PDA

View Full Version : Timmons ready to step in

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-03-2009, 05:58 AM
Timmons ready to step in
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:15 AM EDT

PITTSBURGH — The torch has been passed. The Lawrence Timmons era is under way.

The transition at right inside linebacker might not be official until the Steelers’ first game of the season. But this weekend at minicamp, Timmons moved into the slot manned the past five seasons by Larry Foote.

He’s there to say.

A soft-spoken young man off the field, Timmons accepted his new responsibility with a humble determination.

“I just have to take care of my tasks and do the best I can,” he said. “I’m just playing football. It’s just football.”

Although Foote technically remains on the roster, he’s history. He’s back in his hometown of Detroit, constantly phoning his agent about a new place of employment. If the Steelers can’t swing a trade, Foote will likely be released.

In his own quiet way, Timmons is excited that he’s the new starter. He’s just wishes it wouldn’t have to come with the Steelers and Foote involved in a messy divorce.

“He’s (like) family. I’ve got nothing but love for the guy,” Timmons said. “Every day since I’ve been here, he’s always helped me with things. I hope the best for him and his family.”

With Timmons running with the first-team defense, the Steelers’ top two picks of the 2007 NFL Draft are now starters.

LaMarr Woodley, the second-round pick two years ago, moved into the starting lineup last year. He responded with a monster season. Among Woodley’s highlights were 11.5 sacks during the regular season and six more during the playoffs, including two in the Super Bowl.

Timmons, 15th overall pick of the ’07 draft, played a lot last year in obvious passing situations. Foote was clearly the better run stopper, while Timmons was clearly better rushing the passer and dropping back into coverage,

He was fourth on the team in sacks last year with five. He also had an 89-yard interception return that was the 10th longest in the league.

And he’ll only be 23 on May 14. He’ll be one of the NFL’s youngest starting linebackers this year.

If Timmons can hold his own against the run, he should add to the lineage of star linebackers who’s played for the Steelers during the Super Bowl era.

“I won’t have any problems (defending the run),” he said. “I’m just trying to get better. I think I have to get better at everything.”

“I’m looking forward to playing with L.T.,” said left inside linebacker James Farrior. “Foote was one of my best friends on the team. We’ve been playing together for the last five years, so I’ll definitely miss him and all the things he brought to the table.

“But Lawrence is a good linebacker. He’s going to be one of the real good ones once he gets his stuff down. He’s one of the best athletes on the team.”

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/05/02/sports/steelers/doc49fd19815c2c9426488201.txt

Galax Steeler
05-03-2009, 07:49 AM
That is good to hear that Timmons has the respect for Foote and has no hard fellings toward each other. I hope Timmons has a monsterous year.

Rowghani
05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Ive been very critical of this pick since we made it. Woudl have much rather have had an O-linemen or CB at the time, however ive since learned to shut up and give some mad props to the front office when it comes to talent evaluation. He played well last year given the time he was actually on the field. If he plays to his potetial next year imagine how further destructive our Defence will be.

PeckerWood
05-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Will miss Foote he's been a steady LB for the Steelers always played with in the scheme of this great defense.
:tt03:

But Timmons brings a lot more speed to the position and should be another great in the long line of Steelers LBs.
:tt03: