PDA

View Full Version : Dixon looks good

mesaSteeler
05-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Saturday, May 02, 2009
Dixon looks good
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/05/dixon-looks-good.html

Second-year quarterback Dennis Dixon looks like a completely different player at this year's mini-camp than he did a year ago.

Then again, that's not that big of a surprise considering he wasn't even supposed to take a snap at last year's camp after undergoing surgery to repair a torn ACL less than six months before.

Dixon obviously has a much better grasp of the offense now and you can see a huge difference between him and rookies Kevin McCabe and Mike Reilly.

There's also not much difference between Dixon and veteran Charlie Batch. In fact, Dixon has looked better than Batch - though it's still very early and Batch is coming off a very long layoff.

It's easy to see, however, why the Steelers are high on Dixon.

While there's not a load of experience behind Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes at wide receiver, there's certainly a glut of promising young players - and a couple of veterans.

But there are also spots open there and the battle for the fourth, fifth and even sixth wideout spots should be a very good one this year in training camp.

As he usually has, Deshea Townsend has worked at safety. But with two young draft picks added at the cornerback position, as well as veteran Keiwan Ratliff, Townsend's work at safety may be more important now than ever for the veteran.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 10:24 PM

Steelman16
05-03-2009, 01:59 PM
If Dixon can take the #2 spot, do we see some trick plays ala ARE this year?

Townsend is a foxy old vet - how many CB's would train for several years at safety because they know they'll eventually be outdone by the young guys at the CB position? :thumbsup:

Hapa
05-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I want to see Dixon play so badly, but I want Big Ben to play because he's definitely better.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Yeah, maybe this year he will step up and be our KR/WR/ Slash type player that so many thought he would be. :rolleyes:

scsteeler
05-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah, maybe this year he will step up and be our KR/WR/ Slash type player that so many thought he would be. :rolleyes:

I don't think you will see Dixon doing any slash roles except maybe a designed run play. Dixon will be a QB.

The threat of a run from a very good passer is much more dangerous than a guy that is only a runner.

Dixon will not be a Wildcat Player.

The Duke
05-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Hey, I'm happy he's getting better. But I'd be thrilled if he never had to play

Dr. Steel
05-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm very anxious to see Dixon this year. No offense to Charlie Batch but I do hope Dixon wins the backup job if he does indeed beat out Batch.

As for Townsend. He still is needed on this team and really having him for depth at corner and maybe safety is wise.

Steelerfreak58
05-03-2009, 03:57 PM

Yup couldn't agree more. Its nice having a great back up but that is all I want him to be cause if he never gets to play that means Big Ben is playing and healthy and that means a lot of wins and very few losses.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-03-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't think you will see Dixon doing any slash roles except maybe a designed run play. Dixon will be a QB.

The threat of a run from a very good passer is much more dangerous than a guy that is only a runner.

Dixon will not be a Wildcat Player.

Awwww.....come on. When he was drafted, there was all this speculation that with his athleticism, Dixon could play WR, KR or be the next great slash player. We cant write him down as strictly a QB this early........can we??

steelerdave1969
05-03-2009, 05:16 PM

Atleast not as a Steeler anyway..
I like the thought of having the young man on the field in different conditions, but Ben is our future and he needs to be in there 99.9% of the time in my opinion..

Rek
05-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Dixon for #2 quarterback!!!

Psyychoward86
05-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I only want him to win the backup job if he's ready.

steeltheone
05-03-2009, 06:52 PM
As long as Batch is on the roster, he will be the number 2.....This season anyhow

triphahn
05-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I could not believe we got Dixon in the 5th. He's solid. We obviously have a starting QB that will go down maybe as the greatest Steeler QB ever and needs to be in there but we all know shit happens and a good backup is essential.

AllD
05-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I could not believe we got Dixon in the 5th. He's solid. We obviously have a starting QB that will go down maybe as the greatest Steeler QB ever and needs to be in there but we all know shit happens and a good backup is essential.

BB is great, but he is not the Blonde Bomber.

scsteeler
05-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Awwww.....come on. When he was drafted, there was all this speculation that with his athleticism, Dixon could play WR, KR or be the next great slash player. We cant write him down as strictly a QB this early........can we??

I do think you are correct that he can play those positions but I think the coaching staff wants him to be a QB, especially Coach Tomlin.

Steely McSmash
05-03-2009, 08:44 PM
So here's a question, If Dixon beats out Batch as #2, do you keep the experience of Batch as the #3 guy or do you work on development of a promising rookie?

I'm assuming the team sticks with Batch.

hypercycloid
05-03-2009, 08:47 PM
If Dixon turns becomes the #2 QB this season I think they could very possibly put in a special package of gadget plays designed especially to utilize his abilities. I don't see him playing wideout or returning kicks but a wildcat type package is a real possibility.

