am all for it ! ! ! Front office strikes again ! ! ! :tt03:

ShutDown24
04-29-2009, 07:40 PM
I would say that Tomlin is bringing his show to Pittsburgh .There is no question in my mind that , he himself , is growing too. Under his direction , we came close one time , the next time we hit paydirt . That is proof enough for a punk like me that has been following this elite team , before they even became elite . If he says he got who he wanted , then i am inclined to believe we got who we need . One thing i know , is do not expect to see the same team we all saw on the field for Superbowl 43 .
This one will be more of a high octane version . Tomlin is growing , and i can see it , and he wants the best for our team , i don't see that he is motivated to better himself , but to better our team . He knows a little about Pittsburgh football , and by his actions i believe it . How can ya not love it . Some media ,and fans alike worry about things he just brushes off . To me Tomlin is a man with a plan . The plan seems to point to making the Steelers into an unstoppable force . I am all for it ! ! ! Front office strikes again ! ! ! :tt03:

Excellent post. I completely concur with every sentiment you expressed there. That is the same view I have of our coach, team and front office.

KeiselPower99
04-29-2009, 08:14 PM
The more I read about this draft and the players the more excited I get from it. But here is a question. In the article it says there is 2 centers in front of Shipley. What the hell happened to Legursky? Maybe they are eyeing him at Guard only.

billybob
04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
The more I read about this draft and the players the more excited I get from it. But here is a question. In the article it says there is 2 centers in front of Shipley. What the hell happened to Legursky? Maybe they are eyeing him at Guard only.

I wish i could answer that too . But ya can't have a guy hangin around on your roster forever ,not doing anything but taking up space .Maybe Shipley was brought in to displace him . I just don't know . In Tomlins system , i am sure that Legursky will have to step forward , or forever hold his piece . I am sure it is like any other job , "we are sorry but we decided to go the other way " , no offense to you ,and thankyou for your time and your patience , good luck sir . He should be able to make a move in this camp , or else i can see the staff letting him go .

billybob
04-29-2009, 08:34 PM
I have even heard some people comparing legursky to "T - REX " .

DoubleSh0t
04-29-2009, 08:46 PM
What's good enough for Tomlin is good enough for me! :tt02:

Steely McSmash
04-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Legursky is physically simlar to Legursky. Short and powerful. This camp is make or break for him I think.

billybob
04-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Legursky is physically simlar to Legursky. Short and powerful. This camp is make or break for him I think.

You mean shipley i presume ? is simalar to Legursky ?

billybob
04-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Tomlin runs his team the way he sees fit . He does not care about what anyone else thinks ,save his staff. I admire him for that , and i truly believe he knows his players on a personal basis , and does what he can to bring them up to what level he thinks they can attain . He does not know everything , but he tries hard , it is only logical that he asks the same from his players . More often than not they have responded . The dude ain't doing nothing detrimental to our team , and in fact , i think he is motivating them in his own unique style . It is bringing results so far , why interupt what he is trying to accomplish ? He has not given his motive to the other teams in our division ,or any other . It is his secret . He did reveal to me some of his secrets when they drafted " FRANK THE TANK " .take it to the bank .

BlastFurnace
04-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Now...

Something isn't right.

Bob Labriola was saying over and over again on fox870 that the Steelers were trying very hard to trade up for Paul Unger.

KeiselPower99
04-29-2009, 09:38 PM
I have even heard some people comparing legursky to "T - REX " .

Ive even made that comparison. I hope Doug kicks in into gear and makes cutting him a non situation come September.

billybob
04-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Sounds like a ploy to me , but who really knows ? Cleveland did everything they could to take mack from us . We moved on , and did what we had to do . Faith can not be faked . You have it , or you don't . I was born with faith in what i believe , and rarely ever waver . But i am not perfect , and know noone who is . But if Tomlin and the front office pull this off , they will be some pretty happy campers .

billybob
04-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Ive even made that comparison. I hope Doug kicks in into gear and makes cutting him a non situation come September.

Seems it is now more than it ever will be . I wish him good luck . He just can't be hangin around clogging up a spot if he ain't gonna do nothin . Specially with a young buck that has been under rated and a Steeler fan to boot , all his young life .

