PDA

View Full Version : Will Willie Parker Be Brought Back After Next Year?

Rek
04-30-2009, 03:07 PM
I love Willie Parker. He's my favorite player (I prefer speed backs to power backs) but his 4-year deal signed back in '06 is going to be up soon. I still think he has the power, speed, and heart to stay a starter for the Steelers. I hope with all the free agents that there are going to be that FWP reaches a good contract and doesn't try to shop around. After all, Pittsburgh was the only team that gave him a chance as a undrafted RB. Last year, he had almost 800 yards rushing, and that was even with him missing FIVE games, clearly he could have gone well over 1,000.

What are all y'all thoughts? Think there is enough salary cap room for ol' FWP or will he be tempted by the teams that would throw money at him to be s starter?

Steelerfreak58
04-30-2009, 03:11 PM
If he misses more then 3 games from injury and doesn't have a productive year I think we see him go the way of the dodo.

Steel Head
04-30-2009, 03:16 PM
What does "Be Brought" mean? :noidea:

steelreserve
04-30-2009, 03:18 PM
I never thought he had the power, speed or heart to be a Steeler in the first place. Well, maybe the speed, but he doesn't really use any speed when he's dancing around in the backfield failing to fool any defenders.

As far as I'm concerned, cut him now. He's a one-trick pony, and teams don't respect our running game because of it.

X-Terminator
04-30-2009, 03:24 PM
No. And if Mendenhall develops like they hope, this season may be his last in a Steeler uniform.

aclark99
04-30-2009, 03:25 PM
when willie is doing great everyone got on his bandwagon. fwp was a key member that brought us a super bowl title in 05. now all of a sudden we need to cut him. fwp will be with the steelers until he hangs up the cleats. fwp had an off year last year look for him to be on his game this season.

Edman
04-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Willie is gone no matter what he does after 2009. Approaching 30, we've already drafted Mendenhall and Summers, and we have Moore, who can run and catch.

Willie's had a fine time here, but his days are numbered. Especially if he has another injury plagued season or if Mendenhall develops and explodes.

steelreserve
04-30-2009, 03:33 PM
when willie is doing great everyone got on his bandwagon. fwp was a key member that brought us a super bowl title in 05. now all of a sudden we need to cut him. fwp will be with the steelers until he hangs up the cleats. fwp had an off year last year look for him to be on his game this season.

Are you kidding? Parker got like 30 yards a game in the playoffs in 05; we wouldn't have gone anywhere if it wasn't for Bus and Ben. Most of his yards in his entire career have come against shitty teams, and very few in big games when we need it.

Let's face it, Parker had two good years for us in terms of total season yardage only, and that's the extent of it. Even when he was "on his game," our offense had problems because good teams could shut down our rushing attack whenever they chose to do so. As soon as he's gone, you will see a marked improvement in the offense as a whole. Basically, we've always needed to cut him. It's just a shame it's taken so long for events to finally make that a possibility.

steeltheone
04-30-2009, 03:33 PM
If Mendy flops then we may have no choice but to work something out. Otherwise he is gone.

fansince'76
04-30-2009, 03:39 PM
What does "Be Brought" mean? :noidea:

I think he meant "be brought back," and I changed the title of the thread to reflect it.

And I have to go with Edman, I think Parker's history after next season, regardless.

Steel-Bryan
04-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Come on you guys, he had ONE bad season. Every other year he had 100+ yards. Do you really forget the good he has done that easily ?

The Lakelander
04-30-2009, 03:58 PM

:tt02:

Fast Willie!

Shoot pool Fast Willie!

:chuckle:

This guy is a Steeler!

:wave:

Who cares about next year!

Worry about this year! :popcorn:

Rek
04-30-2009, 04:39 PM
I never thought he had the power, speed or heart to be a Steeler in the first place. Well, maybe the speed, but he doesn't really use any speed when he's dancing around in the backfield failing to fool any defenders.

As far as I'm concerned, cut him now. He's a one-trick pony, and teams don't respect our running game because of it.

That has nothing to do with the O-line not providing holes, right? :coffee:

Rek
04-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Are we really going to base our whole running attack on a starter who is a glorified back-up at best (Moore)? I love Mendenhall, but Christ he can't do it by himself, hell he's yet to carry a game himself. I say let FWP be the starter so Mendy has someone to look up to. Speed and power both, now that is a combination...

steelreserve
04-30-2009, 04:43 PM
That has nothing to do with the O-line not providing holes, right? :coffee:

It doesn't, actually. He had the same exact problem when the O-Line was good.

Ever notice how as soon as we went to Parker as the only RB, with the same offensive line, our sacks doubled? I did. It's because nobody respected the running game anymore.

fansince'76
04-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Ever notice how as soon as we went to Parker as the only RB, with the same offensive line, our sacks doubled? I did. It's because nobody respected the running game anymore.