Psyychoward86
05-03-2009, 10:13 PM
So here's a question, If Dixon beats out Batch as #2, do you keep the experience of Batch as the #3 guy or do you work on development of a promising rookie?

I'm assuming the team sticks with Batch.

I dont there's even question. If we have just Ben, Dixon, and one of the rookies, we'd be screwed if the worst happened

Galax Steeler
05-04-2009, 04:56 AM
I would love to see Dixon slide to the no.2 roll this year if he is ready to go. I would like to see what he has.

revefsreleets
05-04-2009, 12:03 PM
They'll keep both. Batch is very cheap, and it's like having a player/coach around. I think Dixon moves up to #2 at some point this year, though, provided he stays on track and looks good throughout camp and preseason.

fansince'76
05-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I dont there's even question. If we have just Ben, Dixon, and one of the rookies, we'd be screwed if the worst happened

I hear tell Hines played a little QB in college. :chuckle:

BKAnthem
05-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Maybe i'm being overly sensitive but i'm getting really tired of hearing and reading about every black QB that can run being cast as a Slash/Wildcat QB.....why can't he just be a QuarterBack?

revefsreleets
05-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Maybe i'm being overly sensitive but i'm getting really tired of hearing and reading about every black QB that can run being cast as a Slash/Wildcat QB.....why can't he just be a QuarterBack?

Race has nothing to do with it, athleticism does.

Hammer Of The GODS
05-04-2009, 01:41 PM

I'd respond to that but you might cry being sensitive and all. :noidea:

scsteeler
05-04-2009, 02:31 PM

There was a time before blacks were ever considered for the QB position that the ability to run the ball like a RB and play any position was a plus and that QB was considered talented and great. Only now that you see more and more blacks in the QB position those abilities are only a plus only in certain situations.

Big Ben is a running QB except that he does it side to side and he is said to buy time with his legs. I see the QB with running ability being a great asset and not until one of these new age QB's wins a couple Super Bowls will you hear it be called a plus for a QB again.

Steve Young is one that ran a lot to make plays but until he won the Super Bowl he was always in the shadows of Montana.

I would not let it bother you too much. I say that to quiet people you perform. Tomlin in the begining had a lot of doubters and he did what needed to be done he won and now most love him. Of course let him have a bad season and we will see if this holds true then.

LVSteelersfan
05-04-2009, 03:11 PM
I think it is time for Batch to step aside. I don't think he really has that much left in the tank but he is perfect for holding a clipboard and teaching young Dixon the ropes. He is also good insurance in case something happens to Ben and Dixon does not work out as a backup. I like Charlie but am not sure he is really the answer as a backup any more. They should have tried harder to keep Lefy IMHO. Maybe they think Dixon really is ready to give it a shot and that was why Lefty was expendable. That contract they offered Lefty was a slap in the face and a joke.

OneForTheToe
05-04-2009, 04:12 PM
I wrote this in another thread, but I can see Batch and Dixon being 2a and 2b. If Dixon progresses far enough then he could be number two on game day. Charlie could be the emergency QB on game day. The advantage to keeping Charlie in this situation on the roster is that, if Ben would go down for an extended period of time, Tomlin would still have the option to use the more experienced QB as the starter.

LukesDad88
05-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I wrote this in another thread, but I can see Batch and Dixon being 2a and 2b. If Dixon progresses far enough then he could be number two on game day. Charlie could be the emergency QB on game day. The advantage to keeping Charlie in this situation on the roster is that, if Ben would go down for an extended period of time, Tomlin would still have the option to use the more experienced QB as the starter.

I'd reverse that order. I'd like to see Dixon be the emergency option on gameday, but Batch be the one to go in if BB was out a week or more. Batch has shown it in the past, if he goes in rusty, with few snaps in practice, he doesn't perform. If he has a week to prep, otoh, he can look like a decent starter.

Don't forget, the shelf life for a backup QB is much longer than a starting QB. Batch still has some mileage left in his tank.

LukesDad88
05-04-2009, 05:48 PM
BTW, am I the only one not interested in running Wildcat formations, or even Slash-type plays? A couple of trick plays throughout the year are fine to keep the defenses honest, but not every week, and definitely not 3-4 times a game; and even among those, I want every offensive snap to go through BB's hands. If you're doing otherwise, to me it means you're not getting the job done where it needs to be done.

Dino 6 Rings
05-04-2009, 05:56 PM

Um, its because he ran the Spread at Oregon. The Shotgun Option Run/Pass offense that allows the QB to hand it off, run it or throw. That's why its brought up. Ben ran a Pro Style offense in College, so that's why no one thinks he can "slash it up".

Seriously...was that even a real post?

