PDA

View Full Version : Way to keep us calm, Joe...

revefsreleets
04-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Biden is a blithering idiot. It scares the shit out of me to think that HE'S only a heartbeat away...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090430/pl_nm/us_flu_usa_biden_1

WASHINGTON (Reuters) U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said on Thursday he would tell his family to stay out of airplanes or subways to avoid contracting swine flu, prompting his office to issue a clarification.
Asked on NBC's "Today" show what he would tell members of his family if they asked him whether they should get on a commercial airliner to Mexico in the next week, Biden said:
"I would tell members of my family -- and I have -- I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now."
He said the problem is that "when one person sneezes it goes all the way through the aircraft."
"I would not be, at this point, if they had another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway. So from my perspective, what it relates to is mitigation," he said.
"If you're out in the middle of a field and someone sneezes, that's one thing. If you're in a closed aircraft or a closed container, a closed car, a closed classroom, it's a different thing," he added.
Biden's spokesperson, Elizabeth Alexander, sought to clarify Biden's remarks in a statement issued shortly after his television interview.
"The advice he is giving family members is the same advice the administration is giving to all Americans: that they should avoid unnecessary air travel to and from Mexico," she said.
"If they are sick, they should avoid airplanes and other confined public spaces, such as subways. This is the advice the vice president has given family members who are traveling by commercial airline this week," Alexander said.

SteelersinCA
04-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Biden is a fool, I can't stand that guy, but it only gets worse after him, Pelosi??

I can't think of a single good thing Biden has done since he's been VP. I think BO has it right, keep Joe under the radar.

klick81
04-30-2009, 11:13 AM
So you need Biden to keep you calm now? If his comments throw you into a panic, maybe you should consider your frame of thought before criticizing anyone else.

I found nothing wrong with what he said.

SteelersinCA
04-30-2009, 11:23 AM
So you need Biden to keep you calm now? If his comments throw you into a panic, maybe you should consider your frame of thought before criticizing anyone else.

You mean other than the fact that he's the VP and people might actually listen to him and it could potentially send the nation into a panic?? You're right every one knows not to listen to him anyway. :doh:

Vincent
04-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Biden is a blithering idiot. It scares the shit out of me to think that HE'S only a heartbeat away...

Yes, but thank Heaven we don't have that Palin woman... :chuckle:

Biden is a fool, I can't stand that guy, but it only gets worse after him, Pelosi??

I can't think of a single good thing Biden has done since he's been VP. I think BO has it right, keep Joe under the radar.

Why then, have him on the ticket??? Anybody would have been a better choice.

tony hipchest
04-30-2009, 11:46 AM

I found nothing wrong with what he said.absolutely spot on. this is by far the shittiest panic article posted to date.

in other news... joe biden advised all family members to cook pork to an internal temperature of 165 degrees before eating.

:shout: - PANIC!!!

schools are teaching children to always wash their hands and cover their mouths when sneezing. :jawdrop:

:shout: - PANIC!!!

HometownGal
04-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I can't think of a single good thing Biden has done since he's been VP.

I can't think of anything that Bidrunk has done since taking the VP office other than shout obscenities and bend the elbow. :alcoholic:

fansince'76
04-30-2009, 12:11 PM

If there was "nothing wrong" with what he said, why did somebody see a need to "clarify" his comments? He's as bad as Quayle when it comes to making himself look like an idiot every time he opens his mouth. Let's see, first there was his warning before Obama took office that Obama was going to make mistakes when dealing with critical international issues, then he asked a wheelchair-bound man to stand up, now this. If I were Obama, I'd have had him under a gag order by now.

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm still wondering when we can go from being concerned to being alarmed:

"This is obviously a cause for concern and requires a heightened state of alert," Obama said. "But it's not a cause for alarm."

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2009, 12:39 PM
I wonder what the Surgeon General says about Swine Flu...oh wait...my bad...we don't have one yet...