Yep, had nothing to do with the fact that Ben's pass attempts almost doubled between 2005 (269 attempts) and 2006 (469 attempts), 2007 (404 attempts) and 2008 (469 attempts). It was all Willie's fault, 'cause he sucks. :coffee:

Jooser
04-30-2009, 05:10 PM
I think it's all going to revolve around Mendy's development this year. Until I see some decent running out of him, I won't make any assumptions on FWP's future here....

Preacher
04-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Yep, had nothing to do with the fact that Ben's pass attempts almost doubled between 2005 (269 attempts) and 2006 (469 attempts), 2007 (404 attempts) and 2008 (469 attempts). It was all Willie's fault, 'cause he sucks. :coffee:

:laughing:

There you go using logic again!!

If Willie has a good year, he will come back. However, if he is looking for a big contract, or if this year is injury prone or non-productive, he won't be brought back.

I hope he is. Personally, IMO his speed opened up quite a bit of the offense, almost as much as Ben's passing. 9 men in a box no longer worked because Willlie could bounce it to the outside. it also didn't work because one hole and Willie was gone, and wouldn't be caught.

Teams had to keep some more guys out of the box, even on running plays because of it. That allows for better PA's (catching guys moving the wrong way) and underneath passes to TE's.

ShutDown24
04-30-2009, 05:17 PM
I really like Willie too, and numbers don't lie. He can play despite all the people who disparage him. But, I think Mendenhall comes out of this season as the unquestioned starter. Unfortunately, I think Parker's time as a Steeler is coming to an end.

steelreserve
04-30-2009, 05:22 PM

I know, huh? Too bad Ben missed a quarter of the season in 2005. We actually had closer to 380 pass attempts that year, just a lot of them were thrown by Maddox and Batch. So no, we weren't throwing the ball twice as much.

Also, wouldn't it kind of make sense for us to run the ball more often in 2005, when we had a more effective running game? And a running game that put us in third-and-short more often than third-and-long?

Aha. Now you're getting it.

Sharkissle29
04-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Are you kidding? Parker got like 30 yards a game in the playoffs in 05; we wouldn't have gone anywhere if it wasn't for Bus and Ben. Most of his yards in his entire career have come against shitty teams, and very few in big games when we need it.

Let's face it, Parker had two good years for us in terms of total season yardage only, and that's the extent of it. Even when he was "on his game," our offense had problems because good teams could shut down our rushing attack whenever they chose to do so. As soon as he's gone, you will see a marked improvement in the offense as a whole. Basically, we've always needed to cut him. It's just a shame it's taken so long for events to finally make that a possibility.

yea 30 yards a game in the 05 playoffs...

is someone forgetting the longest run in super bowl history?

75 yard TD son...

ShutDown24
04-30-2009, 05:24 PM
I know, huh? Too bad Ben missed a quarter of the season in 2005. We actually had closer to 380 pass attempts that year, just a lot of them were thrown by Maddox and Batch. So no, we weren't throwing the ball twice as much.

Also, wouldn't it kind of make sense for us to run the ball more often in 2005, when we had a more effective running game? And a running game that put us in third-and-short more often than third-and-long?

When healthy, Willie Parker goes well over 1,000 yards. BS all you want there is no arguing that. He can play, whether you like it or not. And we all know - you don't.

fansince'76
04-30-2009, 05:39 PM

You mean as opposed to 2006 when we were habitually getting behind by 10-14+ points early in games, forcing us to abandon the running game more often than not (yet Willie still went for 1494 yards with 13 TDs on the ground and 3 TDs receiving) due to a HC who had already checked out mentally and most of the team taking a season-long post-Super Bowl vacation and having their heads up their asses? Or as opposed to 2007 on, when our coaching staff and entire philosophy on offense changed?

Preacher
04-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Amazing, because I remember in 2005 when it WASNT the running game that put us in third and short, but the PASSING GAME. Then we would run or pass for the first down. Once we got up but that magic number (11 I beleive it was) we would then play Cowher's version of Marty-ball and run, run, run.

From that season, you can conclude that it is very important to have a high impact passing game and a run game that can take advantage of open fields (Willie Parker anyone?) AND then have a big back that can close out games.

I am constantly amazed how many people ignore the fact that big back run first offenses has only gotten us to, or won ONE Superbowl, that would be SB IX. Since that time, it has been a balanced attack. In today's league, with some LINEMAN that can run low 5's and high 4's in the 40, we need speed in this league.

Kaeg
04-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Whew! Quite the controversial subject, I see. I, for one, always liked FWP. Although I was losing a bit of faith in him lately, I'm hoping that between him getting healthy, and possibly a one-two (or three) punch with him and Mendy (and maybe Frank the Tank), we can have a great run game this year. However, I still feel his time in a Steeler uniform is winding down. Maybe a great year by him this year will change that.

Blitzburgh_Fever
04-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Prior to the Charger's game this year, I would've been all for it.