In 2007, he had 254 passing attempts, 172 completions for 2136 yards, and 105 rushes. That's almost 1/2 the plays he ran the ball.

he had a long run of 80 yards, and 9 rushing TDS. 583 yards rushing in 2007.

He had 20 passing Tds. So again, 1/2 his touchdowns, were runs.

That's where it comes from.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-04-2009, 08:15 PM

I tend to agree with you. I rarely heard any other athletic QB's like Eric Crouch, Matt Jones being mentioned in slash type hybrid roles. Even Jared Zabransky posted some of the better short shuttle and 3 cone drill times in his group, then ran a 4.55-40........and nobody touted him as a QB that might play slot receiver.

Dixon is a QB, first and foremost. I am still waiting to see him return kicks and play WR as many stereotyped him to be able to do last year. Saying he is a wildcat QB is like saying all Irish people drink and like to fight....IMO.

Steeldude
05-04-2009, 08:48 PM
anyone remember dee dowis? he was a running QB and he was white.

OneForTheToe
05-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Saying he is a wildcat QB is like saying all Irish people drink and like to fight....IMO.

Don't we?:noidea:

MaidenIndiana
05-04-2009, 10:09 PM

In my neighborhood we do:tt03:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2009, 12:52 AM

I dont know. I am normally too busy with my Italian relatives making pasta, stomping grapes, working on cousin Enzo's Camaro and running numbers for the mafia. But everyting I said............foget abatt it. :wink:

steelwall
05-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Irish people drink and like to fight....IMO.

Hey I resemble that remark....I mean resent it.... :chuckle:

tony hipchest
05-05-2009, 12:59 AM
i was thinking leftwich was gonna be our next slash/randle el. :noidea:

steelwall
05-05-2009, 01:02 AM

:laughing: a drunken Irishman can beat Lefty in a 40 yard dash.... :laughing:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2009, 01:08 AM

Sure.......he did that at Marshall. Honestly here is a picture.
http://www.bqb-site.com/leftwich.jpg

but then they figured out it was faster to carry him

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rFx8rr4GLQU/Rudrm676F9I/AAAAAAAAANo/Ij-bX0nkg14/s400/Byron%2BLeftwich%2Bcarried%2Bby%2BOL%2Bin%2B2002.j pg

tony hipchest
05-05-2009, 01:10 AM
:laughing: a drunken Irishman can beat Lefty in a 40 yard dash.... :laughing:

lol. so much for the theory of all black qb's being looked at as the next slash. :noidea:

as unfortunate as it may be, however; i do think mike vick will probably be given a more legitimate shot as starter than lefty.

i think it sucks and is a mistake by many teams.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2009, 01:18 AM
lol. so much for the theory of all black qb's being looked at as the next slash. :noidea:

. Tony, I still think that athletic black QB's are looked at as possible WR's, KR's, or Wildcat QB's.

IMO, Dixon is a better QB than most give him credit for and therefore think he is some kind of conversion project. From day 1 I never thought the kid was gonna be anything but a QB. The fact that he is athletic just means he can escape the pocket if needed, not just be used for gadget packages.

steelwall
05-05-2009, 01:19 AM

as unfortunate as it may be, however; i do think mike vick will probably be given a more legitimate shot as starter than lefty.

i think it sucks and is a mistake by many teams.

Yeah Lefty is a good example of a black QB that is more of a pure passer....there's plenty of others too.

tony hipchest
05-05-2009, 01:31 AM
great pics gonzo...:laughing:

Yeah Lefty is a good example of a black QB that is more of a pure passer....there's plenty of others too.

yep. we drafted tee martin ahead of tom brady. infact, i think we drafted omar jacobs as a pure passer. charlie batch was never used in a wildcat role.

im not positive, but i dont think doug williams was ever looked at as a "slash" type player.

and all he did was win a superbowl and go on to be a successful college head coach.

steelwall
05-05-2009, 01:34 AM
great pics gonzo...:laughing:

yep. we drafted tee martin ahead of tom brady. infact, i think we drafted omar jacobs as a pure passer. charlie batch was never used in a wildcat role.

im not positive, but i dont think doug williams was ever looked at as a "slash" type player.

and all he did was win a superbowl and go on to be a successful college head coach.

Dang I forgot all about Tee....... Where the heck is he now?

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Dang I forgot all about Tee....... Where the heck is he now?

He was in the Canadian league where Tony's O line coach was working for a few years.

SteelerFanInATL
05-05-2009, 06:13 AM
As long as Batch is on the roster, he will be the number 2.....This season anyhow

I agree. I see Dixon moving to # 2 next season.

revefsreleets
05-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I tend to agree with you. I rarely heard any other athletic QB's like Eric Crouch, Matt Jones being mentioned in slash type hybrid roles. Even Jared Zabransky posted some of the better short shuttle and 3 cone drill times in his group, then ran a 4.55-40........and nobody touted him as a QB that might play slot receiver.

