PDA

View Full Version : Pgh quietly assembled strong WR unit

thumper
04-30-2009, 01:44 PM
In what looked like a thin unit after Nate leaving, the Steelers actually have a stacked group of players at WR with a lot of potential.

Hines Ward - re-signed. Getting old, but is a stellar football player and sets the tone with his big plays and blocks. Any football team would love to have this guy.

Holmes - After a shaky start and mid 2008 season, he came on like gang busters in the post season including Super Bowl MVP performance. He has matured and emerged as the big play maker he was thought to be coming out of OSU.

Sweed - Sucked as a rookie. News flash: All rookie WRs suck except for Moss and Harrison. Everyone else stinks as a rookie, so there is still plenty of hope that Sweed can produce. He did show he can get behind CBs, now if he can only catch. All signs point towards him being fired up to become a quality player. I bet my 2 bucks he pans out just fine.

That's the obvious, now what is the rest of the story

Shaun McDonald - Had 79 catches in 2007on a super crap Detroit team. Only had 35 grabs last year but we are talking about a 0-16 team here. He has plenty of talent and will really shine on a good team with a good QB. This guy makes the rookies merely icing on the cake, if they actually do anything as rookies (which is highly unlikely).

Mike Wallace - A burner. Won't likely get many passes thrown his way, or even be on the field much as a WR, but will get the chance to fill the return spot, which Pgh is in serious need. 4.3 speed will be a welcome site.

I believe out top 4 WRs will prove to be among the best WR units in the NFL. Who woulda thought that midway through last season, where Pgh looked kind of weak at the position, with Holmes looking like crap, Nate dropping balls, and then considering that we lost Nate.

X-Terminator
04-30-2009, 02:12 PM
:jawdrop:

I can't believe you just typed that post. I mean, it's all...positive and stuff. No whining whatsoever.

Someone else is using your account - that has to be it!

thumper
04-30-2009, 02:19 PM

I can't believe you just typed that post. I mean, it's all...positive and stuff. No whining whatsoever.

Don't assume....you know what they say about that. Pigeon-holing is assuming.

Kaeg
04-30-2009, 05:34 PM

:laughing: I gotta admit: I was kinda thinking a little that way too. (Sorry)

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2009, 06:11 PM
No surprises here. WR is the least important position on a football team, but we already had Ward, Holmes, Sweed.

Somehow adding average players like McDonald, Nance and a rookie Wallace suddenly calms those who thought the sky is falling.

Where is the pic of that cat?? :noidea:

AllD
04-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Not to mention Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth. Lots of people to throw at. OL coming back as a unit.

If we stay healthy we should be favored to repeat.

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 06:46 PM
I think it is a pretty good unit but lets be honest here, realistically after your first three receivers it's cake.

Think of it this way, on any given play Ben will have Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Miller or Spaeth, Parker or Moore to throw to and occasionally there will be Mendenhall and McHugh.

The fourth or fifth reciever becomes that less important. You could put Bryan Clark there and it would be cake...who is that you are wondering? EXACTLY....cake.

To be serious they look good. You add McDonald and Wallace and you forget people like Nate whats his name...

msafford
04-30-2009, 07:41 PM
No surprises here. WR is the least important position on a football team, but we already had Ward, Holmes, Sweed.

Somehow adding average players like McDonald, Nance and a rookie Wallace suddenly calms those who thought the sky is falling.

http://pic70.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1850/7714131/14576471/330295574.jpg

Is this what you wanted? :chuckle:

ShutDown24
04-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Ward is Ward.

Holmes has been a little inconsistent but we all know what he is capable of.

Sweed still has the upside.

McDonald is better than people give him credit for.

Wallace (In my opinion) is going to turn into an excellent wide out. He'll obviously need to develop first though.

All in all I think we have a very good group of receivers, not great. However, I think this group has potential to be great if everything falls right.

