PDA

View Full Version : Early Camp Cut Predictions

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Now, first off everyone just remember this is a very early prediction but I want opinions. These are some of the guys I think get cut in camp not including the rookies or undrafted rookies.

Dallas Baker WR (Borderline chance of making team)
Fernando Bryant CB (Keiwan Ratliff will finish him off)
Bruce Davis LB (Don't think will beat out other LB)
Carey Davis FB (McHugh and "Tank" will finish this bad FB off)
Arnold Harrison LB
Tony Hills OT
Doug Legursky C
Roy Lewis CB
Stefan Logan RB
Martin Nance WR
Scott Paxson DT
Ryan Powdrell FB
Jordan Reffett DT
Dezmond Sherrod TE
Justin Vincent RB
Greg Warren LS(Surprise Cut. I think that the rookie will play well and is cheaper)
Brandon Williams WR (Could make team as returner pending rookies progression)
Donovan Woods LB

I also think that two or three of our drafted rookies will get cut, most likely the TE and one of the CB (will be put on practice squad) I think all the undrafted rookies will get cut except Mark Estermeyer and Andy Schantz (thats my surprise Patrick Bailey of 2010)

Da Steeler Soprano
04-30-2009, 10:22 AM
There is absoulety no way Bruce Davis gets cut. Tomln is very high on him, Davis is actually my pick for break out player of the year. Foote gets cut instead.

KeiselPower99
04-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Now, first off everyone just remember this is a very early prediction but I want opinions. These are some of the guys I think get cut in camp not including the rookies or undrafted rookies.

Arnold Harrison LB
Tony Hills OT
Doug Legursky C
Roy Lewis CB
Stefan Logan RB
Martin Nance WR
Scott Paxson DT
Ryan Powdrell FB
Jordan Reffett DT
Dezmond Sherrod TE
Justin Vincent RB
Greg Warren LS(Surprise Cut. I think that the rookie will play well and is cheaper)
Donovan Woods LB

I also think that two or three of our drafted rookies will get cut, most likely the TE and one of the CB (will be put on practice squad) I think all the undrafted rookies will get cut except Mark Estermeyer and Andy Schantz (thats my surprise Patrick Bailey of 2010)

Bruce Davis isnt going anywhere. We dont have anyone behind Woodley and Harrison if he is cut.

Steelman16
04-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Actually, I'd wager that none of the linebackers on that list will be cut. We're pretty thin in the backup slots, especially if Foote leaves.

deweybeachde
04-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Assuming they keep 10 Linebackers, which 3 would you cut?
We know Foote will be traded somewhere for some value which leaves 2 UDFA's to beat out 2 currently on the roster.

Here are the 12 currently on the roster and the 2 UDFAs:
Starters
J. Harrison
Woodley
Farrior
Timmons

Back-Ups
Keyaron Fox
Bailey
Davis
Frazier
A. Harrison
Woods

UDFA's
Schantz
Korte

aclark99
04-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I agree that the LB's will stay put and I also believe that Tony Hills will be there at least until the end of training camp. OL are hard to come by.

Vincent
04-30-2009, 11:49 AM
I think in an unprecedented expression of appreciation that the Steelers have 6 Lombardis, the league will offer that we keep 80 guys. :chuckle:

SteelMember
04-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Dallas Baker WR
Fernando Bryant CB
Bruce Davis LB
Carey Davis FB
Arnold Harrison LB
Tony Hills OT
Doug Legursky C
Roy Lewis CB
Stefan Logan RB
Martin Nance WR
Scott Paxson DT
Ryan Powdrell FB
Jordan Reffett DT
Dezmond Sherrod TE
Justin Vincent RB
Greg Warren LS
Brandon Williams WR
Donovan Woods LB

Ok. I'll play along, but I will only go as far as using your list.
The Bold names will be cut from the 53 man roster. Some will make the PS.

The Duke
04-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I doubt Tony Hills get cut. he has lots of potential, and i'ts not like we're stacked with tackles

Bruce davis is still an unknown. if he shows something this offseason he'll make the team. but I can honestly see him getting cut

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Here is my 53 man roster. Might as well jump the gun right now.

QB
Ben
Batch
Dixon

RB
Parker,Mendenhall, Moore, Summers, Powdrell

TE
Miller, Spaeth, McHugh

WR
Ward, Holmes, Sweed, McDonald, Wallace

O line
Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Urbik, Colon, Essex, Hills, Stapleton, Capizzi

D Line
Smith, Keisel, Hampton, Hood, Eason, Hoke

LB
Harrison, Farrior, Timmons, Woodley, Davis, Fox, Arnold Harrison, Woods, Bailey

DB
Taylor, Townsend, Clark, Polamalu, Gay, Lewis, Carter, Mundy, Burnett, Ratliff

Special Teams
Reed, Sepulveda, Warren

7willBheaven
04-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Hmm...i would say...

Paxson NT
Reffett DL
Kirschke (maybe...but it wouldnt surprise me)
Foote
Roy Lewis
Bryant CB
Vincent
Logan
Sherrod
Williams WR
Warren LS
Nance AND Baker (i could see both of them..if they only keep 4 WRs or if they bring in another vet like Lelie/etc...though one could make the team but as of now...)
Powdrell or Davis (i think only one of them makes the team...if Powdrell can play...hopefully its him that makes it)
Capizzi, Legursky, Parquet (unless someone else stinks up the joint...they cant keep em all)
Woods LB (unless A Harrison hasnt lost a step from injury i dont see him making it)

I think that covers all the non rookie players....

Here are the rookies though i could see getting cut...just for the fun of it...

Bradley/McLendon DT
Korte/Schantz LB
Richardson S
McCabe/Reilly QB
Redman RB
Johnson TE
Black/Goodman/Grisham WR
Harris DT

Yeah i really think theres a good chance both rookie CBs make the team.

Heres the team structure...

3 QB
4 RB
1 FB
3 TE
4-5 WR
9 OL
2 NT
4 DE
9 LB
6-7 CB
4 S
1 LS
1 P
1 K

I was undecided on the CB and WR...if they keep only 4 WR then we can keep 7 CBs...if we do 5 WRs then it will be 6 CBs (more likely). Pretty much the last spot would come down to Madison, Ratliff and the 2 rookies....as long as the rookies perform good as they did in college...it may come down to Madison and Ratliff...if Ratliff can do what Madison does on special team coverage he could beat him out...that would give them a good CB and ST guy...where Madison dont do too much for the CBs really...but is a special team ace.

billybob
04-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Its kind of like that one Star Trek episode.......all non-essential personell must be eliminated . Wasn't that the m5 episode? (LOL): Or was it the Nomad one , can't recall .
:rofl:

thumper
04-30-2009, 02:46 PM
There is absoulety no way Bruce Davis gets cut. Tomln is very high on him, Davis is actually my pick for break out player of the year. Foote gets cut instead.