But remember, the defense, Parker, Holmes' return, and the OL basically carried us through that game without asking much at all from the passing game. I don't think he lasts after next year, and if Mendy blows up even this year. But don't try and skew the guy's numbers in an effort to play pre-emptive "I told ya so".

You're telling me he's not a Top 10 RB? I almost guarantee there're at least 22 teams that would like to have him on their roster.

steelreserve
04-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Amazing, because I remember in 2005 when it WASNT the running game that put us in third and short, but the PASSING GAME. Then we would run or pass for the first down. Once we got up but that magic number (11 I beleive it was) we would then play Cowher's version of Marty-ball and run, run, run.

From that season, you can conclude that it is very important to have a high impact passing game and a run game that can take advantage of open fields (Willie Parker anyone?) AND then have a big back that can close out games.

I am constantly amazed how many people ignore the fact that big back run first offenses has only gotten us to, or won ONE Superbowl, that would be SB IX. Since that time, it has been a balanced attack. In today's league, with some LINEMAN that can run low 5's and high 4's in the 40, we need speed in this league.

That's kind of my whole point, is that with Parker as the only running back, we don't have a balanced attack. We're missing power, and other teams jump on that unless they're too incompetent to stop the running game regardless.

As our offensive line has gotten steadily worse over the past 3 years, the threshold for being too incompetent to stop our running game regardless has shifted, the result being that a lot more opponents can stop it when they need to. Now if we had another dimension to our running game ... hmm ... we'd be more balanced and harder to stop.

As I've said many times before, if we ever figured out how to use a second back correctly to get a balance of power and speed -- even if we kept Parker in the mix -- I'd be all for it. But we haven't gotten that right since 2005. All we know how to do is grind with the starter relentlessly, and then bring in specialty backs once in a while, usually in obvious situations that telegraph our intentions. As long as we stick with that philosophy, we need a complete back, and Parker is going to hurt the offense because he's not one. For that matter, Moore would hurt us too, but in other, slightly less painful ways. Man, I hope Mendenhall really does have power and speed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2009, 07:05 PM
I said it last year. Drafting Mendenhall means that in 2010 Mendenhall will be the feature RB, Moore will be the 3rd down back and the Steelers will draft another RB to pick up some carries too(Frank Summers).

in 2010, 30 year old Willie Parker will most likely not be a Steeler. IMO.

Rek
04-30-2009, 07:36 PM
I said it last year. Drafting Mendenhall means that in 2010 Mendenhall will be the feature RB, Moore will be the 3rd down back and the Steelers will draft another RB to pick up some carries too(Frank Summers).

in 2010, 30 year old Willie Parker will most likely not be a Steeler. IMO.

Hope your wrong. I think it's just the mentality some people have. When Parker was putting up 1000+ seasons, everybody loved the guy, but if he doesn't hit a homerun every game, people call him a has-been. Yes, he's a speedback, but he's also a RUNNING BACK, it's not his job to get 10-20 yards per carry or bounce it to the sideline every rush. That is when the team gets one-dimensional.

HometownGal
04-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Hard to say at this point. If he can stay healthy and can revert back to the FWP we all know and love (with some help from our OL), I don't see why not. It's also going to depend on how well Mendy does.

steelreserve
04-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Hope your wrong. I think it's just the mentality some people have. When Parker was putting up 1000+ seasons, everybody loved the guy, but if he doesn't hit a homerun every game, people call him a has-been. Yes, he's a speedback, but he's also a RUNNING BACK, it's not his job to get 10-20 yards per carry or bounce it to the sideline every rush. That is when the team gets one-dimensional.

Hey, not me! I hated him even then. So at least no one can accuse me of being inconsistent. :chuckle:

Anyway, I know everyone's well aware of my stance on Parker and we could go on and on about this ... so since it's the offseason and there's not really any new information coming in about him (i.e. game performances), I'm going to voluntarily take a break from bitching about Parker for a week or two in the interest of keeping things calm.

I mean, except maybe for spot duty here and there if there's a good reason.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2009, 08:05 PM

I just think that its very rare for the Steelers to ever give a player a 3rd contract, especially when he is 30 and especially when they just drafted a player at his position #21 overall.

I could be wrong and often am, but it just seems like the most logical thing that will happen.

55BaileyFan
04-30-2009, 08:10 PM
All depends on Mendenhalls development and Tanks' ability to put the ball in the endzone.

tony hipchest
04-30-2009, 08:10 PM
in all reality willies cap charge most likely becomes heath millers.

we will most likely see a case where we gotta pick 2 out of these 3: willie, heath, clark.

much like a few years ago we had to chose 3 out of troy, ben, and faneca.

triphahn
04-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Parkers future depends on Mendenhalls season. Its looking like Parker and maybe Hampton will be gone after next year.

