PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to make bets that Foote signs with Cards?

BehindSteelCurtain
04-29-2009, 08:33 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

KeiselPower99
04-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Actually if he wants to start he wont. I actually see him in Baltimore or Cleveland.

billybob
04-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Green bay is switching to a 34 .

ShutDown24
04-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Nah, I don't see it this time haha.

Rek
04-29-2009, 09:16 PM
He's heading to Detriot I'm betting. He would most def. start there. I think he still has some fuel in him. I remember when he was a contributing factor for the Steelers in 05 when they won SB XL. He led the defense with 96 solo tackles (123 total) and had 3 sacks. Pretty dang good for an "old guy."

Steel Head
04-29-2009, 10:08 PM
i think we should keep him unless we can work out a trade

Releasing him is stupid, make him honor his contract like a man

Give It To Abercrombie
04-29-2009, 10:20 PM
i think we should keep him unless we can work out a trade

Releasing him is stupid, make him honor his contract like a man

Yeah sure, we don't need the cap room for anybody else or anything. Let's not free up 3 million by releasing a guy who will more than likely play less than half the snaps this year. :coffee:

Steel Head
04-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah sure, we don't need the cap room for anybody else or anything. Let's not free up 3 million by releasing a guy who will more than likely play less than half the snaps this year. :coffee:

He's still a valuable player

It's hard for anyone to get a grip on our current salary cap situation. If we need to cut him in order to extend Miller or sign our rookies then yes it is a smart move

skepticsightsten
04-29-2009, 11:16 PM
I think releasing Foote is the classy thing to do. He dealt with this very well and in the exact right way. That being said, I can't see him in Arizona, though it'd be hilarious. I hope he gets to go to Detroit.

OX1947
04-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Ugh, losing a guy who has started 91 straight games as a LINEBACKER in the NFL and the fact that him and Potsey are like identical twins hurts.

LVSteelersfan
04-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Sorry, I don't buy that he is a great ILB. He is only good because of the system and the players around him. He is a smart player but he is not fast enough any more. That makes him a liability. He will flounder wherever else he goes because he is good only because of Lebeau and his system.

Galax Steeler
04-30-2009, 03:27 AM
I say Foote will end up in Detroit. That is where he wants to go and they need some help in that department. So if they are smart they will pick him up.

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 08:09 AM
He's heading to Detriot I'm betting. He would most def. start there. I think he still has some fuel in him. I remember when he was a contributing factor for the Steelers in 05 when they won SB XL. He led the defense with 96 solo tackles (123 total) and had 3 sacks. Pretty dang good for an "old guy."

I agree. He thought Pittsburgh had cut him, then his agent starting talking with the Lions front office. They need an upgrade at ILB from Paris Lenon and who better than 2x SB Champ who started on both teams? I give him two days of FA then he signs with Detroit.

rbryan
04-30-2009, 08:12 AM
I like Foote but agree that his success has a lot to do with the players around him and the system he played in.

I wish him the best but I don't think you'll be hearing much about him no matter where he ends up.

MDSteel15
04-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Sorry, I don't buy that he is a great ILB. He is only good because of the system and the players around him. He is a smart player but he is not fast enough any more. That makes him a liability. He will flounder wherever else he goes because he is good only because of Lebeau and his system.

Yeah, just like Joey did last year, right? :banging:

onefortheotherhand
04-30-2009, 08:56 PM
hes def. going to detroit besides hes a michigan man!

steeltheone
04-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Timmons is much better. We won't foote at all.

IamTheSteelGod
05-01-2009, 03:41 AM

Dude, he's 28. and no way will Foote go the Ravens. :-|

onefortheotherhand
05-01-2009, 06:51 AM
his agent said that they were having talks with detroit and he even said himself that if he was a free agent he was going to try and sign with the lions

HometownGal
05-01-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't think Foote will sign with the Cards. I'm in agreement with everyone else here - if he goes anywhere, it's to Motown.

stlrz fan
05-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Wherever he goes ,best of luck to him. He's always been a class guy and a good player.

steelreserve
05-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I think releasing Foote is the classy thing to do. He dealt with this very well and in the exact right way. That being said, I can't see him in Arizona, though it'd be hilarious. I hope he gets to go to Detroit.

Yes, bitching about your playing time and demanding a trade is exactly the right thing to do. As long as you keep the bitching out of the press, you're doing a swell job of handling it, right?

Give me a break. This is no better than some diva receiver bitching his way off the team because he thinks they don't throw him the ball enough. Only most of those guys actually play to the end of their contract, like it or not.

triphahn
05-01-2009, 12:32 PM
He has been a solid part of the team and wish him the best. And it is good to wish to improve yourself but he is bitching about his role and coming out in the press like this. Steelreserve is right.

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 01:57 PM
He has been very solid for us. Remember the dance in the AFC Championship at Denver? When he picked it off then fell down trying to cut back. I loved it.

onefortheotherhand
05-01-2009, 03:14 PM
i see where hes coming from though it's obvious that timmons will eventually start, being a first round pick and all so in order to keep his career alive he needs to be traded while theres still takers and oppurtunitys to play all the snaps he can

bigjamesharrison2
05-01-2009, 04:29 PM

I'm thinking the same thing. He's from Detroit and has supposedly said he wanted to go there. Should be interesting if he ends up there when we play them this year.:tt03:

steelreserve
05-01-2009, 04:41 PM

Yeah, but in '05, he was 24 years old. Super Bowl XL might seem like yesterday, but in NFL terms, that's half a career. In a lot of cases, almost a whole career.