How is Davis going to be the break out player without barely ever seeing the field on regular downs? Unless you think Woodley, Silverback or Timmons gets hurt, how is Davis even going to play?

thumper
04-30-2009, 02:48 PM
As far as your cuts, let me just say: I hope so.

I really hope Bryant doesnt make the team, b/c he sucks. Same with Carey Davis. And Hills. But I don't think Bruce Davis will be cut.

Arnold Harrison LB
Tony Hills OT
Doug Legursky C
Roy Lewis CB
Stefan Logan RB
Martin Nance WR
Scott Paxson DT
Ryan Powdrell FB
Jordan Reffett DT
Dezmond Sherrod TE
Justin Vincent RB
Donovan Woods LB

OneForTheToe
04-30-2009, 02:57 PM
My 53 man roster as of now:

16 Charlie Batch QB
2 Dennis Dixon
7 Ben Roethlisberger QB
34 Rashard Mendenhall RB
21 Mewelde Moore RB
39 Willie Parker RB
-- Frank Summers RB
81 Dallas Baker WR - could be beat by Nance
10 Santonio Holmes WR
14 Limas Sweed WR
-- Mike Wallace WR
86 Hines Ward WR
49 Sean McHugh TE
83 Heath Miller TE
89 Matt Spaeth TE
62 Justin Hartwig C
-- A.Q. Shipley C
68 Chris Kemoeatu G
72 Darnell Stapleton G
69 Jason Capizzi OL
-- Kraig Urbik OL
60 Greg Warren
74 Willie Colon OT
79 Trai Essex OT
66 Tony Hills OT - no way Hills gets cut this year, IMO
78 Max Starks OT
93 Nick Eason DE
99 Brett Keisel DE
90 Travis Kirschke DE
91 Aaron Smith DE
Evander Hood DE
98 Casey Hampton NT
76 Chris Hoke NT
55 Patrick Bailey LB
53 Bruce Davis LB -Tomlin's mentioned him twice in the last week
51 James Farrior LB
57 Keyaron Fox LB
54 Andre Frazier LB
97 Arnold Harrison LB only if he can stay healthy
92 James Harrison LB
94 Lawrence Timmons LB
56 LaMarr Woodley LB
-- Joe Burnett CB
22 William Gay CB
37 Anthony Madison CB
24 Ike Taylor CB
26 Deshea Townsend CB
23 Tyrone Carter S
25 Ryan Clark S
29 Ryan Mundy S
43 Troy Polamalu S
3 Jeff Reed PK
9 Daniel Sepulveda P

I've been pretty high on Stefan Logan, but I agree with the poster who said he will have a difficult time making the roster. We should be able to keep one less running back this year if the "Tank" works out as a FB-RB.

Many will disagree about Shipley making the roster, but here is my thinking at this time (after we see him at camp, I might think ps or cut his butt). Basically he is in a fight for one or two spots with Legursky and Capizzi. There is a saying I heard once that has stuck with me over the years "repeaters tend to repeat." For example, the majority of those who take the "Bar Exam" actually do pass. However, the majority of those who have to retake the test a second time, because they failed the first time, actually fail the second time (see John John). In this case, I am a fan of Legursky (and Capizzi), but I think if you fail to "have enough" to make the team one year, the chances are you won't "have enough" make it the next. Sure, the Steelers have had some success by sticking with players who finally make it. But, for very James Harrison and Nate Washington, there are 100's of players who hung around every camp for two or three years but never made it.

I think Shipley makes it because at Guard/Center you can play early -and he has a rep for having a high football IQ. I'm giving Capizzi the edge to finally make the roster over Legursky only because I think Legursky can go back to the PS for another year. However, Capizzi might be out of ps eligibility (not sure) meaning this is make or break for Capizzi. Plus, the Steelers have more depth at center/guard than OT. Of course, there is even the chance that none of the three will make it. A guy like Jeremy Parquet could sneak in there as well. Or, the Steelers could go with just 9 linemen like last year.

Defensively, I'm only keeping 9 backers, but that is because I think they will keep 7 d'linemen and 9 db's.

Practice squad thoughts:

J. Burnett CB C Florida - could make team as returner
R. Harris DT Oregon
D. Johnson TE Arkansas St
S Paxon - if he is eligible
LS from Pitt (forgot his name)
Ryan Powell (if eligible)
Jeremy Parquet (see above)
One of the rookie rookie fa backers
If someone above is not eligible, one of the rookie fa qb's

Rek
04-30-2009, 03:00 PM

Arnold Harrison LB
Tony Hills OT
Doug Legursky C
Roy Lewis CB
Stefan Logan RB
Martin Nance WR
Scott Paxson DT
Ryan Powdrell FB
Jordan Reffett DT
Dezmond Sherrod TE
Justin Vincent RB
Donovan Woods LB

Carey Davis is a pitiful example of a FB. Not big enough, average hands, not enough "pop" to hit the hole or get the tough 3rd / goal line yards. Cut him.

OneForTheToe
04-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Ok, please remove Dallas Baker -not so much the touchdown maker - and insert Shaun McDonald.

thank you

The Lakelander
04-30-2009, 04:00 PM

Arnold Harrison LB
Tony Hills OT
Doug Legursky C
Roy Lewis CB
Stefan Logan RB
Martin Nance WR
Scott Paxson DT
Ryan Powdrell FB
Jordan Reffett DT
Dezmond Sherrod TE
Justin Vincent RB
Donovan Woods LB

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS?

THIS DISCUSSION IS BULL!

HAVE THIS DISCUSSION IN AUGUST FOR PETE'S SAKE!

steelreserve
04-30-2009, 04:48 PM
How is Davis going to be the break out player without barely ever seeing the field on regular downs? Unless you think Woodley, Silverback or Timmons gets hurt, how is Davis even going to play?

