PDA

View Full Version : 404 lbs!

Steelman16
04-30-2009, 10:04 AM
:jawdrop:

From rotoworld:

Mike Williams-T-Redskins Apr. 30 - 10:37 am et

Redskins reclamation project Mike Williams plans to shed 35-40 pounds before the start of OTAs in June.
We'll see if he even gets that far. Williams, signed to a no-risk one-year deal a week ago, currently weighs 404. He's going to be winded at minicamps.

:doh:

xfl2001fan
04-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Mike Williams? That not one of those WR's that Detroit drafted in the first round is it? :chuckle: By the size, I'd guess so.

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2009, 11:24 AM
That guy should be more worried about his long term health and life style over making an NFL Roster.

SteelCityMan786
04-30-2009, 04:01 PM
That guy should be more worried about his long term health and life style over making an NFL Roster.

:iagree: He needs to get his health in order before he sets foot on an NFL Field.

Preacher
04-30-2009, 04:04 PM

Yeah, but I bet he could take up two gaps on our defense! :chuckle:

ShutDown24
04-30-2009, 04:14 PM
You mean the USC Mike Williams? 404? Holy crap! I knew he was overweight but WOW! Move the dude to tackle! Seriously, why hasn't anyone tried to put him at tight end?

devilsdancefloor
04-30-2009, 05:10 PM
You mean the USC Mike Williams? 404? Holy crap! I knew he was overweight but WOW! Move the dude to tackle! Seriously, why hasn't anyone tried to put him at tight end?

Well, the guy in question is Mike Williams, a first-round draft choice of the Buffalo Bills back in 2002. Williams never fully developed as Buffalo hoped, and he's been out of football for two seasons. he went ot texas the same time big snack did lets hope they didnt hit the lunch line at the same time :P

Hapa
04-30-2009, 05:35 PM

I'd rather live to 55 years old and get to play in the NFL then live to 80 and not get to do something that amazing.

AllD
04-30-2009, 06:10 PM
PUP list. Take care of yourself and don't be a slob.

klick81
04-30-2009, 08:08 PM
I'd rather live to 55 years old and get to play in the NFL then live to 80 and not get to do something that amazing.

Umm....no.

ShutDown24
04-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Well, the guy in question is Mike Williams, a first-round draft choice of the Buffalo Bills back in 2002. Williams never fully developed as Buffalo hoped, and he's been out of football for two seasons. he went ot texas the same time big snack did lets hope they didnt hit the lunch line at the same time :P

Sorry, just saw "Mike Williams", got excited, and jumped the gun a little bit haha. :flap:

Thanks for the explaination, I should have looked a little better before being in such awe.

xfl2001fan
04-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Umm....no.

Yes he would...he even said he would. Who are you to tell him otherwise? :flap:

Obviously that's not your take...but when you have 1 life to live...it's your choice to live it in the manner you find most fitting.

I am of a same mind as Hapa on this one. Die young having done something so cool...or die old...(likely with Bowel problems and other types of de-dignifying issues).

The Duke
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
hey, for vet minimum....:chuckle:

we need an eventual replacement for hampton since ziggy sucks anyway :noidea:

xfl2001fan
04-30-2009, 10:45 PM
hey, for vet minimum....:chuckle:

we need an eventual replacement for hampton since ziggy sucks anyway :noidea:

I thought he was an OT though. For vet minimum, he could upgrade that atrocious line of yours...you know, the one that you didn't properly address with every pick in this years draft. :flap:

devilsdancefloor
04-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Sorry, just saw "Mike Williams", got excited, and jumped the gun a little bit haha. :flap:

Thanks for the explaination, I should have looked a little better before being in such awe.

but i scratched my hed for a few min cause i remember that the titians picked up the WR williams and he lost like 40 or 50 lbs but evential ate himself back out of the nfl :flap:

Galax Steeler
05-01-2009, 03:57 AM
I thought he was an OT though. For vet minimum, he could upgrade that atrocious line of yours...you know, the one that you didn't properly address with every pick in this years draft. :flap:

I know what will we ever do.:chuckle:

klick81
05-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Yes he would...he even said he would. Who are you to tell him otherwise? :flap:

Obviously that's not your take...but when you have 1 life to live...it's your choice to live it in the manner you find most fitting.