Fire Haley
04-30-2009, 12:47 PM
I love me some swine

http://media.wspa.com/wspa/images/uploads/swine_flu.jpg

tony hipchest
04-30-2009, 12:54 PM
And The Band Played On

speaking of Quale and the administration he worked with and a do nuthin surgeon general...

i wonder how many lives woulda been saved if someone like VP george h. bush woulda advised gays to strap on a jimmy hat or IV drug users to not share needles. :tap:

And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic is a work of nonfiction written by San Francisco Chronicle journalist Randy Shilts published in 1987. It chronicles the discovery and spread of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) with a special emphasis on government indifference and political infighting — specifically in the United States — to what was initially perceived as a gay disease. The book is an extensive work of investigative journalism, written in the form of an extended time line; the events that shaped the epidemic are presented as sequential matter-of-fact summaries. Shilts describes the impact and the politics involved in battling the disease on particular individuals in the gay, medical, and political communities. It begins in the late 1970s with the then-first confirmed case of AIDS, that of Grethe Rask, a Danish doctor working in Africa. It ends with the announcement by actor Rock Hudson in 1985 that he was dying of AIDS, when international attention on the disease exploded.

The title of the book is a reference to the story about the dance band in the first-class lounge of the RMS Titanic, which kept playing as the ship sank, thereby alluding to the multiple agencies and communities who neglected to prioritize a swift medical response to the crisis. After publication of the book, Shilts explained his use of the title: "And the Band Played On is simply a snappier way of saying 'business as usual'. Everyone responded with an ordinary pace to an extraordinary situation."

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC), responsible for tracking down and reporting all communicable diseases in the U.S., faced governmental apathy in the face of mounting crisis. Shilts reported how CDC epidemiologists forged ahead blindly after being denied funding for researching the disease repeatedly. Shilts expressed particular frustration describing instances of the CDC fighting with itself over how much time and attention was being paid to AIDS issues.[27]

Although Reagan Administration officials like Health and Human Services Secretary Margaret Heckler and Assistant Secretary Edward Brandt spoke publicly about the epidemic, calling it in 1983 its "Number One Health Priority" no extra funding was given to the Centers for Disease Control or the National Institutes of Health for research.[28] What the U.S. Congress pushed through was highly politicized and embattled, and a fraction of what was spent on similar public health problems.[29]

Shilts made comparisons to the government's disparate reaction to the 1982 Chicago Tylenol murders, and the recent emergence of Legionnaire's Disease in 1977. In October 1982, seven people died after ingesting cyanide-laden Tylenol capsules. The New York Times wrote a front-page story about the Tylenol scare every day in October, and produced 33 more stories about the issue after that. More than 100 law enforcement agents, and 1,100 Food and Drug Administration employees worked on the case. Johnson & Johnson disclosed they spent $100 million attempting to uncover who tampered with the bottles. In October 1982, 634 people were reported having AIDS, and of those, 260 had died. The New York Times wrote three stories in 1981 and three more stories in 1982 about AIDS, none on the front page.[30] The Tylenol Crisis was a criminal act of product-tampering; Legionnaire's Disease was a public health emergency. Twenty-nine members of the American Legion died in 1976 at a convention in Philadelphia. The National Institute of Health spent $34,841 per death of Legionnaire's Disease. In contrast, the NIH spent $3,225 in 1981 and about $8,991 in 1982 for each person who died of AIDS.[31]

Shilts accused Ronald Reagan of neglecting to address AIDS to the American people until 1987 — calling his behavior "ritualistic silence" — even after Reagan called friend Rock Hudson to tell him to get well.[32] After Hudson's death and in the face of increasing public anxiety, Reagan directed Surgeon General C. Everett Koop to provide a report on the epidemic. A political conservative, Koop's report was nevertheless clear about what causes AIDS and what people and the U.S. government should do to stop it, including sex and AIDS education provided for all people.[33]

On a civic level, the closure of gay bathhouses in San Francisco became a bitter political fight in the gay community. Activists put pressure on the San Francisco Public Health director to educate people about how AIDS is transmitted, and demanded he close bathhouses as a matter of public health.

fansince'76
04-30-2009, 12:58 PM
I love me some swine

http://media.wspa.com/wspa/images/uploads/swine_flu.jpg

That's wrong, but quite hilarious! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
The spread of HIV and AIDS probably could have been prevented had those folks porking each other in unsafe ways had read Genesis 19:24-25.