Bingo. When's the last time we made it through the season with no linebackers missing a single game? Or significant parts within a game. Or just shuffling out from time to time to get a breather. The top backup plays quite a bit.

But whatever ... as long as Carey Davis is on the cut list, I'll be a happy man.

7willBheaven
04-30-2009, 05:45 PM
My 53 man roster as of now:

16 Charlie Batch QB
2 Dennis Dixon
7 Ben Roethlisberger QB
34 Rashard Mendenhall RB
21 Mewelde Moore RB
39 Willie Parker RB
-- Frank Summers RB
81 Dallas Baker WR - could be beat by Nance
10 Santonio Holmes WR
14 Limas Sweed WR
-- Mike Wallace WR
86 Hines Ward WR
49 Sean McHugh TE
83 Heath Miller TE
89 Matt Spaeth TE
62 Justin Hartwig C
-- A.Q. Shipley C
68 Chris Kemoeatu G
72 Darnell Stapleton G
69 Jason Capizzi OL
-- Kraig Urbik OL
60 Greg Warren
74 Willie Colon OT
79 Trai Essex OT
66 Tony Hills OT - no way Hills gets cut this year, IMO
78 Max Starks OT
93 Nick Eason DE
99 Brett Keisel DE
90 Travis Kirschke DE
91 Aaron Smith DE
Evander Hood DE
98 Casey Hampton NT
76 Chris Hoke NT
55 Patrick Bailey LB
53 Bruce Davis LB -Tomlin's mentioned him twice in the last week
51 James Farrior LB
57 Keyaron Fox LB
54 Andre Frazier LB
97 Arnold Harrison LB only if he can stay healthy
92 James Harrison LB
94 Lawrence Timmons LB
56 LaMarr Woodley LB
-- Joe Burnett CB
22 William Gay CB
37 Anthony Madison CB
24 Ike Taylor CB
26 Deshea Townsend CB
23 Tyrone Carter S
25 Ryan Clark S
29 Ryan Mundy S
43 Troy Polamalu S
3 Jeff Reed PK
9 Daniel Sepulveda P

I've been pretty high on Stefan Logan, but I agree with the poster who said he will have a difficult time making the roster. We should be able to keep one less running back this year if the "Tank" works out as a FB-RB.

Many will disagree about Shipley making the roster, but here is my thinking at this time (after we see him at camp, I might think ps or cut his butt). Basically he is in a fight for one or two spots with Legursky and Capizzi. There is a saying I heard once that has stuck with me over the years "repeaters tend to repeat." For example, the majority of those who take the "Bar Exam" actually do pass. However, the majority of those who have to retake the test a second time, because they failed the first time, actually fail the second time (see John John). In this case, I am a fan of Legursky (and Capizzi), but I think if you fail to "have enough" to make the team one year, the chances are you won't "have enough" make it the next. Sure, the Steelers have had some success by sticking with players who finally make it. But, for very James Harrison and Nate Washington, there are 100's of players who hung around every camp for two or three years but never made it.

I think Shipley makes it because at Guard/Center you can play early -and he has a rep for having a high football IQ. I'm giving Capizzi the edge to finally make the roster over Legursky only because I think Legursky can go back to the PS for another year. However, Capizzi might be out of ps eligibility (not sure) meaning this is make or break for Capizzi. Plus, the Steelers have more depth at center/guard than OT. Of course, there is even the chance that none of the three will make it. A guy like Jeremy Parquet could sneak in there as well. Or, the Steelers could go with just 9 linemen like last year.

Defensively, I'm only keeping 9 backers, but that is because I think they will keep 7 d'linemen and 9 db's.

Practice squad thoughts:

J. Burnett CB C Florida - could make team as returner
R. Harris DT Oregon
D. Johnson TE Arkansas St
S Paxon - if he is eligible
LS from Pitt (forgot his name)
Ryan Powell (if eligible)
Jeremy Parquet (see above)
One of the rookie rookie fa backers
If someone above is not eligible, one of the rookie fa qb's

Where Keenan Lewis at? You have Burnett twice...once on the roster once on PS.

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Tomlin may be high on Davis but Jack Butler has a lot to do with it too. Butler said that Davis couldn't pick up the schemes last year, and he is still struggling to learn the pieces (last part is not a direct quote)

I agree Parquet will probably get cut but Hills is not that good that is why he dressed 3 times last year. Parquet was in games more than Hill. People are also forgetting that there is almost always one undrafted rookie that makes the team and another 2 or so that makes practice squad.

They will only keep one FB and they've said Tank will get a shot there. Parker, Moore, Mendenhall will be the backs. McHugh was used a lot at FB when Tomlin realized Davis wasn't that good so Tank and McHugh will take that spot. Powdrell will not make the team.

Besides people keep mentioning depth at LB you realize the only spot there isn't depth is the inside. Fox is the only ILB that will not be a starter (pending Foote's release). On the outside there is Bailey, Davis, Harrison, Woods, Frazier. Korte and Schantz are ILB. At least one will make the team. There are a lot of expendable players.

Including rookies there are 8 or 9 CB. They will only keep 5 most likely. So Bryant and Lewis will have to go along with one more. Mundy has an up hill battle to make the roster. Lorello was a much better safety and he failed to make the team three times.

Like I said way early calls. After two preseason games it should become more clear.

KeiselPower99
04-30-2009, 07:51 PM
QB Ben Dixon Batch
RB Parker Mendenhall Moore Logan
FB Summers
WR Ward Holmes Sweed McDonald Wallace
TE Miller Spaeth McHugh
LT Starks Capizzi
LG Kemoeatu Legursky
C Hartwig Shipley
RG Stapleton Urbik
RT Colon Hills

DE Smith Eason
NT Hampton Hoke
DE keisel Hood
LB Woodley Bailey
LB Farrior Fox
LB Timmons Frazier
LB Harrison Davis
CB Gay Townsend Madison
CB Taylor K.Lewis Burnett
S Clark Mundy
S Polamalu Carter

K Reed
P Sepulveda
LS Warren

KR Wallace Logan Burnett

Replace Madison or Burnett with a 6th WR if needed

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2009, 08:09 PM
They will only keep one FB and they've said Tank will get a shot there. Parker, Moore, Mendenhall will be the backs. McHugh was used a lot at FB when Tomlin realized Davis wasn't that good so Tank and McHugh will take that spot. Powdrell will not make the team.

Here is what Kirby Wilson said:

Can Frank move as a third tight end?