Dixon is a QB, first and foremost. I am still waiting to see him return kicks and play WR as many stereotyped him to be able to do last year. Saying he is a wildcat QB is like saying all Irish people drink and like to fight....IMO.

I don't understand this reasoning. You're saying it's better for the guy to waste a roster spot carrying a clipboard then to get on the field and utilize his clear God-given talent? The guy can flat-out PLAY FOOTBALL, and not just at the QB position. There's nothing stereotypical about that.

I don't question the FO about much, but I do about this. IMO last year Dixon ate a roster spot and contributed zero...that's not HIS fault, as I'm positive he'd have loved to see some PT in any capacity. I just don't think you let a healthy athlete like that rot on the bench just because he's primarily a 3rd string QB.

scsteeler
05-05-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't understand this reasoning. You're saying it's better for the guy to waste a roster spot carrying a clipboard then to get on the field and utilize his clear God-given talent? The guy can flat-out PLAY FOOTBALL, and not just at the QB position. There's nothing stereotypical about that.

I don't question the FO about much, but I do about this. IMO last year Dixon ate a roster spot and contributed zero...that's not HIS fault, as I'm positive he'd have loved to see some PT in any capacity. I just don't think you let a healthy athlete like that rot on the bench just because he's primarily a 3rd string QB.

He did not eat a roster spot if your plans are to use him at QB. Once Tim Tebow gets in the NFL if he is not the starter should they use him at Wide Receiver and if not would he be wasting a roster spot?????????

I don't have a problem with Dixon playing other positions other than QB if that is what the FO ask him to do but I think the plans are for him to be QB first and a runner by necessity

mmalone
05-05-2009, 03:13 PM
this is the year dennis needs to work into the #2 spot. batch is working on 13 years in the NFL . we need a young backup for ben. hopefully we have some nice leads in a few games this year so dennis can close out the 4th qtr a few times.

revefsreleets
05-05-2009, 04:45 PM
He did not eat a roster spot if your plans are to use him at QB. Once Tim Tebow gets in the NFL if he is not the starter should they use him at Wide Receiver and if not would he be wasting a roster spot?????????

I don't have a problem with Dixon playing other positions other than QB if that is what the FO ask him to do but I think the plans are for him to be QB first and a runner by necessity

Bad comparison...Tebow's chances of playing QB are slim.

And if the guy is a 3rd stringer, Hell ya, use him!

OneForTheToe
05-05-2009, 05:21 PM

I have to agree with that. There is nothing stereotypical about someone using the their talent to help the team they are on. If you are labeling a young QB, who you have never seen play, as an athletic QB just because because of th color of his skin, then yes that is stereotyping. On the other hand, Dixon's athletic abiltiy is a known quality. Therefore, I don't see how projecting Dixon into a slash type role is stereotyping. If my memory serves, Mark Malone still owns the Steelers' record for longest td reception.

However, I think we are missing an issue here. In two years of the Arians/Tomlin era, I've seen very little evidence that either hold "trickeration" in much regard. One might propose that they were just waiting for the correct personel, but with Hines and Santo, I think we had the players available. I can only conclude that neither is much interested in a wildcat format or running much "trickeration."

mmalone
05-05-2009, 07:35 PM
just hope this year arians decides to use some plays that can fool a high schooler. it is wierd watching the arians offense and being able to guess the plays before they happen. if i being an amatuer can call the play from my comfi chair then the DC from the opposing team must know for sure.... the no huddle works great, it is exciting to watch then and ben usually keeps on two feet.

BKAnthem
05-24-2009, 06:28 PM

Thank you

BKAnthem
05-24-2009, 06:35 PM
I have to agree with that. There is nothing stereotypical about someone using the their talent to help the team they are on. If you are labeling a young QB, who you have never seen play, as an athletic QB just because because of th color of his skin, then yes that is stereotyping. On the other hand, Dixon's athletic abiltiy is a known quality. Therefore, I don't see how projecting Dixon into a slash type role is stereotyping. If my memory serves, Mark Malone still owns the Steelers' record for longest td reception.

However, I think we are missing an issue here. In two years of the Arians/Tomlin era, I've seen very little evidence that either hold "trickeration" in much regard. One might propose that they were just waiting for the correct personel, but with Hines and Santo, I think we had the players available. I can only conclude that neither is much interested in a wildcat format or running much "trickeration."

Didn't Malone also tear up his knee playing out of position? Steelers receiving and rushing corps were fine last year...why does Dennis need to risk serious injury playing out position? he's a QB when his time comes it will come....