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
04-30-2009, 08:11 PM
In what looked like a thin unit after Nate leaving, the Steelers actually have a stacked group of players at WR with a lot of potential.

Hines Ward - re-signed. Getting old, but is a stellar football player and sets the tone with his big plays and blocks. Any football team would love to have this guy.

Holmes - After a shaky start and mid 2008 season, he came on like gang busters in the post season including Super Bowl MVP performance. He has matured and emerged as the big play maker he was thought to be coming out of OSU.

Sweed - Sucked as a rookie. News flash: All rookie WRs suck except for Moss and Harrison. Everyone else stinks as a rookie, so there is still plenty of hope that Sweed can produce. He did show he can get behind CBs, now if he can only catch. All signs point towards him being fired up to become a quality player. I bet my 2 bucks he pans out just fine.

That's the obvious, now what is the rest of the story

Shaun McDonald - Had 79 catches in 2007on a super crap Detroit team. Only had 35 grabs last year but we are talking about a 0-16 team here. He has plenty of talent and will really shine on a good team with a good QB. This guy makes the rookies merely icing on the cake, if they actually do anything as rookies (which is highly unlikely).

Mike Wallace - A burner. Won't likely get many passes thrown his way, or even be on the field much as a WR, but will get the chance to fill the return spot, which Pgh is in serious need. 4.3 speed will be a welcome site.

I believe out top 4 WRs will prove to be among the best WR units in the NFL. Who woulda thought that midway through last season, where Pgh looked kind of weak at the position, with Holmes looking like crap, Nate dropping balls, and then considering that we lost Nate.

Excellent point - and one that is ignored too often here. Sooooooooo many people call Sweed a bust - but remember, Lynn Swann had 11 catches his rookie year, John Stallworth had 16.

Carolina's Steve Smith had 10, T.O. had 35 catches with Steve Young as his QB, and even Jerry Rice had only 49, with Joe Montana passing the rock to him...

Let's give Sweed a chance... he has the skills, IMHO, to be special.

MDSteel15
04-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Any one want to bet McDonald is our #3 before the season starts!

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 08:34 PM
He might make a push for it...but I think Sweed will win out. There won't be as much pressure and after a pretty bad rookie campaign he can only go up...lets hope.

Vincent
04-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Excellent point - and one that is ignored too often here. Sooooooooo many people call Sweed a bust - but remember, Lynn Swann had 11 catches his rookie year, John Stallworth had 16.

Carolina's Steve Smith had 10, T.O. had 35 catches with Steve Young as his QB, and even Jerry Rice had only 49, with Joe Montana passing the rock to him...

Let's give Sweed a chance... he has the skills, IMHO, to be special.

Oh hail yay-yuh!! Plus, he's motivated. I do indeed look forward to the breakout.

Watch the video from the 70s. This, what we have here, is an extraordinary group of talent. This offense has the potential to be daunting.

I don't ever see a better defense that the 76 Steelers, and over the 6 years they were unsurpassed. But I think we have a group that can equal the overall team records in the next few years (read: a few more rings).

The Lakelander
04-30-2009, 08:42 PM

:laughing: Right on!

BlastFurnace
04-30-2009, 08:43 PM
We typically keep 5 receivers. Looking at them: Ward, Holmes, Sweed, McDonald, Wallace, Nance, Baker...the top 5 could be a nice group.

Barring injury, I think it's obvious that Baker will be gone. I think we know the 4 that absolutely won't be cut.

It will come down to Nance vs. McDonald for the final receiver spot. I wouldn't count Nance out.

MDSteel15
04-30-2009, 08:46 PM
We typically keep 5 receivers. Looking at them: Ward, Holmes, Sweed, McDonald, Wallace, Nance, Baker...the top 5 could be a nice group.

Barring injury, I think it's obvious that Baker will be gone. I think we know the 4 that absolutely won't be cut.

It will come down to Nance vs. McDonald for the final receiver spot. I wouldn't count Nance out.