No. He’s strictly going to be a halfback/fullback combination.

Is that the Carey Davis role?

The way we see it Carey is a fullback only, but an emergency halfback. Frank is going to be a halfback that can play fullback for us.

Who is the other fullback you are counting?

Ryan Powdrell.
http://news.steelers.com/article/105084/

Looks like to me they think of Summers as a HB who can play FB and the FB job will be between Davis and Powdrell.

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 08:26 PM
No team is going to keep three FB no matter if they are hybrids at other positions. Your telling me that along with three RB (Parker, Mendenhall, Moore) They are going to keep Carey Davis to be strictly a FB, Tank as a RB/FB hybrid, Powdrell to be strictly a FB, and Sean McHugh who played TE and lined up at FB for 4 games (and did a good job)

RB- Parker, Mendenhall, Moore
RB/FB- Summers
FB/TE- McHugh
CUT- Powdrell, Davis

There are just too many other depth issues to keep two unneeded players.

7willBheaven
04-30-2009, 08:30 PM
One thing i've seen on here and other places is that people keep cutting Essex...he wont be going anywhere...he's very valuable member of the OL...can play any position (except maybe C)...and he just signed like a new 2-3 year deal...i do not see him getting cut.

Steelman16
04-30-2009, 08:33 PM
No team is going to keep three FB no matter if they are hybrids at other positions. Your telling me that along with three RB (Parker, Mendenhall, Moore) They are going to keep Carey Davis to be strictly a FB, Tank as a RB/FB hybrid, Powdrell to be strictly a FB, and Sean McHugh who played TE and lined up at FB for 4 games (and did a good job)

RB/FB- Summers
FB/TE- McHugh
CUT- Powdrell, Davis

You're forgetting that McHugh is a tight end, who happens to play backup fullback. We have 3-TE formations, so we need that 3rd TE. The only way that doesn't happen is if they use Starks as the 3rd, but Spaeth has blocking issues, so I doubt they get rid of McHugh.

Thus, you gotta look at it like this:

RB - Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Summers
FB - Powdrell
TE - Miller, Spaeth, McHugh

CUT: Davis

(Powdrell over Davis just for kicks. :chuckle: )

7willBheaven

RB/FB- Summers
FB/TE- McHugh
CUT- Powdrell, Davis

Nobody said they going to keep Davis AND Powdrell. They will probably keep one OR the other though i have a feeling....unless they think one of these other RBs...Vincent, Redman, Logan are worth keeping, if not... isee Parker, Mendy, Moore, Summers and either Davis or Powdrell...i dunno much about Powdrell but hes a big guy and looks like he can block so i'd be all for him....and let McHugh be a 2nd/3rd TE on the line to help blocking up front and then you'd have big Powdrell as the FB...i think that could be a pretty good combo.

Crushzilla

If Timmons is starting and Foote isn't on the team there's a very good chance he will see playing time.

7willBheaven
04-30-2009, 08:38 PM
You're forgetting that McHugh is a tight end, who happens to play backup fullback. We have 3-TE formations, so we need that 3rd TE. The only way that doesn't happen is if they use Starks as the 3rd, but Spaeth has blocking issues, so I doubt they get rid of McHugh.

Thus, you gotta look at it like this:

RB - Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Summers
FB - Powdrell
TE - Miller, Spaeth, McHugh

CUT: Davis

(Powdrell over Davis just for kicks. :chuckle: )

Perfectly said!

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Perfectly said!

Not perfectly said. On the 3 TE sets you've mentioned Summers will be brought in as FB a lot especially if they let Mendenhall carry inside the 15 like they want. Hence forth you don't need Powdrell or Davis.

If they do keep one or the other that is one less LB or DB they can keep and they need those positions a little more.

Steelman16
04-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Not perfectly said. On the 3 TE sets you've mentioned Summers will be brought in as FB a lot especially if they let Mendenhall carry inside the 15 like they want. Hence forth you don't need Powdrell or Davis.

If they do keep one or the other that is one less LB or DB they can keep and they need those positions a little more.

If Powdrell is the true fullback why would they put Summers at FB on a goal line play? Besides, even though Mendenhall is good, Summers would be the better GL back, IMO. Therefore, who blocks for him?

Essentially, if we're going to use more power plays, we need a straight up fullback.

Besides, we carried 5 backs last year anyway.

7willBheaven
04-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan

If Powdrell is the true fullback why would they put Summers at FB on a goal line play? Besides, even though Mendenhall is good, Summers would be the better GL back, IMO. Therefore, who blocks for him?

Essentially, if we're going to use more power plays, we need a straight up fullback.

Besides, we carried 5 backs last year anyway.

Right on again.....and nobody said 100% Summers would be a FB inside the 15...nobody knows what exactly what they will do. And yeah last year they had 5 on staff...and they will probably do it again. With Powdrell or Davis being the last guy.

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 09:19 PM
We carried 5 because Parker and Mendenhall were hurt a lot...remember the poor rushing attack.

I know we don't know yet...but isn't that the glory of debating it? I'm not trying to be an a hole I just like talking both sides. I'm very interested about what will happen either way.

I hope Powdrell makes the team. We met him at Fan Blitz this year and he is a pretty good size guy and he is very polite.

7willBheaven
04-30-2009, 10:27 PM
We carried 5 backs from the begining of the year...before anyone got hurt. Most teams will carry 4-5 backs (between RBs and FBs)

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Bruce Davis and Tony Hills will make the team

OneForTheToe
05-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Where Keenan Lewis at? You have Burnett twice...once on the roster once on PS.

:doh: Sorry, too much cutting and pasting. I meant Lewis on the roster and Burnett to the PS. Although Burnett could make the team as a special teamer. It is just going to be tough to keep a guy just to return kicks with this roster.

OneForTheToe
05-01-2009, 12:54 AM
One thing i've seen on here and other places is that people keep cutting Essex...he wont be going anywhere...he's very valuable member of the OL...can play any position (except maybe C)...and he just signed like a new 2-3 year deal...i do not see him getting cut.

Very much agree. He can play four positions on the line. No way he gets cut. He is especially vital as an insurance policy if some year we are going to stop paying Starks like he was John Kuhn or something.

7willBheaven
05-01-2009, 01:06 AM
:doh: Sorry, too much cutting and pasting. I meant Lewis on the roster and Burnett to the PS. Although Burnett could make the team as a special teamer. It is just going to be tough to keep a guy just to return kicks with this roster.