Oh wait, I'm not supposed to point that out in this Politically Correct world. My bad.

Carry on.

klick81
04-30-2009, 01:05 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/Eshyn/27K39.jpg

tony hipchest
04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
they once said a black man would be president when pigs fly.

his 1st 100 days and *BAM* swine flu.

:chuckle: its obamas fault!

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2009, 01:20 PM

Ha ha! This is a post to keep forever!

xfl2001fan
04-30-2009, 03:25 PM

ROFLMAO I'm in tears...that was freaking awesome bro!!!!

HometownGal
05-01-2009, 09:28 AM

:rofl::toofunny::laughing:

http://firstfriday.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/biden.jpg

revefsreleets
05-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Wow...Bu...bu...bu....Reagan?

Panic?

I'm merely pointing out what a dope the VP is. The WH had to issue a spin report just a couple hours after his gaffe. Then again, has anyone actually paid any attention to what crazy old Joe has said since September?

I dig the attempts to apologize for him, though...

drewcary
05-01-2009, 05:51 PM
I wonder what the Surgeon General says about Swine Flu...oh wait...my bad...we don't have one yet...

bHo has run out of acquaintances who have paid their taxes?

tony hipchest
05-01-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm merely pointing out what a dope the VP is. The WH had to issue a spin report just a couple hours after his gaffe.

I dig the attempts to apologize for him, though...:rolleyes:

sorry man, but you cant polish this turd you dropped on the board.

gaffes??? apoligies??? REALLY??? :rofl:

the only "spin" i see is coming from you. and it is the expected "right wing spin" which led the whitehouse to lead a pre-emptive strike and beat the evil right media to the punch. you know as well as i, that the only shot in hell the right has in '10' and '12 is to continue playing the "panic" and "blame" card.

biden has a long history of gaffes, but what you are doing by using THIS as an example is pretty much admitting that bush/cheney are blithering idiots and dopes for advising their very own family members to not open suspicious items of mail after the anthrax scare in 01.

:shout:- PANIC!!! :shout:-"theyre gonna shut down the entire postal service!"

keep in mind im just going off your own basic logic and reasoning. its pretty fundamental-

if a = b, and b = c, then a must = c

revefsreleets
05-02-2009, 07:31 AM
So, that's it? More "Bu-bu-bu Bush"?

Biden is the VP of this country. His responsibility is to FOLLOW HIS LEADER. All Obama's good work calming people was undone by that fool Crazy Joe publicly pushing the panic button.

You can't pooh-pooh this one, because it is a MAJOR gaffe. Even the CDC director had to address it, calling it a "Teachable moment".

Fact is, Biden is FEEDING THE FRENZY. The media is making this sound like it's Captain Trips from Steven King's "The Stand" while it's actually probably going to end up being even less of a real threat than SARS. We are in a recession and the message Biden wants to send is "stay home"? At best it's irresponsible, at worst it's ridiculously stupid.

But the left, once again, can only point back and say "But look what Bush did!" (and using the Anthrax argument doesn't wash...the whole country was in a REAL panic back then because nobody knew the depth and breadth of the terrorists capabilities...the flu is, well, it's still just the flu, just like it has been for 10,000 years) and not acknowledge that the second in command of this country is a fool, and maybe even a dangerously inept fool.

T&B fan
05-02-2009, 09:11 AM

thats funny ....:chuckle::chuckle: and yes he should not have said it .

now as for panic let us not forget the terrorist are here and comeing to get us ...