PDA

View Full Version : Steelers coach Ray Horton on his DB's

tony hipchest
04-30-2009, 12:42 PM
solomon wilcots is relaying a conversaition he had with the db coach (whom he played with in cinci) down at the superbowl. he has 3 players back there who can be coaches and are coaches on the field. troy, deshea, and clark are so mentally prepared, all 3 can diagnose a play before the ball is snapped based on formation or pesonell grouping and communicate that/ line up the other players (although troy is more quiet).

this is rare and a huge reason for #1 pass defense and rarely allowing a deep ball down the field. definitely a testament to these players and scares me a bit of both clarks and desheas contract being in the final year. our secondary dropped significantly when we lost hope (who was the qb of the defense) and clark was learning his role.

billybob
04-30-2009, 01:34 PM
We have coaches and players ,and players that are coaches . How cool is that ?

Dr. Steel
04-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Keenan Lewis according to the stuff I have read him seems to have the mental make up to diagnose plays. So hopefully Lewis will be one of those coaches on the field when Townsend and Clark are no longer with the Steelers.

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 06:51 PM
solomon wilcots is relaying a conversaition he had with the db coach (whom he played with in cinci) down at the superbowl. he has 3 players back there who can be coaches and are coaches on the field. troy, deshea, and clark are so mentally prepared, all 3 can diagnose a play before the ball is snapped based on formation or pesonell grouping and communicate that/ line up the other players (although troy is more quiet).

this is rare and a huge reason for #1 pass defense and rarely allowing a deep ball down the field. definitely a testament to these players and scares me a bit of both clarks and desheas contract being in the final year. our secondary dropped significantly when we lost hope (who was the qb of the defense) and clark was learning his role.

"The Lethal Weapon" Ryan Clark will resign. He said he loves it in Pittsburgh and thinks he looks pretty good in black and gold...I agree with him. I think Horton is right he has very good experienced players who can make up for what they lack. Deshea isn't that fast but is really smart, Clark isn't the biggest but man can he make you pay for coming over the middle...Just ask Wes Welker. It's a good core unit then you add Ike, William Gay and another veteran...look out.

The Duke
04-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Clark is still faily young, he'll stay. Deshea will be sad to see go. I just hope he retires if he isn't brought back next year....

Funny thing is, I've heard similar things about william gay too. hopefully it's true

and some people think this secondary is a product of the pass rush :rolleyes:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-30-2009, 10:55 PM
I think our team improves this year as a unit. I like our chances to repeat if everyone stays healthy

7willBheaven
05-01-2009, 12:11 AM
"The Lethal Weapon" Ryan Clark will resign. He said he loves it in Pittsburgh and thinks he looks pretty good in black and gold...I agree with him. I think Horton is right he has very good experienced players who can make up for what they lack. Deshea isn't that fast but is really smart, Clark isn't the biggest but man can he make you pay for coming over the middle...Just ask Wes Welker. It's a good core unit then you add Ike, William Gay and another veteran...look out.

I reeeeaaalllly hope he does resign. I doubt he'll demand big bucks and all, and he isnt THAT old either. Hes a great player and a GREAT person of the field....not sure if any of you have been to training camp the last few years and hung around where they do the autographs...you'll know what i mean about Ryan...he hangs around forever afterwards...talking with people...having fun...giving out his stuff to fans (shoes, shorts, gloves, you name it)....

tony hipchest
05-01-2009, 12:21 AM
"The Lethal Weapon" Ryan Clark will resign. He said he loves it in Pittsburgh and thinks he looks pretty good in black and gold...I agree with him.b-mac said the exact same thing, and i, in turn, said the exact same thing about him last season.

we all know how that turned out. :noidea:

perhaps the reason mcfadden was allowed to walk, while we still keep the likes of deshea, was while he always had the physical tools, he never grasped the mental part (see anthony smith).

:hunch:

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 01:41 PM
I reeeeaaalllly hope he does resign. I doubt he'll demand big bucks and all, and he isnt THAT old either. Hes a great player and a GREAT person of the field....not sure if any of you have been to training camp the last few years and hung around where they do the autographs...you'll know what i mean about Ryan...he hangs around forever afterwards...talking with people...having fun...giving out his stuff to fans (shoes, shorts, gloves, you name it)....

I was up there one year when he made like four trips into the locker room and back out to sign stuff for the fans...he is a great person, a great Steeler, and one malicious hitter.

revefsreleets
05-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Knew Troy and Clark were heady guys, but not about Deshea...

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Deshea is pretty cool I've meant him twice, not any where near as cool as Ryan.