PDA

View Full Version : Steelers ready for mini-camp, make roster moves

mesaSteeler
04-30-2009, 11:03 PM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Steelers ready for mini-camp, make roster moves
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/04/steelers-ready-for-mini-camp.html

The Steelers will hold their mini-camp Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the only mandatory workouts of the offseason.

That means all players will be expected to be there or risk being fined - with the exception of linebacker Larry Foote.

Foote's still on the roster for now, but likely will be given a pass on attending mini-camp as the team tries to trade him in the next few days.

A number of teams have their mini-camps this weekend and if somebody has a starter go down with an injury, it could open the door for a deal.

If not, Foote who has asked to be traded or released will be cut, freeing up $2.9-million in cap space.

That money, however, isn't everything that's needed for the team to be able to sign its rookie class.

The Steelers's rookie pool is $4.284 million, meaning they'll still have to clear some cap space to be able to get everyone in by training camp.

In other news, the Steelers made a flurry of roster moves Thursday, most notably signing wide receiver Shaun McDonald.

McDonald, you may remember, was on my free agent watch list.

In 2008, McDonald had 35 catches for 332 yards and one touchdown in 12 games for Detroit.

The Steelers also signed some camp bodies, adding punter Dirk Johnson and kicker Piotr Czech don't say that one out loud if you're at work.

Long-snapper Jared Retkofsky was released. He was signed last season when Greg Warren was lost for the season to a torn ACL. The Steelers signed Pitt long snapper Mark Estermeyer as an undrafted free agent earlier this week.

NEPAsteeler
04-30-2009, 11:12 PM
NFL from the sidelines

The Steelers also signed some camp bodies, adding punter Dirk Johnson and kicker Piotr Czech - don't say that one out loud if you're at work.

Say it out loud? Hell... I can't even pronounce it :chuckle:

Is it September yet?!?!

7willBheaven
04-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Say it out loud? Hell... I can't even pronounce it :chuckle:

Is it September yet?!?!

Its pronounced Peter

NEPAsteeler
04-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Its pronounced Peter

I had a feeling it was. It looks like it but I thought I was wrong.

Galax Steeler
05-01-2009, 04:31 AM
Its pronounced Peter

I will take your work for it.:chuckle:

SunshineMan21
05-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Huh, Shaun McDonald . . . I like it--I much prefer him to Ashlie Lelie.

HometownGal
05-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Oooooo Mini Camp! :banana: Means TC is right around the corner! :tt03::applaudit:

lilyoder6
05-01-2009, 09:12 AM
nice 2 see some of the players getting back this weekend

KeiselPower99
05-01-2009, 09:38 AM
At least there is something like football happening in Pittsburgh this weekend.