BlastFurnace
04-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Sounds like a ploy to me , but who really knows ? Cleveland did everything they could to take mack from us . We moved on , and did what we had to do . Faith can not be faked . You have it , or you don't . I was born with faith in what i believe , and rarely ever waver . But i am not perfect , and know noone who is . But if Tomlin and the front office pull this off , they will be some pretty happy campers .

From everything I have read, the Steelers wanted Wood rather than Mack.

billybob
04-29-2009, 10:50 PM

I think i read something about that too , but when you pick 32nd in the first round and o-lineman are like gold the last few drafts , you automatically revert to plan B . Our team did fine in my beliefs , but of course only time will tell. I think Mike said he was glad to be in that position . If he was picking higher , he would not have been a WINNER ! I'll buy into that . They did a spectacular job of addressing needs for the future , and even possibly some for this coming season .:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

Steel Head
04-30-2009, 12:04 AM

i heard the same.

oh well, nobody could have predicted Wood getting picked before #32

Galax Steeler
04-30-2009, 04:35 AM
i heard the same.

oh well, nobody could have predicted Wood getting picked before #32

I thought we would take wood as well. He got plucked off the board before we even had a shot at him. That just go's to show that you never know how the draft will fall.

IamTheSteelGod
04-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Tomlin got the players he wanted
By JIM WEXELL
For The Tribune-Democrat
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/sports/local_story_119000225.html

PITTSBURGH — Bruce Arians wore his favorite Cheshire smile as he told the Pittsburgh media that he’d written down the names of the Steelers’ third-round draft picks – Kraig Urbik and Mike Wallace – three weeks ago … “as guys I would love to have on our ball club. Just happened they fell,” Arians said.

Urbik is the powerful right guard the Steelers need; Wallace is the deep threat Nate Washington used to be and the kickoff returner Nate never was.

Those players filled two distinct needs for Arians, but he said he wasn’t satisfied.

In an interview with a radio station during the excruciating four-hour wait between the third and fifth-round picks, Arians, the offensive coordinator, said he wanted one more player. He didn’t say who, and he wasn’t asked on air.

“Is it Frank the Tank?” someone asked during a break.

Arians put his finger to his lips and said, “Shhhhhhhh.”

“The Tank” became the pick.

Frank Summers was the short-yardage back from UNLV the Steelers had been following, and, according to Arians, Tank was coveted throughout that torturous and pick-less fourth round.

The 243-pound Tank filled a third offensive need: Short-yardage runner. He’ll also make a terrific special-teams player in the Carey Davis mold.

In fact, he may even replace Davis some day as the pass-catching fullback.

So even though he lost a fifth-round fight with the defensive coaches, Arians got every guy he wanted. The Steelers, after the long wait, opted first for another player they’d been scouting closely, Joe Burnett, in the fifth round.

Burnett has a slight build, but he’s a playmaker. Defensive backs coach Ray Horton even compared him to Antwaan Randle El by saying, “I don’t want to compare him to Antwaan Randle El, but …”

Horton was afforded the luxury of a small, 4.55-timed playmaker – who plays a lot faster on the field – because the Steelers had grabbed their prototypical cornerback in the third round, Keenan Lewis.

“He’s a six-foot corner who can run,” was how Mike Tomlin described him as if he were describing a car part.

In turn, Horton admitted the Steelers were able to draft such a precise part in the third round because they’d drafted their returner, Wallace, on the previous pick. They needed a wide receiver or cornerback who could return kickoffs, and the receiver did the trick.

The receiver, coincidentally, is a childhood friend of the “six-foot corner who can run.”

Wallace and Lewis go way back to their childhood on the West Bank of New Orleans.

“Very familiar with that story,” said Tomlin. “I spoke down in Knoxville at the University of Tennessee several weeks back, and their wide receiver coach at Tennessee was not only familiar with him, but also Keenan Lewis. He coached those guys since they were in seventh grade. I heard detailed information about their story, but it’s not a secret. I think people that prepare for the draft knew the story of those young men and specifically Wallace and what he and his family went through in terms of being relocated and how it affected his senior year and recruiting process and all of that. Those kinds of life experiences harden you, and let’s face it: The National Football League game is a game for the mentally tough – and we believe some of his life experiences will be a help to him as he transitions to the pro game because, of course, it’s not going to be easy.”