No problem...i figured he was to be listed on the roster...i think though they BOTH have a good chance making it...and if they are as good as i hear/etc...i have no problemo wit it....i could see it being:

Taylor, Gay, Townsend, K. Lewis, Burnett and the last position between Madison and Ratliff...Madison is mainly a special teams ace...as he dont usually see the field as a CB...if Ratliff can play ST as good...he could get the nod..because he's a good CB also. I like Madison and all...but if Ratliff does as good or better then he should get it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 01:07 AM

RB/FB- Summers
FB/TE- McHugh
CUT- Powdrell, Davis

I am not gonna tell you anything but what RB coach Kirby Wilson is saying. McHugh is listed as a TE. Carey Davis is listed as the starting FB. Frank Summers is listed as a HB that can play some FB. Check out the draft transcript where Wilson states all 3 of those things.

I still maintain that there will be 4 HB and 1 FB on the opening day roster( I SAID POWDRELL WILL BEAT DAVIS OUT FOR THE FB SPOT). The Steelers kept 4 RB last year (Parker, Moore, Mendenhall, Russell) and a FB (Carey Davis) on their opening day roster. So why would they not do it this year??? When Mahan was traded they signed McHugh. When Keisel went down they signed Orpheus Roye and cut Davis to make room.

The only difference is this year Summers replaces Russell on the 53 man roster and there is still a FB on the roster. But, then again, I cant tell you they are gonna keep that many RB's. :rolleyes:

OneForTheToe
05-01-2009, 01:14 AM
I still maintain that there will be 4 HB and 1 FB on the opening day roster. The Steelers kept 7 D linemen last year and will not have to this year.

So who gets cut from the D'line from last years roster? If you add Ziggy to the starters from last year, then we are left with Hoke, Eason and Kirshkie for two spots and Harris to the PS. Hokey Pokey stays because he has proven to be able to back-up "big Snack." So Kirshkie or Eason? Personally, I think we might keep seven, but who knows?

steelreserve
05-01-2009, 01:24 AM
So who gets cut from the D'line from last years roster? If you add Ziggy to the starters from last year, then we are left with Hoke, Eason and Kirshkie for two spots and Harris to the PS. Hokey Pokey stays because he has proven to be able to back-up "big Snack." So Kirshkie or Eason? Personally, I think we might keep seven, but who knows?

Really, I think it all depends on who gets beat up in training camp and ends up not being able to play. If it's a DB, DL, OL, or one of our backup LBs, that's probably where we'll start the season one guy short on the depth chart, and one of the other positions will keep an extra guy. No way to tell yet.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 01:31 AM

The only reason the Steelers kept 7 last year was that Keisel had that knee injury and they need to sign another D lineman in Roye. They were not gonna put Keisel on the season ending list, so he had to remain on the 53 man list. The Steelers traditionally go with 6 d linemen.

My guess is they go with Eason because he is younger than Kirschke and doesnt have the history of back problems that Kirschke does. I would say Sonny Harris becomes the backup NT, but you are probably right he ends up on the PS.

I think , Smith, Keisel, Hampton, Hoke, Eason, Hood.

OneForTheToe
05-01-2009, 02:16 AM
The only reason the Steelers kept 7 last year was that Keisel had that knee injury and they need to sign another D lineman in Roye. They were not gonna put Keisel on the season ending list, so he had to remain on the 53 man list. The Steelers traditionally go with 6 d linemen.

My guess is they go with Eason because he is younger than Kirschke and doesnt have the history of back problems that Kirschke does. I would say Sonny Harris becomes the backup NT, but you are probably right he ends up on the PS.

I think , Smith, Keisel, Hampton, Hoke, Eason, Hood.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just think the Steelers, as they have in the past, will be cautious about relying on a rookie in a Lebeau system. I thouht Eason came along last year and agree he will get the nod if it comes down to him or Kirshkie. Still, it will be interesting to see.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 10:00 AM
I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just think the Steelers, as they have in the past, will be cautious about relying on a rookie in a Lebeau system. I thouht Eason came along last year and agree he will get the nod if it comes down to him or Kirshkie. Still, it will be interesting to see.

I hear what you are saying. I dont think Hood is gonna be a starter. I think Hood is gonna be on the roster and get rotated into games a bit. I really doubt that the Steelers are gonna keep 7 O linemen, just because they dont think they can rely on their rookie 1st round pick to be the #4 DE.

billybob
05-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Oh well , guess thats why we have training camp , and preseason , to make such decisions . I remember Tomlin has said no one on our team is promised a job in the past . I would assume he still feels the same way .

Steely McSmash
05-01-2009, 12:55 PM
I hear what you are saying. I dont think Hood is gonna be a starter. I think Hood is gonna be on the roster and get rotated into games a bit. I really doubt that the Steelers are gonna keep 7 O linemen, just because they dont think they can rely on their rookie 1st round pick to be the #4 DE.

The DE backups rotate in quite a bit don't they? I think Tomlin was making this a point of emphasis last year particulary early when it's hot.

My guess is that Hood is the 7th guy and is inactive on gameday to start. when there is a short term injury to some non DE guy that will require that extra spot on the game-day inactives, then Hood might get put into the rotation with Kirschke or Eason getting let go, assuming that he's able to contribute. That way they still have the experienced rotation early but could use up the spot later in the season to carry an injured guy.

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Most people are assuming that all the rookies will make it. Is there any rookie besides the TE we will cut?

Steelman16
05-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Most people are assuming that all the rookies will make it. Is there any rookie besides the TE we will cut?

Harris most likely. But he'll probably make the PS if they see something in him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 03:04 PM

I think the 6th and 7th round picks definately have a chance of being cut and then attempt to add to the practice squad if any of them show promise in camp.

Hood, Urbik, Lewis are a lock. Summers probably and either Burnett or Wallace could find themselves cut too if they dont have enough return value. CB and WR is gonna be competitive groups to make.

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I think the 6th and 7th round picks definately have a chance of being cut and then attempt to add to the practice squad if any of them show promise in camp.

Hood, Urbik, Lewis are a lock. Summers probably and either Burnett or Wallace could find themselves cut too if they dont have enough return value. CB and WR is gonna be competitive groups to make.