I am of a same mind as Hapa on this one. Die young having done something so cool...or die old...(likely with Bowel problems and other types of de-dignifying issues).

Meh, I guess I just get more enjoyment out of seeing my loved ones every day. To me, living to see my grandchildren is more important than playing football. :thumbsup:

xfl2001fan
05-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Meh, I guess I just get more enjoyment out of seeing my loved ones every day. To me, living to see my grandchildren is more important than playing football. :thumbsup:
And that's your choice. His choice is to have a great life in a short span. Who knows, maybe he'll get to see his grandchildren. My mom just turned 50 this year, I have 5 kids, one on the way, my two sisters have 3 kids between them...and that doesn't include my step-dad's kids and their kids and their kids too (yes, she is a Great-Grandma at 50.)

Kittyfish
05-02-2009, 07:51 AM
That's an easy statement to make when you're a kid. Ask him again when he's 45 or 50. Of course no one say for sure, but I would bet he'd be singing a different tune then.

xfl2001fan
05-02-2009, 08:11 AM
That's an easy statement to make when you're a kid. Ask him again when he's 45 or 50. Of course no one say for sure, but I would bet he'd be singing a different tune then.

My whole family has that philosophy. I don't care to live until I can't take care of myself. I don't want to live until my bowels work on their own time frame. I would rather die young...than live an undignified existence.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-02-2009, 08:13 AM

William Wallace: Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

Kittyfish
05-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Yes he would...he even said he would. Who are you to tell him otherwise?That's an easy statement to make when you're a kid. Ask him again when he's 45 or 50. Of course no one say for sure, but I would bet he'd be singing a different tune then.My whole family has that philosophy. I don't care to live until I can't take care of myself. I don't want to live until my bowels work on their own time frame. I would rather die young...than live an undignified existence. Apples and oranges. Living past age 55 or so does not equal living an undignified existence.

I seriously doubt the population as a whole starts deteriorating to that point at 55 or 60. My mother is 76 years old and has control of her bowels, and is not undignified in any way. I'm certainly glad she's still around. My great aunt lived to be 96 and was in great shape right up until the end. I myself don't want to outlive my mind or my body, as it were - I think medical science has made a lot of people live a lot longer than God meant for them to live - but I certainly want to live beyond the age of 55! That's only 9 years away! My son will only be 22 years old. I may not be 20 and cute anymore, but I don't believe I am that close to decrepit yet. Though if you had asked me when I was still in my twenties if I would trade living past 55 for fame or a million dollars, I might have thought differently.

My point was that it is easy to say you don't mind doing something that might decrease your lifespan when being age 55 still seems like old age and it will take forever to get here, instead of right around the corner. LIve fast, die young and leave a good-looking corpse sounds good enough when you're 25, but perspectives can change once you get older and have a family of your own.

That said, you may be right in that having this opportunity is worth the eventual cost. I have heard ex-players who live in a lot of pain say that it was worthwhile. Still, living in pain is not exactly being dead. But I stand by my point that it is easier to say something like that at age 20 than age 45.

xfl2001fan
05-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Apples and oranges. No, not really.

I seriously doubt the population as a whole starts deteriorating to that point at 55 or 60. My mother is 76 years old and has control of her bowels, and is not undignified in any way. I'm certainly glad she's still around. My great aunt lived to be 96 and was in great shape right up until the end. That has a lot to do with genetics...So does athletics in general.

I myself don't want to outlive my mind or my body, as it were - I think medical science has made a lot of people live a lot longer than God meant for them to live - What? In which religion does medical science trump God? It's not one I've ever heard of. I am (seriously) interested in continuing this conversation...even if it means opening a new thread on this subject.

but I certainly want to live beyond the age of 55! That's only 9 years away! I may not be 20 and cute anymore, but I don't believe I am that close to decrepit yet. Though if you had asked me when I was still in my twenties if I would trade living past 55 for fame or a million dollars, I might have thought differently. I'm not saying that I want to die at 55/60. I don't think he is either. He's saying if he had a choice between living old and being safe...or playing at the ultimate level of competition and dying young, he'd rather die young and have lived his life in a manner that he finds to be awesome.