McDonald will win out over Nance and Baker. Hopefully the 2 can make it to the practice squad....

The Lakelander
04-30-2009, 08:59 PM
We typically keep 5 receivers. Looking at them: Ward, Holmes, Sweed, McDonald, Wallace, Nance, Baker...

... Grisham, Goodman, Black!

You left these guys off.

Psyychoward86
04-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Stupid question. What's pgh?

Galax Steeler
05-01-2009, 03:27 AM
Stupid question. What's pgh?

I think he is trying to say Pittsburgh.:thumbsup:

thumper
05-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Not to mention Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth. Lots of people to throw at. OL coming back as a unit.

If we stay healthy we should be favored to repeat.

I don't think so. If NE gets all their parts working, they will be - and are - favored. Speaking of a good WR unit - theirs is insane

revefsreleets
05-01-2009, 01:04 PM

Huh? Least important position?

Where did you get THAT from? If you go by salary, which is a pretty good way to go, given that the market determines value, you'd find that RB's, Safeties, K/P's, and TE's make less on average than WR's. I might also argue that interior lineman on both sides of the ball (excepting centers) are less important.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0807/nfl.average.salaries.by.position/content.1.html

thumper
05-01-2009, 01:09 PM
With rookie WRs, you should just throw away their stats. Even the greatest WRs usually do jack shite as rookies. Sweed could still become very good; he has the athletic ability and this year he will know how he needs to approach it.

Steel Head
05-01-2009, 01:12 PM
WR is the least important position on a football team,

WTF?

I think the SB proved how important having a go to receiver is, Holmes and Fitzgerald were the biggest players in that game

STEELAMANIA
05-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Sweed will be SB 44 MVP.

fansince'76
05-01-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't think so. If NE gets all their parts working, they will be - and are - favored. Speaking of a good WR unit - theirs is insane

When was the last time they won a SB? 2004-05? And we've won two since then and are the defending champs. But you're right, the media seems to think it's perpetually 2004 and favors them every year regardless. I hope it pisses our players off and they play with a chip on their shoulder all year.

thumper
05-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Any one want to bet McDonald is our #3 before the season starts!

I think McDonald will deserve the 3 spot - whether or not he gets it (regimes are anxious to prove their picks were smart, hence high draft picks get the nod to play over others) will be another thing. He is probably better suited as the 3 than is Sweed. Sweed is better suited as a 2 or, eventually, a 1 - but he won't be making Ward or Holmes sit....yet.

STEELAMANIA
05-01-2009, 01:24 PM
NE's defense has more holes than swiss cheese and their LBs are as slow as syrup......they're gonna have a hard time trying to outscore teams with their "defense".

Steel Head
05-01-2009, 01:42 PM
NE's defense has more holes than swiss cheese and their LBs are as slow as syrup......they're gonna have a hard time trying to outscore teams with their "defense".

Well they did just draft several good defensive players

The big thing is they can't cheat anymore to gain unfair advantages which lead to their 3 tainted SB wins

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I think that WR is probably the least important position...at least for Pittsburgh. We need a smart QB, great blockers, runners and awesome D. I think that building a huge WR core isn't as important.

thumper
05-01-2009, 02:04 PM
I think that WR is probably the least important position...at least for Pittsburgh. We need a smart QB, great blockers, runners and awesome D. I think that building a huge WR core isn't as important.

It's all important. If you have ANY weak link on your team you won't win a championship. Or, it's not very likely. Don't forget all those Cowher teams that had top shelf Ds, great rushing games...and failed when it came to the post season. You must be able to pass the ball - and that takes good WRs - if you are going to win rings.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 02:39 PM
WTF?

I think the SB proved how important having a go to receiver is, Holmes and Fitzgerald were the biggest players in that game

My point is that so many things have to happen before the WR can get the football, that having a solid WR the last thing you need. The O line needs to block, the QB needs to make a good read, then a good throw ...................and finally the WR has to run a good pattern and make the catch.