I mean, I agree that Foote is far from washed up (which is why I would've liked to have him back this year) but he's been starting for long enough that it's pretty clear what his ability level is. That would be still well above average but gradually declining.

mmalone
05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
during the draft they spoke of the new hybrid DL players for the 3-4 defense. they called out about 5 teams changing this year to the 3-4 . thats where foote will end up. a new upcoming 3-4 team.

Crushzilla
05-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Yes, bitching about your playing time and demanding a trade is exactly the right thing to do. As long as you keep the bitching out of the press, you're doing a swell job of handling it, right?

Give me a break. This is no better than some diva receiver bitching his way off the team because he thinks they don't throw him the ball enough. Only most of those guys actually play to the end of their contract, like it or not.

I agree.

Though I have enjoyed and been glad to have Foote in black and gold, he handled this like a chump.

I can respect that he wanted to go somewhere he could start, but...

a.) he didn't even TRY to keep his position. He basically rolled over and died. I realize he wanted to go to Detroit, but that wasn't the reason he wanted out. He wanted out because the writing was on the wall. That doesn't mean he couldn't have blown it up and kept his spot.

b.) he went to Steelers after the Super Bowl and wanted out. Ok. Fair enough. BUT when you go and tell the freaking media you want released you KILL your trade value. He basically forced the Steelers to release him. He's a 2 time SB winning ILB that has a firm grasp of an increasingly more popular defensive scheme (the 3-4). They would have received SOMETHING for him.

It frees up cap space, so I'm glad. Foote did not handle this well, though.

LVSteelersfan
05-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Sorry, but Foote is not even half the player Timmons is going to be. Timmons will make us forget Foote even existed once he gets his feet wet. It may take a few games, but Foote had his butt covered by great LBs and a great safety in Polomolu. He was a smart player that held his position, but he is just too slow. If he even thinks he is remotely better than Timmons, he is nuts. And bitching to the press and being a crybaby instead of shutting his mouth, redoing his contract for the good of the team, and being a decent backup and a team player, just rankles me. He will disappear and never be heard from again especially on a team like the Lions. Larry, you should have shut your mouth and stayed with a class organization. The Lions are the LAST PLACE any good player would want to go to.

steelreserve
05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
All I hope is nobody gets injured. Or if they do, Davis surprises us all.

THAT'S the main reason I even cared about Foote. Without him, we're kind of rolling the dice that all 4 LBs stay healthy for all 16 games.

Crushzilla
05-05-2009, 03:43 PM
All I hope is nobody gets injured. Or if they do, Davis surprises us all.

THAT'S the main reason I even cared about Foote. Without him, we're kind of rolling the dice that all 4 LBs stay healthy for all 16 games.

I think they are designating Fox to the top of the ILB reserve pool.

I don't know if I'm excited about that or not, but at least he's been around for a season to know what's happening.

Also.

...started the first four games of his career in 2006 when he opened in place of an injured LB Derrick Johnson (with the Chiefs)...responded with 40 tackles (31 solo), a sack (-5.0 yards), three QB pressures and a pass defensed in those four starts, recording three double-digit tackle games over that span...

http://news.steelers.com/team/player/87524/

I'm not saying he's any kind of long-term answer, but he may be able to hold his ground if we need an ILB for a few games. :knocking on wood:

mmalone
05-05-2009, 04:21 PM
cap space i doubt is a problem, i bet we sign an ilb real quick when some team releases one before the season starts..

steeltheone
05-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Sorry, but Foote is not even half the player Timmons is going to be. Timmons will make us forget Foote even existed once he gets his feet wet. It may take a few games, but Foote had his butt covered by great LBs and a great safety in Polomolu. He was a smart player that held his position, but he is just too slow. If he even thinks he is remotely better than Timmons, he is nuts. And bitching to the press and being a crybaby instead of shutting his mouth, redoing his contract for the good of the team, and being a decent backup and a team player, just rankles me. He will disappear and never be heard from again especially on a team like the Lions. Larry, you should have shut your mouth and stayed with a class organization. The Lions are the LAST PLACE any good player would want to go to.

You hit the nail on the head .......Good post

KeiselPower99
05-05-2009, 06:18 PM
While Foote was nothing exciting he was stellar and dependable. I am expecting great things from Timmons but dont diss the man that did nothing but lay it on the line without missing a start for 5 years.

SteelMember
05-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Foote, Lions agree to deal
Wednesday, May 06, 2009
From wire and staff reports
Linebacker Larry Foote, who forced his way out of the Steelers, has agreed to a one-year contract with his hometown team, the Detroit Lions.

Foote told The Associated Press that terms of the deal were reached last night and he planned to sign the contract today. "I'm excited because it's a fresh start for me," Foote said in a telephone interview with the AP. "It's a one-year deal to show my talents, and hopefully end up signing a long-term deal after showing the Lions and their new coaching staff what I can do."

Foote had one year left on his contract with the Steelers at a salary of $2,885,000 but believed he would lose the starting inside linebacker job he has held the past five years to Lawrence Timmons.

First published on May 6, 2009 at 12:33 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09126/968002-66.stm