PDA

View Full Version : Steelcat?

SaskSteeler
05-03-2009, 03:50 PM
What do you think the chances are that we see the steelers implement their own version of the wildcat with Dennis dixon at quarterback?

billybob
05-03-2009, 04:09 PM
:noidea: , but i would not hold my breath on that scenario playing out .

KeiselPower99
05-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Didnt Tomlin already say they have some plays like that already in the playbook for Dixon?

Hotrodder07
05-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Didnt Tomlin already say they have some plays like that already in the playbook for Dixon?

I didn't here that. If he did, then that's good news, 'cause I want to see what Dixon can do.

ShutDown24
05-03-2009, 09:33 PM
People don't remember this, but the Steelers actually put the wildcat to use before anyone else last season. In the pre-season, Willie Parker lined up behind center and took a direct snap while Ben split out wide. The beat guys and reporters killed it in the media.

Considering that, I'd say they probably still have something developmental in the playbook. But that doesn't necessarily mean they'll ever use it.

Psyychoward86
05-03-2009, 10:09 PM
The wildcat formation is overrated. It's not a savior for any offense, and has to be used very sparingly to be effective. Dixon's got to really earn that #2 spot first as well.

scsteeler
05-03-2009, 10:32 PM
The wildcat as they call it in the NFL was run by a high school in my area 8+ years ago but we called it the Q-tail. It was done by using a running back and others in the area actually used it after seeing my alma mater use it. The High School is where Chis Hope formerly of the Steelers played at. By the way I saw Chris Hope at church today.

The Wildcat is useful in some games but not something that should be a main part of your offense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-04-2009, 01:20 AM
The wildcat formation is overrated. It's not a savior for any offense, and has to be used very sparingly to be effective. .

Exactly Psychoward!!!! Its a variation of the single wing offense that was used 50 years ago. Its nothing new, but rather something recycled and I hope the Steelers never use it again.

The Run n Shoot offense is at least an offense based on a philosophy of multiple WR routes and progressive reads..............the wildcat is for the mostpart a series of gimmick plays inserted into a normal system.

PeckerWood
05-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Wildcat or Steelcat is a singlewing offense.

steelreserve
05-04-2009, 11:17 AM
They've probably got some trick plays for him, whether you call it the wildcat or any other name. The main thing to determine whether we'll use them at all is whether we list Dixon as the No. 3 quarterback or something else. Kind of hard to run trick plays for the guy when he's not allowed into the game.

revefsreleets
05-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Well, it's a copycat league, and until someone figures out how to stop it, I'd be surprised if BA didn't institute a little single wing in the gadget play book this year...

fansince'76
05-04-2009, 12:12 PM
The wildcat formation is overrated. It's not a savior for any offense, and has to be used very sparingly to be effective.

Exactly. It's nothing more than a dated gimmick that worked well for one game for the Dolphins against the Cheatriots* this past season. Every other time it was tried by the Dolphins or any other team after that it was snuffed out, as teams were then watching for it, because all anybody heard for the next week after the Dolphins kicked the Cheatriots* asses with it was how the "new" Wildcat formation vanquished the mighty Pats*. :coffee:

revefsreleets
05-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Posted by Kirwan at the end of last season:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80c9ec68&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Wildcat is a fundamentally sound package and has its place in the pro game. It can be an effective package against teams without a good check package. It can also help an offense survive a injury to its quarterback.

No one should call it a gimmick. A double-reverse pass with the intention to fool a team is a gimmick, and the defense can't spend much time preparing for that. The Wildcat package can cause problems in a number of ways, and the defense knows it's coming at them.

And it just might be here to stay.

fansince'76
05-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Posted by Kirwan at the end of last season:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80c9ec68&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Wildcat is a fundamentally sound package and has its place in the pro game. It can be an effective package against teams without a good check package. It can also help an offense survive a injury to its quarterback.

No one should call it a gimmick. A double-reverse pass with the intention to fool a team is a gimmick, and the defense can't spend much time preparing for that. The Wildcat package can cause problems in a number of ways, and the defense knows it's coming at them.

And it just might be here to stay.

Good find, but I honestly don't recall seeing it used effectively by anybody this past season outside of the Dolphins against the Pats* in Foxboro. But Kirwan has probably forgotten more about football than I've ever known, so I'll shut my mouth at this point. :chuckle:

tyler289
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
The wildcat formation is overrated. It's not a savior for any offense, and has to be used very sparingly to be effective. Dixon's got to really earn that #2 spot first as well.

I feel like a team like Miami, with legitimate running or passing threats on every play, could really use it well. You have to have the right personnel for it, and most team's don't. I think it could be a solid part of an offense.

It failed against the good teams last season because the Dolphins had nobody who could run or pass on a consistent basis. Yea, Ronnie Brown threw some passes or whatever. This year, a guy like Pat White can come in, and defenses have to respect his ability to pass. It could be pretty lethal.

bigjamesharrison2
05-04-2009, 03:26 PM
As long as it keeps us winning, I don't care...

LukesDad88
05-04-2009, 05:57 PM
If we see the single wing at all, it means we're not getting the job done.

LVSteelersfan
05-04-2009, 06:25 PM
I hope we don't get too much into that old Slash routine with Dixon. Although it can be effective occasionally and delights the fans, it is not what we need to be doing to control the clock and win games. I hope we get back more to Parker and Mendenhall following Frank the Tank through a hole up the left side for 25 yards and a cloud of dust. That would be cool. Carey Davis can go bye bye. He is useless.

lilyoder6
05-04-2009, 06:39 PM
i think that with anything else ur going to need to the person be able to run good and pass good.. and it will be effective.. pat white is def a wildcat qb.. the same has vick would of been,..

Psyychoward86
05-04-2009, 06:45 PM
We had one wildcat play against the Cards in the Superbowl. Result: Epic fail. Speaks for itself. We dont need to copy the dolphins wildcat (i dont if they didnt invent it, whatever), and we dont need to imitate the Ravens odd gadget plays. We have the menacing talent to play straight up, and still keep defenses honest. On top of that, the wildcat doesnt work against disciplined defenses.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-04-2009, 08:29 PM
On top of that, the wildcat doesnt work against disciplined defenses.

:applaudit: So True!!

While their extensive use of the spread offense surprised Miami, the Dolphins' Wildcat formation was shut out after producing four touchdowns in six plays when they won at Foxborough in September. This time the Dolphins snapped directly to running back Ronnie Brown eight times, and the plays netted 25 yards.

"Having some time to prepare for it definitely helped," Belichick said.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap?game_id=29696&displayPage=tab_recap&season=2008&week=REG12&override=true

ricksteelers55
05-05-2009, 02:19 AM
The wildcat as they call it in the NFL was run by a high school in my area 8+ years ago but we called it the Q-tail. It was done by using a running back and others in the area actually used it after seeing my alma mater use it. The High School is where Chis Hope formerly of the Steelers played at. By the way I saw Chris Hope at church today.

The Wildcat is useful in some games but not something that should be a main part of your offense.

Yup...my favorite college team the Hawai'i Warriors are running the run and shoot offense which contains some ''wildcat'' formations for years now so I dont know what's the big deal with it