KeiselPower99
04-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Ive never been a Willie fan but he has had a good career here. He will need to stay healthy and be productive for us to re up with him.

Psyychoward86
04-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Im kind of with Rek on this one. Ok fine, call him a one trick pony. But that doesnt mean he hasnt done anything special for us. And it sure doesnt mean that he cant keep doing that. Sure, we seldom see him light up a talented defensive team. But boy when he gets going, he GETS GOING. If we lose him, we lose some valuable depth at runningback. We need more than just Moore and Mendy. It's unrealistic to think Frank the Tank is one of our saviors all of a sudden. the kid's a beast, but it's his rookie season. And even though it is a given that runningbacks/fullbacks make easy transitions in the NFL, I think we all understand mutually that he was probably brought in primarily as a fullback. Maybe some special teams and goal line packages. But not much other than fullback. Not a lot of backs that average barely over 4 yards a carry in college get hundreds of carries a year. Mendy, FWP,and Moore running the ball couldnt hurt us one bit. That is a great combo, much more than some people seem to realize. Frank the Tank, the potential "heir apparent of Dan Kreider" blocking for us and giving us a hand at the goal line, Mendy contributing as our primary powerback between the tackles, FWP with his speed outside the tackles, and Moore as a change of pace versatile back for some carries and short catches. It's sort of like what the Giants had last year. 1st in the league in rushing. Coincidence? I think not. I hope Parker comes back. I think he's got plenty left.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Remember now.....Willie benefited from having a big back like the BUS to deliver the one-two punch..... He really hasnt had that since Jerome left...... Hopefully if Mendy stays healthy he can become a work horse while Willie can make the big plays again and not have to pound the ball

mmalone
04-30-2009, 11:23 PM
maybe arians should go first.. our running game has been questionable since he's been here. i would say willie should stay.
summers may help open some holes, but arians would have to use the I .. not sure he will.

Texasteel
04-30-2009, 11:37 PM
I agree, after the lousy year we had last year I think there is a lot of people we need to get rid of.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-30-2009, 11:51 PM
:tt02:I agree, after the lousy year we had last year I think there is a lot of people we need to get rid of.

Rek
05-01-2009, 02:03 AM
Im kind of with Rek on this one. Ok fine, call him a one trick pony. But that doesnt mean he hasnt done anything special for us. And it sure doesnt mean that he cant keep doing that. Sure, we seldom see him light up a talented defensive team. But boy when he gets going, he GETS GOING. If we lose him, we lose some valuable depth at runningback. We need more than just Moore and Mendy. It's unrealistic to think Frank the Tank is one of our saviors all of a sudden. the kid's a beast, but it's his rookie season. And even though it is a given that runningbacks/fullbacks make easy transitions in the NFL, I think we all understand mutually that he was probably brought in primarily as a fullback. Maybe some special teams and goal line packages. But not much other than fullback. Not a lot of backs that average barely over 4 yards a carry in college get hundreds of carries a year. Mendy, FWP,and Moore running the ball couldnt hurt us one bit. That is a great combo, much more than some people seem to realize. Frank the Tank, the potential "heir apparent of Dan Kreider" blocking for us and giving us a hand at the goal line, Mendy contributing as our primary powerback between the tackles, FWP with his speed outside the tackles, and Moore as a change of pace versatile back for some carries and short catches. It's sort of like what the Giants had last year. 1st in the league in rushing. Coincidence? I think not. I hope Parker comes back. I think he's got plenty left.

:thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
05-01-2009, 04:43 AM
If it comes down to keeping Parker or Miller I have to say Miller. Parker has had some good and bad times running the ball for us but for our offense to click I think we have to keep Miller. I like Parker but I think he is gone after this year.

RJC
05-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Willie Parker has a chance that he'll be back, albeit a snowball's chance.....IN HELL! The guy is breaking down. You had to know he would. He's small by NFL standards, and has zero power. When a guy like that begins to lose a step, there's really nothing else left. When was the last time Parker ripped off one of his patented "long runs"? 2006? Nothing since? Anyone with eyes in their heads saw that out run game lost nothing, and possibly gained with Moore starting. With Mendenhall, Moore, and Summers, I think the future is bright at RB. We have an intermediate combo RB in Mendenhall, a shifty 3rd down back in Moore, and a smashmouth powerback in Summers. That's a nice stable. So, to answer your question, NO, Parker has no chance in coming back, and I'll go one further. If I were the front office, I'd consider trading him now.....

scsteeler
05-01-2009, 09:37 AM
I just don't think that one year of being hurt should have everyone ready to get rid of FWP. Willie has been a key part of the Steelers winning before he got hurt. I think if we can get Willie some help so he does not have to carry the ball so many times every game this will only improve our running game. Every team needs 2 good backs and as of now Mendy has not show anything so the key guys in the backfield are Parker and Moore. I do think Mendy will be a good back for us but I just don't understand the lets get rid of Willie Parker mode a lot of fans are in now.