I try to get most out of every day and every relationship. Almost everyone I have ever met has told me that I'm an unusually happy/cheerful person. I joke and laugh all the time and try to find the best in every scenario. If the end of my life is at 60, then I'm halfway there right now. I'm cool with that. However, I don't want to outlive my bodies usefulness...and I certainly don't want to outlive my mind.

My point was that it is easy to say you don't mind doing something that might decrease your lifespan when being age 55 still seems like old age and it will take forever to get here, instead of right around the corner. LIve fast, die young and leave a good-looking corpse sounds good enough when you're 25, but perspectives can change once you get older and have a family of your own.

Easier...yes. However, when you're staring down 55 and you look back on your life, many people look back and think about their missed opportunities. That's his point. He wouldn't want to look back and say that he missed out on a great opportunity to play in the NFL if he had the choice. Better to have lived...than to have just walked through each day.

Then again, they may not. But I still say it is easier to say something like that at age 20 than age 45.
Most of the time you are right.

Psyychoward86
05-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Um.......wow. Does he just flail his arms around like a windmill and lean forward to get push when he's playing?

xfl2001fan
05-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Um.......wow. Does he just flail his arms around like a windmill and lean forward to get push when he's playing?

Can he even get into a 3-pt stance? If so, can he get back out of it without falling over and then rolling to stand up?

Psyychoward86
05-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Can he even get into a 3-pt stance? If so, can he get back out of it without falling over and then rolling to stand up?

Maybe they just duct tape a crutch to his chest. There's your "3rd point" :flap:

xfl2001fan
05-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Maybe they just duct tape a crutch to his chest. There's your "3rd point" :flap:

Better that than another body part. That''d be one massive tripod. BLECH!!!

Too much? Did I cross a line yet? :flap:

Kittyfish
05-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Mods, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread. This is about to go way off topic. Sorry!

Looking back, xfl2001fan , I believe we were arguing two separate points. Thank you for explaining yourself further. I don't really think our opinions are that far apart. Maybe your posts just caught me in the throes of a mid-life crisis. :lost: :whistle: :lost:

You seemed to me to be making a connection between being okay at dying at age 55 because you didn't want to live an undignified existence, as if living past that age automatically meant that you had outlived your usefullness, that getting to 60 meant automatic senility. I see now your main point was something else.

I would let it drop, because believe it or not, I really am not a contentious sort. I am actually terribly shy and can't ever seem to say what I want to say, and whatever logic I possess seems to fly out the window when I try to make a point. This is why I don't post very often.

But you seem interested in continuing the conversation, so here we go...

Originally Posted by Kittyfish
I seriously doubt the population as a whole starts deteriorating to that point at 55 or 60. My mother is 76 years old and has control of her bowels, and is not undignified in any way. I'm certainly glad she's still around. My great aunt lived to be 96 and was in great shape right up until the end.
That has a lot to do with genetics...So does athletics in general. Agreed. However, most of the people I have personally known who declined at a relatively early age had external, non-genetic reasons for doing so. My father in law had polio as a child, was an alcoholic, smoked heavily and I don't recall him ever eating any green vegetables. He made it to around age 60, I believe, and was in poor health and non-verbal for a few years beforehand. But then there is my best friend's father when I was a child basically had the same history, except he never had polio and he was extremely overweight, but he lived to be I think 72. Not all that old, but certainly not young. A family friend who lived quite unhealthily died in his sleep in his 50s. My own father - who never did anything to endanger his health - died at age 68 of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) - diagnosed and gone within a year. He was very lucky - most people who have ALS die a lot younger, around my age, I think, and linger on for years and years.

In any case, most everyone I know has lived to a fairly old age and in decent health most of the time, assuming they didn't do much to actively jeopardize themselves. Maybe my circle of acquaintances isn't wide enough, but I simply can't believe that the genetics of the general population are so bad that people start deteriorating at such an early age due to their DNA. I get now that's not really what you were saying, but....

Originally Posted by Kittyfish
I myself don't want to outlive my mind or my body, as it were - I think medical science has made a lot of people live a lot longer than God meant for them to live -

What? In which religion does medical science trump God? It's not one I've ever heard of. I am (seriously) interested in continuing this conversation...even if it means opening a new thread on this subject. Okay, I almost said "Nature" instead of "God", and I guess I should have. I simply meant that strokes, heart attacks and such that used to kill people in days gone by don't in many cases these days. That's not always a bad thing, of course, but medical science has progressed so far that people are living to be 80 or 90 or whatever years old, kept alive by medicine and machines and surgery when they "should" have, and would have, died years earlier in the past. I am NOT arguing that medical advances and interventions are bad things or that such progress and advances shouldn't be explored and implemented in the future. Simply that it is sometimes better to let things take their natural course. It was such a blessing when my husband's grandmother finally passed - she had been quite independent but was in terrible shape for years before her passing, couldn't hardly move, couldn't talk, couldn't take care of herself at all, became as obstinate and troublesome as she could be with her limitations, but the doctors kept her going much longer than I'm thinking she would have preferred. I can't believe life was very rewarding in her last few years.

I don't want to outlive my bodies usefulness...and I certainly don't want to outlive my mind. Neither do I. Who does? Okay, maybe someone, somewhere. Heh. Actually, that is exactly the point I was trying to make above. So many people do seem to outlive their minds or their bodies due to medical intervention, when they probably would have passed earlier without it and spared themselves and their family. Not always, though. My grandmother, the most accomplished woman I have ever known - a concert level pianist, she could type, take shorthand, cook, sew, knit, crochet, tat, garden, do household repairs, you name it. She got Altzheimers and lost it all, became nothing but an empty shell of her former self. She was at the same time healthy as a horse and it was years before her body finally joined her "self", her mind, and she finally passed.

I guess it's all pretty much a crapshoot.

I'm not saying that I want to die at 55/60. I don't think he is either. He's saying if he had a choice between living old and being safe...or playing at the ultimate level of competition and dying young, he'd rather die young and have lived his life in a manner that he finds to be awesome. Okay, I can see that. But I STILL SAY that is easier to say at 20 or even 30 than it is at 45. You do concede that most of the time I am right on that, and I will happily concede that there are exceptions. You appear to be in the military (assuming that is you in your avatar), in which case, 1) thank you for your service :hatsoff: :applaudit:, and 2) you probably prefer to live your life more on the edge than I do, and prefer more adventure and excitement in your life. I do recognize that there are type A personalities who crave challenge and are bigger risk takers than more laid back sorts such as I are (though I myself was much more adventuresome in my younger days. I guess I have more to lose now.). And I assume athletes would fall into this category as well. 'Kay? :drink:

Aaaaaaaaaand, back on topic:
Can he even get into a 3-pt stance? If so, can he get back out of it without falling over and then rolling to stand up? Hee!

xfl2001fan
05-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Mods, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread. This is about to go way off topic. Sorry!

Looking back, xfl2001fan , I believe we were arguing two separate points. Thank you for explaining yourself further. I don't really think our opinions are that far apart. Maybe your posts just caught me in the throes of a mid-life crisis. :lost: :whistle: :lost:
I think I can agree on that...it all comes down to verbage...and when I'm perfect with mine, I'll hold yours against you til the end of time. However, I'm not there yet, so we'll just chalk it up and move on.

I would let it drop, because believe it or not, I really am not a contentious sort. I am actually terribly shy and can't ever seem to say what I want to say, and whatever logic I possess seems to fly out the window when I try to make a point. This is why I don't post very often.You're doing fine...once I get an understanding of your posts, your verbage and the person behind the avatar/screen name, these questions/situations will come less often. I didn't think (for a second) that you were a contentious sort...you have to post far more frequently than that (and they have to be contentious posts) for me to get there.