I think that Hood, Urbik, Lewis, Burnett are locks. Shipley and Wallace are likely to make the team. Everyone else is on the edge. The TE and Harris are out.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 03:28 PM
I think that Hood, Urbik, Lewis, Burnett are locks. Shipley and Wallace are likely to make the team. Everyone else is on the edge. The TE and Harris are out.

I just think if Ratliff has more value, that he can edge out Burnett as the CB/ KR. Same too with Wallace...he could end up the #6WR and cut.

I just dont think that a 7th round pick at center is "likely to make the team", when there are already 3 centers on the roster. I would say he has an uphill battle to make the 53 man roster.

steelreserve
05-01-2009, 04:28 PM
I just think if Ratliff has more value, that he can edge out Burnett as the CB/ KR. Same too with Wallace...he could end up the #6WR and cut.

I just dont think that a 7th round pick at center is "likely to make the team", when there are already 3 centers on the roster. I would say he has an uphill battle to make the 53 man roster.

Shipley and Wallace have practice squad written all over them if they don't make the regular 53-man roster. So does whichever one of the two CBs that doesn't make it (I imagine one of them will make the roster but not both). But I'd be surprised if we just cut any of this year's picks outright, except for the TE and DL we took at the end.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Shipley and Wallace have practice squad written all over them if they don't make the regular 53-man roster. So does whichever one of the two CBs that doesn't make it (I imagine one of them will make the roster but not both). But I'd be surprised if we just cut any of this year's picks outright, except for the TE and DL we took at the end.

Yeah, I think you are right. But I also think they might try and keep Sonny Harris around on the PS as he might be able to replace Hoke or Eason by 2010.

steelreserve
05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Hey, if Harris turns out to be good enough, then awesome. Keisel was a 7th rounder himself if I'm not mistaken. But if he can't cut it ... well, he was only a 6th-round pick, so no big loss.

How many guys DO we get to keep on the practice squad anyway? I thought it used to be only five, but then I vaguely remember hearing something about them increasing it to six or seven guys? If I could help it, I'd love to give all our picks from this year and last an extra year to get ready if they needed to, but I'm just not sure how much space there is for guys who are developing and not playing.

OneForTheToe
05-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey, if Harris turns out to be good enough, then awesome. Keisel was a 7th rounder himself if I'm not mistaken. But if he can't cut it ... well, he was only a 6th-round pick, so no big loss.

How many guys DO we get to keep on the practice squad anyway? I thought it used to be only five, but then I vaguely remember hearing something about them increasing it to six or seven guys? If I could help it, I'd love to give all our picks from this year and last an extra year to get ready if they needed to, but I'm just not sure how much space there is for guys who are developing and not playing.

I think it was increased to eight players - nine if one of them is a international player . So we could put Beckham on our practice squad so that he could take money from two American sports franchises for generally sucking at what he does. :noidea:

Actually, I'm not sure is the 9th international player is still a possibility now that NFL Europe is kaput.

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 07:49 PM
People keep cutting Shipley down like there is this big line of players ready to be a back up center. Legursky was cut last year and only spent part of the year on PS. The only other centers that will be coming to camp is Hartwig and Shipley. He will make the team as a back up.

Steely McSmash
05-01-2009, 08:05 PM
People keep cutting Shipley down like there is this big line of players ready to be a back up center. Legursky was cut last year and only spent part of the year on PS. The only other centers that will be coming to camp is Hartwig and Shipley. He will make the team as a back up.

Stapleton also plays center...

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Stapleton also plays center...

I understand that but Tomlin said he wants a clear backup, not a guard/center hybrid. Colbert has said that they need to think about the future and Shipley makes it less cloudy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 08:17 PM
I understand that but Tomlin said he wants a clear backup, not a guard/center hybrid. Colbert has said that they need to think about the future and Shipley makes it less cloudy.

Please could you show me the quote where Tomlin said this? I seem to remember him stating the importance of "position flexibility". It is why Arians said they will give Urbik some work at center so he can play there if needed.

If both Urbik and Stapleton can play Guard and Center.....they will dress on gameday, where a pure backup center will not.

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Not in an article. It was during an interview with Ed Bouchette. He said (not quoting nor did I before directly quote him) that flexibility was important but he would like set starters. Not "well hes a guard but we will list him as that and a center" What I took from it and Bouchette did too, was that he wanted a set starter and backup and he used the word protege (Bouchette later relayed that on Savran with of course Stan Savran and Jeff Hartings. End of March I believe.) Pure was my word he never used that word. It's what I took from it. No team wants a starter then 3 guys who can play multiple spots, if you have injuries, then you run out of people where they should be (that was a quote from Bouchette). On the beat also mentioned this same talking after talking to Colbert. But, again almighty lord of Tomlin's mind it is an opinion and what I took out of his comments...last line was a joke by the way don't take it too serious.

The Duke
05-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Harris most likely. But he'll probably make the PS if they see something in him.

He sounds like scott paxson's replacement for the practice squad. But I'm hoping the best for him :thumbsup:

I really wouldn't say anybody is out. I hated the william gay pick a few years ago and I quickly became one of his biggest supporters

david johnson can replace spaeth next year if he can block....

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Not in an article. It was during an interview with Ed Bouchette. He said (not quoting nor did I before directly quote him) that flexibility was important but he would like set starters. Not "well hes a guard but we will list him as that and a center" What I took from it and Bouchette did too, was that he wanted a set starter and backup and he used the word protege (Bouchette later relayed that on Savran with of course Stan Savran and Jeff Hartings. End of March I believe.) Pure was my word he never used that word. It's what I took from it. No team wants a starter then 3 guys who can play multiple spots, if you have injuries, then you run out of people where they should be (that was a quote from Bouchette). On the beat also mentioned this same talking after talking to Colbert. But, again almighty lord of Tomlin's mind it is an opinion and what I took out of his comments...last line was a joke by the way don't take it too serious.

Yeah, I just think that in this day and age where teams normally only dress 2 backup linemen on gameday, both Stapleton and Urbik bring more "position flexibility" to the position than Shipley. I can see Urbik winning the RG spot, Stapleton and Essex active on gameday, with Hills and Capizzi inactive.

Shipley is likely to make it to the practice squad and then if they decide to not extend Hartwig, in 2010 he will compete with Stapleton, Legursky and maybe a draft pick next year like Matt Tennant of BC or Kris O'Dowd of USC for the center job.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I just think that in this day and age where teams normally only dress 2 backup linemen on gameday, both Stapleton and Urbik bring more "position flexibility" to the position than Shipley. I can see Urbik winning the RG spot, Stapleton and Essex active on gameday, with Hills and Capizzi inactive.