I think that getting rid of Willie would not be a good thing right now.

truesteelerfan
05-01-2009, 09:40 AM
We gotta keep him....We have nothing proven behind him....We don't know hardly anything about Mendy....Mewelde was only a part time starter in MN and the Vikes let him go for a reason (other than Adrian Peterson), and as much as I like what I've seen about Tank so far....we dont' even know if he's a HB or a FB, so do we really want to trust our running game to those three who have what, maybe a thousand yards between them, and if we take out Moore, maybe 50? Those ppl saying we need to cut him now are crazy! I agree with you, he's not what I would call a Steeler RB with power ala the Bus...and I agree, I enjoyed Bettis better because of that power, but until someone else proves they can carry the load better than Willie, I hope FWP remains on our team!

The Duke
05-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Willie Parker has a chance that he'll be back, albeit a snowball's chance.....IN HELL! The guy is breaking down. You had to know he would. He's small by NFL standards, and has zero power. When a guy like that begins to lose a step, there's really nothing else left. When was the last time Parker ripped off one of his patented "long runs"? 2006? Nothing since? Anyone with eyes in their heads saw that out run game lost nothing, and possibly gained with Moore starting. With Mendenhall, Moore, and Summers, I think the future is bright at RB. We have an intermediate combo RB in Mendenhall, a shifty 3rd down back in Moore, and a smashmouth powerback in Summers. That's a nice stable. So, to answer your question, NO, Parker has no chance in coming back, and I'll go one further. If I were the front office, I'd consider trading him now.....

Yeah, a running game that relies on 2 rookies (mendy is a rookie) and a 3rd down back. I'm excited :rolleyes:

I hope when willie leaves he wins the rushing title or something. The hate some steelers fans have for him is amazing

san diego would be a good fit for him....

fansince'76
05-01-2009, 09:53 AM
maybe arians should go first.. our running game has been questionable since he's been here.

Willie led the league in rushing for most of the 2007 season until he broke his leg in the Rams game in week 16....

Edman
05-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Willie Parker is not Jerome Bettis. He is not going to take a reduced role or a pay cut to win a championship. He has two already. He's going to want playing time and financial security. And we all know how the Steelers deal with players getting up there in years who are going to want that. Wether Mendy breaks out or not. RM breaking out, even if it's just a few games, will send Parker right out the door. As we've all seen in 2008, Willie can be pretty vocal.

He's gone no matter what he does in 2009. If Willie Parker is going to be playing for anyone, it's not going to be for his future with the Steelers, it's for his next team.

Don't take it that I'm hating on the guy. I've been the biggest Willie supporter on these boards. But I have seen nothing different from history that shows me Willie will don the B&G after 2009. Unless the FO or Willie really shocks me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Yeah, a running game that relies on 2 rookies (mendy is a rookie) and a 3rd down back. I'm excited :rolleyes:

I hope when willie leaves he wins the rushing title or something. The hate some steelers fans have for him is amazing

san diego would be a good fit for him....

Duke, I dont hate Parker. I actually love the guy and think he is a tougher runner than most give him credit for. But, in 2010 Mendenhall will be in his 3rd season, Summers in his 2nd season and Moore in his 8th season.

I just think with the #1 pick that was invested in Mendenhall, they are not gonna ante up for Parkers contract demands. I definately could be wrong.

scsteeler
05-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Duke, I dont hate Parker. I actually love the guy and think he is a tougher runner than most give him credit for. But, in 2010 Mendenhall will be in his 3rd season, Summers in his 2nd season and Moore in his 8th season.

I just think with the #1 pick that was invested in Mendenhall, they are not gonna ante up for Parkers contract demands. I definately could be wrong.

Unless Parker goes to the Pro Bowl and wins the rushing title I don't think his contract demands will be that high.

The Duke
05-01-2009, 10:18 AM

Oh, I agree that willie is gone next year. but it's things like this I hate....

If I were the front office, I'd consider trading him now.....

that's why I hope he becomes an all pro when he leaves, to make fans like this miss him. fans that don't realize the potential of having someone like willie backing up mendy. Hell of a rushing attack if you ask me

for all we know summers is another nate ilaoa or ron dayne. and moore is simply NOT better than parker

Rek
05-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Willie led the league in rushing for most of the 2007 season until he broke his leg in the Rams game in week 16....

And almost hit 800 yards last year through only 11 games. Yeah, he sucks :coffee:

OX1947
05-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Mendenhall, like Timmons, is too talented to keep on the bench. I think they let Parker go and give Mendenhall the ball full time with summers and moore backing him up.

truesteelerfan
05-01-2009, 01:20 PM
These are Mendy's college stats according to espn:

CAREER STATS:
ATTEMPTS YARDS TOUCHDOWNS
388 2,539 22

Do we really want our future put in the hands of a back who hasn't had 425 carries since he was in high school? Trust me...I have high hopes for him, but I'm not willing to put all my faith in his untested ability as some of us on this board are implying.....Why all the Willie hate? Cause he's not the Bus? He never claimed to be did he?

