PDA

View Full Version : Orakpo to be a 4-3 linebacker?

ShutDown24
05-02-2009, 09:46 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8101ec82&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

ASHBURN, Va. -- As if a new town, new teammates and a new lifestyle weren't hard enough, Washington Redskins first-round draft pick Brian Orakpo might have one more obstacle in his transition to the NFL: a new position.

Orakpo, selected by the Redskins last week as a highly touted defensive end, spent his first minicamp Friday and Saturday drilling with Washington's linebacker corps.

And while Orakpo -- who slipped to the 13th overall selection after some projected him in the top five -- still expects to be a lineman first, how well he adapts to linebacker might affect how much he plays as a rookie.

"It's all just up in the air, just seeing what can I do, and how can I stay on the field at all times," said Orakpo, a 6-foot-4, 260-pound speed end who played on both sides of the defensive line at Texas. "But they brought me here to rush the passer, and I'm not getting away from that at all. Don't even think that."

A self-described athletic "freak" with a 550-pound bench press and a 4.7-second 40-yard dash, Orakpo certainly offers flexibility to a group that finished last season with 24 team sacks, just 28th-best in the NFL. And with the addition of All-Pro defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who signed a seven-year, $100-million contract early in free agency, Orakpo senses the Redskins' scheme could suit him well.

"Now I can really get on the edge and not worry about the quarterback stepping in the pocket," said Orakpo, who led Texas with 11.5 sacks during his senior season. "Because you've got big Albert clogging up the middle, pushing the pocket, making the quarterback escape to where the ends are coming and leave us roaming free. It's really a lot easier for us."

Orakpo also could free up other ends such as Andre Carter, who had four sacks and 37 tackles last season, or veterans Phillip Daniels and Renaldo Wynn, who likely will play more on run downs.

That's the plan -- though it's hard to tell what will happen because they haven't played much with Orakpo.

"I saw him pass rush," said Haynesworth, who otherwise said he hadn't watched Orakpo much. "On one, he turned the corner real well and slapped a guy's hands. He's got that part down. With a rookie, you've got so many things thrown at you that it's really different, and you can't really focus on the game of football."

Added Carter: "We see a little bit of him on film. He's coming along. It's the transition of him going from being a defensive end to a linebacker. He also comes down and puts his hand in the dirt in nickel and dime packages. But he's all over the place."

Which, in the end, is what the Redskins want.

"I'm getting a sense of my role," Orakpo said. "I'm still getting more comfortable at the linebacker reads and stuff, but that just comes over time.

"In running downs, it's up in two-point stance, and when it's time to rush, well, it's, 'Get down and go.'"

:banging: :banging: :banging:

I feel this is a horrible move. From everything I've ever seen of him, Orakpo's strength is rushing the passer. Why would you expand his learning curve and take him off the pass rush in some situations? This just makes no sense to me. I hate it when coaches and teams limit or ruin talent that players have by trying to make into something else. Anyone agree with me on this issue? I'm not saying I don't think Orakpo can play linebacker, I think he can. But why take him away from pursuing the quarterback even for a second when that is the biggest strength in his game?

xfl2001fan
05-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm cool with the Skins screwing up.

Wish the Steelers and Ravens would do it more often.

ShutDown24
05-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm cool with the Skins screwing up.

Can't say I disagree, they do everything wrong as far as how to run a franchise so I'm not dissapointed for their sake, I just wan't every football player reach his full potential. I would hate to see Orakpo get really caught up in trying to be a linebacker and lose his pass rush. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I feel like this is wrong.

xfl2001fan
05-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Expect stupidity when you are dealing with Snyder/Jones/Davis/Brown owned teams.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Expect stupidity when you are dealing with Snyder/Jones/Davis/Brown/LERNER owned teams.

fixed it for you. ;)

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-03-2009, 01:39 AM
fixed it for you. ;)

:rofl: Yeah, hard to put Al Davis and Jerry Jones in that category when they both can sport a few Lombardi trophies...............and leave Lerner off the hook.

xfl2001fan
05-03-2009, 08:21 AM
:rofl: Yeah, hard to put Al Davis and Jerry Jones in that category when they both can sport a few Lombardi trophies...............and leave Lerner off the hook.

Yeah, Davis and Jones have been in the league for how many years....as opposed to Lerner...and this is Lerner's son now. Where is that damn sarcasm smiley at?