Agreed. However, most of the people I have personally known who declined at a relatively early age had external, non-genetic reasons for doing so. My father in law had polio as a child, was an alcoholic, smoked heavily and I don't recall him ever eating any green vegetables. He made it to around age 60, I believe, and was in poor health and non-verbal for a few years beforehand. But then there is my best friend's father when I was a child basically had the same history, except he never had polio and he was extremely overweight, but he lived to be I think 72. Not all that old, but certainly not young. A family friend who lived quite unhealthily died in his sleep in his 50s. My own father - who never did anything to endanger his health - died at age 68 of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) - diagnosed and gone within a year. He was very lucky - most people who have ALS die a lot younger, around my age, I think, and linger on for years and years.

I know in my family, we have to contend with: Diabetes, Heart Disease, Asthma, Sever Allergies, Migraines, Cancer and Alzheimer's. In a day and age of fast food, you can expect a sharp rise in the first two...if not all but the last one. My father has the first 5 on that list...and he doesn't smoke, drink, eat fast food, etc...he was leading a healthy life style before them...but shortly after 30, his body started breaking down. He's near 60 now and a shell of his former self (and it's not a very strong shell either.) It's sad...it happens to a lot of people I know in my circle. Maybe we have both just gravitated to a circle of people who we most understand (a natural inclination) and thus, our experiences are drawn from them as well.

I was told at 20 that was going to need knee surgery due to degenerative cartilage. 10 years later, I'm on the same knees, dealing with the same pain, knowing that once I get that surgery, my "playing" days are over.

Okay, I almost said "Nature" instead of "God", and I guess I should have. Got it. An understandable statement.

My grandmother, the most accomplished woman I have ever known - a concert level pianist, she could type, take shorthand, cook, sew, knit, crochet, tat, garden, do household repairs, you name it. She got Altzheimers and lost it all, became nothing but an empty shell of her former self. She was at the same time healthy as a horse and it was years before her body finally joined her "self", her mind, and she finally passed. My grandma is now at that point. She was just diagnose (about 4 months ago) with Alzheimers. Prior to that, she walked to the store every day to buy her groceries (she lived 10 blocks away). Didn't matter the time of year or weather, she just loved to do it. She danced every weekend. Now...sometimes she knows who I am...other times...I'm just a kind stranger.

Okay, I can see that. But I STILL SAY that is easier to say at 20 or even 30 than it is at 45. You do concede that most of the time I am right on that, and I will happily concede that there are exceptions. You appear to be in the military (assuming that is you in your avatar), in which case, 1) thank you for your service :hatsoff: :applaudit:, and 2) you probably prefer to live your life more on the edge than I do, and prefer more adventure and excitement in your life. I do recognize that there are type A personalities who crave challenge and are bigger risk takers than more laid back sorts such as I are (though I myself was much more adventuresome in my younger days. I guess I have more to lose now.). And I assume athletes would fall into this category as well. 'Kay? :drink:

At the end of it all, we find we were much closer to the same page than initially anticipated. Always a good thing. I am in the Military...and while I love doing things that would seem more "on edge" than others...I prefer it to be in a tournament style format...as opposed to actual warfare. (For instance, I'm a combatives instructor. I love the competition...and hope I never have to use it for real.)

Then again, my idea of doing things on edge (outside of competitions) is doing stuff on stage (I suffer from a serious case of stage fright.) Despite being able to talk with small groups well, I hate giving speeches. Unless it's in a sporting event type venue, I don't like being up in front of others giving classes. I force myself to on a regular basis...but it is extremely hard.

steelerdave1969
05-03-2009, 04:40 PM

No doubt in my mind that your right on that one. The guy needs to get his life in shape and do better for himself. I weigh in at just a little over 200 lbs and I feel overweight most of the times.

sixstringlass
05-04-2009, 06:58 AM
http://www.crescentmoondesignstudio.com/board/images/smiles/ttiwwop.gif