The Duke
05-01-2009, 01:29 PM
These are Mendy's college stats according to espn:

CAREER STATS:
ATTEMPTS YARDS TOUCHDOWNS
388 2,539 22

Do we really want our future put in the hands of a back who hasn't had 425 carries since he was in high school? Trust me...I have high hopes for him, but I'm not willing to put all my faith in his untested ability as some of us on this board are implying.....Why all the Willie hate? Cause he's not the Bus? He never claimed to be did he?

No, but everything can be blamed on willie, so let's just say he did :chuckle:

Edman
05-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Willie Parker didn't play in College at all, so I don't know where you're going with this.

Preacher
05-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Willie Parker-- The New Mahan of the offense.

He is getting scapegoated for everything.

Now... let's talk a little reality.

1. Everyone thinks the Bus was able to carry 2 and 3 people with him for 4 yards. Sure, but that was AFTER he started running downhill, which means he WASN'T HIT IN THE BACKFIELD. Our O Line has been HORRID since the opening game of the 2006 season.

2. Parker was the FEATURED BACK even in 2005. Bettis only came in on VERY specific occasions, like goal line stands. He only had 110 attempts, and that includes playoffs. Willie had 2 and a half times that amount. There was no "balanced" offense in 2005 when it came to the run game. It was Willie, and the Bettis in the last few minutes or at the goal line.

3. I for one have been calling for an end to the featured back system for quite some time now. It wears out the RB's too much. Remember all of the Bus' injuries?

4. What will probably drive Wille out of town is the contract. As someone else said, betweeen Heath Miller and Willie Parker, I think Miller is more important to this offense right now. He is one of the better blockers on the line and he can catch the ball. Ben needs the outlet for TE as well. Clark also is extremely important on D. Willie is very important, but we saw last year that we can win without him. I don't know if I can say that about Miller and Clark.

5. For emphasis, NO ONE can run the ball when they are being met by 2 guys in the backfield. Go back and watch the tapes. The Bus couldn't do it either.

mmalone
05-04-2009, 03:53 PM
the day we lost wisenhut and arians took over the running game has dropped off. arians needs to go not willie. willie needs to drive arians to the bus terminal. and salute him before he gets willie killed with his stupid plays.

thumper
05-04-2009, 04:39 PM
If he misses more then 3 games from injury and doesn't have a productive year I think we see him go the way of the dodo.

Yea, he's just not producing like he used to. And if he has a big enough year that he commands top $ then I say let him go - I am no fan of paying elite $ for a player's 3rd contract unless it's under very special circumstances, ala Hines Ward. It's rare the injury prone players get LESS injuries as they get older. It always goes the other way.

if Mendenhal can prove worthy of his draft ranking let WP walk and draft a mid level RB next year to add depth. I also like Moore a lot as a change of pace back. We won games just fine with him as our only healthy back last year.

thumper
05-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Willie Parker-- The New Mahan of the offense.

He is getting scapegoated for everything.

Now... let's talk a little reality.

1. Everyone thinks the Bus was able to carry 2 and 3 people with him for 4 yards. Sure, but that was AFTER he started running downhill, which means he WASN'T HIT IN THE BACKFIELD. Our O Line has been HORRID since the opening game of the 2006 season.

2. Parker was the FEATURED BACK even in 2005. Bettis only came in on VERY specific occasions, like goal line stands. He only had 110 attempts, and that includes playoffs. Willie had 2 and a half times that amount. There was no "balanced" offense in 2005 when it came to the run game. It was Willie, and the Bettis in the last few minutes or at the goal line.

3. I for one have been calling for an end to the featured back system for quite some time now. It wears out the RB's too much. Remember all of the Bus' injuries?

4. What will probably drive Wille out of town is the contract. As someone else said, betweeen Heath Miller and Willie Parker, I think Miller is more important to this offense right now. He is one of the better blockers on the line and he can catch the ball. Ben needs the outlet for TE as well. Clark also is extremely important on D. Willie is very important, but we saw last year that we can win without him. I don't know if I can say that about Miller and Clark.

5. For emphasis, NO ONE can run the ball when they are being met by 2 guys in the backfield. Go back and watch the tapes. The Bus couldn't do it either.

I wish someone would tattoo these thought into the eye lids of Arians and Tomlin. I just can't grasp how they don't realize the above thoughts. How can they be that stupid. Yea, I know - they won a ring. But that doesn't invalidate the truth that the single back sets have our backs getting hit immediately and giving them no chance to produce. It sucks. We won in spite of this crap system not because of it

LVSteelersfan
05-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I do like Willie but the reality of the situation is he will probably want too much money after he gets his third ring this upcoming year. I always thought Willie went down too easily on first contact. I am not saying Mendenhall is any better because we haven't seen him. BUT, unless the owners and players union get together on a new contract, anything could go next year. I believe we get to tag two players if there is no contract in place and some UDFAs will actually be RFAs instead. It changes the whole complexion of what players stay or go next year. Personally, I think Willie has to start every game and be unhurt or he is gone.