A "goto WR"(ie. Plaxico Burress) cant catch the football if his crappy QB (ie. Kordell Stewart or Tommy Maddox) cant get him the football.

Likewise, a good QB can make average WR's have great seasons (Dan Marino-Duper/Clayton,.......Brett Favre- Antonio Freeman, Donald Driver........Kurt Warner- Az Hakim, Steve Breaston)

When the Steelers already have Ward, Holmes and 2nd round pick Sweed...they could almost throw out Preacher, Tony Hipchest and Steelreserve into the WR mix and "assmble a strong WR unit". :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 02:51 PM
It's all important. If you have ANY weak link on your team you won't win a championship. Or, it's not very likely. Don't forget all those Cowher teams that had top shelf Ds, great rushing games...and failed when it came to the post season. You must be able to pass the ball - and that takes good WRs - if you are going to win rings.

So the Steelers had no weak links last year??? 90% of the season everybody said the line was the weak link.

Yes, good WR's, not great. Randle El is good, but what's he doing now without a decent QB?? Alvin Harper was super bowl MVP, and what did he do after leaving the Cowboys?? Redskins won with Alvin Garrett, Gary Clark, Art Monk. Only Monk was a great one.

The Giants won the Super Bowl in 1990 with Mark Ingram, Steven Baker and Phil McConkey at WR.......but Phil Simms went 22 of 25 in that game to those WR's. I would suggest that a good blocking O line, solid running game and a good QB CAN win with average WR's.

Oh..........and they had a pretty good defense too. :wink:

Steelman16
05-01-2009, 02:52 PM
When the Steelers already have Ward, Holmes and 2nd round pick Sweed...they could almost throw out Preacher, Tony Hipchest and Steelreserve into the WR mix and "assmble a strong WR unit". :chuckle:

Hipcheese has already been practicing his touchdown celebration. :laughing:

Fire Haley
05-01-2009, 02:55 PM
WR is the least important position on a football team

ha ha!

http://www.footblog.com/images/santonio_holmes_rpphotos014901-MFSB18-superbowl.jpg

Steelman16
05-01-2009, 03:05 PM
HA!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/02/01/article-1133684-034435D2000005DC-935_468x336.jpg

:flap:

Steel Head
05-01-2009, 03:07 PM
HA!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/02/01/article-1133684-034435D2000005DC-935_468x336.jpg

:flap:

everyone knows that QB is the most important position

to say that WR is the least important position is idiotic

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 05:26 PM
to say that WR is the least important position is idiotic

Please tell me another position where you can perform your primary function as a football player, only 5 plays per game and be judged as outstanding at that position. (5 receptions x 16 games =80 receptions)?

Maybe a FB in our offense makes less than 5 blocks per game? Otherwise, QB, RB, CB, LB, O-line, D-line, Safety are all more important to a football team than a guy that spends 40 plays a game, running around not catching the football.

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 07:01 PM

Our rushing game was worse in the league the final 3 regular season games, all the playoffs, and the Super Bowl. Weak links don't always mean you don't win championships.

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 07:03 PM
So the Steelers had no weak links last year??? 90% of the season everybody said the line was the weak link.

Yes, good WR's, not great. Randle El is good, but what's he doing now without a decent QB?? Alvin Harper was super bowl MVP, and what did he do after leaving the Cowboys?? Redskins won with Alvin Garrett, Gary Clark, Art Monk. Only Monk was a great one.

The Giants won the Super Bowl in 1990 with Mark Ingram, Steven Baker and Phil McConkey at WR.......but Phil Simms went 22 of 25 in that game to those WR's. I would suggest that a good blocking O line, solid running game and a good QB CAN win with average WR's.

Oh..........and they had a pretty good defense too. :wink:

Awesome point. You don't have to have superstars just good players on the other end.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Awesome point. You don't have to have superstars just good players on the other end.

I agree. I never said WR's cant be valuable, but that it is the least valuable position on the team.