Shipley is likely to make it to the practice squad and then if they decide to not extend Hartwig, in 2010 he will compete with Stapleton, Legursky and maybe a draft pick next year like Matt Tennant of BC or Kris O'Dowd of USC for the center job.

I have a suspicion that Essex may be expendable before all is said and done. I can see Urbik at right guard with Stapleton and Hills active on game days. I look for Hills to actually get some playing time this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2009, 12:29 PM
I have a suspicion that Essex may be expendable before all is said and done. I can see Urbik at right guard with Stapleton and Hills active on game days. I look for Hills to actually get some playing time this year.

OR.........the other way to look at it is...Essex is the valuable guy that has played backup LT in the NFL and can play guard. Stapleton is the less than powerful OG that can play C and Stapleton becomes expendible with Shipley being the backup Center that can play guard.

So , in that case Hills and Essex dress as backups on game day. The active backup at center is Urbik and the reserves that dont dress are Capizzi and Shipley. I think the real guy that needs to worry about losing his job is Stapleton, because 2 interior linemen were drafted.

55BaileyFan
05-02-2009, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson;600661]Yeah, I just think that in this day and age where teams normally only dress 2 backup linemen on gameday, both Stapleton and Urbik bring more "position flexibility" to the position than Shipley. I can see Urbik winning the RG spot, Stapleton and Essex active on gameday, with Hills and Capizzi inactive.

Shipley is likely to make it to the practice squad and then if they decide to not extend Hartwig, in 2010 he will compete with Stapleton, Legursky and maybe a draft pick next year like Matt Tennant of BC or Kris O'Dowd of USC for the center job.[/QUOTE

Well, I guest that you are right...that does make sense...Good points. I still hope that Shipley makes the team...Tomlin will do whats right.

OneForTheToe
05-02-2009, 07:58 PM
It seems there is an abundance of talk about Essex and/or Hills getting cut. Frankly, to me it seems like the two are almost locks. The Steelers have very little depth at OT- particularly on the left side. Those two players are pretty much all the Steelers have as depth save for the possibility Cappizzi or Parquet. However, neither of those players have yet to ever make an NFL roster let alone prove to be dependable back-ups. Of course, Hills hasn't proven much either. Still all thing equal the Steelers are more likely to stick with his potential to play LT than to take a fllyer on either Cappizzi or Parquet. If Cappizzi is out of practice sqaud eligibility regardless of who else makes the team.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I have a bet with my son...he thinks that the Steelers will trade away Holmes after this season.....HOLMES!!!!!!!?????

He is thinking that:
A) With the Steelers giving Ward a new contract
B) The Steelers drafting a WR that seems to be more of a field stretcher than a slot receiever
C) The possible emergence of Sweed
D) The signing of McDonald......AND
E) The legal problems that Holmes seems to have compiled...(and never seems to completely go away)...

...The Steelers will be willing to at least entertain offers for a player that, though exciting, doesnt seem to "quite" fit the Steelers traditional mindset.

We are only betting a lunch...with the loser paying the tab...but I am glad to see him "thinking" Steelers football instead of just being the casual fan. (15 is a great age for a son!!!)

Steelman16
05-03-2009, 02:13 PM
I have a bet with my son...he thinks that the Steelers will trade away Holmes after this season.....HOLMES!!!!!!!?????

He is thinking that:
A) With the Steelers giving Ward a new contract
B) The Steelers drafting a WR that seems to be more of a field stretcher than a slot receiever
C) The possible emergence of Sweed
D) The signing of McDonald......AND
E) The legal problems that Holmes seems to have compiled...(and never seems to completely go away)...

...The Steelers will be willing to at least entertain offers for a player that, though exciting, doesnt seem to "quite" fit the Steelers traditional mindset.

We are only betting a lunch...with the loser paying the tab...but I am glad to see him "thinking" Steelers football instead of just being the casual fan. (15 is a great age for a son!!!)

Reasoning? Where did you go wrong with your son? :laughing:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Reasoning? Where did you go wrong with your son? :laughing:

I told him he was wrong...but ...HEY!!..he is a Steelers Fan...and is keeping an eye on the team...I'm blessed!!!
(I swear he should be an attorney!)

Steelman16
05-03-2009, 03:11 PM
I told him he was wrong...but ...HEY!!..he is a Steelers Fan...and is keeping an eye on the team...I'm blessed!!!
(I swear he should be an attorney!)

For sure! All the evidence seems to point toward a logical conclusion... :doh:

Don't give the Rooney's any ideas! We all know they like to save a buck. :chuckle: :rolleyes:

Steely McSmash
05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Regarding OL backups.

Last year we had Starks, Stapleton, Essex and Hills as backups coming out of camp I think. So that's OT, C/G, G/OT, OT. Basically gives you the ability to replace any 3 linemen in case of injury. Hills was maybe dead weight last year but he needed to take a spot to protect him.

This year if Urbik beats out Stapleton, then I think backups are Stapleton, Hills, Essex. If they add a fourth it would be between Shipley/Legursky, Capizzi and Foster IMO.

If Stapleton holds onto RG thru camp, then I think you're looking at Urbik, Hills and Shipley/Legursky. If they add a fourth it would be between Capizzi Essex and Foster.

Probably Foster will fall to and hopefully make the practice squad.