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah, Davis and Jones have been in the league for how many years....as opposed to Lerner...and this is Lerner's son now. Where is that damn sarcasm smiley at?

No idea what you are getting at, but I think Jerry Jones and Al Davis can always pointo to multiple Lombardi trophies in the case, while all the Lerners can do is point to multiple cases of staph infection and 1st round picks and pro bowlers that want to get out of Cleveland.

I guess my point is that guys Namdi Asogmua want to be in Oakland, or Owens, Roy Williams, Romo want to be in Dallas, yet Winslow, Edwards, Rogers and other want to get out of Cleveland.

revefsreleets
05-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Hmmmm...this is a big mistake. At worst, he should be a DE in the 4-3, and at worst standing up as an OLB in a 3-4.

The dude is pretty one-dimensional...this will only exacerbate those flaws...

Psyychoward86
05-03-2009, 01:02 PM
'Skins fans, brace yourselves for another season under .500.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-03-2009, 01:12 PM
The dude is pretty one-dimensional...this will only exacerbate those flaws... You might be right, but I dont think he is that one dimensional. He's a great pass rusher and while he lacks the bulk, he attacks the line of scrimmage well in the run game.

He has never had to drop and cover, like most college DE's that make the conversion to OLB, so I see that transition as pretty normal. Orakpo is a good athlete, so I think he will be a solid NFL player. But he shouldnt be playing OLB in a 4-3. IMO.

xfl2001fan
05-03-2009, 01:18 PM
You might be right, but I dont think he is that one dimensional. He's a great pass rusher and while he lacks the bulk, he attacks the line of scrimmage well in the run game.

He has never had to drop and cover, like most college DE's that make the conversion to OLB, so I see that transition as pretty normal. Orakpo is a good athlete, so I think he will be a solid NFL player. But he shouldnt be playing OLB in a 4-3. IMO.

Still, if it's about putting your best 7 on the field, If they think he'll make their front 7 better, then why not.

Who knows, with Haynseworth playing DT on that line...maybe this won't be as bad of an idea as they thought afterall. Albert forces a double team...which leaves 3 offensive lineman for 3 defensive lineman...and essentially frees Orakpo up in the run game. Sounds like on passing downs, they're going to let him rush the passer with his hand on the ground anyways.

ShutDown24
05-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Still, if it's about putting your best 7 on the field, If they think he'll make their front 7 better, then why not.

Who knows, with Haynseworth playing DT on that line...maybe this won't be as bad of an idea as they thought afterall. Albert forces a double team...which leaves 3 offensive lineman for 3 defensive lineman...and essentially frees Orakpo up in the run game. Sounds like on passing downs, they're going to let him rush the passer with his hand on the ground anyways.

That makes sense on the surface, but if it was up to me I just wouldn't even mess with it. I'd be having him put his hand in the dirt all the time from the start.

paw-n-maul-u
05-04-2009, 06:33 AM
The skins make me sick, throw almost 180 mil at two players.

On paper an offseason that sounds like

-signed haynesworth

-resigned D.Hall

-cut ties with worthless jason taylor

-and drafted Orakpo outside of the top 10

... but knowing the skinnies, they will destruct.

I am a big jason campbell fan and feel every time he takes two steps forward he inevitably takes one step back, esp with all the switching of coaches and coordinaters etc. ... not much WR help ... a team that seems to always find a way to just be completely injury plagued. Or a top 5 safety in the league gets murderd.

could you imagine a secondary of Landry, Sean Taylor aka the truth, d hall, c. rogers and smoot as your nickel. that is probably the best secondary on paper in the NFL. Their defense is going to be stout, top 10 again.

And you can't deny adding haynesworth. I just feel Orakpo is a vernon gholston clone.

revefsreleets
05-04-2009, 11:41 AM
He IS a Gholston clone...difference is, the Jets are teaching a fairly one dimensional Vernon Gholston how to stand up in a 3-4, not a 4-3.

xfl2001fan
05-04-2009, 11:56 AM
That makes sense on the surface, but if it was up to me I just wouldn't even mess with it. I'd be having him put his hand in the dirt all the time from the start.

I'm merely trying to understand their thought process...doesn't mean I agree with it. Personally, I say line him up next to Haynesworth and let loose the dogs.