X-Terminator
05-05-2009, 01:52 AM
I wish someone would tattoo these thought into the eye lids of Arians and Tomlin. I just can't grasp how they don't realize the above thoughts. How can they be that stupid. Yea, I know - they won a ring. But that doesn't invalidate the truth that the single back sets have our backs getting hit immediately and giving them no chance to produce. It sucks. We won in spite of this crap system not because of it

If Frank Summers turns out to be even above average compared to the other FBs in camp, and that is a pretty safe bet, then you will see more of the I formation and less of the single-back sets.

As for Parker, people, it's not about hating him as to why he will be gone after this season. I'm one of Parker's biggest backers and have gone round and round with his haters here. Bottom line is it's about dollars and cents, and the way the Rooneys do business. They drafted Mendenhall to eventually take over as the starter. At the end of this season, Parker will be 30 years old, the age where a lot of starting backs begin to break down. They also have two pretty important players to re-sign in Miller and Clark. Therefore, if Mendenhall has somewhat of a breakout season, it is pretty much a lock that Parker will be gone after this season. Even if Mendenhall has an average season, Parker probably will be gone because they will need his money to sign Miller and Clark. I like Parker, and, like Arians, I feel he gets way too much of the blame for the offense's struggles last season. But the big picture simply does not have Parker in it.

tony hipchest
05-05-2009, 02:05 AM
i love willie parker, and really dug larry foote.

but you dont spend 1st round picks to be back ups when the incumbent will be going into a "contract year".

it has been proven that, that is the steelers way.

willie better be prepared to take a hell of alot more hometown discount than hines or jerome, if he wishes to remain a steelers.

looking at the likes of s. alexander, c. benson, (and that other scrub from the bungles, people thought was great), et. al. im not gonna write it off.

ricksteelers55
05-05-2009, 02:13 AM
We can argue about how Parker is or isnt good,but the real problem is not Parker's skills...it is Bruce Arians ability to use properly all the RB that we have.How many time did we see Parker getting like 25 carries in a game last year and Memo who had a couple of 100 + yds game getting 2 or 3 ? We need to split the carries and change the pace of our running game.Parker will be useful to this team,and even though im not a huge fan of him I think he can contribute in a second horse kind of role behind a Workhorse like Mendy,a 3rd down back like Memo and shortyardage like The Tank.

Rowghani
05-05-2009, 09:40 AM
backs are a dime a dozen. focus on signing heath and making sure we have cap room for santonio the following year. give mendenhall more carries to see if hes up for the task. he better be with all the hype and a first round choice invested in him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2009, 10:01 AM
If Frank Summers turns out to be even above average compared to the other FBs in camp, and that is a pretty safe bet, then you will see more of the I formation and less of the single-back sets.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

BA ran single back with Paul Palmer in Temple, Will Green in Cleveland, Colts did it where he was QB coach and now with the Steelers. He will not run any more I formation than he did last year.

Summers is just an all around better runner, receiver and football player than Carey Davis and that is why he is here. So those formations can be more effective with a FB, not run more of them.

steelcurtain4392
05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
he was injured 5 games last year, he was also a big part of the superbowl XL win, we still need FAST WILLIE PARKER

Steely McSmash
05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
the day we lost wisenhut and arians took over the running game has dropped off. arians needs to go not willie. willie needs to drive arians to the bus terminal. and salute him before he gets willie killed with his stupid plays.

You could say the same about Grimm and Zerlein. BA might actually be doing the right thing by not trying to run up the gut when the OL can't open holes there.

also refer to Willie leading the rushing race prior to injury....

mmalone
05-06-2009, 08:19 AM
i must be watching another steelers team, i see willie and mendy getting up the middle calls on 1st downs, 2nd downs, ending up with 3rd and 6, 3rd and 7. then ben having to pass, then get blitzed then get killed. then see no blocking for willie and mendy with a single back. mendy gets crushed, willie is smaller he was hurt... those 2 can only take so much of arians football...

mmalone
05-06-2009, 08:25 AM
1st quarter ravens championship game.. follow this: Pittsburgh Steelers at 10:20 BAL PIT
1st and 10 at PIT 36 (10:20) W.Parker left guard to PIT 38 for 2 yards (T.Pryce, R.Lewis).
2nd and 8 at PIT 38 (9:37) W.Parker right tackle to PIT 37 for -1 yards (H.Ngata).
3rd and 9 at PIT 37 (8:53) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 29 for -8 yards (H.Ngata).
4th and 17 at PIT 29 (8:25) (Punt formation) M.Berger punts 42 yards to BLT 29, Center-J.Retkofsky. J.Leonhard MUFFS catch, and recovers at BLT 27. J.Leonhard to BLT 27 for no gain (W.Gay).

mmalone
05-06-2009, 08:27 AM
if you didnt see that alot, you were not watching the games on the same day i was watching??

mmalone
05-06-2009, 08:28 AM
one more that ben saved.... but we fumbled..