Tomlin is to be appreciated on several levels throughout that quote. But to stay on point, let’s appreciate his expanding network and how he was able to manipulate this draft so well, that he was able to hit on every exciting and interesting prospect he’d been tracking, from Ziggy to the Wisconsin right guard to the deep threat/big corner combo from New Orleans to Smokin’ Joe Burnett to Frank the Tank – whose workout the Steelers supervised in early March – and to A.Q. Shipley.

Of course, Shipley’s arms are too short and he plays only one position. But how many positions did Mike Webster play?

Even though Shipley has two centers – Justin Hartwig and interim right guard Darnell Stapleton – in front of him, he’s the only center, the only lineman in fact, who can get out in front of a screen pass and run and knock people down. It’s a failing that wasn’t rectified with Urbik, but was certainly helped with Shipley. His mobility just may become the reason he moves into the starting lineup in 2010.

But that’s just the conjecture of a short-armed writer.

No, Tomlin got the guys he wanted, and they’re “high-quality people, humble guys, and guys who can fit in. All of these guys fit that bill,” the coach said. “Things that we evaluate, like toughness, intelligence, these guys display that. This was a great day for us.”

This is his third draft and it may turn out to be Tomlin’s masterpiece. On a championship team that didn’t need much help, went the common thinking, the Steelers couldn’t, wouldn’t use all of those picks. Well, Tomlin just brought in nine who fill specific needs. The competition will be fierce.

Jim Wexell is a free-lance writer who covers the Steelers for The Tribune-Democrat.

Class Cheshire Cat smile! Iam glad that a bit of our culture is getting mentionened in your reports lol. (get onto my location boys!) :thumbsup: I wonder though if Hood would have been Tomlins first round choice? Although i must say, after watching a few interview Ziggy does most certainly have the right mentallity.

DACEB
04-30-2009, 07:03 AM
This is quickly turning into Tomlins team, and it appears he knows exactly the type of player he wants for his team.

Seems that he looks for strong character and football players over so called studs. He seems to be stocking the team with guys that are leaders and don't shy away from adversity. Men, as Tomlin likes to say, that thrive when the heat of the moment is the hottest, the lights the brightest.

I like where this seems to be headed, time will tell.

revefsreleets
04-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Bruce Arians likes the picks?

Arians sucks, though! We are doomed! 0-16 here we come....

Rowghani
05-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I would have prefered we grabbed one of the centers in the first round. Was disappointed when both their names got called before our pick. Didnt know which one we wanted but was pretty sure it was one of them, however thats how drafts work. Just as players you expect to be there get picked early, gems (such as Mendenhall) sometimes fall in your lap as well. Good to see we've added depth at D-line.

tunes4life
05-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I would have prefered we grabbed one of the centers in the first round. Was disappointed when both their names got called before our pick. Didnt know which one we wanted but was pretty sure it was one of them, however thats how drafts work. Just as players you expect to be there get picked early, gems (such as Mendenhall) sometimes fall in your lap as well. Good to see we've added depth at D-line.

I agree that we had a great draft, however I definitely think it is too early to proclaim Mendy a "gem". I am very excited to see how how grows this year though!

:drink:

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Every coach says that. If we would have drafted Raji, Beatty, Mickens, Williams, Shipley, Johnson then he would have said the same thing.

BKAnthem
05-01-2009, 03:20 PM
This is BS, every team says they got "every player they wanted" in the draft

billybob
05-01-2009, 03:36 PM

Why would you take a center in the first round , when your defense is aging , and there were not any there worth taking in the first place ? I believed we were going defensive line all the way on our first pick reguardless . The signing of all the "MACH 5 " told me that right away .
They worked as hard as they could to get better than they were , and some want to interupt that , by pulling the plug on the progress they did make . You just can't keep plugging in new players into a new line . They need time . I think plugging in someone new would do more harm than good . We may not of gotten who we wanted , but we got a lot of things we needed .

MongoSteeler
05-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I think it's a lot like going into a car dearship for a new car, you see the shiny high priced sporty model sitting in the front window that you just have to have, but you wind up driving home in the minivan that you need at the price you can afford.