When Parcells is rebuilding a team like the Dolphins, he works on the guys up front on the lines, a solid QB and then adds playmakers at WR. Its why they did OK with Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo. Same with the Falcons...they draft Matt Ryan and a guy to protect him in Sam Baker and suddenly their lousy receivers are good.

I like the core we had in Ward, Holmes, Sweed. Now adding McDonald, Nance and Wallace to the mix, it gives a nice mix of speed, experience and youth.

55BaileyFan
05-01-2009, 08:11 PM
I agree. I never said WR's cant be valuable, but that it is the least valuable position on the team.

When Parcells is rebuilding a team like the Dolphins, he works on the guys up front on the lines, a solid QB and then adds playmakers at WR. Its why they did OK with Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo. Same with the Falcons...they draft Matt Ryan and a guy to protect him in Sam Baker and suddenly their lousy receivers are good.

I like the core we had in Ward, Holmes, Sweed. Now adding McDonald, Nance and Wallace to the mix, it gives a nice mix of speed, experience and youth.

Good point.

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
05-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Please tell me another position where you can perform your primary function as a football player, only 5 plays per game and be judged as outstanding at that position. (5 receptions x 16 games =80 receptions)?

Maybe a FB in our offense makes less than 5 blocks per game? Otherwise, QB, RB, CB, LB, O-line, D-line, Safety are all more important to a football team than a guy that spends 40 plays a game, running around not catching the football.

Even if a WR is only involved in 5 plays... what if those 5 plays are hugely significant? Hines Ward had 5 receptions in SB40 - and won MVP, because they were game changing. Holmes had 4 catches for 71 yards in the final drive in SB43.

A limited number of touches, but vital to the game...

Steelman16
05-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Even if a WR is only involved in 5 plays... what if those 5 plays are hugely significant? Hines Ward had 5 receptions in SB40 - and won MVP, because they were game changing. Holmes had 4 catches for 71 yards in the final drive in SB43.

A limited number of touches, but vital to the game...

Yeah, but if you don't have a line that gets the right blocks off, and a quarterback who can make the correct read, it really doesn't matter who's on the other side catching the ball.

And if you have those two, it still really doesn't matter who's on the other side catching the ball.

Steeldude
05-02-2009, 12:11 AM

i agree. i am more worried about how much time BR will have to throw to these WRs. hopefully another year together will create some great chemistry. stapleton needs to get stronger. perhaps urbik will takeover in the middle of the season. kemo needs to learn how to use his brain more than brawn.

the two concerns i had with going into last season were the O-line and the D-line. the D-line really surprised me, but they need to start injecting some youth. hood is a good start.

revefsreleets
05-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Bottom line, there is no evidence to support the statement that WR is the least valuable position on the team. Salaries don't bear that out. It's a marquee position, "skill position" and a game changing position.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Bottom line, there is no evidence to support the statement that WR is the least valuable position on the team. Salaries don't bear that out. It's a marquee position, "skill position" and a game changing position.
:applaudit: Congratulations......you summarized it best that the statement is only MY OPINION (but possibly that too of NFL GM's that build their teams from the Linemen-out).

Psyychoward86
05-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Sweed will be SB 44 MVP.

Walk before you run dude. Let's take babysteps before blatantly proclaiming ourselves King of the Hill. We arent defending our Superbowl Title. When Week one comes, everyone's gunning for it with a fresh start.

fansince'76
05-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Sweed will be SB 44 MVP.

SWEEEEEEEEEED! :chuckle:

revefsreleets
05-02-2009, 04:23 PM
:applaudit: Congratulations......you summarized it best that the statement is only MY OPINION (but possibly that too of NFL GM's that build their teams from the Linemen-out).

That's not my problem or my issue.

I take umbrage with the uber superior air with which you utter these kinds of nonsensical statements. There's no "IMO" or "I think", you just make declarations as if they are absolute fact because you said them.