Steely McSmash
05-03-2009, 11:26 PM
My stab at the 53 man roster

Qb (3) Ben Dixon Batch
Rb (4) Fwp Mendehhall Memo Summers
FB (1) Davis
WR (5) Ward Holmes Sweed Mcdonald Wallace
TE (3) Miller McHugh Spaeth
OL (9) Starks Kemo Hartwig Stapleton Colon Urbik Hills Essex Shipley
DL (6) Smith Hampton Keisel Eason Hoke Hood
LB (9) Woodley Farrior Timmons J Harrison Fox Davis Bailey Korte Frazier
CB(5) Taylor Gay Ratliff Madison K Lewis
S (4) Troy Clark Mundy Townsend
Sp (4) Sepulveda Reed Estermeyer Logan/Burnett as punt returner

Practice Squad - Reilly QB, Roy Lewis CB/S, Capizzi OT, RaShonn Harris DL, SHerrod TE, OL Foster, LB Woods, Baker WR

I think that Korte has a chance to make the roster at ILB and contributing on special teams. I think the DL goes with 7 with HOOD being inactive for some time. Last year we actually had 8 DL on the roster for a bit. Since there's no need for wedge busting, Paxson's spot is gone. As much as Davis isn't fit to carry Kreider's helmet, he's the best FB we have. I can't see that Powdrell who's never even made an NFL roster can beat out Davis. I'd be interested in only going with 4 backs and potentially using a LB as a goal line FB like Vrabel did for NE but I don't see that happening. better punt returner of Burnett /logan makes the roster. If neither flashes, I'd guess an extra CB or LB makes the team. not sure if Capizzi is still eligible for the PS. If he's out, Parquet or Paxson is in. Townsend can obviously fill in at CB or S

paw-n-maul-u
05-04-2009, 12:47 AM

Qb (3) Ben Dixon Batch
FB (1) Davis I see davis being cut, He was basically the only pass catching FB on the roster when we made the decision to drop him, Summers should get the spot over davis immediately, and he isn't a Tomlin product, was scouted hard by this team, and Bruce arians loves him, and he is also a special teams stand out. Davis is gone and I think we go with four backs next year
Sp (4) Sepulveda Reed Estermeyer Logan/Burnett I think Wallace might take that duty with some Santonio sprinkled in every once in awhileas punt returner

Practice Squad - Reilly QB, Roy Lewis CB/S, Capizzi OT, RaShonn Harris DL, SHerrod TE, OL Foster, LB Woods, Baker WR

I think that Korte has a chance to make the roster at ILB and contributing on special teams. I think the DL goes with 7 with HOOD being inactive for some time. Last year we actually had 8 DL on the roster for a bit. Since there's no need for wedge busting, Paxson's spot is gone. As much as Davis isn't fit to carry Kreider's helmet, he's the best FB we have. I can't see that Powdrell who's never even made an NFL roster can beat out Davis. I'd be interested in only going with 4 backs and potentially using a LB as a goal line FB like Vrabel did for NE but I don't see that happening. better punt returner of Burnett /logan makes the roster. If neither flashes, I'd guess an extra CB or LB makes the team. not sure if Capizzi is still eligible for the PS. If he's out, Parquet or Paxson is in. Townsend can obviously fill in at CB or S

That's a real good list. And I really like the recent addition of mcdonald to the WR core, we have good depth at that position now, esp. with ward resigned, sweet showing good progress in the mini camps, and an obvious resigning of Holmes in a season or two

OneForTheToe
05-04-2009, 12:57 AM

Qb (3) Ben Dixon Batch
FB (1) Davis

I agree with much of what you said. It is pretty similar to my list. I'm thinking more and more that they may keep 7 d'linemen. If they do not believe that Hood can help this season the coaches might not want to take the risk of him having to play a lot of minutes. That would mean that Kirshkie could live to see one more season. Sure he isn't great, but we know what we get with him. When Keisel went down last season, Kirshkie and Eason did a pretty good job. Plus, Kirshkie started in the Steelers' farm system - otherwise known as Detroit. :wave:

I still think Davis is toast.

SunshineMan21
05-04-2009, 01:02 AM

Qb (3) Ben Dixon Batch
FB (1) Davis

I like your roster--a few things I feel might shake out differently.

~Between McHugh's blocking ability and Summers' ability as a runner, it's not clear what Carey Davis offers, unless Tomlin wants to keep him for his ST ability.

~If we keep Wallace as the fifth receiver, do we need to keep a dedicated returner? While Logan or Burnett might make the team in that role, it doesn't make much sense to me to carry multiple guys on the roster who are solely returners (and I doubt Wallace will see much time as a regular receiver his rookie year).

~Do you think Korte will beat out A. Harrison (who would have to be cut) and D. Woods for a roster spot? It's definitely possible.

~If Shipley can long-snap, Estermeyer/Warren are probably out of luck. But if Urbick beats out Stapleton, Shipley is headed to the practice squad unless he can demonstrate an ability to play G--there's no pressure on him yet and we don't need multiple backups at C.

~I really like Townsend as a S backup, but I think they hang on to Tyrone Carter. He's an adequate backup, and Mundy isn't really proven yet--not that Mundy may not be better, but he can still spend time on the PS, while we'd have to cut Carter. Depth may be a problem for us with DBs, so I can see them keeping Carter initially, then bringing up Mundy once the inevitable injuries mount.

~I really, really think Kirschke makes the team. This my be his last year, but he played quite well last year, and with the injury potential on our D-line, without Kirschke there's a good chance Hood would have to start at some point. Experienced 3-4 D-linemen are tough to find.

~I like that you have Reilly on the PS. He's a keeper. :)

So . . . maybe I would cut Davis and use the roster spot for T. Carter. Then send Mundy to the PS and use the spot for Kirschke. Although, frankly there's a lot of time still to go till September.

OneForTheToe
05-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Yes, I forgot as well, Tyrone Carter is a lock, IMO. He played well last season when called upon. He is not a great athlete and probably one of the worst tacklers on the D. Still, he seems to know where to be and how to get there. I'd say an important quality for a safety for sure.

Steely McSmash
05-04-2009, 11:38 PM
I actually meant to have 7 DL including Kirschkie on the list per my comments but fiddled with the list before posting it . It's hard to find the roster spot to carry him. I think it would either be the 9th OL guy (Shipley) or perhaps, better, one RB or CB gets bumped and replaced with the punt returner winner. If you look at the SB roster there are only 3 halfbacks and 4 WR on the roster but 8 guys on the DL.

There are a lot of guys in the LB system. I think there is room for a new face that can be a backup at ILB. Fox is the only backup currently listed on the ILB depth charts. Arnold Harrison was injured last year so that's probably a bit of a mark against his chances.

I think Tyrone Carter is history. He's just not that good. Jacksonville playoff game comes to mind. I was watching the Giants game from last year on NFL replay and it just re-inforced my opinion that Clark is a serious impact player and Carter is a liability.

I kept a pure FB because that's what I think the team will do. From BA's comments regarding Summers he's a HB who can fill in at FB.

flxapil
05-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Watch for Andy Schantz to make the team or practice squad! He will surprise a lot of people with his hustle and love of the game...He will be a hard cut to make!!!