1st and 10 at PIT 10 (5:08) W.Parker right guard to PIT 14 for 4 yards (B.McKinney).
2nd and 6 at PIT 14 (4:47) W.Parker up the middle to PIT 15 for 1 yard (J.Leonhard, M.Douglas).
3rd and 5 at PIT 15 (3:46) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass deep left to H.Miller to PIT 33 for 18 yards (E.Reed).
1st and 10 at PIT 33 (2:59) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short right to N.Washington to PIT 41 for 8 yards (J.Johnson).
2nd and 2 at PIT 41 (2:20) W.Parker left guard to PIT 41 for no gain (R.Lewis). FUMBLES (R.Lewis), RECOVERED by BLT-J.Leonhard at PIT 43.
J.Leonhard to PIT 43 for no gain (N.Washington).

mmalone
05-06-2009, 08:30 AM
no i am wound up. here is another.. same game... 1st and 10 at PIT 20 (12:10) W.Parker up the middle to PIT 22 for 2 yards (B.Scott).
2nd and 8 at PIT 22 (11:26) B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to N.Washington to PIT 27 for 5 yards (B.Scott).
3rd and 3 at PIT 27 (10:38) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 20 for -7 yards (M.Douglas).
4th and 10 at PIT 20 (10:20) (Punt formation) M.Berger punts 51 yards to BLT 29, Center-J.Retkofsky. J.Leonhard to BLT 39 for 10 yards (A.Frazier).

mmalone
05-06-2009, 08:31 AM
the bruse arians plays are way to easy to read.... the OL can work as hard as they want, without some deception they are going to have rough days.

Edman
05-06-2009, 09:52 AM
How about actually giving credit to the Ravens Defense? Rarely does anyone run on them and they always brought their A game against the Steelers. With a few rare exceptions. We still managed to beat them, though.

The Steelers just couldn't run PERIOD last year. But somehow this is all Parker's fault? How about our O-Line blocking schemes that let guys go untouched to tackle our RB's in the backfield? How about Carey Davis, who couldn't lead a run block through the Grand Canyon if his life depended on it?

BlastFurnace
05-06-2009, 10:26 AM
no i am wound up. here is another.. same game... 1st and 10 at PIT 20 (12:10) W.Parker up the middle to PIT 22 for 2 yards (B.Scott).
2nd and 8 at PIT 22 (11:26) B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to N.Washington to PIT 27 for 5 yards (B.Scott).
3rd and 3 at PIT 27 (10:38) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 20 for -7 yards (M.Douglas).
4th and 10 at PIT 20 (10:20) (Punt formation) M.Berger punts 51 yards to BLT 29, Center-J.Retkofsky. J.Leonhard to BLT 39 for 10 yards (A.Frazier).

It's no secret that our running game struggled this season. The Ravens did this to a lot of teams.

Much like Mark Malone, you're hitting nothing but dirt with your best shot.

steelballs
05-06-2009, 10:38 AM
No. And if Mendenhall develops like they hope, this season may be his last in a Steeler uniform.

I like Willie and his work ethic, but as you state, if Mendenhall produces as expected, I think the Steelers will have no choice but to move on.

mmalone
05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
missing my point. its not about the teams we play. i can find this same scenario in every game, numerous times. i just think willie and the backs are fine. the OL is ok, the play calling is just basic and easy to read for any defense so they jam us. i blame arians for the lack of deception in the plays and the minimal use of counter blitz plays. willie and the boys are fine. my point is just the play calling...

lilyoder6
05-06-2009, 11:19 AM
i think that this season will depend on if whether willie stays or if he goes..

if he can't stay healthy for another season.. i think he will be labeled as injury prone and the steelers won't give him that "big" contract

RoethlisBURGHer
05-06-2009, 12:23 PM
If Parker has another injury riddled season, he won't be brought back.

If he's healthy and doesn't produce, he won't be brought back.

The other thing that is working against FWP is his age. Thirty is the age RB's start to break down...and it's possible that breaking down has already started for Parker.

And the final thing working against Willie Parker is that we have Rashard Mendenhall in the backfield. He's going to take carries this year (providing he holds onto the ball in training camp/preseason).

If Mendenhall has a breakout season, then that will probably be the nail in Parker's coffin.

What could save Parker however, is if he stays healthy and comes back for less money to be a complimentary RB to Mendenhall.

I am a Parker fan, but I will trust the front office's decisions with the RB situations.